Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 10:59

Roticet wrote:That looks really good! What's it for? I would love to see more variations of monster mobs in the merge.
It's for Warlock quest completion back in MM7, as the little NPC icon of "Baby Dragon" was swapped with the actual Red Dragon character in the Merge according to Templayer ... said Red Dragon being a placeholder for an Erathian Black Dragon character that needs to be made.
Don't expect this one to come anytime soon though, I'm on a break and Rodril hasn't updated this mod for quite a while now, so yeah. ^^; I'd expect this one to come at the end of July and the start of August, so that Rodril isn't burdened when it comes to mod updates.

Also, kind of hard to update the mod you have when the bloody Mega download link is either broken or corrupted. :tongue:
Yes?

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 17 Jun 2019, 11:07

SpectralDragon wrote:
Roticet wrote:That looks really good! What's it for? I would love to see more variations of monster mobs in the merge.
It's for Warlock quest completion back in MM7, as the little NPC icon of "Baby Dragon" was swapped with the actual Red Dragon character in the Merge according to Templayer ... said Red Dragon being a placeholder for an Erathian Black Dragon character that needs to be made.
Don't expect this one to come anytime soon though, I'm on a break and Rodril hasn't updated this mod for quite a while now, so yeah. ^^; I'd expect this one to come at the end of July and the start of August, so that Rodril isn't burdened when it comes to mod updates.

Also, kind of hard to update the mod you have when the bloody Mega download link is either broken or corrupted. :tongue:
The NPC thing, that's not vanilla MM7, is it? I never really played the dark side that much. It was mostly light that I chose.
Plus considering Rodril was working on updating the mod on a close to weekly basis for a long time, I think he has deserved a self-imposed break. I know people are freaking out about it a little bit. But just stay calm. Rodril has been good about communicating things so far. And what benefit is the "baby dragon", or is a purely cosmetic thing? Would be ok with either.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 11:17

Roticet wrote:The NPC thing, that's not vanilla MM7, is it? I never really played the dark side that much. It was mostly light that I chose.
Plus considering Rodril was working on updating the mod on a close to weekly basis for a long time, I think he has deserved a self-imposed break. I know people are freaking out about it a little bit. But just stay calm. Rodril has been good about communicating things so far. And what benefit is the "baby dragon", or is a purely cosmetic thing? Would be ok with either.
That is vanilla MM7, yes, in vanilla, after you complete the Warlock promotion quest (Druid + ally yourself with Deyja/Dark side), you get a permanent follower named "Baby Dragon" that grants quite a lot of boosts to all Warlocks in your party, but at the same time it also takes more food on travels and resting because well, it's a baby and it needs to grow.
In Merge, according to Templayer, said "Baby Dragon" NPC was replaced with an actual Dragon party member that is, as per current version of the mod, a Jadamean Red Dragon. This Black Dragon is meant to swap the said Jadamean Red Dragon with itself once you complete the Warlock promotion quest.

Hopefully, as I don't wish to swarm Rodril by a ton of new stuff that would make updating this mod even more tough it already is from what I've heard. ^^; I wish him all well on his own break too, no worries, just kind of concerned if all new stuff that were added to Templayer's Implementation Queue isn't too much for him, as he's still one person. ^^;

Props to you for actually overplaying the light side there. I like dark side more because well, Liches and crazy-powerful spells. :D :D :D
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 17 Jun 2019, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 Jun 2019, 12:15

The baby dragon in vanilla gave your warlocks +3 to all magic schools and mana regen, and yeah, it cost an extra 1 food. These boosts are negligible, especially in the merge, so the new approach is quite welcome. At first the baby dragon acts as a follower like before, but once you feed it enough food it becomes changeable to a red dragon player character. Rodril even made that quest available on the Light path, just because it's the only chance to get a dragon on Antagarich.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 13:41

Xfing wrote:The baby dragon in vanilla gave your warlocks +3 to all magic schools and mana regen, and yeah, it cost an extra 1 food. These boosts are negligible, especially in the merge, so the new approach is quite welcome. At first the baby dragon acts as a follower like before, but once you feed it enough food it becomes changeable to a red dragon player character. Rodril even made that quest available on the Light path, just because it's the only chance to get a dragon on Antagarich.
I see and this is where I hope this Black Dragon gets applied into, so that the Baby Dragon doesn't grow up into a Jadamean Red Dragon, but rather Enrothian/Antagarich Black Dragon.
Unless it's too much? ^^; Having a red Baby Dragon grow up into a Black one?
Yes?

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 17 Jun 2019, 13:44

Wow, that's exciting, it is such a nice mod, even better to have it updated with the latest upgrades.!
DaveHer wrote:The The Chaos Conspiracy ( CC ) redone is almost done and it was made possible by GrayFace’s modding tools and his assistance. Also some help from Rodril (the camera setting for blender) and other info. CC has many changes, stables and boat travels every day of the week. Arena every day of the week. Stores open late hours. Six new quests done with GrayFace example quests. New sprites and models. Click the link to see pics. All of this stuff can be used with the merge. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Double click on image to see a larger image. :) David
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 Jun 2019, 15:21

SpectralDragon wrote: I see and this is where I hope this Black Dragon gets applied into, so that the Baby Dragon doesn't grow up into a Jadamean Red Dragon, but rather Enrothian/Antagarich Black Dragon.
To be perfectly fair, it's the other way around. MM7 had the colorful dragon sprites, while all enemy dragons in MM8 were black. If I recall properly though, the black dragon model was meant to have been implemented as the Mega Dragon in Eeofol in MM7. The sprite was almost or completely identical to the MM8 black dragons. So by saying "Antagarich black dragon" you're probably going by Homm3 here.
Unless it's too much? ^^; Having a red Baby Dragon grow up into a Black one?
This too seems to be homm3 thinking, seeing as how black dragons are supposed to be older versions of red dragons. But I believe Rodril also changed the little red dragon portrait that the familiar has in vanilla to the player character red dragon's. So you could probably just make a portrait for the new black dragon sprite and it could be used there right away. Hatchlings in MM8 also appear black, so there's that :D
Last edited by Xfing on 17 Jun 2019, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 15:29

Xfing wrote:To be perfectly fair, it's the other way around. MM7 had the colorful dragon sprites, while all enemy dragons in MM8 were black. If I recall properly though, the black dragon model was meant to have been implemented as the Mega Dragon in Eeofol in MM7. The sprite was almost or completely identical to the MM8 black dragons. So by saying "Antagarich black dragon" you're probably going by Homm3 here.

This too seems to be homm3 thinking, seeing as how black dragons are supposed to be older versions of red dragons. But I believe Rodril also changed the little red dragon portrait that the familiar has in vanilla to the player character red dragon's. So you could probably just make a portrait for the new black dragon sprite and it could be used there right away.
Yus, I do, since MM7 is apparently a spin-off of HoMM 3 according to one interview I saw JVC have, thus I wish to make sure that stuff don't get mixed up too much when doing new sprites and whatnot. ^^;
One caution though, since Antagarich Black Dragon has just so many horns on its head I cannot even, it might make the portrait quite messed up when looked at its back as well as have a hella lotta things that don't seem to "fit in". ^^; I'll do my best to make it all nice, but that's as much as I can do and changes to them will be VERY hard.
Yes?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 Jun 2019, 15:33

SpectralDragon wrote: Yus, I do, since MM7 is apparently a spin-off of HoMM 3 according to one interview I saw JVC have, thus I wish to make sure that stuff don't get mixed up too much when doing new sprites and whatnot. ^^
As a series in general, HoMM is a spin-off of MM. MM7 came a bit later than HoMM3 and was the second game set on Antagarich, but that doesn't mean one is a spin-off of another in terms of lore validity. In fact, MM7 and MM8 were made by the same team, which was not the team that made HoMM3. MM8 teaches us that it's possible for dragons to be born black, just going by the sole dragon sprite in that game.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Jun 2019, 16:25

DaveHer wrote:The The Chaos Conspiracy ( CC ) redone is almost done and it was made possible by GrayFace’s modding tools and his assistance. Also some help from Rodril (the camera setting for blender) and other info. CC has many changes, stables and boat travels every day of the week. Arena every day of the week. Stores open late hours. Six new quests done with GrayFace example quests. New sprites and models. Click the link to see pics. All of this stuff can be used with the merge. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Double click on image to see a larger image. :) David
Added to the Optional Modifications to the Merge Tracker.
SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:No, it isn't. Rodril is the leader of this project, and it is he that decides what opinion will have an effect on the Merge. Me not listening to an opinion doesn't have much of an effect.
I'll agree to any suggestion anyone writes down on the Tracker. Unless it is badly formatted. If it is, I will reject it and write it down there manually. It is Rodril's job to apply the suggestion or deny it for the Merge.
Xfire wrote:*poke
So then let's NOT make Rodril silence us all by filling these posts with arguments and flame wars that have nothing to do with updates to the Merge, yes? Updating this mod is most important after all if you ask me ... and frankly I myself am getting tired and fed up by those arguments, which in term means I can downright deny making those paperdolls for all of you in the end (and even if I don't I'll probably just make them all partially/completely skeletal with different-colored eye orbs of MY choosing anyways) under the simple explanation of "too much work for me", so yeah, let's better stop it while we still have the chance, and before we all change our minds, shall we? :/

Also, you still have to add the link to the game-ported assets for the short-horned Mino Lich that Jamesx gave us all at the top of the page to your Tracker queue unless you wish me to get these in?

Apologies for going this bad on both of you, but some anvils need to be dropped and I can imagine not many people come here after testing the mod only to see flame wars happening here, no sir.
You just said pretty much what I have said. I am fed up with responding to people that constantly spam the thread with reasons on why NOT to develop optional content. I am going to ignore those from now onwards.

Also I just applied your suggestions for the short-horned Mino Lich link to the game-ported assets. I went to my daily work when you made that suggestion and right now I came back from work.
I didn't sleep last two nights, so I might be a little crankier than usual. (which is enough as it is :D )
NoPractice wrote:Played mm 6-7 like 10 years ago and now returned for mm8, so I see you guys made awesome work here.
Seems like merge archive on Mega is corrupted, can someone update it?
SpectralDragon wrote: Also, kind of hard to update the mod you have when the bloody Mega download link is either broken or corrupted. :tongue:
Yup. The base package is broken. The surplus ancient lua file problem was solved, but it seems like there is another problem with some script.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 16:47

Templayer wrote:?
You saw this?
SpectralDragon wrote:HI, MA!
Note though, due to having so many horns on his head it'll have pretty messed up portraits (and I just realized I didn't add "npc" ones for the Mino Zombie and Lich, even though technically I was thinking that there would be no way in having these as NPCs ... no matter if MM6 apparently has a rat and even an Ooze NPC :'D).
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 17 Jun 2019, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 16:52

Xfing wrote:As a series in general, HoMM is a spin-off of MM. MM7 came a bit later than HoMM3 and was the second game set on Antagarich, but that doesn't mean one is a spin-off of another in terms of lore validity. In fact, MM7 and MM8 were made by the same team, which was not the team that made HoMM3. MM8 teaches us that it's possible for dragons to be born black, just going by the sole dragon sprite in that game.
I'd then wish that Megadragon has the same black sprite it's supposed to have, so that lore purists wouldn't be mad at us for suddenly getting a Black Dragon from an egg that was obviously guarded by either Green, Blue or Red Dragons. ^^;
Yes?

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Great work, need help

Unread postby Jamesx » 17 Jun 2019, 17:00

NoPractice wrote:Played mm 6-7 like 10 years ago and now returned for mm8, so I see you guys made awesome work here.
I think it something on Mega side, because I download it 2 days ago and it works fine...
try this link
looks great))) But what about portraits? I think it will be no so easy to draw all 56 emotions :D :D
Last edited by Jamesx on 17 Jun 2019, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Jun 2019, 17:05

SpectralDragon wrote:
You saw this?
Note though, due to having so many horns on his head it'll have pretty messed up portraits (and I just realized I didn't add "npc" ones for the Mino Zombie and Lich, even though technically I was thinking that there would be no way in having these as NPCs ... no matter if MM6 apparently has a rat and even an Ooze NPC :'D).
I did, good job! As for the portraits - you could experiment with perspective - there is no rule that all dragons should be under the same angle for portraits.
Also... WHAT? RAT AND OOZE NPCS? WUT? WHERE? HOW? :D :D :D
SpectralDragon wrote:
Xfing wrote:As a series in general, HoMM is a spin-off of MM. MM7 came a bit later than HoMM3 and was the second game set on Antagarich, but that doesn't mean one is a spin-off of another in terms of lore validity. In fact, MM7 and MM8 were made by the same team, which was not the team that made HoMM3. MM8 teaches us that it's possible for dragons to be born black, just going by the sole dragon sprite in that game.
I'd then wish that Megadragon has the same black sprite it's supposed to have, so that lore purists wouldn't be mad at us for suddenly getting a Black Dragon from an egg that was obviously guarded by either Green, Blue or Red Dragons. ^^;
The MegaDragon is on the Paint Tracker, so I see no reason on not to paint one. :P :D
Jamesx wrote:
I think it something on Mega side, because I download it 2 days ago and it works fine...
try this link
Downloading, thanks. I hope it works.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Jun 2019, 17:35

SpectralDragon wrote:
You saw this?
I will have to record myself to make a voice set for the Black Dragon and Blood Dragon, while using different algorithms to make my voice better.

Oh, I can already hear the lines for the Blood Dragon:
*kills an enemy*
"My mind to your mind... your blood to my bones."

(if we go with the bone variant)

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 17:44

Templayer wrote: I did, good job! As for the portraits - you could experiment with perspective - there is no rule that all dragons should be under the same angle for portraits.
Also... WHAT? RAT AND OOZE NPCS? WUT? WHERE? HOW? :D :D :D

The MegaDragon is on the Paint Tracker, so I see no reason on not to paint one. :P :D
It's not about portraits, it's about HOLY COW, SO MANY HORNS bit. XD I'll email you and Jamesx its "default" one just so you 2 see how will it look like, ha ha ha ha ha!
Found their icons in the UISprites (aka where paperdolls and the like were also found) folder you sent me of MMMerge just like that ... and not just that, I also found npc sprites for a Veteran, Devil King, Skeleton and a Lich even. Makes me wonder wth was NWC thinking when making those NPC icons. XDD Maybe for Circus or what??

Doesn't mean it must be done though. :tongue:
Jamesx wrote:looks great))) But what about portraits? I think it will be no so easy to draw all 56 emotions :D :D
Not at all, that thing will take longer than a Mino Lich due to me being absent for a week, so yeah. I'll email you its "default" expression. X'D
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 17 Jun 2019, 18:15

Templayer wrote:WHAT? RAT AND OOZE NPCS? WUT? WHERE? HOW? :D :D :D :D
WTF NPC icons?? :D :D
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image ImageImage
Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image
Sure, with Units, Devils and Ghosts, I get it, but Bats, Rats, Eyes and OOZE??? :D :D I can only imagine some are meant to have a bigger role, but didn˙t manage to get it like Zenofex (Devil King), Acton Spindler (Werewolf), Ethric the Mad/Lord Corlagon/Agar (Liches), The Announcer from Controll Center (Unit) and Security Gargoyles (Gargoyle), but others, yeah, no idea. I can only imagine that the Ooze was meant to be a shout-out to either D&D´s or NetHack´s Juiblex the Demon Lord of Slime and Ooze.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 17 Jun 2019, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Jun 2019, 18:30

Hah, Konfuzius, second from the left! :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Jun 2019, 19:29

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:WHAT? RAT AND OOZE NPCS? WUT? WHERE? HOW? :D :D :D :D
WTF NPC icons?? :D :D
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image ImageImage
Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image
Sure, with Units, Devils and Ghosts, I get it, but Bats, Rats, Eyes and OOZE??? :D :D I can only imagine some are meant to have a bigger role, but didn˙t manage to get it like Zenofex (Devil King), Acton Spindler (Werewolf), Ethric the Mad/Lord Corlagon/Agar (Liches), The Announcer from Controll Center (Unit) and Security Gargoyles (Gargoyle), but others, yeah, no idea. I can only imagine that the Ooze was meant to be a shout-out to either D&D´s or NetHack´s Juiblex the Demon Lord of Slime and Ooze.
I might have a theory on that.
Maybe the MM6 we got wasn't what it was during development and things changed. What if those are not NPC portraits per say, but ... perhaps the game was turn-based only, not the quick turn-based it is now but a slower one, where enemies had actual portraits. Just a theory, though. Since having dialogue with some of those makes no sense whatsover, and with others it is a longshot.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Great work, need help

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Jun 2019, 20:09

Jamesx wrote:
try this link
looks great))) But what about portraits? I think it will be no so easy to draw all 56 emotions :D :D
So I made a fresh GOG install, extracted your zip file into it, overwriting stuff, and then I put the newest patch in, overwriting existing.
Result?

Code: Select all

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:447: struct expected, got nil

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1044: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1036>
	...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:447: in function <...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:445>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1006: in function '__index'
	...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:481: in function <...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:474>
	...RGE - The World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\00 structs.lua:36: in function 'OldGame'
	...The World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\CharacterOutfits.lua:10: in function 'OldGame'
	...ERGE - The World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\GlobalTxt.lua:4: in function 'OldGame'
	...E - The World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:5: in function 'OldGame'
	...rld of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\RemoveHouseRulesLimits.lua:61: in function 'OldGame'
	...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\RemoveItemsLimits.lua:22: in function <...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\RemoveItemsLimits.lua:21>
	...RGE - The World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\00 structs.lua:15: in function <...RGE - The World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\00 structs.lua:14>

arguments of '...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:447':
	define = (table: 0x04205610)

upvalues of '...he World of Enroth\Scripts\Structs\01 common structs.lua:447':
	mmver = 8
	mmv = (function: 0x041e8770)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
Did you do something special? Do you have the newest patch?
I could try reinstalling and using just the base merge package if it works, but I have spent enough time on the Merge for today. :(

Return to “Might and Magic”