Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 16.02.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 19 Feb 2019, 17:26

FacelessMaster wrote:Bug Report

Seven's League Boots are currently not applicable to "of water magic" (let alone image problem)

https://imgur.com/a/cGlMDPB
Added to the Bug Tracker. I was waiting for a specification of where did you found them, but alas there was none. :(
Daedros wrote:Does each T6/Artifact capable mob draw from the same pool of Artifacts? Or do certain T6 monsters have a different pool of Artifacts to pull from? I've been save scumming the loot on Dragons and Blood Titans in the Land of the Giants for about 2-3 hours now, and have yet to see Hands of the Master, Morgan, Ethric's Staff, or the Scholar's Cap show up. I didn't see Igraine pop up on them either, for that i had to save scum the loot on Wromthrax.
That might be a bug. I will add it to the Bug Tracker.
justl wrote:
Daedros wrote:Turning in the Tapesty to Niles Stantley drops your Reputation by -25 in Tatalia. This looks like a bug.
i'm not quite sure if it wasnt already in mm7 this way (though rep wasnt as important as in mm6 - due to light or dark path)
A vanilla bug is still a bug. Especially since as you've said, reputation wasn't all that important in MM7 due to the mirrored paths, so the bug affects the Merge more than a vanilla game.
Daedros wrote:Just looted a spell book for Sacrifice off of a Blood Titan. That probably shouldn't be possible, since the spell doesn't exist in the Spellbook anymore.
Added to the bug tracker.
Daedros wrote:The "Teacher Locations" section of the Journal has some errors for the Antagarich teachers. It lists the GM Item ID teacher, Payge Blueswan, in Avlee, when she's actually in the Tularean Forest.
It doesn't even list the Master Repair Item teacher, Thomas Moore, as being in Tatalia.

It wouldn't let me click on the water in the Breeding Pit to extend the bridge. I had to use Telekinesis on the water to trigger it.

Hirelings are taking gold from your winnings at the Arena, as well as the 100k Gold you find at the Obelisk "chest" in Evenmorn Islands. This can be quite a large chunk of gold they're taking. I have 4 Instructors for +60 Learning skill (which doesn't seem to be functioning correctly), so that right there is 28% of gold looted/won.

Most Temples on Antagarich do not train Merchant skill. Only temple i've found so far that does, is the "Temple of Stone" in Stone City.
Added to the bug tracker.
Xfing wrote:Suggestion: Make Necromancers promotable to Master Wizards so that they can be turned to Master Necromancers at Su Lang Manchu's - either that or introduce another way for them to get that level while bypassing Master Wizard. Guys like Arcanus or Roberts from MM8 were so cool that it would be nice to let them obtain the pinnacle of dark skill while preserving their cool portraits and voices :P

Necromancers are implied to be too far gone to try light magic as Master Wizards, so I'm thinking what else could be tried here. Having non-lich Jadamean Necromancers would really be nice.

Maybe adding another dialogue option and setting up a flag that checks whether at least the Jadame lich quest has been completed (or the Antagarich one as well if the party has chosen the Dark), and then he could promote all necros in the party to master necros? Like a new quest or something.
Added to the Suggestion tracker.
My idea: The MM8 classes have only two phases, with the first one already being on par with first-promotion classes of the previous games. Thus there is no reason for a middle class, if the Necromancer is already a first-promotion class tier, then simply enable Necromancer -> Master Necromancer promotion.

EDIT: The Tracker has 100 pages, once again! Now let's wait for some bug squashing, so that it can go back to 99. :tsup: :devious: :hug:
Last edited by Templayer on 19 Feb 2019, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 20 Feb 2019, 03:34

"Go to the Mercenary Guild in Tatalia and talk to Niles Stantley within two weeks" never leaves the Quest Log, even after completing the quest for him and more than two weeks have passed since.

Bracada, Celeste, and Castle Lambent remain permanently hostile if you steal the Tapestry from Castle Lambent for Niles Stantley, even when the areas reset. They should only be hostile until a map reset.
Last edited by Daedros on 20 Feb 2019, 04:05, edited 3 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 20 Feb 2019, 04:20

BTW what does it mean that reputation in MM7 is not important "due to the mirrored paths"? Reputation in MM7 is region-locked, and it didnt' seem to work at all in MM8. Losing 25 points in Tatalia is nothing, you can just go donate at the temple there and bring yourself back to neutral.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 20 Feb 2019, 06:23

Templayer wrote:
Daedros wrote:Does each T6/Artifact capable mob draw from the same pool of Artifacts? Or do certain T6 monsters have a different pool of Artifacts to pull from? I've been save scumming the loot on Dragons and Blood Titans in the Land of the Giants for about 2-3 hours now, and have yet to see Hands of the Master, Morgan, Ethric's Staff, or the Scholar's Cap show up.
That might be a bug. I will add it to the Bug Tracker.
Yep, i can confirm, those Artifacts do not show up at all anymore, and that particular save has never received them. I just checked several Chests that are supposed to be guaranteed an Artifact if you've never been to that area before, and all i'm getting is gems out of them. Plus i've save scummed Dragons and Blood Titans for hours with none of these Artifacts appearing. Hands of the Master, Morgan, Ethric's Staff, Scholar's Cap, Poseidon, Trident of Rulership, Herondale's Lost Shield, Staff of the Swamp, Elfbane, Elsenrail, Havoc, and Ullyses. This is on a new Monk save too (accidentally saved over my old Monk save, so had to restart it), so missing the Hands of the Master in particular sucks.
Maybe the Artifact cap somehow got re-introduced with a patch.
Last edited by Daedros on 20 Feb 2019, 06:25, edited 3 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 20 Feb 2019, 12:15

Yeah, I think all the artifacts and relics should be pooled together for the purpose of random finds, with no prioritization of MM8 artifacts on Jadame etc etc. The only exclusions should be:
- Fixed place artifacts - such as Elfbane, Elven Chainmail itd - ones that come pre-itentified, are not sellable and are primarily found in fixed chests - shouldn't ever appear in additional locations ever again, at all
- Items that need repaints would temporarily stop dropping, but be reintroduced after their repaints have been created (MM6-7 boots, cloaks, belts and helms for example)

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 20 Feb 2019, 15:28

Working on a MMVI-inspired UI for VIII. It still needs some polish, but wanted to share:

If you are interested you can get the current version here. updated 02.20.19 22:45

To install add everything from the archive to Icons.lod with MMArchive (it will replace and save everything right away). Don't forget to back up.
Last edited by Vinevi on 20 Feb 2019, 19:54, edited 3 times in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 20 Feb 2019, 21:36

Xfing wrote:Yeah, I think all the artifacts and relics should be pooled together for the purpose of random finds, with no prioritization of MM8 artifacts on Jadame etc etc. The only exclusions should be:
- Fixed place artifacts - such as Elfbane, Elven Chainmail itd - ones that come pre-itentified, are not sellable and are primarily found in fixed chests - shouldn't ever appear in additional locations ever again, at all
- Items that need repaints would temporarily stop dropping, but be reintroduced after their repaints have been created (MM6-7 boots, cloaks, belts and helms for example)
I've checked guaranteed Artifact chests in Antagarich (the black chest in Colony Zod) and guaranteed Artifact chests in Jadame (the willow tree in Ravenshore) and neither contain any Artifacts, despite the fact that there are numerous Artifacts i have not acquired yet on this newer Monk save. This leads me to believe that the Artifact cap was accidentally re-introduced.
On my Monk save, the Arcomage Chest in Erathia spawns Eclipse (a fixed spawn on Jadame), Supreme Plate, Fleetfingers, and Herald's Boots. These respawn in the chest every time the map resets.

Bracada Desert, Celeste and Castle Lambent being permanently hostile after stealing the Tapestry, even after a map reset, is preventing me from continuing the main questline. I just killed Xenofex, yet can't turn in the quest to Resurrectra due to the Throneroom in Castle Lambent being locked.
Last edited by Daedros on 20 Feb 2019, 21:43, edited 4 times in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 21 Feb 2019, 08:25

Question of curiosity - is the artifact limit still present in the game? I think it'd be awesome if it was entirely removed and we could build a grand collection of all 6-7-8 artifacts and relics :D

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Feb 2019, 10:15

A small cosmetic bug with rings: Some MM6 rings are aligned too much to the right in the ring slots. This concerns Scarab Ring, Ethereal Ring, Witch Ring, Blessed Ring, Precious Ring, Fine Ring, Exquisite Ring, and to a smaller degree, Sparkling Ring and Valuable Ring. Curiously, Lunar Ring seems perfectly aligned.
Echo wrote:Question of curiosity - is the artifact limit still present in the game? I think it'd be awesome if it was entirely removed and we could build a grand collection of all 6-7-8 artifacts and relics :D
I believe it has been removed. I've got a huge amount of them myself.

Anerag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anerag » 21 Feb 2019, 13:34

Looks like 36.mp3 is missing, leading to a crash when entering stone city.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 21 Feb 2019, 15:59

Daedros wrote:Bracada Desert, Celeste and Castle Lambent being permanently hostile after stealing the Tapestry, even after a map reset, is preventing me from continuing the main questline. I just killed Xenofex, yet can't turn in the quest to Resurrectra due to the Throneroom in Castle Lambent being locked.
They do reset their hostility after map refill, but it takes two years. You don't need to wait, you can enter throne room whenever if your hostile indicator is green, i.e. clear out Castle Lambent of hostile enemies.
Vinevi wrote:Working on a MMVI-inspired UI for VIII. It still needs some polish, but wanted to share:
It looks very good. Even green background of character portraits kind of fits in UI.
Daedros wrote:I've checked guaranteed Artifact chests in Antagarich (the black chest in Colony Zod) and guaranteed Artifact chests in Jadame (the willow tree in Ravenshore) and neither contain any Artifacts, despite the fact that there are numerous Artifacts i have not acquired yet on this newer Monk save. This leads me to believe that the Artifact cap was accidentally re-introduced.
On my Monk save, the Arcomage Chest in Erathia spawns Eclipse (a fixed spawn on Jadame), Supreme Plate, Fleetfingers, and Herald's Boots. These respawn in the chest every time the map resets.
Echo wrote:Question of curiosity - is the artifact limit still present in the game? I think it'd be awesome if it was entirely removed and we could build a grand collection of all 6-7-8 artifacts and relics
Limit was removed, but there was mistiake in algorythm. Table of found afrtifacts did not reset each year and flags were set upon generating artifact (i.e. if you enter map and any chest there contain artifact, game did count that artifact as already founded, even if you did not open chest), i've fixed these issues, but it require some additional testing, i'll post new patch tomorrow.
Anerag wrote:Looks like 36.mp3 is missing, leading to a crash when entering stone city.
Stone City uses 34th soundtrack, 36 is not used anywhere. If crash repeats, please, send me your savegame file.

Anerag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anerag » 21 Feb 2019, 18:22

Rodril wrote:Stone City uses 34th soundtrack, 36 is not used anywhere. If crash repeats, please, send me your savegame file.
Oops, I tried entering stone city again and crashed. Looks like 36.mp3 had nothing to do with it and it was just a fluke.

Here's the save http://0x0.laatikko.io/Eq.zip

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 21 Feb 2019, 21:34

This is the most awesome shit I have found in so long. I love the work you guys have been doing.

The MM7 interface looks baller, does it change depending on choice of side as well? I'll be following that one closely.

I've found only a few bugs, and some of them seem to have been fixed, but I'll note the few things I've found:

Noblebone Bow (with explosive impact) will not be repaired in any weapons store in Jadame. He simply assures me it isn't broken. (Goddamn salesmen) Might be that Antagarich or Enroth weaponsmiths might be more helpful, but I have not gotten around to visit any yet.

I have more than once fallen through geometry in different caverns. Tunnels to Eofol in Antagarich and the dragon caves in Garrote Gorge in Jadame immediately springs to mind.

A few times the Great Wyrm leader of the dragons in Garrot Gorge has refused to speak with me, even when I have little or no interaction with the dragons. When I enter his cave he simply refuses to give me any dialogue options.

I will report back if I find anything else.

While you guys have been looking into this, have you seen if Arcomage can be modified? Like, adding cards for instance? Might be an interesting avenue further down the line.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 21 Feb 2019, 21:37

I'd really like to see at least those alternative inventory grids from MM6 and MM7. There should be four in total, would be nice to choose from them, as we've discussed. That should be simple enough and give a great variety of character customization. Limiting the changes to be made at the Adventurer's Inn would remove the distraction of cycling through the color schemes from everyday play :D

I know this is not quite as good as a whole new interface, but is definitely a good compromise and already nice eye candy.
Last edited by Xfing on 21 Feb 2019, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Feb 2019, 22:35

"Mekorig's Hammer" has some wrong attributes. It doesn't give +75 Might or reduce Air Resistance by 50 like it should - instead, it raises Speed and Accuracy.

Staff and Unarmed seem to work incorrectly together. I have a character with GM Staff (so it should work with Unarmed), plus Expert Unarmed and Expert Armsmaster. Adding skill to Staff and Armsmaster has the intended effects, but adding skill to Unarmed increases neither attack bonus nor damage with the staff. Maybe having Armsmaster in the equation has this result?

NPCs seem to count quest NPC's when it comes to party size, so you can't hire four of them if Charles Quixote or the Golem is around, for example. You can, however, hire four and then get as many quest NPCs as possible. I suppose it should work both ways?
Last edited by Phobos on 22 Feb 2019, 11:52, edited 4 times in total.

stcTempest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby stcTempest » 22 Feb 2019, 03:52

I just tried to install this, following the initial instructions in this thread. All seemed well, and I launched mm8. It showed the "The World Of Enroth" picture, but then it crashes. Any thoughts as to what's gone wrong?

I'm very excited to give this a go!

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 22 Feb 2019, 07:32

Phobos wrote:"Mekorig's Hammer" has some wrong attributes. It doesn't give +75 Might or reduce Air Resistance by 50 like it should - instead, it raises Speed and Accuracy.
I think all available uniques should be looked at. Many from MM6 and MM7 don't perform as advertised at all, granting either just part of the bonuses they say they grant, none of them, or completely different ones.

MagicIsMight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MagicIsMight » 22 Feb 2019, 12:07

When I did the Heart of the Woods quest in MM7, a dragonfly was attacking me on the island when I was returning the heart. When I gave the Old Tree the heart, the dragonfly became friendly, and was amazed to meet the winners of the contest, lol!

Is that intentional? it was funny in any case!

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 22 Feb 2019, 17:34

Hello. Patch link have been updated. Bolster was altered a bit, i'm thinking about extending it's tweaking possibilities via text tables. Artifacts respawn fixed, also in current version even chests with defined artifact won't generate same one, so doubles are excluded. To recount found artifacts in your current save game use debug console (ctrl+f1 to open, ctrl+enter to execute):

Code: Select all

Game.RecountFoundArtifacts()
MagicIsMight wrote:Is that intentional? it was funny in any case!
They should not have speak of course. I'll fix it.
stcTempest wrote:I just tried to install this, following the initial instructions in this thread. All seemed well, and I launched mm8. It showed the "The World Of Enroth" picture, but then it crashes. Any thoughts as to what's gone wrong?
Check if "Read only" flags are toggled off on game files and make sure you have not installed game into "Program files" folder. Try to launch game with "Windows 98/ME" compatiblity type.
Klasiant wrote: While you guys have been looking into this, have you seen if Arcomage can be modified? Like, adding cards for instance? Might be an interesting avenue further down the line.
I have not tried it. Of course it should be possible but it is not easy task.

Just a couple of other bugs have been fixed:

Code: Select all

Reported by fortego:
I get the list of all thirteen taverns, won everywhere (I excluded the tavern from the the list after i won), but can't finish the quest. (MM7)
Rodril: this one should be removed. I did not get response if problem was solved, personally I've finished that quest in my last playthrough, probably bug was fixed in previous updates.

reported by: Draco Agariz » Nov 5 2018, 12:43
Monster that should use the Ice Bolt spell are using Ice Bomb instead (I.e. Journey Mages) (I made no changes to that Monster)

reported by: Kliff » Nov 9 2018, 13:27 & Phobos » Nov 9 2018, 13:31
Kliff: I forget, was Goblinwatch and the Abandoned Temple in New Sorpigal always supposed to have a few very out-of-depth items available in chests at the end? Like, every time I've done them I've gotten about three, two from Goblinwatch and one from the Temple - this latest time I snagged a set of Siertal Chainmail from the Temple, in fact. Was this always the case in base M&M6?
Phobos: The items at the very end are meant to be of good quality, as a reward. I don't know what item level they are meant to be though.
Templayer: Might be an actual bug, but maybe it isn't. A check might be in order.

Reported by: Kliff » Jan 10 2019, 14:17
We've got dwarves, but we seem to be missing their voice files! They're using the four Knight voice files at the moment.

Reported by: lightbringer23 » Feb 2 2019, 19:58
I've noticed another oddity. I'm wrapping up Jadame (after starting on Enroth for 15 levels, and jotting over to Antagarich for Unarmed and Dodge training). I altered mapstats.txt to cause all maps except the dragon caves to respawn every 6 months -- except ones that are set to not respawn, etc.
I'm finding that chests in Jadame that once gave a guaranteed artifact now do not grant an artifact. I open every chest repeatedly until nothing else appears, ala Greyface fixchests. I have not yet collected every MM8 artifact. In my most recent round of resets, I did receive artifacts from the hidden chests in Alvar and Ravenshore. Immediately following, I opened the hidden chest in Ironsand and the standard chest in the Lava Tunnel. No artifacts in either -- let alone the 2 that are supposed to be in the Lava Tunnel chest. I also found none in the Ravage Roaming crate in the Ogre Fortress outside.
I am also currently save scumming a Ruby Dragon in Ravage Roaming (Echo's maps). Oddly, I am receiving exclusively MM6 artifacts from it (artifacts being found at the normal rate). I did not expect to see MM6 artifacts until I had exhausted the supply of both MM8 and MM7 artifacts. I have not altered Monsters.txt. Rnditems.txt shows a 1 for T6 for all MM6, 7, and 8 artifacts that are in the merge. I received 4 or 5 MM6 artifacts from this Ruby Dragon, while no MM7 or 8, so it doesn't seem to be RNG oddities.
Do I not understand how the artifact award system works? Is it tied to the continent, or is it sequential? Have I somehow encountered a MM8 cap? I have not yet installed the newest patch, so please tell me if something in it addresses this. If so, I'll update (I'm slow to do so to preserve my own alterations)
Edit: Oddly, I just received a MM6 Blaster Rifle from the Ruby Dragon :O
Edit2: Ok, so I just received an MM7 artifact from that Ruby Dragon. Maybe it is just RNG -- though a 6or7 to 1 ratio seems odd. Them's the dice, I guess. Still don't know what's happening to those chests …
Xfing: Yeah, I've also noticed something of a bias in regards to MM6 artifacts dropping more readily once you've found your share of MM7 and MM8 artifacts. I also have no idea what determines this. But as long as you can find every single unique item in the game, I'm happy I guess? I would only prefer that there be some sort of flag that once you possess one copy of the item, it can never spawn again. Of course if you sold it or threw it into the water thereby removing its instance from the game, it could start appearing again, after some time flag was passed (6 months for example). I wonder if something like that would be codable, it would be really fun to have it like this.
lightbringer23: I can confirm it's just RNG -- Except for the chests with guaranteed artifacts. Those are still misbehaving. At this point in my game, I'm not worried about it, as I've just about exhausted the MM8 artifacts from going Dragon hunting and clearing Escaton's Crystal. The chest behavior is odd, though. I did find a Noblebone Bow in a chest in Yaardrake's Cave, but I think that was specifically placed.
Currently, T6 artifact drops are favoring the few remaining MM8 artifacts I had left. Previous to that, they heavily favored MM7 artifacts. Significant statistical clustering, but completely doable.

Reported by: Xfing » Feb 16 2019, 18:20
Found another bug by accident now. The Elven Chainmail (the already identified artifact chainmail from MM7) does not grant its stat or recovery bonuses like it says.
Also, not sure if I've mentioned this - but the random weather effects interfere with the permanent snow in the Frozen Highlands. - it's never snowing there permanently, even before the quest is solved. After that some intermittent snow should be OK of course.
Both Balthazar Lair and Shadowspire can now train characters regardless of level. In previous games only one training hall could do that - the hardest one to reach. I suggest that Shadowspire be brought back down to 200 and only Balthazar Lair's trainer can train you above that level.

Return to “Might and Magic”