Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Rodril » 20 Dec 2017, 05:55

Archer and champion promotions fixed (speak with champion promoter again to fix topic), statues in Murmurwoods and resistances should behave correctly now. MM6 artifacts have been rescripted and will eventually appear inside rarest chests.
Phobos wrote:I'm very curious about the prospect of new promotions. I wonder what program could be used to create such a promotion quest?
Lua scripts allow to do that. There are examples in "PromotionTopics.lua" in "...Scripts\Global" folder, most of them - just corrections of existing quests. Jadamean sorcerer promotion is simpliest example of new one, it uses Grayface's Quest function, which makes process a lot easier:

Code: Select all

Quest{
	NPC 		= *Index of NPC who will have quest topic*,
	Branch 	= "", -- used for branched dialogs
	Slot 		= *index of topic's slot (0-5)*,
	CanShow 		= function - should return true if player allowed to see topic,
	CheckDone 	= function - should return true, when player have completed quest,
	Done			= function - fires once quest completed (rewards and other effects),
	After			= function - what happens when player clicks topic again after quest completion,
	Texts = {		Topic	= *name of topic*,
				Give 		= *text when NPC gives quest,
				Undone	= *text to show, when quest given but have not been completed*,
				Done		= *text to show when player claims quest's rewards*,
				After		= *text to show after quest completion*}
	}
There are few complicated examples at Grayface's site, detailed explanation and reference manual: https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... TOC-Quests

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 20 Dec 2017, 10:37

Wow, that is very interesting! I'll have to look into these lua scripts more.

Good job as always! I can't wait to see MM6 artifacts in the game :D

Oh, it seems Lathean ignores the first character when promoting Necromancers to Liches. She is left untransformed, even though the jar is taken. The rest of them are promoted just fine. Halfgild Wynac promotes everyone correctly.

A small thing: Price Fixing dialogue doesn't appear when the stables open (at 5 am), you have to wait until 6 am.

With your advice, I've tried to create a new class and play with the starting skills a little. I found a little issue with Light Magic. If the character (or any character really) in the first slot starts with Light Magic, they get no Light Bolt in their spell-book and no Destroy Undead spell in their inventory. Characters in slot 2-5 will have these spells if they start with Light. Any idea how to fix this so the spells are given to the 1st slot too?
Last edited by Phobos on 20 Dec 2017, 16:24, edited 5 times in total.

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 20 Dec 2017, 20:16

Good day to you, dear lords and ladies! Long days and pleasant nights to you, Rodril!
Thank you for doing such a great job on my most favourite M&M game series! Such enthusiasm as yours is beyond any praise I could give. :-D

I've strolled through the whole thread before starting the journey of my own. Lately I've been thinking of some spell damage scaling since the monsters are scaled too. I may try to change some values in Spells2.txt file in Tables and see how it works. At least 50% boost may be quite alright.

In the vanilla games I've found it quite a bit disappointing that most of the attacking spells were of a little use in a real combat due to their mid to low effectiveness and pretty high mana consumption rate against strong monsters. In some cases a few strong mana potions and 600+ mana pool would do great, but in most cases it's an Archmage stuffing his enemies with his double daggers in melee when there's nothing else left to cast death with. Though, the appropriate usage of Dragon Breath or Death Blossom right into the hordes of enemies makes it not so disappointing. Still, if there's a bunch of 3000+ HP dragons and just a handful of 160 DMG /3015 MP Immolates... Who even needs those attack magic spells! Better chop 'em all with that BIG AX in two halves. The same damage output and no ammo spent. Or just go steroids with the Light/Dark buff spells.

I think it would be nice to have some damage multiplier that increases per each 10 levels of the caster, e.g. 5-10% per 10 levels or even 1% per level. This increase doesn't seem so overpowered to me. Just my musings though. :)

UPD: As MM Engine works only with integer values, I suppose, the multiplier should be larger but applied with less frequency - once in 20 or 25 levels. And I've thought now of the time which passes while the party is at the gym rising their level. It's 1 year per 25 levels of a single character - 5 years to pass while the whole band of 5 gets level 25. In this perspective the minor spell power up of about 25% once in a half decade for the party speaks of progress and prosperity.

Also miss that 15 HP per min of game time Regeneration spell at Body Magic GM from MM7.
Last edited by Waffel on 20 Dec 2017, 20:38, edited 3 times in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 20 Dec 2017, 20:36

There is no fly spell book to find in jadame. Is it a mod or a bug?

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 20 Dec 2017, 20:36

- Guild of the light issue: I can buy Divine Intervention spell in Celeste's guild before doing Divine Intervention quest.
- I received unknown item called "_potion/reagent" from wine rack in wine cellar in Tatalia
- In wine cellar some enemies seems to be spawned out of bounds (I think so - I've cleared up location, but enemy indicator still flashes yellow).
- Missing text when asking Quixote for hero promotion, the same thing is with Master of Thieves' spy quest
- At Temple of Baa in Avlee wrong monsters are spawned - istead of Baa Clerics (Priests of The Moon) game spawns Regnan Sorcerers named "Jeric Whistlebone"
Last edited by nortonex on 21 Dec 2017, 19:27, edited 6 times in total.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 21 Dec 2017, 04:01

nortonex wrote: - In wine cellar some enemies seems to be spawned out of bounds (I think so - I've cleared up location, but enemy indicator still flashes yellow).
Confirmed, happens to me too.
Also, Ressurrectra rushes with congratulating on bringing the thing from Lincoln even before I went there (after receiving a quest). Roland, while getting rescued, gives me 5 keys he stole from some devil (poor guy, 5 keys and not even one fits).

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 21 Dec 2017, 19:53

Patch's link updated. Fixed divine intervention issue and few other minor bugs, refined Wine cellar and Temple of Baa in Antagarich.
Phobos wrote:Any idea how to fix this so the spells are given to the 1st slot too?
Seems game did not have item list for such case, fixed in today's update.
equs wrote:There is no fly spell book to find in jadame. Is it a mod or a bug?
It is in Regna. Can not reproduce issue with lich transformation for now.
Waffel wrote:In the vanilla games I've found it quite a bit disappointing that most of the attacking spells were of a little use in a real combat due to their mid to low effectiveness and pretty high mana consumption rate against strong monsters.
I'll think about it. I have to do some tests with high level spells first: new artifacts could improve mastery a lot, plus their sp regen actually works and can be stacked.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Dec 2017, 20:52

Thank you! Such quick work again. A minor thing occurred to me just now: because MM6 had different names for the promotions, Lords Stone and Stromgard use the wrong titles for archers and priests. Maybe it would make sense to change their references to 'Battle Mages' to 'Warrior Mages', 'Warrior Mages' to 'Master Archers' and 'High Priests' to 'Priests of Light' in the dialogue files? I found dialogues and topics in NPCTopic and NPCText, so is it enough to edit just those?
Last edited by Phobos on 21 Dec 2017, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 22 Dec 2017, 10:17

Will this work with original old game version? Or its just GoG ?
Do I need also installed 6 and 7 for this to work ? I don't understand how it was made

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 22 Dec 2017, 10:51

koval321 wrote:Will this work with original old game version? Or its just GoG ?
Do I need also installed 6 and 7 for this to work ? I don't understand how it was made
No need anything except mm8 GOG version, this is necessary. No need to install mm7 or mm6. The original disk version will not work. Simply follow the instructions in the first post.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 22 Dec 2017, 11:51

@Koval - I'm not sure if Equs had a problem getting his CD Install to work, but the CD install works perfect for me. Tomchen has also said the CD Install works for him.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 22 Dec 2017, 12:18

Anubis wrote:@Koval - I'm not sure if Equs had a problem getting his CD Install to work, but the CD install works perfect for me. Tomchen has also said the CD Install works for him.
Maybe my CD installation isn't working, because it's a German version. So English CD version may be working, too.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 22 Dec 2017, 12:19

@Rodril can you check 'regeneration' property of items? I have two items that regenerate mana points (ring for lich and amulet for priest) but it seems that they don't regenerate mana at all.

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 22 Dec 2017, 16:53

@Rodril, thank you once again!

I've noticed that there's no wood to lit in the signal fire pits in Harmondale. It's not a big deal but Grognard's Cutlass and a few more goblins to get some gold and exp from won't harm to have.

ADD: There's no key from the treasury in The Hall in the Hill (Avlee) dropping from the Dragonfly Queen. Some of the dragonflies in the first grotto (in the stone circle) are stuck in textures so there's no way to reach them.

ADD(2): For some reason there's no background music, though I've seen the audio files placed at the game directory right where they were supposed to be. Please, does anyone know what's the issue can be?

ADD(3): I've catched a bug when rested in Erathia. First, I've opened a chest (which has blown off half of my faces), then slept once, then pulled another chest, slept once more but suddenly some Raider came across my camp and interrupted the rest. After killing him I've set my party to rest again (two were awake and the others asleep at that moment) and that's when the "magic" started. In this state it's impossible to recall the main menu, inventory or any other menu except the NPC companions widget. So I had to power escape. Though the state of the characters is shown as Good and it's still possible to move and attack.
Last edited by Waffel on 22 Dec 2017, 18:57, edited 5 times in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 22 Dec 2017, 20:09

Waffel wrote:@Rodril

ADD(2): For some reason there's no background music, though I've seen the audio files placed at the game directory right where they were supposed to be. Please, does anyone know what's the issue can be?

ADD(3): I've catched a bug when rested in Erathia. First, I've opened a chest (which has blown off half of my faces), then slept once, then pulled another chest, slept once more but suddenly some Raider came across my camp and interrupted the rest. After killing him I've set my party to rest again (two were awake and the others asleep at that moment) and that's when the "magic" started. In this state it's impossible to recall the main menu, inventory or any other menu except the NPC companions widget. So I had to power escape. Though the state of the characters is shown as Good and it's still possible to move and attack.
To ADD2)
Did you enable mp3 playback in the grayface settings?

To ADD3)
Had the same problem.... Had to shut off the game without saving... It wasn't possible to open any menu anymore...

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 22 Dec 2017, 22:01

equs wrote: To ADD2)
Did you enable mp3 playback in the grayface settings?

To ADD3)
Had the same problem.... Had to shut off the game without saving... It wasn't possible to open any menu anymore...
Oh, many thanks, equs! I'll check those settings right away.

And I think I've found something new on that rest bug. It reoccured to me when I, supposedly, tried to skip the animation of the time passing by. After that some elements of interface (like portraits) seem to freeze and they change only if you look into inventory via pressing 'i' or into the chest. But it's no way for main menu and the game went down in a few moments after I've blown up half of my party dead on a chest trap. So, I think, it's safer to wait a little when you 'rest' till the animation passes. Then things go normal.

jmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jmaster » 23 Dec 2017, 07:18

Now I almost finished MM6(delivered the cube to the oracle). The main problem is is monster resistances: almost all of them are completely immune to clerical magic and light/dark magic. Light magic can be used for buffs, but dark magic becomes completely useless. It is ridiculous, that skeletons, ghosts and litches have immunity to harm undead :).

There is something strange with mm6 artifacts, for example I found ring Igraide(gives buffs to clerical magic and spellpoints), for 10 in every magic it gives +5 Body magic (normal), +37 Mind magic ( :) ) and -7 to Spirit magic (that's strange). Seems that this is because of equipped ghost ring from mm7.

There are many MM6 empty bottles in Darkmoor and Varn, but the only way how to use them is to sell them.
Last edited by jmaster on 23 Dec 2017, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 23 Dec 2017, 10:28

jmaster wrote: There is something strange with mm6 artifacts, for example I found ring Igraide(gives buffs to clerical magic and spellpoints), for 10 in every magic it gives +5 Body magic (normal), +37 Mind magic ( :) ) and -7 to Spirit magic (that's strange). Seems that this is because of equipped ghost ring from mm7.
I don't know if it's only for me but the Ghost Ring Gives +37 Spirit Magic, and my party are just level 10. Maybe it's a little bit overpowered at this step but it would quickly become well-suiting in a half a hundred levels later, I assume. Especially when there are some Terminator Units tending to turn you in ashes just in one shot (not that I'm unhappy about really challenging opponents :tongue: ).

ADD: Here's what i've seen when entered the Barrow VII. Looks like Judge Grey has moved on to the graveyard a little bit too early.

Last edited by Waffel on 23 Dec 2017, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 23 Dec 2017, 14:27

nortonex wrote:@Rodril can you check 'regeneration' property of items? I have two items that regenerate mana points (ring for lich and amulet for priest) but it seems that they don't regenerate mana at all.
It looks like only items with simple regeneration ('of Mana' property) don't work rings with 'of Mana' property work. Items 'of Eclipse' and 'of Unicorn' do regenerate SP.
Last edited by Waffel on 23 Dec 2017, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 23 Dec 2017, 21:41

Rodril, do you plan on allowing games to be played as stand-alone but on MM8 engine? (Without merging) Would be neat, much easier to patch and mod in future, I guess. Also sky looks kind of strange, did they use different approach in 6 and 7? Loved how it looked there, especially in software mode, but now it looks much different.
Last edited by Vinevi on 23 Dec 2017, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”