Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2019, 04:12

I think I'd go with the green one too, his face is more expressive

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 26 Jun 2019, 07:58

GUYS! How can I modify the cross that appears when I cast a spell?

in HD when is snowing/strong raining the cros is almost invisible :( and I dont ant to take off the weather (By the way, I LOVE IT!! CONGRATS to who did that!!!!)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Jun 2019, 08:44

alekssandros wrote:GUYS! How can I modify the cross that appears when I cast a spell?
Create a cursor and save it as Data\MouseCursorTarget.cur
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 09:08

Xfing wrote:I think I'd go with the green one too, his face is more expressive
Ditto, in a way (since in my case, I just don't find him as nice as I find the blue one, I blame it all on the fact I've seen Volog first when I was little. X'D) and you can be sure I'll make it be worthy of this mod, even if I might get hated for it again.

Speaking of hate, I know I'll get it again for showing this, but yeah, got this curiosity from acidcave.
No idea if she's supposed to be a PC or a NPC.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 26 Jun 2019, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 26 Jun 2019, 09:15

GrayFace wrote:
alekssandros wrote:GUYS! How can I modify the cross that appears when I cast a spell?
Create a cursor and save it as Data\MouseCursorTarget.cur
Too green in this, sorry

How I create a cursor? I saw (and modify) the mouse arrow .bmp...

Creating cursor .cur is the same? Create a cross .bmp and then rename it? Sorry again for my greeness =P

PS: Yesterday, tooks me 2 hours to understand how to modify the tables to put the stupid compass in the middle superior of the screen xD

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 09:46

alekssandros wrote:Too green in this, sorry

Creating cursor .cur is the same? Create a cross .bmp and then rename it? Sorry again for my greeness =P

PS: Yesterday, tooks me 2 hours to understand how to modify the tables to put the stupid compass in the middle superior of the screen xD
Yeah, should be like this, even though seeing how I've found a PNG to CUR converter via a simple Google search you can very well do a MouseCursorTarget.png and then use the converter online to convert it to .cur in order to avoid any ... unexpected problems.

I'm as green as you though, so please take what I say with a grain of salt, if not the entire salt field. ^^;
Yes?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Jun 2019, 10:00

SpectralDragon wrote:I tried my best with this one. If it cannot replace the Dragon you get as a reward for completing the Warlock promotion quest in MM7-bit of this mod (which I've actually meant there, not vanilla MM7), then there's nothing that would make it useful in the game/mod. I made it like this so that it makes sense in the game-world (since how many Jadamean Dragons would try cross the sea/ocean separating Jadame from Antagarich?), but well, if this isn't enough, then I essentially wasted those weeks of making it work for nothing.
It's just a red dragon, why do you say it's Jadamean? I'd like the black one to be activated by an optional script downloaded from the 1st post. In addition, a similar script could replace some MM8 dragon in a cave. And then there's also an option of starting with it with the Unlocker.
Xfing wrote:Like I said, two separate teams were working on MM and HoMM and the communication between them was less than ideal, that's probably why you see different looking dragons in HoMM3 compared to MM6-8.
I always thought they were the same, but indeed looks like the models were modified going from H3 to MM7. They're certainly not as different as MM6 vs MM7 dragons though.
Xfing wrote:I feel that's actually a different thing, because people's outrage at the Forge town and considering it "inappropriate" usually weakens drastically the more a person actually knows about M&M lore... Yeah, I like lore too, and I still can't live down the fact that Forge got scrapped.
Which is weird to me. Considering Ancients have futuristic tech like blasters etc, why would they still have chainsaws, grenade launchers and caterpillars of our age? (no idea what MM1-5 games had though) Like a "history of tech" section in their forge? Ok. Then maybe such primitive tech was easier to replicate and blasters were instead made by the forge itself. Nagas are animated undead, so they don't mind their bottom removed. So, it all can be rationalized to fit the lore, but it's not something completely natural to the lore. Especially the fact that goblins wielding the strongest weapon of MM games are so relatively weak. 4 goblins from Harmondale should teach them a lesson in killing dragons single-handedly :D And putting all of that aside, it's still a crazy-ass cyberpunk. They really went wild with it.
alekssandros wrote:How I create a cursor? I saw (and modify) the mouse arrow .bmp...

Cursors can be changed with IcoFX for example. Here's the one from the game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q479isf3sexqy ... t.cur?dl=1
alekssandros wrote:PS: Yesterday, tooks me 2 hours to understand how to modify the tables to put the stupid compass in the middle superior of the screen xD
Ha, so you actually use compass and needed it at the top in the middle of the screen? Do you look at it often?
Last edited by GrayFace on 26 Jun 2019, 10:03, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2019, 10:35

GrayFace wrote: Which is weird to me. Considering Ancients have futuristic tech like blasters etc, why would they still have chainsaws, grenade launchers and caterpillars of our age?
Yeah, some of the tech in the Forge was somewhat less advanced than the fully futuristic, space-age high tech of the Ancients. But I feel the bigger problem with it was that it was not medieval technology, because anything more advanced than that is bad and doesn't fit.At least these are the vibes you get from the fans :D
(no idea what MM1-5 games had though)
Mostly Star Trek- like stuff. Spaceships, sentient computers, futuristic installations. Cliche late 80s/early 90s ideas of high technology.
Like a "history of tech" section in their forge? Ok. Then maybe such primitive tech was easier to replicate and blasters were instead made by the forge itself. Nagas are animated undead, so they don't mind their bottom removed.
Nagas are undead? Interesting, I had no idea. But even if that's their source lore explanation, I never got any indication of that from either Homm3 or MM8, where they are as enemies. They are not undead for gameplay purposes either. Which brings me to that technology part - the treads and overall the nagas featured rather heavy cybernetic augmentations (at least in concept art), which is definitely technology that can still be considered well beyond what we do even today (much less in 1999).
So, it all can be rationalized to fit the lore, but it's not something completely natural to the lore. Especially the fact that goblins wielding the strongest weapon of MM games are so relatively weak. 4 goblins from Harmondale should teach them a lesson in killing dragons single-handedly :D And putting all of that aside, it's still a crazy-ass cyberpunk. They really went wild with it.
Well to be fair that "strongest weapon" thing is debatable I think, as blasters don't perform that well without Haste. With it though, yeah they're pretty amazing. But in close combat a highly skilled GM in Armsmaster is definitely more efficient than even that IMO.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 10:45

GrayFace wrote:It's just a red dragon, why do you say it's Jadamean? I'd like the black one to be activated by an optional script downloaded from the 1st post. In addition, a similar script could replace some MM8 dragon in a cave. And then there's also an option of starting with it with the Unlocker.
Xfing wrote:Like I said, two separate teams were working on MM and HoMM and the communication between them was less than ideal, that's probably why you see different looking dragons in HoMM3 compared to MM6-8.
I always thought they were the same, but indeed looks like the models were modified going from H3 to MM7. They're certainly not as different as MM6 vs MM7 dragons though.
Xfing wrote:I feel that's actually a different thing, because people's outrage at the Forge town and considering it "inappropriate" usually weakens drastically the more a person actually knows about M&M lore... Yeah, I like lore too, and I still can't live down the fact that Forge got scrapped.
Which is weird to me. Considering Ancients have futuristic tech like blasters etc, why would they still have chainsaws, grenade launchers and caterpillars of our age? (no idea what MM1-5 games had though) Like a "history of tech" section in their forge? Ok. Then maybe such primitive tech was easier to replicate and blasters were instead made by the forge itself. Nagas are animated undead, so they don't mind their bottom removed. So, it all can be rationalized to fit the lore, but it's not something completely natural to the lore. Especially the fact that goblins wielding the strongest weapon of MM games are so relatively weak. 4 goblins from Harmondale should teach them a lesson in killing dragons single-handedly :D And putting all of that aside, it's still a crazy-ass cyberpunk. They really went wild with it.
Was too much dedicated to that exact goal and I apologise for it sincerely. The entire "Jadamean Red Dragon" thing happened because of outside differences (different looks and all) and due to us all seeing them in MM8 for the 1st time. :ashamed: I had since accepted that the Black Dragon can very well be just an optional addition like any other Dragon variant that might come here, in another optional mod or not, PC or NPC only ... and speaking of other Dragon variants, even if you might not wish any more optional content from my side, which ones would you still wish to see be available? I'm currently thinking of making Green, Gold and Azure ones into PCs as well once I'm done with Trolls, mainly to make the number even like MM games like to do nowadays (2 Minos, 2 Trolls, 4 Vampires, 4 Dark Elves ...).

With ya both on Forge beings ... and speaking of MM4 - MM5 Ancient tech, apparently you get to actually fight robots on caterpillars, so that's kind of an oddity ... and I also wonder if the Soul Cube is sort of an Ancient artifact as well, given its function (which is pretty different considering Control Cubes from MM6 and MM7).
Or even one goblin, that is. Potentially a Lich. :D :D
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 26 Jun 2019, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Troll to be Zombified for the FINAL base game addition

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Jun 2019, 10:50

SpectralDragon wrote:@everyone, which Troll should be Zombified, Green Troll (Overdune) or Blue Troll (Volog)? My vote is on the Green Troll, but don't be afraid to say otherwise, like Templayer did with his vote on the Blue Troll. ;) :tsup:
I think the shape of blue one's face is better suited for lichification.
Xfing wrote:Nagas are undead? Interesting, I had no idea. But even if that's their source lore explanation, I never got any indication of that from either Homm3 or MM8, where they are as enemies. They are not undead for gameplay purposes either. Which brings me to that technology part - the treads and overall the nagas featured rather heavy cybernetic augmentations (at least in concept art), which is definitely technology that can still be considered well beyond what we do even today (much less in 1999).
I misworded it. I meant: if tank-nagas are undead, it would explain why they don't mind the transformation.
Xfing wrote:Well to be fair that "strongest weapon" thing is debatable I think, as blasters don't perform that well without Haste.
Yes, definitely.
Xfing wrote:With it though, yeah they're pretty amazing. But in close combat a highly skilled GM in Armsmaster is definitely more efficient than even that IMO.
Depends on the skill. If it's "train as far as your experience takes you", then yes. (also gotta have a Spirit or Light caster)

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 10:54

Xfing wrote:Yeah, some of the tech in the Forge was somewhat less advanced than the fully futuristic, space-age high tech of the Ancients. But I feel the bigger problem with it was that it was not medieval technology, because anything more advanced than that is bad and doesn't fit. At least these are the vibes you get from the fans :D

Mostly Star Trek- like stuff. Spaceships, sentient computers, futuristic installations. Cliche late 80s/early 90s ideas of high technology.
Speaking of fully futuristic space-age high tech, now I REALLY wonder what would happen if said thing turns out to not be 90s-tech (or just 90s), but (also) 2000s tech, especially nowadays in 2019. :D :D :D Smart drones and whatnot ...

With "sentient computers", why did I think of HAL first?? :D :D
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 10:56

GrayFace wrote: I think the shape of blue one's face is better suited for lichification.
My thoughts exactly! :tsup: Tbh, I always planned for the Green Troll to be a Zombie and a Blue Troll to be a Lich, really, but well, my plans are adaptable just in case the other would prevail and all.

Oh and yes, still confused on how to work with missing apparels like helmets and boots and cloaks. ^^;;
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 26 Jun 2019, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2019, 11:22

SpectralDragon wrote:
Xfing wrote:Yeah, some of the tech in the Forge was somewhat less advanced than the fully futuristic, space-age high tech of the Ancients. But I feel the bigger problem with it was that it was not medieval technology, because anything more advanced than that is bad and doesn't fit. At least these are the vibes you get from the fans :D

Speaking of fully futuristic space-age high tech, now I REALLY wonder what would happen if said thing turns out to not be 90s-tech (or just 90s), but (also) 2000s tech, especially nowadays in 2019. :D :D :D Smart drones and whatnot ...

With "sentient computers", why did I think of HAL first?? :D :D
Aye, I guess Melian from MM6 would also give these vibes, especially since HAL is still the most well-known sentient computer in fiction I guess.

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 26 Jun 2019, 11:30

SpectralDragon wrote:
alekssandros wrote:Too green in this, sorry

Yeah, should be like this, even though seeing how I've found a PNG to CUR converter via a simple Google search you can very well do a MouseCursorTarget.png and then use the converter online to convert it to .cur in order to avoid any ... unexpected problems.

I'm as green as you though, so please take what I say with a grain of salt, if not the entire salt field. ^^;
it works! thanks to both

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 11:36

Xfing wrote:Aye, I guess Melian from MM6 would also give these vibes, especially since HAL is still the most well-known sentient computer in fiction I guess.
Only that Melian is a good sentient one and it's instead her (or its) Droids inside that had went rogue. ^^; :D Also, your status, "Lord of the High-Slung Bottoms of Zob" with 666 posts. I love this forum.
alekssandros wrote:It works! thanks to both
Cheers! :D
Yes?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 26 Jun 2019, 11:52

GrayFace wrote:[
alekssandros wrote:PS: Yesterday, tooks me 2 hours to understand how to modify the tables to put the stupid compass in the middle superior of the screen xD
Ha, so you actually use compass and needed it at the top in the middle of the screen? Do you look at it often?
Playing mm6 since 90's and I still get lost in Free Haven :yes:

I stole from there an enchanted electrical arrow cursor :tsup:
Last edited by alekssandros on 26 Jun 2019, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Jun 2019, 15:01

Sometime in the future my patches would probably support sprites with alpha channel. Keep this in mind when making new monsters etc.
[edit] Forgot to say it will only be the case in Hardware mode.
Last edited by GrayFace on 26 Jun 2019, 23:36, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 26 Jun 2019, 15:47

GrayFace wrote:Sometime in the future my patches would probably support sprites with alpha channel. Keep this in mind when making new monsters etc.
Got it (I'll probably still make both the transparent and the blue version just to be sure). :tsup: Speaking of monsters, aside changing color schemes of Crystal enemies to match their name (Sapphire, Ruby), any other monsters you had in mind, even if optional?
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 26 Jun 2019, 15:48

SpectralDragon wrote:
GrayFace wrote: I think the shape of blue one's face is better suited for lichification.
My thoughts exactly! :tsup: Tbh, I always planned for the Green Troll to be a Zombie and a Blue Troll to be a Lich, really, but well, my plans are adaptable just in case the other would prevail and all.
I retract my vote on the blue one being zombified. Your idea is better.
GrayFace wrote:Sometime in the future my patches would probably support sprites with alpha channel. Keep this in mind when making new monsters etc.
What about ... PARTIAL TRANSPARENCY? :yes:
No more rogue azure pixels!
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 26 Jun 2019, 16:18

SpectralDragon wrote: Speaking of hate, I know I'll get it again for showing this, but yeah, got this curiosity from acidcave.
No idea if she's supposed to be a PC or a NPC.
Hah, very cute))) But she looks like a horned khajiit from TES :D I thought that female mino is just a cow isn't it? :D

Return to “Might and Magic”