Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Maslyonok
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Maslyonok » Jul 8 2019, 16:51

Templayer wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:Not yet. What program should I use to add these items (recipes) to the character's inventory? I tried several character editors, but it didn’t work for me :wall:

It's said on the Tracker - a Cheat Engine was made specifically for the Merge! :wall:


Wow, thanks :D

GrayFace wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:Akhem. So, do I translate as is or edit this mess?

Editing should be the right call. Have you tested their descriptions in-game?


So, yep. I gotta fix it either in English and Russian text.
Image
Last edited by Maslyonok on Jul 8 2019, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Minotaur
Minotaur
Posts: 698
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jul 8 2019, 17:11

loboramdk wrote:
Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
What's that?

Point of View. You do not watch enough p-orn. :D :D :D

loboramdk wrote:Thank you so much for the additional information, and I will certainly leave those chests unopened, although the adventurer in me will have a much harder time turning its back on them :D

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? Join the line. You can loot those chests later. After map respawn. Maybe :hug:


Hello again, Just wanted to make something clear @Templayer, I can see you are most helpful and I get that answering all these sometimes quite mundane questions can leave you with a sense of irritation or just plainly bored, however making fun of people in here is not what this forum is for.
I get that a joke here and there might make your day a bit brighter, but for the people recieving it not so much, there is no telling how people react to your "jokes" so in order to not alienate or downright offend others, I would urge you to take it a bit easier on the first time posters and question askers like me, since I am pretty sure GrayFace has already gotten used to your "jokes".

Now onto the real reason I am writing in here again: Could the reason for the game crashing be that the loot in the chests isn't level appropriate?
Steelplate gloves and other higher leveled loot were in them, while my party was just begining the game (level around 5)
Also the chests in the Abandoned Temple are affected as well: https://imgur.com/a/knMGvZl

Noticed a "FixChests" option in the MM8.ini file, it is currently set to 1, but that seems to be right. Fix chests on, but has anyone else just tried to disable this option and see how the game handles that?

"Making fun of" - you mean myself? I have OCD. I once spend over 5 hours hauling all the garbage-tier items from Ironsand and selling it in a shop, even though I had 200k and I could make unlimited money by using the white-potion making tree.

Also the FixChests option is for chest overflow glitch - if a chest generates more stuff than what it is possible to physically fit in, then the rest of items will appear once you take some stuff up and reopen the chest. For me it is important to keep this on 1 as I have once lost a quest item due to how vanilla handles it (i.e. not at all)

Anubis wrote:
loboramdk wrote:One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?

Do you mean pressing the Caps-Lock key while using Mouse Look mode w/ GrayFace's patch? Pressing that button toggles it on and off.


He's got the Jamesx's version that has it on pretty much permanently.

EDIT: I might actually close the tab with this thread, for the first time in like two years. It's just too tedious.
Last edited by Templayer on Jul 8 2019, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Minotaur
Minotaur
Posts: 673
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Xfing » Jul 8 2019, 17:28

Maslyonok wrote:So, yep. I gotta fix it either in English and Russian text.
Image


Sweet that Rodril has actually implemented the added potion recipes after all! Typos are pretty much inevitable though.
Last edited by Xfing on Jul 8 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 10
Joined: 07 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby loboramdk » Jul 8 2019, 17:37

Thanks a bunch Anubis, very helpful and useful information. Have you experienced the crashes I have mentioned when opening chests in the MM678-merge, Dagger Wound Island?

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 10
Joined: 07 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby loboramdk » Jul 8 2019, 17:47

Templayer wrote:"Making fun of" - you mean myself? I have OCD. I once spend over 5 hours hauling all the garbage-tier items from Ironsand and selling it in a shop, even though I had 200k and I could make unlimited money by using the white-potion making tree.

Also the FixChests option is for chest overflow glitch - if a chest generates more stuff than what it is possible to physically fit in, then the rest of items will appear once you take some stuff up and reopen the chest. For me it is important to keep this on 1 as I have once lost a quest item due to how vanilla handles it (i.e. not at all)

Anubis wrote:
loboramdk wrote:One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?

Do you mean pressing the Caps-Lock key while using Mouse Look mode w/ GrayFace's patch? Pressing that button toggles it on and off.


He's got the Jamesx's version that has it on pretty much permanently.

EDIT: I might actually close the tab with this thread, for the first time in like two years. It's just too tedious.


@Templayer, thanks for clearing that up, it was not really an accusation though, and just to clarify I have done that many times the hauling low leveled items to the nearest shop :)

The White-Potion making tree does not ring a bell at all though, where and how does that work?

I did get the MM8.ini file edited to fit my style of playing though, so thanks for pointing me in that direction, Really helped me out.

FixChests has no affect on the gamecrashing chest opening though :(

One last time...I was not being all angry or up in arms over the "jokes", I just immediately thought of other people who might find that a bit too far, so I was trying to convey the point of view that it might not work as intended everytime m8. Also sorry to hear about ending the thread, this is an extremely useful forum for the Merge-build, and once I move out of the city I might very well start working on this project in my spare time too, hopefully you won't give up just yet.

User avatar
Maslyonok
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Maslyonok » Jul 8 2019, 18:36

Well, it's done, I think. I'm attaching files and the log.

Russian localization
Corrected original localization file

If you notice a typo or an error - tell me, and I'll fix it.

User avatar
Anubis
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 220
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Location: Canada

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Anubis » Jul 8 2019, 18:44

loboramdk wrote:Have you experienced the crashes I have mentioned when opening chests in the MM678-merge, Dagger Wound Island?


I haven't played the merge yet. If I had to guess, maybe turn the PaperDollInChests option off?
Last edited by Anubis on Jul 8 2019, 18:44, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 274
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby SpectralDragon » Jul 8 2019, 19:59

loboramdk wrote:
Templayer wrote:"Making fun of" - you mean myself? I have OCD. I once spend over 5 hours hauling all the garbage-tier items from Ironsand and selling it in a shop, even though I had 200k and I could make unlimited money by using the white-potion making tree.

Also the FixChests option is for chest overflow glitch - if a chest generates more stuff than what it is possible to physically fit in, then the rest of items will appear once you take some stuff up and reopen the chest. For me it is important to keep this on 1 as I have once lost a quest item due to how vanilla handles it (i.e. not at all)


@Templayer, thanks for clearing that up, it was not really an accusation though, and just to clarify I have done that many times the hauling low leveled items to the nearest shop :)

Done that myself as well even though even today I have absolutely no idea what and where this "white potion-making tree" is ^^; ... and tbh, I have no regrets as well. Recycling needs to exist in Enroth (as a planet) too. :D :D :D Not to even mention we all need cash for leveling up, he he he he he.

"/../ as I have once lost a quest item due to how vanilla handles it (i.e. not at all)" -> you mean Eclipse, don't you? :S Happened all the time with me in vanilla, only GrayFace's patch fixed that.

That aside, just to alert all existing and new people here, the only character left to be done for this mod that is absolutely mandatory is Zombie Troll and I'm gonna do that as usual (aka like I did Zombie Mino and Ghost Dragon). All other incoming characters like Troll Lich and various Dragon variants (1 at least, 3 at most) are completely optional and thus I'll only do them for this mod if I'm specifically asked to, as optional content is VERY frowned upon from what I've got in here. If there are people that will get the optional characters I'll do for this game (MM8), it's Templayer and Jamesx. Sorry, but as long as Rodril's absent that's what I'll do in order to not burden the guy with my stuff, as we already have bugs to fix and whatnot. :(
Yes?

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 274
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby SpectralDragon » Jul 8 2019, 20:47

Maslyonok wrote:Well, it's done, I think. I'm attaching files and the log.

Russian localization
Corrected original localization file

If you notice a typo or an error - tell me, and I'll fix it.

Excellent, thanks ... and speaking of typos/errors, did you notice some that even default MM8 has at times like wrong grammar, punctuation and so on? I'd like to point some out, but I dunno if Rodril/GrayFace/both of them already fixed them. ^^;
Yes?

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 274
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby SpectralDragon » Jul 9 2019, 8:25


Ok, better. Might not shot the bit where you manage to pixelate it without any rogue pixels, but thanks for it anyways. :tsup:
Yes?

User avatar
Maslyonok
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Maslyonok » Jul 9 2019, 10:05

I would be interested to know if the text that Verdant says has changed during the development of the mod? Because I look at the original text *stares*, I look at the translation *glares* and ... they almost do not match! As if the translation was done on the OLD text. Well, or the translator allowed himself too much wheeze. Tell me, is it something I don’t understand or something else?

For understanding, I will give the original text and text-translation, which I will translate again into English for convenience
Original text (file NPCText, string 2152)

What I need you to do is really rather simple in concept. Basically, I know you’re capable of saving the world, so I will need you to do it a few more times. Just three times total, don’t worry! With the other two groups of heroes currently or permanently indisposed, you’ve got to pick up the slack or things will get really messed up. I mean, really: the history will rewrite itself, and, given the scope of changes and the amount of lives affected, who knows. The history might just say ‘Enough is enough!’ and explode everything. A wild, yet educated, guess. So you see the problem.
Oh, you didn’t know you were heroes? Right, right, I tend to forget how stable-timed people operate and think. Of course. Well, yes, welcome to the hero-dom. You can try to escape your path, but in all honesty, it will be much easier to just get the world saving done.
Personally, I think I actually love this idea. It may sound cold, but I can’t help it, heroes are my weakness. And three time world-savers? I’m about to melt on the spot. Mrrrau! A silver lining, you may call it, yeah?

And the translation of the same line in the "Russian" file (English-Russian-English, lol)

As I have already told you, two squads of heroes disappeared from the general line of reality. Rather, they are not completely disappeared. I tried to spy for them. Several alternative lines of development have emerged and they are there. At present, the situation is such that, according to our calculations, several alternative lines of development should collapse into one general line. Nobody knows how this will happen, there are many options and all of them are bad for us. Good that I've met you. And it gives me hope for a happy outcome.

I just can leave this translation as it is or have to shovel everything in a new way. I wonder if the expression "to shovel?" exists in English.

SpectralDragon wrote:Excellent, thanks ... and speaking of typos/errors, did you notice some that even default MM8 has at times like wrong grammar, punctuation and so on? I'd like to point some out, but I dunno if Rodril/GrayFace/both of them already fixed them. ^^;

I have not noticed (for now), but if you tell me where the error is, I will check it for sure. :)

User avatar
GrayFace
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1385
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby GrayFace » Jul 9 2019, 20:08

Emjayen wrote:SIMD doesn't benefit workloads that are bound by memory throughput (the same reason say, multithreading doesn't benefit I/O-bound workloads)

That being said, I'm assuming you're basically just blitting the UI in software and not doing anything processor intensive (like complex blending/filtering) which may indeed be another story.

I'll test it when I get home. Yes, it's a simple kinda-linear scaling.

Emjayen wrote:
GrayFace wrote:From the number of times interface is drawn per minute.

What does that mean exactly? I suspect what's going on is you're measuring the number of times Present() (or flipping the primary surface) is being performed, which isn't accurate as you're just measuring how fast the driver thread can consume the command queue / synchronize the swapchain with DWM.

The number of FrontBuffer.Blt(BackBuffer) basically.

SpectralDragon wrote:
GrayFace wrote:What's CTD?

As much as I know, it's "Crash To Desktop".

Quite a pointless abbreviation. What else could a crash be?

Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
loboramdk wrote:One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?

What's that?

Point of View. You do not watch enough p-orn. :D :D :D

It's the "mouse-lock" part that isn't clear. Never seen it used in porn somehow.

loboramdk wrote:Now onto the real reason I am writing in here again: Could the reason for the game crashing be that the loot in the chests isn't level appropriate?
Steelplate gloves and other higher leveled loot were in them, while my party was just begining the game (level around 5)
Also the chests in the Abandoned Temple are affected as well: https://imgur.com/a/knMGvZl

Send me the ErrorLog.txt into PM.

Anubis wrote:If you recall the Arcomage reward chest in Might and Magic 7 or even that special teleporter chest in Barrow Downs (I haven't really played MM8 that much which is why I'm using MM7 chests as an example), they're flooded with loot. If the FixChests option were off, you would only be able to loot what was shown when you open that chest. Re-opening it won't give you the other available loot. With the FixChests option on, you're now able to reopen chests and get other loot that wasn't shown before.

Which is the reason I'm moving away from FixChests=1. Barrow Downs chest was intended to be just 100% full with stuff, not multiple screens-full. With FixChestsByReorder quest items can't get lost and in the upcoming patch version non-random compact chest population would be used if random one failed to fit stuff well.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 274
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby SpectralDragon » Jul 9 2019, 20:52

GrayFace wrote:Quite a pointless abbreviation. What else could a crash be?

Which is the reason I'm moving away from FixChests=1. Barrow Downs chest was intended to be just 100% full with stuff, not multiple screens-full. With FixChestsByReorder quest items can't get lost and in the upcoming patch version non-random compact chest population would be used if random one failed to fit stuff well.

Could also be a "freeze" sort of a crash from my knowledge, which is even worse than a CTD, since it forces you to restart your entire system. :S Others, I don't know ... if you ask me, that is.

Sounds absolutely fruity-loops delicious. Will that be in all patches you do (MM6 + MM7 + MM8 + Merge) or just Merge?
Last edited by SpectralDragon on Jul 9 2019, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

User avatar
GrayFace
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1385
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby GrayFace » Jul 10 2019, 2:28

SpectralDragon wrote:Could also be a "freeze" sort of a crash from my knowledge, which is even worse than a CTD, since it forces you to restart your entire system. :S

That's not a crash, it's a freeze/hang.

SpectralDragon wrote:Sounds absolutely fruity-loops delicious. Will that be in all patches you do (MM6 + MM7 + MM8 + Merge) or just Merge?

All patches, sure.
Last edited by GrayFace on Jul 10 2019, 2:30, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
alekssandros
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 27
Joined: 18 Jun 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby alekssandros » Jul 10 2019, 11:25

GrayFace wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:
GrayFace wrote:What's CTD?

As much as I know, it's "Crash To Desktop".

Quite a pointless abbreviation. What else could a crash be?



Well, in my 43 years I saw, crashes that let all black, crashes that freeze the game, crashes that restart the PC (just 2 times happens to me) and how to forget the oldie windows blue screen that I dont see since decades ago!

Image
Last edited by alekssandros on Jul 10 2019, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alekssandros
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 27
Joined: 18 Jun 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby alekssandros » Jul 10 2019, 14:51

alekssandros wrote:Guys! Just got a bug with the reputation counter T_T dunno if is the keep (south of Frozen Highlands) or just it happens T_T

I save the game with 73 of reputation, and when I load I get 0 T_T

Someone has happened it this before? Is solved?


Again this bug :( Is there some way to solve this? For the moment I solved it going back with saves. But I am afraid because I some time forget to save often

User avatar
Thonkerton
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Thonkerton » Jul 11 2019, 14:22

Chokk wrote:Finally I made my way to the Breach but I might experience a bug. I will try to avoid spoiler :
I can't answer properly the riddles. When I give the same answer to the same riddle, it can be sometimes right, and sometimes I'm kicked outside.
I tried a lot, noticed that the riddles giver change sometimes, but no way to go through this.
Someone can tell me at least if this is intended or not, and if I have to find something else before answering the riddles.
Note that my party is full.

I had the same issue when I was playing full screen windowed. When I toggled it to regular windowed (f4), most of that went away and I was able to continue the game. For me, I answered the riddle correctly and I wasn't able to answer another riddle in succession like one sometimes can, instead I had to wander around the town and do about a dozen riddles until obvious progression happens. It may have just been luck and effectively done the same regardless of full/windowed screen and I just had to do it over and over, at any rate that part is doable.
Another text input issue happens with Telelocator, I'm unable to use spaces in it, it breaks the UI and generally jams, won't freeze the game tho.

User avatar
Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 71
Joined: 31 Jan 2018
Location: Russia

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Jamesx » Jul 11 2019, 15:52

Templayer wrote:Casts blame* Could you check it for me? He's got your folder. :hug:

Tried it few minutes ago. Works fine, I opened those chests without any problems. Idk what happened. Maybe it's because of localization? :S
P.S. Rodrill is still not appeared? Any news? :|
Last edited by Jamesx on Jul 11 2019, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 274
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby SpectralDragon » Jul 11 2019, 17:00

Jamesx wrote:Tried it few minutes ago. Works fine, I opened those chests without any problems. Idk what happened. Maybe it's because of localization? :S
P.S. Rodrill is still not appeared? Any news? :|

I'm asking the exact same thing, since I dread that if this persist past September then we'll need to split this mod between multiple coders like you, Templayer and GrayFace just to keep it alive when it comes to bug fixes alone. :S :S Same with adding remaining stuff needed to be added, since who'll add them if the leader cannot due to critical existence failure?
Last edited by SpectralDragon on Jul 11 2019, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

User avatar
Maslyonok
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Postby Maslyonok » Jul 11 2019, 18:50

Little by little I'm updating the R. localization
new RU

SpectralDragon wrote:
Jamesx wrote:Tried it few minutes ago. Works fine, I opened those chests without any problems. Idk what happened. Maybe it's because of localization? :S
P.S. Rodrill is still not appeared? Any news? :|

I'm asking the exact same thing, since I dread that if this persist past September then we'll need to split this mod between multiple coders like you, Templayer and GrayFace just to keep it alive when it comes to bug fixes alone. :S :S Same with adding remaining stuff needed to be added, since who'll add them if the leader cannot due to critical existence failure?


There is no way to transfer the authority of the project leader to someone else?


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests