Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Milky1988 » 09 Jan 2019, 17:02

Actually, the music in MM6 is different than in the original game for me also.

Not sure why.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 09 Jan 2019, 17:36

I renamed 49.mp3 to 50.mp3 and old 50.mp3 into new 49.mp3. (49 was music that actually played in Temple of Baa and 50 was music that should have been played). Now music - at least in Templa of Baa - plays correctly. I am not sure about all other places as I do not remember all of them by place - 20 years, after all...

Another issue - All music files play once and do not play in cycle. I seem to see somewhere that it is because files are .mp3. There are no such problems with .wav files. I wonder - if I encode all the music as .wav, will the game look up correct music files by name or not?..

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Jan 2019, 19:14

Milky1988 wrote:Still getting the strange sound bugs upon entering stores, the title screen and using spells etc.

Here's some of my laptop's specs;
Other OS Description Not Available
BaseBoard Model Not Available
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Well, those audio files you mentioned are in a different format I believe (wav?).
Also could you try doing that again, but this time with elevated privileges? As an administrator?
cuthalion wrote:@Templayer thank you for reply on character creation.

Another issue I noticed: When I entered Temple of Baa (MM6 part), sound track there was different from classic MM6 version - my favourite Temple of Baa sound track. I looked through subfolder music/ and the track was there among other .mp3 tracks.

Question: Is it a known issue? And is there a simple solution? Like, renaming 2 files? I think renaming music files may cause other locations to get incorrect background music, and I wonder if this is something that should be fixed in 'code'? Like, assigning correct sound track file to correct location?

Thank you.
Of course it can be fixed in a code. As I have written Rodril actually added new locations to the mod an such. I presume the track that plays is set in the code (which Rodril can change), unless he actually put it forward into a .txt table in which anybody could set it up. Also renaming music files is a really bad solution, since that will screw things for sure, and probably will be quite screwy once Rodril releases a patch that fixes which song plays where. (since that patch surely won't check if somebody renamed the files just to rename them back... unless he does that). Added to the bug tracker.
cuthalion wrote:Another issue - All music files play once and do not play in cycle. I seem to see somewhere that it is because files are .mp3. There are no such problems with .wav files. I wonder - if I encode all the music as .wav, will the game look up correct music files by name or not?..
Inside the game folder, there is a mm8.ini. Open it in notepad. Try fiddling with the settings there first. The "MusicLoopsCount=" should be especially important. Tell me further if music isn't looping after changing that, and I will add that to the bug tracker as well.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Kliff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kliff » 10 Jan 2019, 14:17

We've got dwarves, but we seem to be missing their voice files! They're using the four Knight voice files at the moment.

Also, for Templayer, the character unlocker does need updating now that dwarves have been added.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 10 Jan 2019, 21:11

Kliff wrote:We've got dwarves, but we seem to be missing their voice files! They're using the four Knight voice files at the moment.

Also, for Templayer, the character unlocker does need updating now that dwarves have been added.
Crap.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 11 Jan 2019, 17:58

Could someone send me the latest Character selection.txt from \Data\Tables ? I'm too lazy to update (since I'm not playing the game yet and won't be for a few years due to time constraints)
If someone does, I will update my Unlocker so that it works with the latest version.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 11 Jan 2019, 19:10

Three bugs to report are in my mind now:
1) Playing with these settings did not help to start music cycle:
PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=10
Still, all .mp3 files I have in /music are played only once per area (load game helps to restart but...)

2) Music themes in MM6 are not in order. Here I am not of much help as I do not remember all the correct theme-area bundles. But as I mentioned above, Temple of Baa plays file 49.mp3 though correct music is 50.mp3

3) Quite often, when I enter a room in a Cavern or Keep, a bunch of monsters stare at me but do not attack even though the distance is definitely close. I stare at them.
Then I shoot one, he starts advancing, I kill him. Then I shoot second etc. It was especially notable in Silverhelm Outpost (Mist) and Dragoons Keep (Free Haven), where a bunch of veterans become easy prey despite being deadly for my level.

Thank you.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 12 Jan 2019, 10:56

One more thing - a possible bug. At Dragonsand Oasis, some of the weapon types never appear in exchange for a pyramid: I made like 1000 test trades and never saw a 2handed axe or sword. Single handed weapons of all types come in plenty (including spears and halberds). I even got a pistol a couple of times but never a 2handed waepon. I wonder why. My minotaur misses a good axe badly.

Addon: Never a good staff for my mage either. Seems like 2handed-only weapons are ignored in algorithm.
Last edited by cuthalion on 12 Jan 2019, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 12 Jan 2019, 14:54

cuthalion wrote:Three bugs to report are in my mind now:
PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=10
Still, all .mp3 files I have in /music are played only once per area (load game helps to restart but...)

2) Music themes in MM6 are not in order. Here I am not of much help as I do not remember all the correct theme-area bundles. But as I mentioned above, Temple of Baa plays file 49.mp3 though correct music is 50.mp3

3) Quite often, when I enter a room in a Cavern or Keep, a bunch of monsters stare at me but do not attack even though the distance is definitely close. I stare at them.
Then I shoot one, he starts advancing, I kill him. Then I shoot second etc. It was especially notable in Silverhelm Outpost (Mist) and Dragoons Keep (Free Haven), where a bunch of veterans become easy prey despite being deadly for my level.

Thank you.
I will add the music not looping into the bug tracker. However that does happen to me for all the games in vanilla with GrayFace's patch (no matter if MP3 or RedBook music is used). But it might be time to solve that (if GrayFace is willing).

Added the wrong MM6 music order to the bug tracker.

After opening rooms and such - enemy behavior - Added to the bug tracker. This has been reported before, and Rodril didn't know if he should fix it or not, since it is a vanilla bug. But recently I have played MM6 (vanilla, no mods) and there it works a different way for me - the enemies behind the opened door stare at me for a second or two, and then they all attack. I believe that should be the correct way to fix it and it should be fixed (i.e. turn what you are experiencing in Merge to what I am experiencing in MM6). It's quite hilarious sometimes. "SURPRISE!"
cuthalion wrote:One more thing - a possible bug. At Dragonsand Oasis, some of the weapon types never appear in exchange for a pyramid: I made like 1000 test trades and never saw a 2handed axe or sword. Single handed weapons of all types come in plenty (including spears and halberds). I even got a pistol a couple of times but never a 2handed waepon. I wonder why. My minotaur misses a good axe badly.

Addon: Never a good staff for my mage either. Seems like 2handed-only weapons are ignored in algorithm.
Added to the bug tracker. This was reported too, but for ORES (i.e. crafting NPCs in MM8). Also you probably shouldn't have gotten a pistol out of that! :D

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 13 Jan 2019, 10:44

It would be great to add to MM Merge all the videos that NWC didn't add to the game.
http://mm6world.ru/galery/r_pag/r_041.htm

I made a video of the house from a single frame, the sound can be added. Is it a good idea?
https://yadi.sk/d/70Vlnt5C6CT0XQ

Tergand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tergand » 13 Jan 2019, 14:50

First of all, great job. All the quests work fine, the adjustable difficulty is awesome and I'm having great fun replaying the games as one big party. The fact that Lloyd works between the world is amazing!

However, at the end of M&M 7, I couldn't equip Wetsuit on Cauri, so I had to dismiss her. I didn't find her in the heroes inn on Jadame, and I don't know if there are such taverns on Antagarich. Has anyone found any? Would really like to get Cauri back :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2019, 15:29

Tergand wrote:First of all, great job. All the quests work fine, the adjustable difficulty is awesome and I'm having great fun replaying the games as one big party. The fact that Lloyd works between the world is amazing!

However, at the end of M&M 7, I couldn't equip Wetsuit on Cauri, so I had to dismiss her. I didn't find her in the heroes inn on Jadame, and I don't know if there are such taverns on Antagarich. Has anyone found any? Would really like to get Cauri back :D
As far as I know you only have to have the wetsuits in your inventory - equipping them is no longer necessary. Did you look in the training centers? I do not remember where they go in the other continents.

Tergand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tergand » 13 Jan 2019, 17:01

Templayer wrote:As far as I know you only have to have the wetsuits in your inventory - equipping them is no longer necessary. Did you look in the training centers? I do not remember where they go in the other continents.
Yeah, checked a bunch of training centers - she is not there. I remember I found an inn somewhere on Enroth, so non-Jadame hero inns do exist.

Okay, so the Enroth one is in Free Haven, here's exactly where: https://i.imgur.com/rw4Al4F.png

This is a random house, so I guess it must be a random house on Antagarich as well. Just gotta find it.

Update: Found it! It's in the town in northern Tatalia, in a new house near the training center. She was there! The exact location: https://i.imgur.com/7pgF36a.png

It seems that when you dismiss a hero they go to an inn in the world where you dismissed them, so if you dismiss one in Antagarich you wouldn't be able to hire that particular hero in Jadame or Enroth.
Last edited by Tergand on 13 Jan 2019, 17:40, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jan 2019, 18:05

kristal wrote:It would be great to add to MM Merge all the videos that NWC didn't add to the game.
http://mm6world.ru/galery/r_pag/r_041.htm

I made a video of the house from a single frame, the sound can be added. Is it a good idea?
https://yadi.sk/d/70Vlnt5C6CT0XQ
That's awesome actually!!

This could totally be used for some houses that use generic graphics! Even the Castle one would probably find some use if you managed to convert it from a static image!

sh*t, how am I going to add animations to the tracker? :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 14 Jan 2019, 06:07

Templayer wrote: As far as I know you only have to have the wetsuits in your inventory - equipping them is no longer necessary. Did you look in the training centers? I do not remember where they go in the other continents.
They were made equippable again in one of the latest updates. They now require the leather skill to wear and benefit from it in terms of protection. Maybe Cauri didn't have the leather skill. If she did and still couldn't wear the wetsuit, it would be a bug.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Jan 2019, 15:13

PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=10
I just took a look at the very first page of this thread to download a newer version, and guess what I saw?

"9. If music does not loop, convert .mp3 files into .wav (all music files stored in "Music" folder)."

Why didn't you read the first post? It seems like literally THE FIRST thing to look at.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Jan 2019, 15:37

Templayer wrote:
PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=10
I just took a look at the very first page of this thread to download a newer version, and guess what I saw?

"9. If music does not loop, convert .mp3 files into .wav (all music files stored in "Music" folder)."

Why didn't you read the first post? It seems like literally THE FIRST thing to look at.
It's also covered in recently published Q&A with Rodril. Recommended read! ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 14 Jan 2019, 15:58

So to update the unlocker, I had to update my game.

By a mistake I have opened the game with the Merge from a previous update - worked fine.

Then I applied the patch (overwriting files) - debug window with "dofile" errors with missing global variables and such.

So I said to myself - let's do a new install. So I removed the game, put in the vanilla folder with GrayFace's patch, added the extension and editor, and then put in the main thing.

Guess what?

Code: Select all

...f Enroth\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable "TakeItemFromParty" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSNoGlobals.lua:602: in function 'dofile'
	Scripts\Core\main.lua:484: in main chunk

arguments of 'dofile':
	fname = "H:\\Might and Magic MERGE - The World of Enroth\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua"

local variables of 'dofile':
	f = nil
	err = "...f Enroth\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable \"TakeItemFromParty\" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration"

upvalues of 'dofile':
	loadfile = (function: 0x01715990)
	error = (function: builtin#19)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
I do not know what to do now, since pure install didn't help.
@Rodril, thou art my only hope!

Kliff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kliff » 14 Jan 2019, 21:19

Speaking of the music loop issue, I simply changed the MusicLoopsCount option to 0 in the .ini and it's looping perfectly.

egin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby egin » 16 Jan 2019, 06:13

Never mind got everything handled, really looking forward to playing through this.
Last edited by egin on 16 Jan 2019, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”