Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
dungeonlord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby dungeonlord » 19 Jan 2018, 10:46

Where can I buy high level body/spirit/mind spells?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 19 Jan 2018, 11:34

dungeonlord wrote:Where can I buy high level body/spirit/mind spells?
Silver Cove, Free Haven, Avlee (mind and body), Erathia (Spirit), and maybe Balthazar Lair too.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 20 Jan 2018, 09:45

albahr wrote:I've decided to go ahead and did dis.
Hey, it is very cool, you even cleared black border around face portrait (I never have enough patience for this kind of painstaking work). If you are going to convert something else, take elf male portraits please, - race feels uncompleted when it offers only female paperdolls. I'll add this paperdoll in next update.
equs wrote:I noticed that many of the characters that join my party aren't in the Tavern and some of them are switching. For Example, I put some artifacts in the inventory of a character in the Tavern (one of the last ones) and then some time later this char wasn't there anymore, but another instead. But I miss many of them.
They should stay in tavern of continent, where you dismissed them, not in others. About switching, i think there was issue in script, reapply latest update or just NPCMercenaries.lua script.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 20 Jan 2018, 10:07

Rodril wrote: Hey, it is very cool, you even cleared black border around face portrait (I never have enough patience for this kind of painstaking work). If you are going to convert something else, take elf male portraits please, - race feels uncompleted when it offers only female paperdolls. I'll add this paperdoll in next update.
With 2/3 of the portraits you can create a selection and cut it so it's not that painstaking. The side effect of that is the change of haircut for that one (black hair...).
I will do elf portraits now (if J.M.Sower hasn't started on them) and then I'd like to go with goblins. Would you be willing to add goblins too?

EDIT: Ok, so I finished all three games. Antagarich up to the moment I could travel to Jadame → Jadame easy-to-find artifacts, leveling and skill advancing → Antagarich main quest (blasters) → Jadame main quest → Enroth finally which took me twice the time of previous games and I only did the main quest, almost without any side quests. During the time in Enroth I used the console to add Dark Magic skill to my Archmage just to create a new goal and possibility to evolve my characters a bit more.

My overall experience is:
It's really easy to advance in the game when you can choose three ways to do many things. I admit that I rushed through the game and I'm planning to start again really soon but I don't think I'll choose the difficult over easy. For example it takes some time to reach Evenmorn, Nighon or Eofol in MM7, but you can easily advance those skills in MM6 or MM8 and then the game becomes much easier. The same situation is with class promotions. What I'd do, is to restrict the 2nd promotion quests to one continent only and the rest of the promotion quests leave as regular side-quests. The ideal solution for me would be introducing 4-level classes (monk-intiate-deacon-master) but that would require some work and would be a goodbye to Rodril's plan to simply merge the three games together. For skills I would say the easiest way would be requiring more skill points to advance (6 for expert, 9 for master, 12 for GM for example). The problem is, after getting GM in your chosen skills, for the rest of the game you just add points to that and there are no big changes.
From technical side, MM6 looks aged even when compared to 7 & 8. The ships! Those dungeons! MM6 is this older generation of RPGs when dungeons were the main part of the gameplay but spending three evenings going through those endless tunnels that look the same is tragic. On the other hand, it's making the game challenging even after finishing 7 & 8, which is nice. For my gameplay, since I have limited time, I disabled monsters adapting stats and even then I had fun and sometimes struggled to advance in 6. Also, the quests are far more challenging - sometimes because they require going blindly to every chest in the game looking for a key that nobody mentioned where could it be - but sometimes they require more thinking than the latter games'.
Also, as I said before, the ability to create party members after the start would be great.
With all of those, after playing the mod for almost 2 months, I was still equally amazed by a possibility to just teleport to Jadame after spending some time in Enroth. I've had lots of fun playing and now the only thing that I really miss is Krewlod. Does any of you want to create a team to add Krewlod to MMMerge? :D
Last edited by albahr on 20 Jan 2018, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 20 Jan 2018, 23:04

1) When resting (with sleep) in castle Harmondale you can be suddenly attacked by someone, even if the castle is upgraded completely.

2) Even after the last update new characters that joined my party don't appear in tavern.

3) The first Obelisk in MM8 (in Garotte Gore) isn't clickable and isn't noticed in the note pad

4) Nobody want to buy the cloak "Vampire's Cape" and it isn't visible if equiped.

5) The quest with the ingredients for a potion of pure luck in Alvar seems to be not possible. Don't matter how many ingredients I have (all that were listed and many of them) no success
Last edited by equs on 20 Jan 2018, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Jan 2018, 09:59

I've been playing this amazing game again, it's very enjoyable indeed. I'm doing a run where I restrict everyone's level to 1, this should be a challenge. I've noticed a couple of minor things:
- Priests of Light and Dark seem to get + 5 Earth Resistance and + 5 Body Resistance upon promotion (I don't think this happens in the originals)
- February's pilgrimage worked without talking to the seer first.
- Barrels change contents upon reloading or re-entering the map (I'm not sure this happened in the original MM8; at least it doesn't happen in MM7)
- Enroth's Obelisk treasure was toned down a bit: there were no artifacts, relics or high-level spell-books. (Or is it intentional? In MM6, it had Morgana, Guinevere and Igraine, IIRC, and books for the top-level Light and Dark spells)
- A funny thing: Normally, when you exit a shop without buying anything and you have more than 10,000 gold, the shopkeeper says something rude and one character serves them a comeback. This works with the other shops, but the Enrothian Shopkeeper (Magic Shop) doesn't seem to have a rude comment, so the characters end up making an unnecessary quip at the shopkeeper after their friendly 'goodbye' :D
Last edited by Phobos on 21 Jan 2018, 11:24, edited 3 times in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 21 Jan 2018, 11:12

Is there a possibility to add mm7 or mm6 artifacts to the inventory of a character using the console? And is there any information about the added artifacts from mm7 and mm6, I mean what artifacts are already inside and which are missing except the armors which don't fit to the mm8 paper dolls?

linuxrocks123
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linuxrocks123 » 22 Jan 2018, 05:16

Hey,

The MM7 artifact sword Puck is supposed to be Swift, but it's not. I fixed it by adding two lines to ExtraArtifacts.lua. The relevant section of the file now looks as follows:

--------------------------------
---- Attack delay mods

-- Supreme plate
ModAttackDelay[515] = -20
-- Percival
ModAttackDelay[2025] = -20
-- Puck
ModAttackDelay[1302] = -20

--------------------------------

Btw, I am very much looking forward to playing this. I haven't played MM6 or MM8 before, and doing it this way seems like much more fun.

linuxrocks123
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linuxrocks123 » 22 Jan 2018, 06:12

I just noticed a thing. I'm not sure if it's a bug, but it's a problem for the MM7 Monk class's development at least, and I think it would be good to fix it.

In MM7, GM Staff allows the attack and damage bonuses from the Unarmed skill to apply when the staff is in use. It's supposed to also work with Armsmaster bonuses to hit and damage, allowing the Monk to do serious damage with a staff late game at the cost of being slower unless a Swift staff or very high speeds or whatever are in play. I will note that the Armsmaster bonus to damage is not actually applied when a Monk is using a staff at GM level due to an original game bug that Grayface has fixed in his latest alphas.

Anyway, in MM8, they got rid of the unarmed skill, and so GM Staff doesn't combine with Unarmed anymore, and my Monks are going to be very sad about this. Is there any way to fix this? I'm fine hacking the .lua scripts myself, but I'm new to MMExtension, and so would appreciate a point in the right direction from someone more experienced :)

Also, what you have done here is mind-explodingly awesome. This is truly an epic project.
Last edited by linuxrocks123 on 22 Jan 2018, 06:18, edited 2 times in total.

linuxrocks123
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linuxrocks123 » 22 Jan 2018, 06:17

Seriously ... wow :)

Also: I think I figured out how to fix this. All that's necessary is to hook into GetSkill and, if the skill is Armsmaster, and the player's Staff skill is GM, add twice the amount of the player's Unarmed skill level to Armsmaster. Assuming the Monk has Master Armsmaster, this will fix attack bonus and damage :)

Then hook into GetAttackDelay and artificially subtract twice the amount of the Unarmed skill from recovery time for Staff GMs, to fix the fact that artificially pumping up Armsmaster like that will reduce the player's recovery time in addition to attack bonus and damage.

Anyone have better ideas?
Last edited by linuxrocks123 on 22 Jan 2018, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.

linuxrocks123
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linuxrocks123 » 22 Jan 2018, 13:05

Okay, I fixed the Monk damage thing. The damage doesn't show up in the Stats screen, but oh well.

Modified function in ExtraArtifacts.lua:

Code: Select all

function events.ItemAdditionalDamage(t)
    if Game.ItemsTxt[t.Item.Number].Skill == const.Skills.Staff
     then
         local Player = Game.Party[Game.CurrentPlayer]
         local Sa, Ma = SplitSkill(Player:GetSkill(const.Skills.Armsmaster))
         local Ss, Ms = SplitSkill(Player:GetSkill(const.Skills.Staff))
         if Ms == const.GM and Ma >= const.Master
          then
              local unarmed, mastery = SplitSkill(Player:GetSkill(const.Skills.Unarmed))
              if mastery==const.Expert
               then
                   t.Result = t.Result + unarmed
               end
              if mastery >= const.Master
               then
                   t.Result = t.Result + unarmed*2
              end
          end
     end

local Effect = OnHitEffects[t.Item.Number]

if not Effect then return end

t.DamageKind = Effect.DamageKind or t.DamageKind
	if Effect.Add then
		t.Result = t.Result + Effect.Add
	end
	if Effect.Special then
		Effect.Special(t)
	end
end
Note that I think it's a fair question whether we should, if we give Monks their Staff + Unarmed damage bonus back, we should take away their Staff Damage bonus for balance. My recommendation would probably be that we do take the Staff skill damage bonus away for Monks, but not for MM8 classes that don't use Unarmed. Codewise, just take whichever damage bonus is more, but not both. This keeps it so MM8 classes that use Staffs aren't underpowered, but Monks aren't (more) overpowered.

Thoughts?

dungeonlord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dungeonlord » 23 Jan 2018, 08:19

Can you recruit four dragons into your party?
I know you cannot start a dragon at party creation time, so cant be 5 dragons.

linuxrocks123
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linuxrocks123 » 23 Jan 2018, 12:50

More bugfixing in ExtraArtifacts.lua -- fix swiftness of artifact only applying to melee or ranged as per artifact's weapon type. Also, minimum recovery time is 30 not 20.

for i,v in t.Player.EquippedItems do
		if v > 0 then
			local Item = t.Player.Items[v]
			local Mod = ModAttackDelay[Item.Number]
			if Mod and (t.Ranged or Item.Number~=2025) and (not t.Ranged or Item.Number~=1302) then
				t.Result = math.max(t.Result + Mod, 30)
			end

If you have a GitHub or similar, I'd be happy to submit a pull request or whatever. Dumping bugfixes on forum pages feels suboptimal :)

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 23 Jan 2018, 14:22

I have found the dwarf king skull in the tunnels to nighon, placed it in a chest in castle harmondale. This was before the bug was_
solved. Now the skull is gone, the judge don't give it back to me as lost item and I can't pick up it again (after regeneration of the tunnels)....

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 23 Jan 2018, 16:20

equs wrote:I have found the dwarf king skull in the tunnels to nighon, placed it in a chest in castle harmondale.
Execute "vars.LostItems[1428] = 2" without quotes in debug console (ctrl+f1 to open, ctrl+enter to execute), oracle of Antagarich will give it to you by "Lost it" topic.
dungeonlord wrote:Can you recruit four dragons into your party?
Yes, a lot of dragons spreaded across Jadame. You can make Dragons able to be choosen by editing "Character selection.txt" in "...\Data\Tables" folder.
equs wrote:Is there a possibility to add mm7 or mm6 artifacts to the inventory of a character using the console?
Yes, check reference manual for required commands (https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... t-Commands), look into ITEMS.txt form EnglishT.lod, items from mm7 and mm6 are appended to mm8 in their original order, also i've used this table for internal purposes, might be usable: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6npcaptfcfvn ... n.txt?dl=0
Phobos wrote:- February's pilgrimage worked without talking to the seer first.
First ever piligrimage does not require visiting Oracle, any further does. I've updated patch link, there are just few quickfixes, barrels fixed as well, thanks.
linuxrocks123 wrote:Okay, I fixed the Monk damage thing. The damage doesn't show up in the Stats screen, but oh well.
Very nice, i did not notice this issue before. I've used almost similar code but inside "CalcStatBonusBySkills" event in "MiscTweaks.lua" at lines 250 - 277, then it shows result even in stats window.
linuxrocks123 wrote:if Mod and (t.Ranged or Item.Number~=2025) and (not t.Ranged or Item.Number~=1302) then
We can extract exact item type from Game.ItemsTxt[Item.Number].EquipStat, i've added this fix as well, thanks.
I don't have any external development-tracker, think, I'll add it at some point if someone would contribute there.

Darrel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darrel » 24 Jan 2018, 00:53

I need to say this is very impressive work. It brings to new life these old games. Might and Magic 6 updated with the newer rules is something I always wanted.

I am starting a play through in the might and magic 6 world, and one of the things I noticed is none of the 6 classes available can disarm traps very well at all. So there are a lot of chests I cannot open.Is there any way to have trainers for the disarm skill on this continent to ignore class restrictions? Or some other way to get around this fact?

Also without continent jumping , are their trainers available to train in armsmaster and identify monster? Are there trainers to grandmaster in any skill? And if you keep a dark elf as the dark elf class, and the Minotaur as a Minotaur class , I am assuming there is nothing there to promote them.

And why can't a Minotaur become a paladin, considering that a Minotaur is essentially mm8's version of the Paladin?

And balance wise mm6 wasn't made with a movement mode during turn based combat in mind. And all enemies seem to move real slow, making them easy to mass slaughter them with arrows. They need a much faster movement speed.Otherwise enemies like followers of Baa, and Cutpurses just seem really pathetic.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 24 Jan 2018, 15:34

I fixed the mixed icons in an NPC House Movies.txt in MM7. https://yadi.sk/d/VPTdVEOI3RkMx8

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 31 Jan 2018, 09:30

Hi!
First I want to thank all people who work on this project! It's a great idea to combine all three continents in one game. This old games got a new life and gives the absolutely new game experience!
I started to play at Emerald Islands. After completing the dwarfs quest I travel to New Sorpigal using one of those Dimension Door books. All works fine! I almost haven't any big problems except the one.
I have some troubles with the magic guilds at all of three continents. Tularean Forest guilds are always sells the same books, so I can't get the fly and town portal spells there(
When I got to Free Heaven I found problems with this guilds too. When I click on "Buy spells" button I get this message

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
C:\Games\MM678\Scripts\Structs\RemoveHouseRulesLimits.lua:951: array index (6) out of bounds [0, 5]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
	C:\Games\MM678\Scripts\Structs\RemoveHouseRulesLimits.lua:951: in function 'f'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1879: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1877>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of 'f':
	d = (table: 0x0f73e558)

local variables of 'f':
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x06524900)
	(*temporary) = 6
	(*temporary) = 157
	(*temporary) = 5342840
	(*temporary) = 1.4900640468567e-277

upvalues of 'f':
	CurHouseID = 5342840
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
after that game crashes( It happens with all guilds in this location! Can this happens because I got the membership at Antagrich? Misty Islands guilds works fine...
At last I tryed to travel to Alvar magic guild. It works normal and the books refreshing after save\load as usual but! I reloaded so many times and the fly spell is still not appears! Looks like the game doesn't see it at all or maybe I was completely unlucky(
I have edited Character portraits.txt and Class Skills.txt, could it cause this problem?

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 31 Jan 2018, 12:43

Jamesx wrote:... At last I tryed to travel to Alvar magic guild. It works normal and the books refreshing after save\load as usual but! I reloaded so many times and the fly spell is still not appears! Looks like the game doesn't see it at all or maybe I was completely unlucky(
I have edited Character portraits.txt and Class Skills.txt, could it cause this problem?
You only can get the fly spell in Celeste (MM7) and Free Heaven (MM6) or fly with the dragon abilities. I had the same problem in Alvar. Don't waste your time, this spell will never appear there.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 31 Jan 2018, 17:41

Jamesx wrote:Hi!
First I want to thank all people who work on this project! It's a great idea to combine all three continents in one game. This old games got a new life and gives the absolutely new game experience!
I started to play at Emerald Islands. After completing the dwarfs quest I travel to New Sorpigal using one of those Dimension Door books. All works fine! I almost haven't any big problems except the one.
I have some troubles with the magic guilds at all of three continents. Tularean Forest guilds are always sells the same books, so I can't get the fly and town portal spells there(
When I got to Free Heaven I found problems with this guilds too. When I click on "Buy spells" button I get this message

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
C:\Games\MM678\Scripts\Structs\RemoveHouseRulesLimits.lua:951: array index (6) out of bounds [0, 5]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
	C:\Games\MM678\Scripts\Structs\RemoveHouseRulesLimits.lua:951: in function 'f'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1879: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1877>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of 'f':
	d = (table: 0x0f73e558)

local variables of 'f':
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x06524900)
	(*temporary) = 6
	(*temporary) = 157
	(*temporary) = 5342840
	(*temporary) = 1.4900640468567e-277

upvalues of 'f':
	CurHouseID = 5342840
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
after that game crashes( It happens with all guilds in this location! Can this happens because I got the membership at Antagrich? Misty Islands guilds works fine...
At last I tryed to travel to Alvar magic guild. It works normal and the books refreshing after save\load as usual but! I reloaded so many times and the fly spell is still not appears! Looks like the game doesn't see it at all or maybe I was completely unlucky(
I have noticed playing through MM6 at the moment, in various cities, the following happening a few of times: I enter a store--say, a weapons store--ask to see special/more expensive items, and suddenly I'm seeing a weapon that is far too advanced for what I should be seeing available for sale at that time in that store in that city. IE, a weapon that should not be displayed for sale at that store at that time--and as soon as that happens--maybe ten seconds later--the game simply crashes to desktop. Boom--just dumped right out.

Cure: reload the save, reenter the same store--"out of place weapon" is no longer available, as it correctly should not be, and the game does not crash and I can play or shop in that store as long as like. I've seen that happen at least 3-5 times, which is to say--not very often at all. But it does happen. It's a simple bug, obviously. It may even have happened occasionally in the original game, IIRC.

Workaround: Save much and save often and reload if necessary...;) That way, when the store inventory displays properly you'll know you are in no immediate danger of a crash and can spend as much time browsing in the store as you like.

BTW, I have not had the problem in MM6 with magic guilds. Spell books are available, but as in the original games, from store to store and city to city there is a fair amount of duplication as to what'a available. Some spell books require tracking down and elbow grease to locate. Hope this helps in some small way! Gotta' get back in there as you have whetted my appetite...;)
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Return to “Might and Magic”