Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Jun 2019, 10:31

Templayer wrote:I would like to thank you both for trying so hard to get my work implemented. I seriously couldn't have handled downgrading it to a cr-aptastic ancient codec. I seriously wish that GrayFace will modify it so that the game would accept and play any .wav or .mp3 for non-music audio, like he did for the music (which was originally in the redbook format, if I remember correctly).
Ditto and hey, doing all heavy lifting, so that Rodril doesn˙t have to.

NPC! :D
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 11:44

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:I would like to thank you both for trying so hard to get my work implemented. I seriously couldn't have handled downgrading it to a cr-aptastic ancient codec. I seriously wish that GrayFace will modify it so that the game would accept and play any .wav or .mp3 for non-music audio, like he did for the music (which was originally in the redbook format, if I remember correctly).

I love seeing the progress on the Black Dragon!
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 12:28

SpectralDragon wrote:

Wait. Did you guys TRY using an uncompressed wav ? :D

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Jun 2019, 12:39

Templayer wrote:Wait. Did you guys TRY using an uncompressed wav ? :D
No, since you said that those are "source" files aka not compressed enough for the game. Even though I suspect that even if uncompressed they won´t work because their specs are not recognized by the game. :(

Not sure if Jamesx did as well. Maybe you should ask him.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 23 Jun 2019, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jun 2019, 12:47

Templayer wrote: "the class skill bonus/penalty system is conceptually better suited for the base game" - This must NEVER be for the BASE merge. As an optional modification? Fine. But stop forcing non-vanilla limitations onto others. You have tried that numerous times in this thread. I'm tired of it. Seriously. :wall:
Please stop doing this. Your condescending and domineering behavior in response to perfectly civil suggestions has already led you to blocking one person who just didn't want to take it. And no, pointing this out isn't "harassment".
Last edited by Xfing on 23 Jun 2019, 12:51, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Jun 2019, 13:41

Just remember, Rodril is ultimately the leader of this project. He might as well deny all extra options we're doing for this mod if he sees us be like this ... and he can come back at any moment if he didn't abandon this!

Good Ancients, 3K+ posts. I'd say it's about time this one gets another foothold on the Web, even if I don't know where.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 23 Jun 2019, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 14:39

SpectralDragon wrote:Just remember, Rodril is ultimately the leader of this project. He might as well deny all extra options we're doing for this mod if he sees us be like this ... and he can come back at any moment if he didn't abandon this!

Good Ancients, 3K+ posts. I'd say it's about time this one gets another foothold on the Web, even if I don't know where.
That is the thing I am constantly saying - I do not have a problem with xfing's suggestion being optional, i.e. an extra option.
The problem steems from him trying to make it obligatory.
SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:Wait. Did you guys TRY using an uncompressed wav ? :D
No, since you said that those are "source" files aka not compressed enough for the game. Even though I suspect that even if uncompressed they won´t work because their specs are not recognized by the game. :(

Not sure if Jamesx did as well. Maybe you should ask him.
Source doesn't automatically mean "not compressed enough for the project", but just that - a source. If I did it the way you think I did, would have made uncompressed wav files in the first place. But I did make 320 kb/s .mp3 in a format that I believe could be used in-game as well, since .mp3 compresses it enough to be usable like that. :P
Xfing wrote:
Templayer wrote: "the class skill bonus/penalty system is conceptually better suited for the base game" - This must NEVER be for the BASE merge. As an optional modification? Fine. But stop forcing non-vanilla limitations onto others. You have tried that numerous times in this thread. I'm tired of it. Seriously. :wall:
Please stop doing this. Your condescending and domineering behavior in response to perfectly civil suggestions has already led you to blocking one person who just didn't want to take it. And no, pointing this out isn't "harassment".
Fine, I'll stop. Bye.

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 23 Jun 2019, 15:17

With the amount of suggestions that keep coming in, maybe things should be put to a vote, with rodril able to veto any and all suggestions as he deems necessary.

Also, what's wrong with the merge having limitations like the base? Especially when the unlockers remove those limitations and add new options in? There are literally thousands of mods that are for specific things or have other limitations. If one person doesnt want limitations, then use the unlocker to remove those limitations.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jun 2019, 15:37

Templayer wrote: I do not have a problem with xfing's suggestion being optional, i.e. an extra option.
I'm not "trying" to make anything obligatory, as it's not my decision to make. I'm just expressing my opinion that it would be a good feature to have. It's not your decision to make either, so stop acting like you're in control and throwing tantrums when someone challenges that.
Roticet wrote: Also, what's wrong with the merge having limitations like the base? Especially when the unlockers remove those limitations and add new options in? There are literally thousands of mods that are for specific things or have other limitations. If one person doesnt want limitations, then use the unlocker to remove those limitations.
Exactly, not much would change in such a scenario, and more options would be unlocked, which I elaborated upon at length in one of the previous posts. Sure, it could be an optional feature, but it being in the base game would create a sense of legitimacy that would actually make players enjoy having those differences more. Again, a HotA vs WoG approach, basically. It's up to Rodril to decide at the end of the day, so no need to overreact.
Last edited by Xfing on 23 Jun 2019, 15:48, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Jun 2019, 16:39

Templayer wrote:That is the thing I am constantly saying - I do not have a problem with xfing's suggestion being optional, i.e. an extra option.

Source doesn't automatically mean "not compressed enough for the project", but just that - a source. If I did it the way you think I did, would have made uncompressed wav files in the first place. But I did make 320 kb/s .mp3 in a format that I believe could be used in-game as well, since .mp3 compresses it enough to be usable like that. :P
On that I'll still not comment at all. I'll just leave it to Rodril to sort it out if you and them cannot, as if you ask me, both with and without those suggestions is ok for me. Of those things I only wish one thing is in effect: for a penalty/ies, there needs to be a bonus/es. That's all. (shrug)
I still wish Dragon melee fighting would be implemented more than those suggestions, honestly, both in base/core MM8 and this mod.

About that, I'm afraid you'll need to talk to Jamesx, not me. He's more versed in said thing (even if sounds isn't his thing according to him), not me. Send him an email or something. I'm still busy with the Black one after all ... and I'd suggest you chat with GrayFace about making the game read non-music .mp3s just as well as it reads non-music (read "voice") .wavs. (shrug)
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 23 Jun 2019, 16:43, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 23 Jun 2019, 18:16

:wave: Ok, people, I have some great, gracious news and some not-so-great news.

:D :D Black Dragon, an optional replacement for the Red Dragon after doing the Warlock promotion quest, is complete! :D :D

:down:
You can get its source files (RGB .pngs) HERE: https://sta.sh/028mcmbww6bb

On the other hand, I did get info that this mod is potentially dead and that nothing we do matters in the end, as it won˙t be implemented anyways (this is what happens when a mod is dead after all), so with that I˙m saying goodbye to all of you great people. Yes, I know what this means: no more "hole-fillers" (Troll Zombie, missing armors, weapons and apparel) as well as optional stuff from my side (Troll Lich, Vampires including Blood Dragon, Zombie Liches, Gold and/or Azure Dragon) to be added in, but well, I have much more important stuff to do in my life than to spend WEEKS in doing assets I know would never be implemented here in the end (or in any other mod for all I know about). I´m very sad to see this mod go this way because it definitely has the greatest potential in the world and I wouldn˙t be more happy than to see it grow into a flowering beauty it˙s destined to be. But alas, if this is its end, then I have only one thing to say about it.

Thank you, Rodril, GrayFace and other coders as well as people that either worked or are still working on it, for it. It´s been the greatest honor to be working all of you legends. I´ve never deserved it.

:angel: Farewell and I´m giving you best wishes I can for all of you. :angel:
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 18:35

SpectralDragon wrote: On the other hand, I did get info that this mod is potentially dead and that nothing we do matters in the end, as it won˙t be implemented anyways (this is what happens when a mod is dead after all), so with that I˙m saying goodbye to all of you great people. Yes, I know what this means: no more "hole-fillers" (Troll Zombie, missing armors, weapons and apparel) as well as optional stuff from my side (Troll Lich, Vampires including Blood Dragon, Zombie Liches, Gold and/or Azure Dragon) to be added in, but well, I have much more important stuff to do in my life than to spend WEEKS in doing assets I know would never be implemented here in the end (or in any other mod for all I know about). I´m very sad to see this mod go this way because it definitely has the greatest potential in the world and I wouldn˙t be more happy than to see it grow into a flowering beauty it˙s destined to be. But alas, if this is its end, then I have only one thing to say about it.

Thank you, Rodril, GrayFace and other coders as well as people that either worked or are still working on it, for it. It´s been the greatest honor to be working all of you legends. I´ve never deserved it.

:angel: Farewell and I´m giving you best wishes I can for all of you. :angel:
Could you perhaps share your info and sources?

Crusader_bin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crusader_bin » 23 Jun 2019, 18:38

Lol and what happened? Don't get me wrong, I think what it looks like right now is great as it is, also don't mind any extra content not being added, I felt that was not the intention in the first place, but a bit sad that all 3 games assets haven't been reintroduced in the end. Because right now I do wonder whether to play all 3 games separately for the first time or with the merged mod... But even if it's true there will be no more updates, a job damn well done in the first place.I wanted to try my way with the gimp and MM6 assets, but oh well :)
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun!

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 19:36

Crusader_bin wrote:Lol and what happened? Don't get me wrong, I think what it looks like right now is great as it is, also don't mind any extra content not being added, I felt that was not the intention in the first place, but a bit sad that all 3 games assets haven't been reintroduced in the end. Because right now I do wonder whether to play all 3 games separately for the first time or with the merged mod... But even if it's true there will be no more updates, a job damn well done in the first place.I wanted to try my way with the gimp and MM6 assets, but oh well :)
If you mean armours then I believe anyone can add those to the Merge. If I can do it, anyone can.

It's worse for some other unimplemented things. Was Thieving implemented? Diplomacy?

Same as armours for the sounds and new characters - those are rather easy to add as long as they are in the lod and the tables reference them. (since you are not making new classes or new races, just adding variations to existing that are already coded). Except maybe for the Lich transformation, but if Dracolich Lich promotion is coded, (since he is already implemented) then it is a matter of finding the script for that and copy pasting some stuff just with the Minotaurs and such.

I could take the project over and make my own fork, but I do not wish to. After coding 9-12 hours a day the last thing I want to do is to code in my freetime as well.
I did take a look at the code just for one thing that I am going to do for my LP of the Merge - I can code the "secret areas with magical presence" to not need a spell to be cast, instead activating upon entry, immediately triggering Dimension Door when you enter such area (or click on it in some cases).

And I also found the lua error in the previous borked patch (there was a rogue old lua file that caused trouble, but only to some people - me included, very much like the current patch).

And that is about it.
Last edited by Templayer on 23 Jun 2019, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 20:26

From GDSpectra / SpectralDragon through email:
"Was said so by Roticet in a PM as well as he basically insulted the optional stuff most of us planned by calling them "temp *****" and proposing that Rodril wouldn't return due to MMMerge having more than 1/2 of them in optional stuff."

Guys, I do not think Roticet is a good source of information. Just saying. Think what you will.
But unless I hear that from Rodril himself, I refuse to believe the Merge is dead just because one guy (that should seek professional help, seeing his tantrum) said it is without any proof or a decent source.

Rodril has been on hiatuses before. This still isn't the greatest absence he has been on, if I remember correctly.

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 23 Jun 2019, 20:37

Templayer wrote:From GDSpectra / SpectralDragon through email:
"Was said so by Roticet in a PM as well as he basically insulted the optional stuff most of us planned by calling them "temp *****" and proposing that Rodril wouldn't return due to MMMerge having more than 1/2 of them in optional stuff."

Guys, I do not think Roticet is a good source of information. Just saying. Think what you will.
But unless I hear that from Rodril himself, I refuse to believe the Merge is dead just because one guy (that should seek professional help, seeing his tantrum) said it is without any proof or a decent source.

Rodril has been on hiatuses before. This still isn't the greatest absence he has been on, if I remember correctly.
Lol congrats on misquoting me. But whatever. Go ahead and continue to burn this mod into the ground. I never once said that the mod was dead. Not in a PM, not in a post. I'm just sick and tired of seeing temp saying that the mod was completely unplayable for everyone. Especially when its clearly playable. Have I even said that the stuff you guys are doing is crap? No. All I've said it's up to rodril to ultimately implement it into his mod. Otherwise it's your mod in addition to his mod. And you're one to talk about temper tantrums, example, you against xfing. Maybe you should take your own advice. Cause holy cow, screaming at a person for a simple suggestion is ridiculous. Especially when xfing kept saying to put it in the merge as an option. Or is it only you and spectral dragon who can make suggestions now?

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 23 Jun 2019, 20:54

Roticet wrote:
Templayer wrote:From GDSpectra / SpectralDragon through email:

Lol congrats on misquoting me. But whatever. Go ahead and continue to burn this mod into the ground. I never once said that the mod was dead. Not in a PM, not in a post. I'm just sick and tired of seeing temp saying that the mod was completely unplayable for everyone. Especially when its clearly playable. Have I even said that the stuff you guys are doing is crap? No. All I've said it's up to rodril to ultimately implement it into his mod. Otherwise it's your mod in addition to his mod. And you're one to talk about temper tantrums, example, you against xfing. Maybe you should take your own advice. Cause holy cow, screaming at a person for a simple suggestion is ridiculous. Especially when xfing kept saying to put it in the merge as an option. Or is it only you and spectral dragon who can make suggestions now?
This whole thing has gotten out of hand. Sorry guys. And no, I have never once said this mod is dead. I've said rodril seems to be taking a break of some sort, but until 6 months+ has gone by and no update, then sure I would say dead, but not now.

KankiBoldman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby KankiBoldman » 23 Jun 2019, 21:09

Guys relax! I think you are doing hella good job! Don't ruin the mood with some forum drama ;) For me the mod is working perfectly. No problems whatsoever. Played almost the whole merge through in a few weeks! (Except MM6 because damn those dungeons and those large mob armies are annoying.) Anyways I haven't been here for long, probably few weeks, but I think this mod is a masterpiece and a childhood dream come true to some strong warriors such as myself :devious: . And believe me I don't sign myself to many website forums but to here I felt like it had to be done because come on! this is awesome! :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Jun 2019, 21:16

KankiBoldman wrote:Guys relax! I think you are doing hella good job! Don't ruin the mood with some forum drama ;) For me the mod is working perfectly. No problems whatsoever. Played almost the whole merge through in a few weeks! (Except MM6 because damn those dungeons and those large mob armies are annoying.) Anyways I haven't been here for long, probably few weeks, but I think this mod is a masterpiece and a childhood dream come true to some strong warriors such as myself :devious: . And believe me I don't sign myself to many website forums but to here I felt like it had to be done because come on! this is awesome! :D
Check the Tracker, if you didn't. We have some awesome additional modifications to the Merge there (kudos goes to SpectralDragon / GDSpectra for additional characters!).

Also not to ruin the mood by forum, I did decide to block tantrums thrown at me with my Greasy Monkey shield! :tongue: :devious:

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jun 2019, 21:23

Yeah, I don't think there are any grounds to believe Rodril has abandoned the project just yet. To suggest so is extreme pessimism bordering on hysteria :p

Return to “Might and Magic”