Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 24.03.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 28 Mar 2019, 17:09

justl wrote:
justl wrote:Hi,
maybe something could be taken into consideration for Bug section.

In the frozen highland@mm6 the game tends to crash when the following circumstances are active:
- "End the Winter" quest is not completed (it should be snowing all time)
- "Show weather effects" in the Controls is active
This could lead to a situation where it should be snowing, but it is either raining or not snowing/raining ("clear sky").
The game then goes like "MM6 has encountered an internal error and must close. An auto save will take place."
I think the error message is like the one in this picture some pages into this forum:

Well ... autosave won't take place, and you will lose progress.
Either the weather effects from the controls are disabled in this map, until the quest is complete - or (simpler way, but still buggy) you turn it of manually.

thx
justl
self reply:
even when i have put the option weather effects out manually, the snow stops falling about after being 5 minutes in that map and i still get that error message then
please rate that bug from medium to high
Added to the report. Rated as HIGH. :hoo:
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Jessen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jessen » 29 Mar 2019, 21:07

Little convo Temp and I seem to be having. in regards to certain non-implemented spells.

Jesse Noland: Weren't there a few enemies that used this spell [Finger of Death]?
John Templayer: Yes, Minotaur Kings and the "Q". Q is now quite an harmless enemy due to it not existing anymore. Even through he is supposed to be an überenemy.
Jesse Noland: sounds to me like the lack of the spell makes a few hard enemies really cakewalk and laughable.
John Templayer: It does. But as I remember, Rodril was pretty much convinced by some other guy (Xfing? He tends to be like that, so it could have been him) that the previous' only spells were superfluous and were pretty much replaced by better versions. Which is true, but only for about half of them. I was vehemently opposing to that, because I would like for spells to be MERGED as well, since this is, you know ... A MERGE.
Jesse Noland: I do agree, we should try to merge as much as we can. Once thats done, we can look to the future and come up with new. But honestly not all of the spells were superfluous. Finger of Death was one of those spells you had to actually prepare for. And Dark Containment actually HAS story presence in MM6.
John Templayer: There actually wasn't a way to defend against the Finger of Death in vanilla MM6, making it quite an obstacle if it lands. Master level Protection Against Magic doesn't guard against it in MM6. Maybe you should copy paste these discussions of ours into the forum thread, formatting it (making sure that it is easily to tell what each of us wrote). Nobody will probably see it here, and I don't think Rodril will. We need to convince him, and to convince GrayFace to code in the ability to add new spells / new spell pages (it would be cool if the page with those "old spells" would have a tattered look to it!), and potentially new skills. The weak-arse attacking spells could be only implemented as enemy spells (Followers of Baa and such can no longer use those because they do not exist in MM8), the ones that raise a specific attribute can be thrown away, since in MM6 the Day of the Gods spell actually casts them, so in MM8, the Day of the Gods effect replaces all of those, and for the rest - adding them to a single spellbook page would be nice. I have written about how useful some of those are, for example - Castle Kriegspire - mobs tend to spawn outside of the level boundaries. Fire Ring is great for taking those down! :P

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 29 Mar 2019, 21:29

Ok, suggestion time!

Today I got an idea, or at least a concept. It might be an interesting angle to try and develop the potential of the "encounter" system. What gave me the idea are the lines some housed NPCs say in Ravage Roaming about the ratmen from the temple of Eep raiding the town at night and stealing stuff. Currently the random encounters only consist of monsters findable in the same area, be it an indoor or outdoor one - and their chance of occurring is generally bigger the closer you are to an area populated with hostiles.

But perhaps they could be used as a way to improve immersion in a manner such as in the example cited above? Ravage Roaming only has ogres, gorgons and wyverns in it right now, but maybe there could be a way to program Eep raids at night, not dependent on the party being in hostile areas (could happen in town too)? This could be extended to other areas based on either direct lore or logical extrapolation. For example ogre/mercenary raids on Alvar and such. What do you think?

vegetableharry
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby vegetableharry » 30 Mar 2019, 01:39

GrayFace wrote:… A fix is to set compatibility mode for mm8setup.exe to XP, then run the setup and choose Hardware 3D. If that doesn't work, download and install https://download.microsoft.com/download ... redist.exe
Compatibility mode for mm8.exe might also be required - either Windows 8 or Windows 7.
This didn't worked for me. Of course deactivating 3D worked, but that is of course not what I want. So, has anyone have another idea, how to solve this problem?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 30 Mar 2019, 06:13

vegetableharry wrote:Of course deactivating 3D worked, but that is of course not what I want. So, has anyone have another idea, how to solve this problem?
I'm using win 98 compatibility, otherwise it does not work for me. If it won't help, chek this out: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 80#p372781
justl wrote:even when i have put the option weather effects out manually, the snow stops falling about after being 5 minutes in that map and i still get that error message then
Fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2i86aqa520u0 ... r.lua?dl=0 , tell me if it works.
Xfing wrote:Today I got an idea, or at least a concept. It might be an interesting angle to try and develop the potential of the "encounter" system. What gave me the idea are the lines some housed NPCs say in Ravage Roaming about the ratmen from the temple of Eep raiding the town at night and stealing stuff. Currently the random encounters only consist of monsters findable in the same area, be it an indoor or outdoor one - and their chance of occurring is generally bigger the closer you are to an area populated with hostiles.
It is nice idea. I don't think i'll implement it soon, but probably it will have another use.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 Mar 2019, 08:43

Rodril wrote:
justl wrote:even when i have put the option weather effects out manually, the snow stops falling about after being 5 minutes in that map and i still get that error message then
Fix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2i86aqa520u0 ... r.lua?dl=0 , tell me if it works.
i opened the link, saw the text from the file displayed and used direct download.
getting this error, when starting the game (even before i open save):
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
... VIII - Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\General\Weather.lua:236: hook at address 444EC3 is already set

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1501: in function 'hook'
... VIII - Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\General\Weather.lua:236: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'hook':
p = 4476611
f = (function: 0x150a5c28)
size = 5

upvalues of 'hook':
assert = (function: builtin#2)
GetHookSize = (function: 0x02eff2e0)
mem_hooks = (table: 0x02eff250)
error = (function: 0x02e78cc8)
format = (function: builtin#91)
IgnoreCount = 0
u1 = (table: 0x02efd318)
OpCALL = 232
i4 = (table: 0x02efcfe0)
Mem_HookProc = 46873424
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

luckily i saved the old weather.lua ... i use it as backup til this worx
(i used to save my game when the snow stopped and immediatly reloaded it, so the snow could fall again - bit of a rough work around but worx)
Last edited by justl on 30 Mar 2019, 08:46, edited 2 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 30 Mar 2019, 08:57

Have you moved old Weather.lua out of "General" folder before applying new?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Mar 2019, 09:16

Xfing wrote:Ok, suggestion time!

Today I got an idea, or at least a concept. It might be an interesting angle to try and develop the potential of the "encounter" system. What gave me the idea are the lines some housed NPCs say in Ravage Roaming about the ratmen from the temple of Eep raiding the town at night and stealing stuff. Currently the random encounters only consist of monsters findable in the same area, be it an indoor or outdoor one - and their chance of occurring is generally bigger the closer you are to an area populated with hostiles.

But perhaps they could be used as a way to improve immersion in a manner such as in the example cited above? Ravage Roaming only has ogres, gorgons and wyverns in it right now, but maybe there could be a way to program Eep raids at night, not dependent on the party being in hostile areas (could happen in town too)? This could be extended to other areas based on either direct lore or logical extrapolation. For example ogre/mercenary raids on Alvar and such. What do you think?
You should contact Echo for that, he should be able to design those perfectly. Added to the Suggestion Tracker.

vegetableharry
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vegetableharry » 30 Mar 2019, 09:19

Rodril wrote:
vegetableharry wrote:Of course deactivating 3D worked, but that is of course not what I want. So, has anyone have another idea, how to solve this problem?
I'm using win 98 compatibility, otherwise it does not work for me. If it won't help, chek this out: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 80#p372781
Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I found out, that it works, if I decrease resolution to Full HD (1920x1080) in Windows settings. Normally I use a resolution of 3840x2160. I mean FullHD is sufficiant. But I wonder, if anyone else has this problem too? Shouldn't it be working in high resolution too?

PS: I finally found the solution. - After I renamed the exe file it worked. First this behavior seemed a little odd. But than of course I realized that Compatibility settings are saved by the exe name. So it seems without compatibility settings it works.

PPS: The Solution I found earlier actually didn't worked as expected. After I rename the exe I can only start it once, than I have to rename it again. Very strange behavior. So I have to rename the exe every time I want to start the game! - It seems, it has nothing to do with the compatibily setting after all. Anyway. To Change the name anytime is doable.
Last edited by vegetableharry on 16 Apr 2019, 05:36, edited 3 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 30 Mar 2019, 12:00

- And is there already a way to get a Necromancer to be a Master Necromancer, or are they doomed to lichdom? Many appreciate the individuality and voices of Devlin Arcanus or Nathaniel Roberts for instance - them being able to preserve it and still master their craft would be a really nice thing to have. In return, they'd be missing out on Regeneration and the Mind and Body immunities of course. Of course we could also slightly cap Master Necromancers in another utility skill or two - I know it's game-altering, but the entire class in itself is new, so I don't think it would be going overboard if some of their skills were somewhat altered. The problem is that I don't really have much of an idea which skills even could be nerfed compared to liches, since most utility skills that necromancers can get up to Master are already available to them at that promotion level, and Liches could grandmaster 3 less whole skills in MM8 than they could in 7, this nerf being preserved in the merge (meditation, learning, alchemy). Maybe then it would be OK to give GM learning to Liches exclusively or something? Just a thought, don't hold me to it :D

- There is also the issue of the "full" lich jars from MM7 - I believe this mechanic is gone entirely in MM8, but the MM7 lich jars remain after the promotion by Halfgild Wynac, serving no purpose (or do they? Frankly, haven't tested it). There are two solutions to this - either remove the MM7 jars and have them stop clogging up the inventory, or implement the same functionality for the MM8 lich jars (though in that case obviously the image wouldn't change, as they are not see-through).

- Also, while browsing through the game files one time via MMEdit, I've noticed that the latest Potion suggestion of "Protection from Magic" is fully implemented, it just fails to work like you mentioned and therefore doesn't appear in the game. My suggestion to try to remedy this would be making the spell Pain Reflection, this one does work on single characters, so it should work as a potion too. Just a reminder to you, Rodril.

- Has my writeup for wand stratification suggestion been added to the appropriate part of the tracker? If not then let me know and I'll find it in the thread again.

- I've noticed that despite the hard limit on artifacts and relics appears to be gone, the chest limit is still in place. There are no more artifacts or relics in chests, at least on Jadame. In fact, the only place where I'm able to find them anymore is Dragonsand and other top tier Enroth locations, sometimes the land of the Titans. I'm not getting anymore from Jadamean dragons even. So what's the general way this all works?

- Last but not least, the bolster still affects peasants way more than it should. I'm in Ravenshore and the green female Dark Elf Peasants have 320 HP and the blue ones have 400 - with 2d80 and 2d100 damage. I'm not entirely opposed to peasants getting slightly stronger as the party levels, but I think at level 200 the top peasant variety having around 50 hp would be enough. The lowest tier peasants start out with a mere 3 hp, so the bolster magnitude as of right now seems a bit too high.
Last edited by Xfing on 30 Mar 2019, 12:52, edited 3 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Mar 2019, 18:42

Xfing wrote: - Has my writeup for wand stratification suggestion been added to the appropriate part of the tracker? If not then let me know and I'll find it in the thread again.
Page 62-63.

Other things added to the Bug Tracker.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 30 Mar 2019, 21:20

Rodril wrote:Have you moved old Weather.lua out of "General" folder before applying new?
i have renamed the old one "origweather.lua"
or is that not enough for the game to realise it?
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Mar 2019, 21:51

justl wrote:
Rodril wrote:Have you moved old Weather.lua out of "General" folder before applying new?
i have renamed the old one "origweather.lua"
or is that not enough for the game to realise it?
Probably not. I presume the game reads all the lua scripts there. No wonder that the hooks would die if two scripts tried accessing them, or at least that is what I think (my knowledge of lua is almost nonexistent)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 31 Mar 2019, 14:18

Templayer wrote: Probably not. I presume the game reads all the lua scripts there. No wonder that the hooks would die if two scripts tried accessing them, or at least that is what I think (my knowledge of lua is almost nonexistent)
you presumed right. worx now with the old lua out of the directory
@rodril: maybe you could post that as hint in the first post of the thread? thx

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 01 Apr 2019, 12:17

So I loaded up after a long while.
Fresh installed game from GOG, installed everything like it says.

1. Failed to create D3D, then game turns off.
2. Use Software mode for gfx and game runs. BUT with choppy sounds :(.

Dont know what to do to fix these problems, sad to day.
Anyone got any clue ?
Last edited by UnknownHuman on 01 Apr 2019, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 02 Apr 2019, 15:13

UnknownHuman wrote:Dont know what to do to fix these problems, sad to day.
Anyone got any clue ?
Try these solutions:
1. Set compatibility mode of launcher and mm8.exe to win98.
2. If your screen resolution higher than 1920x1080, decrease it to 1920x1080.
3. Reinstall Grayface's patch into game folder and reapply latest update.
justl wrote:@rodril: maybe you could post that as hint in the first post of the thread? thx
I hope to change method of displaying weather effects in next update, what should make this tip unnecessary.

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 02 Apr 2019, 15:39

@Rodril

It worked :O
Genius :)
My native screen is 44 inch so its up in 3840.

Can I still use dgVoodoo program for nicer graphics ?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 03 Apr 2019, 00:09

For those who are a fan of Morrowind. I created a mod that has two quests and over a hundred new meshes (created with blender, a free program). Here is the link. https://www.moddb.com/mods/enchanted-ho ... een-update
Last edited by DaveHer on 03 Apr 2019, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jessen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jessen » 03 Apr 2019, 00:12

DaveHer wrote:For those who are a fan of Morrowind. I created a mod that has two quests and over a hundred new meshes (created with blender, a free program). Here is the link. https://www.moddb.com/mods/enchanted-ho ... een-update
this isn't a Morrowind forum though...

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 03 Apr 2019, 00:16

Jessen wrote:
DaveHer wrote:For those who are a fan of Morrowind. I created a mod that has two quests and over a hundred new meshes (created with blender, a free program). Here is the link. https://www.moddb.com/mods/enchanted-ho ... een-update
this isn't a Morrowind forum though...
I know that but there may be some people that are Morrowind fans and, MM6-8 Like me, that come to this site.

Return to “Might and Magic”