Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
equs
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 62
Joined: 14 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby equs » Apr 15 2019, 12:48

GrayFace wrote:
equs wrote:I meant that a character can repair a blaster gun only if he/she has the skill repairing on grandmaster and the blaster skill on grandmaster (like they were teached to handle a blaster and even repair it)

Hmm, Blaster skill instead of Repair then. Then shopkeepers not repairing blasters would be ok, because Blaster can be learned to GM by anybody, unlike Repair Item.


Yes that is even better than my first suggestion, because if both skills are needed you have to choose a class that can be grandmaster of repairing. In your version everybody could be able to repair a blaster, he/she just needs to be on a higher blaster skill level. :tsup:

User avatar
Templayer
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 424
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Templayer » Apr 15 2019, 16:20

justl wrote:hi,

mm6, ghariks forge:

the secret room in ghariks forge doesnt open like described in various english/german walkthroughs:
http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.Worl ... html#ns_gf

walkthroughs/snippets:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/41 ... n/54090331
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/mm6/N ... html#ns_gs

justl

Added to the Bug Tracker.

Anubis wrote:Bug: In the room with Agar @ Agar's Laboratory, only the character in the first slot is able to interact with Agar's Cauldron/Agar's Pile of Skulls even if your other characters are selected. If not cursed, the cauldron/pile of skulls kills you. If cursed, the cauldron/pile of skulls grants you +50 intellect each time. I imagine not a lot people knew about this secret which is why this was overlooked. :)

Added to the Bug Tracker.

Xfing wrote:A little issue to report: I found a War Axe (MM6) in one of the chests in the Harmondale wilderness. It's the best Tier 3 axe. Not sure if it was ever possible for a treasure of that level to appear in these particular chests. I recall having a similar problem with finding a Regnan Cutlass from MM6 (also tier 3) on Emerald Island, and in one update this was mentioned to be fixed. Is this a new feature to add some excitement to the game (a small chance to find treasures beyond the chest's level), or something unintended?

Added to the Bug Tracker.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
justl
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 94
Joined: 26 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby justl » Apr 15 2019, 16:57

Anubis wrote:Bug: In the room with Agar @ Agar's Laboratory, only the character in the first slot is able to interact with Agar's Cauldron/Agar's Pile of Skulls even if your other characters are selected. If not cursed, the cauldron/pile of skulls kills you. If cursed, the cauldron/pile of skulls grants you +50 intellect each time. I imagine not a lot people knew about this secret which is why this was overlooked. :)


cool i didnt know that one and i have the game for like an eternity (though i must admint i found out about the thief guild teleporter also very late)

anyone knows if there is something special with the black barrels at the dwarven mine (castle ironfist)?
Last edited by justl on Apr 15 2019, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 424
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Templayer » Apr 15 2019, 17:36

equs wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
equs wrote:I meant that a character can repair a blaster gun only if he/she has the skill repairing on grandmaster and the blaster skill on grandmaster (like they were teached to handle a blaster and even repair it)

Hmm, Blaster skill instead of Repair then. Then shopkeepers not repairing blasters would be ok, because Blaster can be learned to GM by anybody, unlike Repair Item.


Yes that is even better than my first suggestion, because if both skills are needed you have to choose a class that can be grandmaster of repairing. In your version everybody could be able to repair a blaster, he/she just needs to be on a higher blaster skill level. :tsup:

Could one of you write it to the Suggestion Tracker in some cohesive manner? :P :D

Even anonymous users can edit stuff on the tracker, it works like a suggestion, and I have to apply the changes made (or decline them).

We had a few grievers on the Tracker that suggested nonsensical stuff, like changing Troll Paperdoll to Trolls Paperdoll (without an apostrophe!). Just a BTW.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
justl
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 94
Joined: 26 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby justl » Apr 15 2019, 19:46

i cant recount if I or someone else mentioned it already:

superior temple of baa (Kriegspire): steaming cauldrons dont give +2 fire res (same problem as in castle ironfist it seems)
also in the wolf lair.

skullpiles of death always let the char die
Last edited by justl on Apr 15 2019, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 424
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Templayer » Apr 15 2019, 20:44

justl wrote:i cant recount if I or someone else mentioned it already:

superior temple of baa (Kriegspire): steaming cauldrons dont give +2 fire res (same problem as in castle ironfist it seems)
also in the wolf lair.

skullpiles of death always let the char die

Added to the Bug Tracker.

What was the perception of the character that used the skullpile of death?
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

Waldemar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Apr 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Waldemar » Apr 16 2019, 0:57

Hi!

I'm a newbie to this project so I hope you will excuse my arrogant questions & suggestions... So, I've just tried out the latest (06.04.2019) version of MM6-7-8 Merge after countless hours in MM6, MM7 and MM8 many, many years ago.

1. Why is the class system so inconsistent? Do we really need MM8-specific classes like Necromancers and Priests as long as we have the Sorcerers and Clerics from MM7? How does the two-stage promotion system and the choice between Light and Dark found in MM7 even work with these MM8 classes, Necromancer being clearly a 'Dark' class and Priest being a 'Light' class? These classes are superfluous and should be removed for the sake of elegance and integrity.

2. Why Jadame and Antagarich races are unavailable in Enroth? Could this be activated with some option? I would love to begin the game in Enroth but have trolls / vampires / minotaurs in my party.

3. Why some MM7 classes like Monk are unavailable in Enroth? If the appropriate promotion quests / trainers are only available in Antagarich, why not just travel there if you consciously chose a Monk for your starting party in Enroth. Same goes to Jadame's Vampires and Trolls.

3. Speaking of Vampires and Trolls, they seem to be two pretty self-contained societies whose 'professions' are tightly linked with their lifestyle, physiology and traditions. So it stands to reason they only have one class, Vampire and Troll accordingly -- but I would rather call those race-specific classes Nightstalker and Barbarian, just to make some distinction between Race and Class -- again for the sake of integrity and keeping with the MM7 tradition. So that Trolls are limited to the Barbarian class and Vampires to the Nightstalker class -- a purely cosmethical change.

4. The Vampire Ability skill, though, seems to be unbalanced and too weak as long as we have all the MM7 classes available. Okay, Life Drain is unique and makes sense.

I could understand Levitate -- unlike Water Walking, it also helps avoiding traps and lava... but it still looks too weak as opposed to the perks granted by other skills at Expert level. Could Levitate maybe increase the party's max travel distance per turn in turn-based combat, like maybe for an extra 20%-25%... and also give a similar speed boost to real time travel and especially to the strafe speed.

At Master, Vampires learn Charm, easily available at Expert level to those proficient in Mind Magic, so that's a joke! I'd happily swap that for a more unique and useful ability, maybe a passive one. What about adding some 2x-3x the number of Skill points in Vampire Ability to Spirit and Body Resistance once a Vampire reaches Master in Vampire Ability? Vampires are undead so they should be more resistant to Body and Spirit negative effects (in addition to being immune to Mind effects)

Finally the Mist Form gained at Grandmaster Vampire Ability is cool but not universally useful, not even close to the overall usefullness of other Grandmaster abilities. But somehow I like Mist Form the way it is... I think Grandmaster Vampire (along with Master and Expert) could become balanced with the rest of the skills if the basic Vampire ability, that is Life Drain, would restore the exact same amount of HP that is stolen from the victim, not a measly 1/3. This would imbue Expert, Master and Grandmaster Vampire Ability skills with a lot more sense since they boost the recovery time and the damage of that basic ability.

Also there's the free and complete Mind immunity that the Vampires receive. Somehow it's not balanced by a drawback. Maybe Vampires should lose their ability to Regenerate or be Healed by any spells while in daylight? So it's gonna be like 'subsist on potions and Life Drain or don't go out at noon and stick to dungeons instead'

5. Minotaurs... The Minotaur class from MM8 is nothing special, there's no reason why Minotaurs should only stick with one profession. Currently the MM6-7-8 Merge has Minotaur class available if you start in Jadame but only the basic MM7 classes if you pick a Minotaur in Antagarich, how come?

It looks reasonable (at least to my mind) that the Minotaur class should go, being superfluous, and Minotaurs should get access to the same classes that Humans, Elves, Goblins and Dwarves get. Or maybe Minotaurs should be restricted from picking classes that end up as Master and Grandmaster spellcasters... but nothing more than that.

The Minotaurs' inability to use boots and helmets should be balanced by giving them a special ability... like maybe getting +1 Hit point per level added to the base HP per level modifier of ANY class they pick and a permanent starting bonus of +10 to Mind, Spirit and Body resistances due to their powerful physique? Not being able to wear boots or helmets becomes a big nuisance in late game when very powerful items become available, giving much more than just the bare Armor Class they have.

6. Dark Elves. Their Dark Elf Ability looks very cheesy and inconsistent as compared to other racial abilities like Vampire Ability, Dragon Ability or Regeneration. Why don't the regular Elves, Dwarves, Goblins and Humans get random spell-like abilities when Dark Elves have them? The choice of Dark Elf 'spells' gained at different Dark Elf Ability mastery levels looks kind of random and far fetched. I'd suggest making Dark Elves a regular race like Humans, etc., without any class restrictions or special abilities -- the only difference being the unique choice of 'weak' and 'strong' stats at character creation, the current selection being Accuracy and Endurance.

7. Dark Path vs. Light Path for MM8 races. This has to be in the game, with the two alternate second tier promotions and all. Vampires turned to Light should change their class to 'Goody-Two-Fangs' after the 2nd promotion, with lots of hilarious dialogue options and tongue-in-cheek humour. Since Vampires don't deal with Dark or Light Magic at all, and have no real alignment affinity, this kind of character seems possible to me in the Might & Magic universe. I mean, vampirism appears to be something purely physiological (if 'physiology' is a proper word for an undead creature) and being evil is merely a popular choice among Vampires, but in no way an absolute imperative. We could have evil Paladins in MM7, remember?

8. These days, everybody's so big on sprite upscaling with neural networks. How come nobody tried Gigapixel AI or at least ESRGAN with the amazing Manga109Attempt dataset on Might & Magic sprites? Look how beautifully these tiny sprites from Daggerfall can be upscaled through pure AI and without human intervention... Might & Magic sprites are so much bigger than Daggerfall's, so you'd be getting a ton more quality if you try AI-upscaling on those!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

There's a whole subreddit full of finished and WIP upscaling mods for older games: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/

I was shocked not to find any M&M related threads there...

9. Speaking of upscaling, I've got a question but I don't know if I should ask GrayFace or dgVoodoo Project's Dege the Lead Guy. I'm playing MM6-7-8 Merge with GrayFace's MM8 2.2 Patch and dgVoodoo 2 v2.55.4. Everything looks and works fine, except for the UI getting stretched to 16:9. I'm getting something like this:

Image
Image

But I wanna have it like this:

Image

Setting StretchWidth and StretchHeight to default fixes this, but I'm getting black bars and the whole thing goes 1440x1080!

Is there a way for getting a 4:3 scaled UI on top of a 16:9 scaled 3D viewport?

10. Most likely this belongs to Dege's domain but I still feel like asking here: is there a dgVoodoo.conf / mm8.ini tweak that would scale the UI using bicubic / superSAI / xbrz or any other filter?

I'm not asking for miracles, I just wanna swap this:

Image

For something they used to call 'bicubic' back in the day:

Image

Is this possible?

11. This project has many threads and pages at different places... but none of them explain how the plots of MM6, MM7 and MM8 are linked to each other in this mod? I see how the Kreegans crashing into Enroth in MM6 can be followed by Escaton's immediate advent in MM8, but linking the MM7 story to Archibald getting free from his stone curse at the end of MM6 is a bit trickier. How does this mod account for the very special events in MM7 that ultimately result in the party picking either Light or Dark side?

12. Given the same ole five-guy team for the whole playthrough while three times as much content as in a single M&M title, is there a trick implemented to keep the party from leveling up too fast while not reducing the progression to a clog? I'd suggest using the 'killing monsters of a much lower level than you yields you almost no XP' mechanic that Baldur's Gate used, but maybe it's already implemented? Long ago when I played vanilla MM6, MM7 and MM8, I used to spend lots of time wreaking genocide upon the hordes of surface-dwelling mobs just for the sake of gaining XP. With the MM6-7-8 Merge, I feel pretty well off with simply finishing quest dungeons, there's always enough monsters and no need for thorough and intended monster extermination in the wilderness. I suppose that's how the MM6-7-8 should in fact be played. So to keep the player from leveling up too fast (and also to keep them from mindless 'farming') it would be cool to severely cut the XP gains from any slain monsters that are much weaker (i.e. have a much lower level) than your party. Like, there's a lot of goblins and rats in the quest dungeons ahead, you don't need to farm them for XP -- you'll face plenty of them anyways. You should be looking for stronger and stronger monsters to vanquish, because if you keep farming rats and goblins to get more powerful, you'll end up getting very little XP from those easy kills. So only kill for finishing quests, and seek enemies more powerful than you. Travel between Jadame, Enroth and Antagarich to find those; there are plenty of quests on the three continents, level up finishing those instead of exterminating all life in every location.

TL;DR: Leveling should be consistent with the 3X amount of events and monsters in this mod, keeping the player from getting much XP from easy kills seems like a viable option.

P.S. I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone reading this. And thank you for this wonderful mod!
Last edited by Waldemar on Apr 16 2019, 1:07, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
justl
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 94
Joined: 26 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby justl » Apr 16 2019, 5:03

Templayer wrote:
justl wrote:i cant recount if I or someone else mentioned it already:

superior temple of baa (Kriegspire): steaming cauldrons dont give +2 fire res (same problem as in castle ironfist it seems)
also in the wolf lair.

skullpiles of death always let the char die

Added to the Bug Tracker.

What was the perception of the character that used the skullpile of death?


master on lvl 7

vegetableharry
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 Mar 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby vegetableharry » Apr 16 2019, 7:30

Hi, I have a question about the new class system. I started the game in Jadame an I got with me a Peasant. Now I found several teachers that learn "Knight", "Sorcerer", "Druid", "Cleric" etc. I also found a trainer for Vampire and Dark Elf, both could not be learned by my Dwarf Peasant.

Anyway, I didn't found a Teacher for Necromancer or Priest. So I wonder, can Peasants only learn Default classes (like the ones from mm6 oder mm7) and not the specialized classes from 8? - Or haven't I just not found those trainers yet?

User avatar
Xfing
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 597
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Xfing » Apr 16 2019, 10:00

vegetableharry wrote:Hi, I have a question about the new class system. I started the game in Jadame an I got with me a Peasant. Now I found several teachers that learn "Knight", "Sorcerer", "Druid", "Cleric" etc. I also found a trainer for Vampire and Dark Elf, both could not be learned by my Dwarf Peasant.

Anyway, I didn't found a Teacher for Necromancer or Priest. So I wonder, can Peasants only learn Default classes (like the ones from mm6 oder mm7) and not the specialized classes from 8? - Or haven't I just not found those trainers yet?


It stands to reason that you won't get a Dark Elf class with a human peasant :P

User avatar
equs
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 62
Joined: 14 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby equs » Apr 16 2019, 11:13

Templayer wrote:
equs wrote:
GrayFace wrote:Hmm, Blaster skill instead of Repair then. Then shopkeepers not repairing blasters would be ok, because Blaster can be learned to GM by anybody, unlike Repair Item.


Yes that is even better than my first suggestion, because if both skills are needed you have to choose a class that can be grandmaster of repairing. In your version everybody could be able to repair a blaster, he/she just needs to be on a higher blaster skill level. :tsup:

Could one of you write it to the Suggestion Tracker in some cohesive manner? :P :D

Even anonymous users can edit stuff on the tracker, it works like a suggestion, and I have to apply the changes made (or decline them).

We had a few grievers on the Tracker that suggested nonsensical stuff, like changing Troll Paperdoll to Trolls Paperdoll (without an apostrophe!). Just a BTW.


Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but how can I edit something on the tracker for bugs or suggestions? Would love to help in any way ;)

User avatar
GrayFace
Wraith
Wraith
Posts: 1270
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby GrayFace » Apr 16 2019, 11:25

Waldemar wrote:8. These days, everybody's so big on sprite upscaling with neural networks. How come nobody tried Gigapixel AI or at least ESRGAN with the amazing Manga109Attempt dataset on Might & Magic sprites?

The author of the latest MM in Unreal project was doing some work with one of the tools. He had to do some manual work, because the tool didn't preserve tiling.

Waldemar wrote:Is there a way for getting a 4:3 scaled UI on top of a 16:9 scaled 3D viewport?

I've got something in the works :)

Waldemar wrote:10. Most likely this belongs to Dege's domain but I still feel like asking here: is there a dgVoodoo.conf / mm8.ini tweak that would scale the UI using bicubic / superSAI / xbrz or any other filter?

By the looks of it, that's the scaling of my patch. My patch totally bypasses dgVoodoo unless you disable SupportTrueColor option. dgVoodoo does some typical D3D scaling (maybe bi-cubic), which looks too blurry for text. Pixelart scaling algorithms are a good fit, although I don't know if any of them supports transparent color and arbitrary scaling instead of 2x/4x/8x. You can also try lowering ScalingParam1 and ScalingParam2 in INI.
Last edited by GrayFace on Apr 16 2019, 11:31, edited 5 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Templayer
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 424
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Templayer » Apr 16 2019, 15:36

Waldemar wrote:Hi!

I'm a newbie to this project so I hope you will excuse my arrogant questions & suggestions... So, I've just tried out the latest (06.04.2019) version of MM6-7-8 Merge after countless hours in MM6, MM7 and MM8 many, many years ago.

1. Why is the class system so inconsistent? Do we really need MM8-specific classes like Necromancers and Priests as long as we have the Sorcerers and Clerics from MM7? How does the two-stage promotion system and the choice between Light and Dark found in MM7 even work with these MM8 classes, Necromancer being clearly a 'Dark' class and Priest being a 'Light' class? These classes are superfluous and should be removed for the sake of elegance and integrity.

2. Why Jadame and Antagarich races are unavailable in Enroth? Could this be activated with some option? I would love to begin the game in Enroth but have trolls / vampires / minotaurs in my party.

3. Why some MM7 classes like Monk are unavailable in Enroth? If the appropriate promotion quests / trainers are only available in Antagarich, why not just travel there if you consciously chose a Monk for your starting party in Enroth. Same goes to Jadame's Vampires and Trolls.

3. Speaking of Vampires and Trolls, they seem to be two pretty self-contained societies whose 'professions' are tightly linked with their lifestyle, physiology and traditions. So it stands to reason they only have one class, Vampire and Troll accordingly -- but I would rather call those race-specific classes Nightstalker and Barbarian, just to make some distinction between Race and Class -- again for the sake of integrity and keeping with the MM7 tradition. So that Trolls are limited to the Barbarian class and Vampires to the Nightstalker class -- a purely cosmethical change.

4. The Vampire Ability skill, though, seems to be unbalanced and too weak as long as we have all the MM7 classes available. Okay, Life Drain is unique and makes sense.

I could understand Levitate -- unlike Water Walking, it also helps avoiding traps and lava... but it still looks too weak as opposed to the perks granted by other skills at Expert level. Could Levitate maybe increase the party's max travel distance per turn in turn-based combat, like maybe for an extra 20%-25%... and also give a similar speed boost to real time travel and especially to the strafe speed.

At Master, Vampires learn Charm, easily available at Expert level to those proficient in Mind Magic, so that's a joke! I'd happily swap that for a more unique and useful ability, maybe a passive one. What about adding some 2x-3x the number of Skill points in Vampire Ability to Spirit and Body Resistance once a Vampire reaches Master in Vampire Ability? Vampires are undead so they should be more resistant to Body and Spirit negative effects (in addition to being immune to Mind effects)

Finally the Mist Form gained at Grandmaster Vampire Ability is cool but not universally useful, not even close to the overall usefullness of other Grandmaster abilities. But somehow I like Mist Form the way it is... I think Grandmaster Vampire (along with Master and Expert) could become balanced with the rest of the skills if the basic Vampire ability, that is Life Drain, would restore the exact same amount of HP that is stolen from the victim, not a measly 1/3. This would imbue Expert, Master and Grandmaster Vampire Ability skills with a lot more sense since they boost the recovery time and the damage of that basic ability.

Also there's the free and complete Mind immunity that the Vampires receive. Somehow it's not balanced by a drawback. Maybe Vampires should lose their ability to Regenerate or be Healed by any spells while in daylight? So it's gonna be like 'subsist on potions and Life Drain or don't go out at noon and stick to dungeons instead'

5. Minotaurs... The Minotaur class from MM8 is nothing special, there's no reason why Minotaurs should only stick with one profession. Currently the MM6-7-8 Merge has Minotaur class available if you start in Jadame but only the basic MM7 classes if you pick a Minotaur in Antagarich, how come?

It looks reasonable (at least to my mind) that the Minotaur class should go, being superfluous, and Minotaurs should get access to the same classes that Humans, Elves, Goblins and Dwarves get. Or maybe Minotaurs should be restricted from picking classes that end up as Master and Grandmaster spellcasters... but nothing more than that.

The Minotaurs' inability to use boots and helmets should be balanced by giving them a special ability... like maybe getting +1 Hit point per level added to the base HP per level modifier of ANY class they pick and a permanent starting bonus of +10 to Mind, Spirit and Body resistances due to their powerful physique? Not being able to wear boots or helmets becomes a big nuisance in late game when very powerful items become available, giving much more than just the bare Armor Class they have.

6. Dark Elves. Their Dark Elf Ability looks very cheesy and inconsistent as compared to other racial abilities like Vampire Ability, Dragon Ability or Regeneration. Why don't the regular Elves, Dwarves, Goblins and Humans get random spell-like abilities when Dark Elves have them? The choice of Dark Elf 'spells' gained at different Dark Elf Ability mastery levels looks kind of random and far fetched. I'd suggest making Dark Elves a regular race like Humans, etc., without any class restrictions or special abilities -- the only difference being the unique choice of 'weak' and 'strong' stats at character creation, the current selection being Accuracy and Endurance.

7. Dark Path vs. Light Path for MM8 races. This has to be in the game, with the two alternate second tier promotions and all. Vampires turned to Light should change their class to 'Goody-Two-Fangs' after the 2nd promotion, with lots of hilarious dialogue options and tongue-in-cheek humour. Since Vampires don't deal with Dark or Light Magic at all, and have no real alignment affinity, this kind of character seems possible to me in the Might & Magic universe. I mean, vampirism appears to be something purely physiological (if 'physiology' is a proper word for an undead creature) and being evil is merely a popular choice among Vampires, but in no way an absolute imperative. We could have evil Paladins in MM7, remember?

8. These days, everybody's so big on sprite upscaling with neural networks. How come nobody tried Gigapixel AI or at least ESRGAN with the amazing Manga109Attempt dataset on Might & Magic sprites? Look how beautifully these tiny sprites from Daggerfall can be upscaled through pure AI and without human intervention... Might & Magic sprites are so much bigger than Daggerfall's, so you'd be getting a ton more quality if you try AI-upscaling on those!

There's a whole subreddit full of finished and WIP upscaling mods for older games: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/

I was shocked not to find any M&M related threads there...

9. Speaking of upscaling, I've got a question but I don't know if I should ask GrayFace or dgVoodoo Project's Dege the Lead Guy. I'm playing MM6-7-8 Merge with GrayFace's MM8 2.2 Patch and dgVoodoo 2 v2.55.4. Everything looks and works fine, except for the UI getting stretched to 16:9. I'm getting something like this:


Setting StretchWidth and StretchHeight to default fixes this, but I'm getting black bars and the whole thing goes 1440x1080!

Is there a way for getting a 4:3 scaled UI on top of a 16:9 scaled 3D viewport?

10. Most likely this belongs to Dege's domain but I still feel like asking here: is there a dgVoodoo.conf / mm8.ini tweak that would scale the UI using bicubic / superSAI / xbrz or any other filter?


11. This project has many threads and pages at different places... but none of them explain how the plots of MM6, MM7 and MM8 are linked to each other in this mod? I see how the Kreegans crashing into Enroth in MM6 can be followed by Escaton's immediate advent in MM8, but linking the MM7 story to Archibald getting free from his stone curse at the end of MM6 is a bit trickier. How does this mod account for the very special events in MM7 that ultimately result in the party picking either Light or Dark side?

12. Given the same ole five-guy team for the whole playthrough while three times as much content as in a single M&M title, is there a trick implemented to keep the party from leveling up too fast while not reducing the progression to a clog? I'd suggest using the 'killing monsters of a much lower level than you yields you almost no XP' mechanic that Baldur's Gate used, but maybe it's already implemented? Long ago when I played vanilla MM6, MM7 and MM8, I used to spend lots of time wreaking genocide upon the hordes of surface-dwelling mobs just for the sake of gaining XP. With the MM6-7-8 Merge, I feel pretty well off with simply finishing quest dungeons, there's always enough monsters and no need for thorough and intended monster extermination in the wilderness. I suppose that's how the MM6-7-8 should in fact be played. So to keep the player from leveling up too fast (and also to keep them from mindless 'farming') it would be cool to severely cut the XP gains from any slain monsters that are much weaker (i.e. have a much lower level) than your party. Like, there's a lot of goblins and rats in the quest dungeons ahead, you don't need to farm them for XP -- you'll face plenty of them anyways. You should be looking for stronger and stronger monsters to vanquish, because if you keep farming rats and goblins to get more powerful, you'll end up getting very little XP from those easy kills. So only kill for finishing quests, and seek enemies more powerful than you. Travel between Jadame, Enroth and Antagarich to find those; there are plenty of quests on the three continents, level up finishing those instead of exterminating all life in every location.

TL;DR: Leveling should be consistent with the 3X amount of events and monsters in this mod, keeping the player from getting much XP from easy kills seems like a viable option.

P.S. I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone reading this. And thank you for this wonderful mod!

1. There is some balancing done, also you can be promoted in a rather complex mishmash manner between Enrothian, Jadamean and Antagarich classes. Also there are a few new classes.
2. You can use the Character Creation Unlocker on the tracker to play as any race / class combo on any continent. Minotaur Archer? Troll Thief? DRAGON MAGE? Possible. There is also a "racial class" removal, so that the "racial" classes from MM8 are no longer needed and given skills are bound to races instead. So a Vampire Cleric will have Clerical skills together with Vampiric skills (Vampire abilities, meditation, regen,... those specifics)
3. No, it isn't purely cosmetic, and you don't have a say in that. :) Feel free to rename classes to whatever you wish, it's in the .txt tables, but do not force your purely subjective opinions on others as rules.
4. - 6. check the response to 2., you can use my mod to play as any race / class, and my other mod to bind racial skills to races, so all Vampires would get Vampire abilities, no matter if they are Vampire Assassins or Vampire Crusaders,....
7. No, it doesn't have to be in the game.
8. That's ... kinda awesome. Using better graphics is something that GrayFace is working on currently, but as far as I know, it isn't ready yet. So they are texture size limits and such.
11. Play to find about the fourth storyline that combines them together. You do NOT travel to other continents by boats, and there is a reason for that...
12. There is enemy bolstering based on your progress and whatever. Also you can switch the parties if you wish (some people do that, I wouldn't). Enemies get stronger, but do not yield better EXP.
Last edited by Templayer on Apr 16 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 424
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Templayer » Apr 16 2019, 15:45

justl wrote:
Templayer wrote:
justl wrote:i cant recount if I or someone else mentioned it already:

superior temple of baa (Kriegspire): steaming cauldrons dont give +2 fire res (same problem as in castle ironfist it seems)
also in the wolf lair.

skullpiles of death always let the char die

Added to the Bug Tracker.

What was the perception of the character that used the skullpile of death?


master on lvl 7

That would be enough in vanilla MM6 I think, but since that doesn't have GM and the death variation of skullpiles is the highest tier I think (or is it? I do not remember), try having 12 and GM.

I haven't played for a few months, but I think that in vanilla MM6, my archer could use those skullpiles of death without ever dying at master perception.

equs wrote:
Templayer wrote:
equs wrote:
Yes that is even better than my first suggestion, because if both skills are needed you have to choose a class that can be grandmaster of repairing. In your version everybody could be able to repair a blaster, he/she just needs to be on a higher blaster skill level. :tsup:

Could one of you write it to the Suggestion Tracker in some cohesive manner? :P :D

Even anonymous users can edit stuff on the tracker, it works like a suggestion, and I have to apply the changes made (or decline them).

We had a few grievers on the Tracker that suggested nonsensical stuff, like changing Troll Paperdoll to Trolls Paperdoll (without an apostrophe!). Just a BTW.


Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but how can I edit something on the tracker for bugs or suggestions? Would love to help in any way ;)

I have just opened it in anonymous mode, so I am not logged in, and just clicking anywhere in the Tracker tells me through the cursor that I am suggesting edits. Easy as that. Just open the tracker, and type anything you want anywhere you want. I won't apply your changes unless they make sense, of course. Anybody can edit!
Last edited by Templayer on Apr 16 2019, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer

vegetableharry
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 Mar 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby vegetableharry » Apr 16 2019, 20:43

Xfing wrote:
vegetableharry wrote:Hi, I have a question about the new class system. I started the game in Jadame an I got with me a Peasant. Now I found several teachers that learn "Knight", "Sorcerer", "Druid", "Cleric" etc. I also found a trainer for Vampire and Dark Elf, both could not be learned by my Dwarf Peasant.

Anyway, I didn't found a Teacher for Necromancer or Priest. So I wonder, can Peasants only learn Default classes (like the ones from mm6 oder mm7) and not the specialized classes from 8? - Or haven't I just not found those trainers yet?


It stands to reason that you won't get a Dark Elf class with a human peasant :P


That doesn't answer my question though. Are there Necromancer or Priest teachers in the game, or not?

PS: I still have a *dwarf* Peasant, not a human one ;)

vegetableharry
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 Mar 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby vegetableharry » Apr 16 2019, 20:43

Xfing wrote:
vegetableharry wrote:Hi, I have a question about the new class system. I started the game in Jadame an I got with me a Peasant. Now I found several teachers that learn "Knight", "Sorcerer", "Druid", "Cleric" etc. I also found a trainer for Vampire and Dark Elf, both could not be learned by my Dwarf Peasant.

Anyway, I didn't found a Teacher for Necromancer or Priest. So I wonder, can Peasants only learn Default classes (like the ones from mm6 oder mm7) and not the specialized classes from 8? - Or haven't I just not found those trainers yet?


It stands to reason that you won't get a Dark Elf class with a human peasant :P


That doesn't answer my question though. Are there Necromancer or Priest teachers in the game, or not?

PS: I still have a *dwarf* Peasant, not a human one ;‌)
Last edited by vegetableharry on Apr 16 2019, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 11 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby UnknownHuman » Apr 17 2019, 5:49

Hi there.

I hope the picture shows up, yes I know there was white around the pic. My bad.

https://imgur.com/a/XLKDsQ6

But these Boots look finished, just swap left to right and right to left and put at bottom and should be fitting nicely.

User avatar
equs
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 62
Joined: 14 Dec 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby equs » Apr 17 2019, 7:20

Templayer wrote:I have just opened it in anonymous mode, so I am not logged in, and just clicking anywhere in the Tracker tells me through the cursor that I am suggesting edits. Easy as that. Just open the tracker, and type anything you want anywhere you want. I won't apply your changes unless they make sense, of course. Anybody can edit!


Hi Mate, I tried to add something to the suggestion-tracker, but unfortunately I didnt find it... I added two suggestions to the "missing features-list". Can you move them to the right section please?

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 11 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby UnknownHuman » Apr 17 2019, 10:48

Just wondering is it possible to have the Mercs update everyday ingame ?
Everyday a new Merc ?

User avatar
Templayer
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 424
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Postby Templayer » Apr 17 2019, 16:02

vegetableharry wrote:
Xfing wrote:
vegetableharry wrote:Hi, I have a question about the new class system. I started the game in Jadame an I got with me a Peasant. Now I found several teachers that learn "Knight", "Sorcerer", "Druid", "Cleric" etc. I also found a trainer for Vampire and Dark Elf, both could not be learned by my Dwarf Peasant.

Anyway, I didn't found a Teacher for Necromancer or Priest. So I wonder, can Peasants only learn Default classes (like the ones from mm6 oder mm7) and not the specialized classes from 8? - Or haven't I just not found those trainers yet?


It stands to reason that you won't get a Dark Elf class with a human peasant :P


That doesn't answer my question though. Are there Necromancer or Priest teachers in the game, or not?

PS: I still have a *dwarf* Peasant, not a human one ;)

MM8 is still divided into race and class, even vanilla, in vanilla though, characters are for example race: Dark Elf and class: Dark Elf. Racial classes logically cannot be attained this way.
You can be promoted to a Necromancer and Priest I believe. I'm pretty sure about the necromancer. :)

UnknownHuman wrote:Hi there.

I hope the picture shows up, yes I know there was white around the pic. My bad.

https://imgur.com/a/XLKDsQ6

But these Boots look finished, just swap left to right and right to left and put at bottom and should be fitting nicely.

What... what is it for? Is it a repaint for one of the paperdoll types?

equs wrote:
Templayer wrote:I have just opened it in anonymous mode, so I am not logged in, and just clicking anywhere in the Tracker tells me through the cursor that I am suggesting edits. Easy as that. Just open the tracker, and type anything you want anywhere you want. I won't apply your changes unless they make sense, of course. Anybody can edit!


Hi Mate, I tried to add something to the suggestion-tracker, but unfortunately I didnt find it... I added two suggestions to the "missing features-list". Can you move them to the right section please?

Dude, the Suggestion section was literally on THE NEXT PAGE under the place you've put it. :D :D
You can find the blaster suggestion at the end of that section (you can do ctrl+f and try finding suggestion. Why didn't you search for "Suggestion" occurrences in the Tracker?), and the Draco-liche suggestion was not moved there, since it already is there. By me. Rodril doesn't want to have dracoliches, unfortunately. Even though you can make one through the Character Creation Unlocker (creating a Dragon Necromancer and then being promoted to Liche, unfortunately that will change your dragon to a humanoid skeleton at this point. :( )
MMMerge Task Tracker (= Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: http://www.youtube.com/Templayer


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests