Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 31.05.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 07 Jun 2019, 21:43

SpectralDragon wrote:I also want the game's resources and I think that I could ruin the LOD archives by opening them and extracting their contents!
Fine, I will make a package of all the LOD archives extracted and put into a 7z? Happy? :D :D :D :D

So I extracted the game's resources and did some base categorization so that it isn't all in a single folder and it is actually possible to browse a bit. 44000+ files. Thanks to YOU, it is midnight now for me! :D :D
Well, packaging it into a maximum possible compression in 7z will take over an hour, so I will upload it and give you a link tomorrow. After I get my 12 hours of sleep.

EDIT: Those resources are without maps, sounds, and such. Only images and also texts. And bitmaps and palletes and pretty much everything you should need for your further endeavors with game's source files.
Last edited by Templayer on 07 Jun 2019, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 07 Jun 2019, 21:51

Templayer wrote:Fine, I will make a package of all the LOD archives extracted and put into a 7z? Happy? :D :D :D :D

So I extracted the game's resources and did some base categorization so that it isn't all in a single folder and it is actually possible to browse a bit. 44000+ files. Thanks to YOU, it is midnight now for me! :D :D
Well, packaging it into a maximum possible compression in 7z will take over an hour, so I will upload it and give you a link tomorrow. After I get my 12 hours of sleep.
Thank you. :) And no worries, it's midnight for me too. But yeah, I'll await the next patches before continuing linking ongoing projects I still need to do in order to not cramp stuff up for you, GrayFace and Rodril once they're complete, as I was told more modifications can result in even more bugs, thus yeah, wish to just make sure stuff go alright with you pals (there is also a rl reason as well,but I ain't telling it here because it's a public place and all). ^^;
As you probably know regarding the newest Merge not working for you,thus stopping you from fixing the Unlocker. ^^;
Yes?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 08 Jun 2019, 01:19

toreadorlelder wrote:
DaveHer wrote:A suggestion:
In Mount Nighon there is a mountain that you can not fly up to because of the limitation of flying. But there are some goodies up there. Perhaps a quest given by some NPC to teleport you up there as a reward for helping he/she. As for me I plain to build me a bridge (with blender) to take me up there. You are welcome to have this bridge when I finish with it. But I think a quest would be better.
David
Pogo sticks!!!

:)

As someone noted, the Jump spell. Either have 2 casters or make it the quick spell. It's also very useful in the Bracada Desert if you don't have Fly there, and wanna reach, say, the stat challenge. Or in the MM8 phase, where finding Fly in the shops is HARD, if you start there. With one caster you might need to be Master level Air to get the recovery time down enough, but with 2 casters it's pretty easy.
Very Funny lol :D :tongue:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 09:23

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:Fine, I will make a package of all the LOD archives extracted and put into a 7z? Happy? :D :D :D :D

Thank you. :) And no worries, it's midnight for me too. But yeah, I'll await the next patches before continuing linking ongoing projects I still need to do in order to not cramp stuff up for you, GrayFace and Rodril once they're complete, as I was told more modifications can result in even more bugs, thus yeah, wish to just make sure stuff go alright with you pals (there is also a rl reason as well,but I ain't telling it here because it's a public place and all). ^^;
As you probably know regarding the newest Merge not working for you,thus stopping you from fixing the Unlocker. ^^;
Yeah, don't worry, we do not want you to burn yourself out. Also more modifications do cause more bugs, but yours pretty much won't (unless someone mismatches an index or something rather trivial like that), because you are using code that is already in there. Code-wise, you are not adding anything new, you are only adding graphics that would be "copypasted" otherwise. Now if you were actually to create a whole new race or class, that would require coding and would cause bugs.

Also for the Blood Dragon as a Vampire I can see both perspectives - he is made of bones, like a Lich would, so maybe making him the Dragon Vampire Lich variation (the specific one, while other Racial Vampires would instead turn to their racial variant of a Liche) would work, while a Vampire Dragon would still need to be done. You should have the flesh and skin dragons once I upload the resources. On the other hand, I can see him being just a vampire too - his bones are soaked in blood and instead of ingesting blood, he needs to keep his bones soaked in blood to survive and have vampiric abilities. And he is supposed to pretty much be a one or two of a kind experiment type, so that makes sense in my head as well.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jun 2019, 09:39

Templayer wrote: Yeah, don't worry, we do not want you to burn yourself out. Also more modifications do cause more bugs, but yours pretty much won't (unless someone mismatches an index or something rather trivial like that), because you are using code that is already in there. Code-wise, you are not adding anything new, you are only adding graphics that would be "copypasted" otherwise. Now if you were actually to create a whole new race or class, that would require coding and would cause bugs.

Also for the Blood Dragon as a Vampire I can see both perspectives - he is made of bones, like a Lich would, so maybe making him the Dragon Vampire Lich variation (the specific one, while other Racial Vampires would instead turn to their racial variant of a Liche) would work, while a Vampire Dragon would still need to be done. You should have the flesh and skin dragons once I upload the resources. On the other hand, I can see him being just a vampire too - his bones are soaked in blood and instead of ingesting blood, he needs to keep his bones soaked in blood to survive and have vampiric abilities. And he is supposed to pretty much be a one or two of a kind experiment type, so that makes sense in my head as well.
Indeed and I thank you all for it as well, as altering paperdolls and expressions accordingly isn't an easy job at all ... and now I have tonnes more respects for all people that did all this work on the game before you, Rodril and GrayFace came because dang! O.O No wonder games take this long in the 1st place now. And speaking of adding new races or classes, now I'm wondering how much altering will it take to get a brown Mino into his Lichy self ... hmmmmm.

Ditto as well, honestly, when it comes to bony Vampire Dragon version, thus I liked the WoG variant very much, as it obviously has blood red bones and even in WoG mod, they're supposed to be super rare successful attempts at giving Vampire Lord's abilities onto a Bone/Ghost Dragon as well, thus yeah, I'm for the bony version all the same (aside the fact that Lifedrain spell looks more like an energy drain rather than blood drain, which is the basis for the huge ball of white energy I put into its ribcage) ... and to be completely honest, seeing how different Dragons are compared to others duue to being their own caste I can easily imagine that their Vampire versions aren't just copy-paste of humanoid ones (Trolls, Minos ...). The other variant would be the one with blackened bones that is mainly based off Levitate/Mistform ability, which would also make it easy for me to make its chest and belly fleshy, but yeah, each has their own set of problems ... and even then there's also Charm spell, which, in my headcanon, makes the said bony Vampire Dragon look like a living dragon.
We do have someone in Shadowspire that is versed in illusion magic very much to the point he could recreate flesh: Sandro, like his 2nd Heroes III portrait that shows him having bony arms, yet fleshy head.

EDIT: And before I forget, Blood Dragon in MM8 is supposed to be spawned by Zanthora. Yaknow, MAD Necromancer. Of course it'd look as messed up as you can imagine, Daedros! :D :D
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 08 Jun 2019, 09:55, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 10:02

SpectralDragon wrote:

Here you go - https://www.ulozto.net/!J0s4cwnEylGM/mi ... mplayer-7z
There might be some screw-ups on my part there, like duplicated files, because I was too sleepy.
Also hilariously enough, I did manage to ruin one of my LOD archives by getting the contents of another into it by a mistake. :D :D

The size of extracted content is about 2 GB, compressed into 400 MB. 384 MB dictionary was used, which required 17.4 GB of RAM to package, and you probably won't be able to unpack the 7z on a computer that doesn't have 386 MB RAM available. :P

There are some notes in the parenthesis of folder names. I was too lazy to make a text file. :D
Last edited by Templayer on 08 Jun 2019, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jun 2019, 10:15

Templayer wrote:Here you go - https://www.ulozto.net/!J0s4cwnEylGM/mi ... mplayer-7z
There might be some screw-ups on my part there, like duplicated files, because I was too sleepy.
Also hilariously enough, I did manage to ruin one of my LOD archives by getting the contents of another into it by a mistake. :D :D

The size of extracted content is about 2 GB, compressed into 400 MB. 384 MB dictionary was used, which required 17.4 GB of RAM to package, and you probably won't be able to unpack the 7z on a computer that doesn't have 386 MB RAM available. :P

There are some notes in the parenthesis of folder names. I was too lazy to make a text file. :D
Thank you! :tsup: My sincerest apologies that I had to drop some anvils in the message where I put both stoppers in. :ashamed: Was basically exhausted from all GIMP crashing and whatnots. ^^;
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 15:58

SpectralDragon wrote: Thank you! :tsup: My sincerest apologies that I had to drop some anvils in the message where I put both stoppers in. :ashamed: Was basically exhausted from all GIMP crashing and whatnots. ^^;
Then solve the crashing issue. Get a more stable version. :tsup:

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jun 2019, 16:20

Templayer wrote:Then solve the crashing issue. Get a more stable version. :tsup:
That or turn all images from Indexed to RGB, which is easy enough. :tongue: :tongue: And speaking of weirdness, just left ya a message about some ... weird stuff I˙ve noticed in your little 7z file. I wonder if these could´ve been the reason your Unlocker is being more drunk that a Lich is under a round of Drunk Well from Deyja. :D
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 08 Jun 2019, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 16:40

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:Then solve the crashing issue. Get a more stable version. :tsup:
That or turn all images from Indexed to RGB, which is easy enough. :tongue: :tongue: And speaking of weirdness, just left ya a message about some ... weird stuff I˙ve noticed in your little 7z file. I wonder if these could´ve been the reason your Unlocker is being more drunk that a Lich is under a round of Drunk Well from Deyja. :D
Be sure to post your findings.
Rodril wrote:*PROD*
Spectral found some interesting discrepancies that might be the cause for some glitches we can see when everything is unlocked.
If it was caused by not testing added characters properly, then I recommend unlocking your Character Creation so that you can test stuff when adding characters - wrongly named file or index for a body part would be particularly easy to spot at unlocked Character Creation, as is now evident. :D :D :D

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jun 2019, 17:22

Rodril wrote:*poke poke poke*
I wish to ask you, why the hell does "pc25" (brown Dragon) graphical asset have movable female Zombie arms (they´re all marked "pc25lad", "pc25lau" and so on) according to what Templayer´s graphical assets show me (he sent me the game´s assets in a huge 7z file yesterday)? "pc26" (red Dragon) doesn˙t have said Female or Male Zombie arms moving, since there aren˙t any marked like this. :confused:
The 2nd thing I˙m finding very weird is that "pc30" (which is marked as "Wetsuit" in Character Index) is completely missing from there. Is that because it˙s technically an item and not a character?

Yeah, I know I˙m trash at coding, but missing graphical assets are very noticeable, especially once I check your Character Index, as I wasn´t able to find MM6 humans, Goblins and the Dracolich/Dragon Zombie among the graphical assets as well (or rather ones Templayer sent me in a 7z file). I´d suggest the same thing Templayer said, just getting his (Templayer´s) newest version of the Unlocker and test it on your current mod version. You might find more bugs there than you can imagine, he he. ;)
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 17:31

SpectralDragon wrote:
Rodril wrote:*poke poke poke*
I wish to ask you, why the hell does "pc25" (brown Dragon) graphical asset have movable female Zombie arms (they´re all marked "pc25lad", "pc25lau" and so on) according to what Templayer´s graphical assets show me (he sent me the game´s assets in a huge 7z file yesterday)? "pc26" (red Dragon) doesn˙t have said Female or Male Zombie arms moving, since there aren˙t any marked like this. :confused:
The 2nd thing I˙m finding very weird is that "pc30" (which is marked as "Wetsuit" in Character Index) is completely missing from there. Is that because it˙s technically an item and not a character?

Yeah, I know I˙m trash at coding, but missing graphical assets are very noticeable, especially once I check your Character Index, as I wasn´t able to find MM6 humans, Goblins and the Dracolich/Dragon Zombie among the graphical assets as well (or rather ones Templayer sent me in a 7z file). I´d suggest the same thing Templayer said, just getting his (Templayer´s) newest version of the Unlocker and test it on your current mod version. You might find more bugs there than you can imagine, he he. ;)
It's true about the PC30.

Check the UISprites folder, there in Additional check files starting with 7item299v1.bmp
and directly in UISprites, check WetS_01.bmp
As far as I know PC30 is just EMPTY, and the wetsuit is actually the ITEM that is EQUIPPED onto an EMPTY PAPERDOLL.

Quite an interesting method. You can check the wetsuit as an item by holding the right mouse button, and it gives the illusion of the character being in it.
Last edited by Templayer on 08 Jun 2019, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 18:35

SpectralDragon wrote: Yeah, I know I˙m trash at coding, but missing graphical assets are very noticeable, especially once I check your Character Index, as I wasn´t able to find MM6 humans, Goblins and the Dracolich/Dragon Zombie among the graphical assets as well (or rather ones Templayer sent me in a 7z file). I´d suggest the same thing Templayer said, just getting his (Templayer´s) newest version of the Unlocker and test it on your current mod version. You might find more bugs there than you can imagine, he he. ;)
I can see the assets for these guys (portraits and body parts) in the Additional folder of the package I have sent you, together with the superfolder of that I can see MM6 humans, goblins and the Dracolich, portraits and body parts. Dunno about the index for that, though. There might a "in-between" index somewhere as well.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jun 2019, 18:41

Templayer wrote: I can see the assets for these guys (portraits and body parts) in the Additional folder of the package I have sent you, together with the superfolder of that I can see MM6 humans, goblins and the Dracolich, portraits and body parts. Dunno about the index for that, though. There might a "in-between" index somewhere as well.
Most likely, yeah. And that´s why I generally don´t look at all code stuff, really confusing to me about all of this, especially if they have faults from completely mundane sources. ^^;
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jun 2019, 19:50

SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote: I can see the assets for these guys (portraits and body parts) in the Additional folder of the package I have sent you, together with the superfolder of that I can see MM6 humans, goblins and the Dracolich, portraits and body parts. Dunno about the index for that, though. There might a "in-between" index somewhere as well.
Most likely, yeah. And that´s why I generally don´t look at all code stuff, really confusing to me about all of this, especially if they have faults from completely mundane sources. ^^;
Yeah, it can be rather confusing. I am severely dyslexic, and "numlexic" (which is something I just made up, but I have the unique crappy condition where I really have problems with numbers, including not being able to remember them at all), and the constant additions with non-constant names are a nightmare for me. If it was me, at this point, I would have reindexed the whole thing.

How would my index / nomenclature look like (something like this, it is an example):
ui_sprites_playableCharacters_MM6_human_male_X_paperdoll_base
ui_sprites_playableCharacters_MM6_human_male_X_paperdoll_hand_holding
ui_sprites_playableCharacters_MM6_human_male_X_portrait_trapSprung_frame_Y (for portrait animations)
... etcetera, where X denotes the variant for the given race and game, and Y is the frame of animation.

Then in Windows Explorer, when sorted by name this would be a really nice way to find everything you want in one place. Right now stuff is all over the place I feel like. (due to the stuff being cobbled together naming-wise)

But this is in no way me forcing Rodril or GrayFace to use this; I am not telling you how to do this, only that this is a way, and it is a way for stupid people like me to be able to work with the Merge files. :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Templayer on 08 Jun 2019, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Jun 2019, 22:36

Templayer wrote:Actually GrayFace did some slight modifications so that the artifact / relic MM6 armours would not be exactly the same visually as their base counterparts.
I only did it for MM6 relics to distinguish them from artifacts (which I obviously also did) slightly. At that point it wasn't about bringing in regular items, only artifacts.
Templayer wrote:Could you perhaps spare a little bit of your time (oh great lord and savior), and check how it came to this and how to fix it? I cannot get the Merge running, so I AM BLIND HERE. :D
Did you forget to put the MMExt files in (without overwriting)?
Templayer wrote:Yeah, I personally use a very old version of GIMP. The newer ones just suck donkey balls. The main guy behind it is a cretin. I read through a thread where HUNDREDS (and I am not exaggerating!) people are telling him that removing a particular way of saving / exporting that was default before is just wrong and should be available as a choice, and he told everyone that they are incorrect, because the current way is "his vision".
Ha, is it about introduction of the annoying separation of "Export" into 2 menu items that do the same thing, but one works when only you open a file, and the other only when you export under a different name?
SpectralDragon wrote:
Daedros wrote:Ehhh, to me it makes more sense for the Vampiric Dragon to be a paler Dragon paperdoll with fangs, glowing red eyes, and that ruby collar. Afterall, no other Vampire is skeletal, not to mention there is no veins/heart on a skeletal dragon, nowhere for the blood to go when it drinks blood, not even a stomach to contain it.
Thus I˙m still even considering that, since Templayer said that it should look like WoG Blood Dragon, which looks like the one you see above. ^^;
It looks great. The only thing I wish it had is some differences besides the color - like, a different pose of the paperdoll and the portrait, slightly different model.
Templayer wrote:So I extracted the game's resources and did some base categorization so that it isn't all in a single folder and it is actually possible to browse a bit. 44000+ files.
This can be turned into Favorites for MMArchive.
Templayer wrote:How would my index / nomenclature look like (something like this, it is an example):
NWC coders disagree with you. They won't sleep at night if something isn't extremely tightly limited. :) As such, file names are limited by 15 characters.
Last edited by GrayFace on 09 Jun 2019, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jun 2019, 22:42

GrayFace wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:
Daedros wrote:Ehhh, to me it makes more sense for the Vampiric Dragon to be a paler Dragon paperdoll with fangs, glowing red eyes, and that ruby collar. Afterall, no other Vampire is skeletal, not to mention there is no veins/heart on a skeletal dragon, nowhere for the blood to go when it drinks blood, not even a stomach to contain it.
Thus I˙m still even considering that, since Templayer said that it should look like WoG Blood Dragon, which looks like the one you see above. ^^;
It looks great. The only thing I wish it had is some differences besides the color - like, a different pose of the paperdoll and the portrait, slightly different model.
Ditto as well, honestly, but question if Jamesx would provide said things, especially the differently-posed paperdoll (I got those Skeletal Dragon images off him).
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Jun 2019, 07:48

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:Actually GrayFace did some slight modifications so that the artifact / relic MM6 armours would not be exactly the same visually as their base counterparts.
I only did it for MM6 relics to distinguish them from artifacts (which I obviously also did) slightly. At that point it wasn't about bringing in regular items, only artifacts.
Templayer wrote:Could you perhaps spare a little bit of your time (oh great lord and savior), and check how it came to this and how to fix it? I cannot get the Merge running, so I AM BLIND HERE. :D
Did you forget to put the MMExt files in (without overwriting)?
Templayer wrote:Yeah, I personally use a very old version of GIMP. The newer ones just suck donkey balls. The main guy behind it is a cretin. I read through a thread where HUNDREDS (and I am not exaggerating!) people are telling him that removing a particular way of saving / exporting that was default before is just wrong and should be available as a choice, and he told everyone that they are incorrect, because the current way is "his vision".
Ha, is it about introduction of the annoying separation of "Export" into 2 menu items that do the same thing, but one works when only you open a file, and the other only when you export under a different name?
SpectralDragon wrote:
Templayer wrote:So I extracted the game's resources and did some base categorization so that it isn't all in a single folder and it is actually possible to browse a bit. 44000+ files.
This can be turned into Favorites for MMArchive.
Templayer wrote:How would my index / nomenclature look like (something like this, it is an example):
NWC coders disagree with you. They won't sleep at night if something isn't extremely tightly limited. :) As such, file names are limited by 15 characters.
1. Oh, got it.
2. MMExt files? That is no longer necessary. Rodril made it so all the base stuff is already in the download because people kept screwing it up. Your patch included as well. Check the first page for the installation instructions now - download, extract, launch, wait for like 15 minutes. Three steps.
3. YES. IT IS RIDICULOUS. :D (not to even mention retarded)
4. Check my reply to that in the thread.
5. I don't know what that means. :D
6. Yes, I do know NWC coders are incredibly TIGHT in coding and limitations, but nowadays there is no need for this. IF there at least was a way to open all the lods (base + additions), and then have it in folders and subfolders, then I wouldn't mind as much, but while combined those are basically all in one folder with names that are all over the place. I'm used to coding in Java, which is PRETTY MUCH THE EXACT OPPOSITE of how NWC coded their stuff by principle. :D (the difference in RAM usage between MM games and our Java apps is quite insane). I do get that it was needed back in the day, but nowadays people have 100 MB+ free memory even on extremely old PCs. :D

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 09 Jun 2019, 08:37

Ok, people, I have some diabolically delicious and awesome news here:
Minotaur Zombie is COMPLETE!
Sheesh, that took way WAY too much time due to me either being a complete idiot or due to the program being an annoying rebel (which is why you pals need to take note that not all images are Indexed and they´re all in .png format as well), but at last it´s done. Rodril, Grayface and other coders of the game/mod, I finally deliver (and no, I ain´t doing brown Mino Zombie condition as well. Sorry). ;)

You can get the download here: https://sta.sh/0paovcjdao3
-> Lich Voices Redone (Dracoliches, Mino Liches, Troll Liches, Vampire Liches, Zombie Liches, optional classic Liches): https://youtu.be/Nb6QxRll58Q (courtesy of Templayer)
-> Zombie Voices Redone (Ghost Dragons, Mino Zombies, Troll Zombies, optional classic Zombies): https://youtu.be/nWP8J_RF1jM (courtesy of Templayer)
-> Ghost Dragon as a monster: https://sta.sh/0x0ufoyfk2m
Yes?

Crusader_bin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crusader_bin » 09 Jun 2019, 09:02

They speed at which you guys work, might as well release Might and Magic 11 by the end of the year :D
It honestly keeps me from actually playing, as I'm afraid that the next patch will just hit any minute now :P
Last edited by Crusader_bin on 09 Jun 2019, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun!

Return to “Might and Magic”