Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Milky1988 » 05 Jan 2019, 18:12

The MM7 interface, with those light and dark changes would be amazing. I prefer the MM7 interface over all else =)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 06 Jan 2019, 09:30

Milky1988 wrote:The MM7 interface, with those light and dark changes would be amazing. I prefer the MM7 interface over all else =)
Yeah. I believe it is imperative to the project to be able to choose the style of the interface to those of the previous games.
Everyone has a favourite one.

I won't probably do that myself, since I don't feel like it - Rodril said that those past interfaces would be hard to implement because the portraits in MM8 don't have borders and MM8 characters have a noisy green background.
So I have remedied that by ripping the circle around characters from MM6. So now somebody can adjust the interface graphics from the previous installments to the new layout of MM8.

Also I made an ornamental addon to that circle for MM6 characters and I'm willing to do the same for MM7 and MM8 characters, if someone is willing to implement the MM6 first.

Maybe GrayFace could repaint the interface graphics for MM8 layout?
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 06 Jan 2019, 11:11

Hello,

I really like this mod, because it offers the late game, since you need to clear it 3 times. I play it different builds, and so far noticed these bugs and want to make these suggestions too.

1. Find a sollution to make OBS capture game window. I see many streamers playing this mod, and they get a lot of viewers, its something fresh and what the fans wanted, but the only solution to stream it now is if you capture screen or window.
2. Make alt+tab not pause the game. This ruins stream quality, if you want to check something out, and it completely pauses the game, muting the game sounds too.
3. Missing images on characters on these items: Sun Cloak, Moon Cloak, Hermes Boots.
4. Getting an error, when equipping Supreme Plate on my knight.
5. Find a solution for a dark magic caster in MM6 or MM7. Creating a character, choosing light didnt have that possibility, had to migrate to Jadame to hire necromancer there.
6. Ores seem not to create certain type of weapons: Bows, Staves, 2H axes. If bows I understand, made of wood, but 2H axes seems like unintended bug.
7. Show more love to daggers. These type of weapons seems inferior in this version, because at very high levels your attack recovery is capped with any type of weapons, making daggers lowest damage dealing weapon. Possible solution would suggest either make overall triple damage or make 2x damage per point in skill if dual wielding daggers.
8. Remove skill caps. Now 60 is the hard cap, and even if you get beyond 60 overall, it is removed from bonus. For example if you have 50 in armsmaster and 20 bonus, you only get 10 bonus.
9. Removing skill caps would create another bug: in items with of fire, wind, water, earth, spirit, mind, body, light, dark. Change these items not to give 50% of the skill, but to give flat bonus, with removed skill cap. That is what this mod offers, very very late game, with possible levels of 200+.
10. Fix learning skill. I have tested different percentage of learning under different conditions and can confirm, that values are wrong. Killing a monster under circumstances where I should receive 350% exp, was getting somewhere in range of 240%. I have 3 instructors, which give +45 to learning, and put learning to 18 points, meaning its 18+45=63. In skill it shows bonus +45. If I put another point to learning, making it +19, skill bonus shows -19, and overall exp gained drops significantly.
11. I really like, that in this mod, maybe unintentionally, you fixed very annoying of game mechanic of hirelings, changing their professions upon save/load. I would like you to do the same with all the game shops, having them fixed items upon entry. Because right now if you save before visiting upon first entry, you can get different goods in shops.
12. This one I think is very important, very annoying game mechanic. Do the same with all the monsters, which can drop loot. My suggestion would be make monster drop loot upon their death (like reagent), but completely remove item gain upon looting the corpse (gold+item). Having this option, makes players loot supreme titans and other top tier monsters several times, until getting good loot.
13. Make potion stores sell top tier reagents. Verdant has very annoying quest, asking 3 phoenix feathers among many other stuff. Top tier reagents are not being sold in top tier potion shops. I just recently found out how amazing game alchemy is, where you can get stronger heroism effect from it.
14. Fix Clanker's Amulet. It says it gives +15 to alchemy, but it gives +30. While If I put another +19 to alchemy ring, it only gives +4. Something is definitely wrong with that item.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 06 Jan 2019, 13:51

qtish wrote:Hello,

I really like this mod, because it offers the late game, since you need to clear it 3 times. I play it different builds, and so far noticed these bugs and want to make these suggestions too.

1. Find a sollution to make OBS capture game window. I see many streamers playing this mod, and they get a lot of viewers, its something fresh and what the fans wanted, but the only solution to stream it now is if you capture screen or window.
2. Make alt+tab not pause the game. This ruins stream quality, if you want to check something out, and it completely pauses the game, muting the game sounds too.
3. Missing images on characters on these items: Sun Cloak, Moon Cloak, Hermes Boots.
4. Getting an error, when equipping Supreme Plate on my knight.
5. Find a solution for a dark magic caster in MM6 or MM7. Creating a character, choosing light didnt have that possibility, had to migrate to Jadame to hire necromancer there.
6. Ores seem not to create certain type of weapons: Bows, Staves, 2H axes. If bows I understand, made of wood, but 2H axes seems like unintended bug.
7. Show more love to daggers. These type of weapons seems inferior in this version, because at very high levels your attack recovery is capped with any type of weapons, making daggers lowest damage dealing weapon. Possible solution would suggest either make overall triple damage or make 2x damage per point in skill if dual wielding daggers.
8. Remove skill caps. Now 60 is the hard cap, and even if you get beyond 60 overall, it is removed from bonus. For example if you have 50 in armsmaster and 20 bonus, you only get 10 bonus.
9. Removing skill caps would create another bug: in items with of fire, wind, water, earth, spirit, mind, body, light, dark. Change these items not to give 50% of the skill, but to give flat bonus, with removed skill cap. That is what this mod offers, very very late game, with possible levels of 200+.
10. Fix learning skill. I have tested different percentage of learning under different conditions and can confirm, that values are wrong. Killing a monster under circumstances where I should receive 350% exp, was getting somewhere in range of 240%. I have 3 instructors, which give +45 to learning, and put learning to 18 points, meaning its 18+45=63. In skill it shows bonus +45. If I put another point to learning, making it +19, skill bonus shows -19, and overall exp gained drops significantly.
11. I really like, that in this mod, maybe unintentionally, you fixed very annoying of game mechanic of hirelings, changing their professions upon save/load. I would like you to do the same with all the game shops, having them fixed items upon entry. Because right now if you save before visiting upon first entry, you can get different goods in shops.
12. This one I think is very important, very annoying game mechanic. Do the same with all the monsters, which can drop loot. My suggestion would be make monster drop loot upon their death (like reagent), but completely remove item gain upon looting the corpse (gold+item). Having this option, makes players loot supreme titans and other top tier monsters several times, until getting good loot.
13. Make potion stores sell top tier reagents. Verdant has very annoying quest, asking 3 phoenix feathers among many other stuff. Top tier reagents are not being sold in top tier potion shops. I just recently found out how amazing game alchemy is, where you can get stronger heroism effect from it.
14. Fix Clanker's Amulet. It says it gives +15 to alchemy, but it gives +30. While If I put another +19 to alchemy ring, it only gives +4. Something is definitely wrong with that item.
1. That is not the mod's problem. OBS isn't the only streaming application in the world. Even if everyone is using it. GrayFace might help you with that, maybe.
2. And screw it up for everyone that isn't a streamer? Use a laptop to check things out, or get a better streaming pipeline. I just recently had someone call me (through a computer, not a phone) at a point where I really didn't want to close the game, but if what you are suggesting were to happen, I would have to, because otherwise I wouldn't hear the person through the game's music. But if there is a choice button for it in the options menu, then it's fine I guess. I will add it to the suggestion's tracker.
3. Most of the MM6 and MM7 armour items are missing images because they haven't been repainted for the new paperdolls. Please tell us WHERE and HOW did you get these three items, since they shouldn't be spawned until someone repaints them. I.e. we all know they do not have graphics, what we do not know is how did you get them even though they have disabled spawning.
4. Added to the bug tracker.
5. Please elaborate. Only Jadamean Necromancers can start with Dark Magic. As it is in vanilla. And I cannot see any other possibility. Except for my Character Creator Unlocker for this mod that makes all races and classes available on character creation no matter the continent and no matter the combination of race/class. You can get it here: https://www.uloz.to/!QwGJCxCS9r5w/mmmer ... thalas-rar (select the English flag and choose slow (but free) download)
6. Added to the bug tracker.
7. 2x damage per point in skill? So late game damage gets capped by the maximum integer value, right? :D (Translation: that is hilariously OverPowered)
8. Raising caps and try to find a better way to scale daggers will be added to the suggestion tracker.
9. That is how it originally worked. I presume there was a reason why it was change to a percentage-based addition.
10. Added to the bug tracker.
11. I remember something like that already being in place, that the shop inventory gets generated upon map generation instead of shop entry, but somebody didn't like it so it was reverted. Or something like that. In the 1000+ posts of this thread. The thing is that if we try to satisfy everyone, we are going to satisfy no-one. Either save-scumm or don't save-scumm, the choice is yours to make. Don't force what you would like upon people that wouldn't.
12. So you are saying for example like the gog line when killed sometimes drops blood which isn't contained in the corpse? Do that with most, except for example quest items? That sounds ... like a good suggestion actually.
13. Top tier alchemy shops should sell top tier ingredients. I will add that ... to the bug tracker, for now.
14. Added to the bug tracker.

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 06 Jan 2019, 15:24

The raising the skill cap along with the dagger change would be AMAZING.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 06 Jan 2019, 18:33

Templayer wrote:a
1. I tried many platforms, they all have same issue with older games. I had an interesting accident, while first tried streaming with pirated MM8, I was able to fix the game capture thing. But then I bought GOG version, which game capture setting still doesnt work till now. The problem lies somewhere with directX.
2. There is ESC button for that reason, while the pause is forced upon you, while you alt+tab.
3.12. Same, abuse top monsters drop. I got artifacts like Hermes, Cronos, Aphrodite and so... I even got Hands of the Master and Mordred from stalt-laced ores. I noticed that Hermes shoes got repainted into Herald shoes, which was an easy solution.
5. Yeah, that would be a balanced fix: allow Priest of Light and Archewizzard (2nd sorc promo) to learn Dark. Balance of the game would be alright, since you are given this option in the game anyway by migrating to MM8 and taking necro, is just too much of a hassle. Or another solution to option would be: when choosing light side - give an ability to do promotion to become Priest of Dark and Lich.
7. That is not overpowered. Atm I got monk with 33 Unarmed +27 Unarmed, which is giving him double damage, working with a staff, and giving 60% attack evasion, speaking of overpowered.
12. Exacly, Supreme Titan dies, an item drops near his corpse, but looting his corpse will give no item at all.
15. Dont know if intended or not, but couldnt find Armageddon spellbook in MM6, and Souldrinker Spellbook in both MM6 and MM8 guilds, only MM7 have all dark spells, didnt test same with light spells.
Last edited by qtish on 06 Jan 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 06 Jan 2019, 21:09

qtish wrote:
1. I tried many platforms, they all have same issue with older games. I had an interesting accident, while first tried streaming with pirated MM8, I was able to fix the game capture thing. But then I bought GOG version, which game capture setting still doesnt work till now. The problem lies somewhere with directX. EDIT: Also (I do not use it for MM games where a window cutout isn't needed, but) ... Bandicam can select THE INSIDE of windows (i.e. crop window borders automatically) for recording by using a Search button, and it works amazingly even on things I wouldn't think it would.
2. There is ESC button for that reason, while the pause is forced upon you, while you alt+tab.
3.12. Same, abuse top monsters drop. I got artifacts like Hermes, Cronos, Aphrodite and so... I even got Hands of the Master and Mordred from stalt-laced ores. I noticed that Hermes shoes got repainted into Herald shoes, which was an easy solution.
5. Yeah, that would be a balanced fix: allow Priest of Light and Archewizzard (2nd sorc promo) to learn Dark. Balance of the game would be alright, since you are given this option in the game anyway by migrating to MM8 and taking necro, is just too much of a hassle. Or another solution to option would be: when choosing light side - give an ability to do promotion to become Priest of Dark and Lich.
7. That is not overpowered. Atm I got monk with 33 Unarmed +27 Unarmed, which is giving him double damage, working with a staff, and giving 60% attack evasion, speaking of overpowered.
12. Exacly, Supreme Titan dies, an item drops near his corpse, but looting his corpse will give no item at all.
15. Dont know if intended or not, but couldnt find Armageddon spellbook in MM6, and Souldrinker Spellbook in both MM6 and MM8 guilds, only MM7 have all dark spells, didnt test same with light spells.
1. Actually that reminded me - Bandicam (do not mistake it for Hypercam, that piece of garbage) can capture the direcx output of MMMerge nicely. Did you try setting it to proper fullscreen, or do you just have borderless windowed mode? It can be changed with a configuration file. That might actually change the "catchyness" of the recording / broadcasting software.
2. Nah, too bothersome for me.
3. By monster dropping them? Ok, I will add that to the bug tracker.
5. Archmage should be able to learn Dark. Last time I checked. O_o
7. Yes, it is. If you double the damage per point (i.e. the way you have written it), that would be (if triple damage is triggered) baseDamage × 3 × 2^daggerSkill. Either I have read that wrong, or your suggestion probably wouldn't even fit into the maximum value range for damage at max skill! (well, it depends on what type of integer it is and if it is signed, but still).
15. Some spells are harder to reach and find in the Merge. Also some stores now do not sell some spells, so getting for example Fly is now a bit harder. Might still be some kind of a glitch, but to determine that I would need detailed info. And remember how it actually works now. xD
Last edited by Templayer on 06 Jan 2019, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 06 Jan 2019, 21:52

Hello guys,
I am new to the forum so first let me thank all who implemented and contributed to this wonderful project.
Now could someone help me with the following:
I launched the game and noticed initial party choices are limited to continent I start in. What I would like to do is start and pass MM6 using MM8 classes before I travel to MM7.
Can someone advise a character editor or link to Hex addresses and codes I need to update in savegame to change my characters' classes and probably initial skills? thank you.
I found an editor for MM8 saves but it seems to incorrectly update classes for characters.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 06 Jan 2019, 22:59

Can confirm, that you cannot purchase Fly in Alvar magic shop. After getting my necro, had to go to Free Haven to do that. Also MM7 Tularean Forest Master Air guild does not sell Fly either.
Armsmaster already gives you double bonus, on top of all other amazing bonuses for a knight. Unarmed has double bonus for a monk, while ability to master armaster to further your damage. Both dagger classes - thief and vampire, cannot learn master in armsmaster, so the only way to increase damage is through dagger skill, which can only be 60 atm. Knight 180 cause 60x2 armsmaster 60x1 spear, Monk 180, cause 60x2 unarmed 60x1 armsmaster. So equiping double daggers could give 2x damage for every point spent in dagger skill. Dagger is so bad in melee, that even GM Archery does more damage, while being conveniently range. Daggers do need more love, since they have so low damage, while recovery rate late game means nothing.
16. Suggestion to add items with Enchantment "of Power" +5 level. Never got any, despite how many titans scumsaved.
Last edited by qtish on 07 Jan 2019, 14:18, edited 3 times in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 07 Jan 2019, 05:14

Regarding #16 - You can travel to Emerald Isle from Erathia in order to progress the questline

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 07 Jan 2019, 14:12

Yeah, you are right. Entering Erathia, was approached by npc to give me letter for competition for Castle Harmondale. Boat from Erathia leaving every wednesday.
Last edited by qtish on 07 Jan 2019, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 07 Jan 2019, 17:36

cuthalion wrote:Hello guys,
I am new to the forum so first let me thank all who implemented and contributed to this wonderful project.
Now could someone help me with the following:
I launched the game and noticed initial party choices are limited to continent I start in. What I would like to do is start and pass MM6 using MM8 classes before I travel to MM7.
Can someone advise a character editor or link to Hex addresses and codes I need to update in savegame to change my characters' classes and probably initial skills? thank you.
I found an editor for MM8 saves but it seems to incorrectly update classes for characters.
DO NOT USE character editors and such! They will break this mod to smithereens!
Here's my Character Creator Unlocker for this mod that makes all races and classes available on character creation no matter the continent and no matter the combination of race/class. You can get it here: https://www.uloz.to/!QwGJCxCS9r5w/mmmer ... thalas-rar (select the English flag and choose slow (but free) download)

To "install" it, just backup your file with that name somewhere in the game's directly and replace it with mine.

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 07 Jan 2019, 18:45

Hi,

I've a problem that I hope someone can help me find a solution to.

When I enter Ravage Roaming from Garrote Gorge, the debug console pops up. When I close it, the sky is completely gone and instead, there are red signs everywhere. When I attempt to engage in combat, the debug console continue to appear.

I've no idea what the prob is...

Any ideas? o.o

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 07 Jan 2019, 21:20

Milky1988 wrote:Hi,

I've a problem that I hope someone can help me find a solution to.

When I enter Ravage Roaming from Garrote Gorge, the debug console pops up. When I close it, the sky is completely gone and instead, there are red signs everywhere. When I attempt to engage in combat, the debug console continue to appear.

I've no idea what the prob is...

Any ideas? o.o
Yes, the game is glitching up. Remember, Rodril wrote this thing, including new code and new scripts. At this point, GrayFace and Rodril can code pretty much anything they want into the game.

If you would be so kind as to copy and paste the debug error that it shows (that is pretty much the reason why the debug console pops up - so that you could copy paste what happened into this thread...), and I will ten put it into the Bug Tracker. If you can reproduce it, that is. :-S :D

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 07 Jan 2019, 22:38

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...laxy\Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\Weather.lua:145: attempt to compare number with nil

stack traceback:
...laxy\Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\Weather.lua: in function 'SetWeatherEffect'
...laxy\Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\Weather.lua:201: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

local variables of 'SetWeatherEffect':
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 3
(*temporary) = 1.2449765734327e-285
(*temporary) = "attempt to compare number with nil"

upvalues of 'SetWeatherEffect':
CurrentEffect = 0
WeatherState = nil
----------------------------------------------------------------
>

That's the code that pops up!

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 08 Jan 2019, 15:08

I re-installed the latest update and, voila, everything works!

Apologies for the earlier post, it can be ignored.

Thanks.

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 08 Jan 2019, 17:37

Ah, another prob... The sfx crack and break/sound fuzzy when I enter shops/ cast town portal etc.

Also, the title music crackles and breaks. No idea what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jan 2019, 19:29

Milky1988 wrote:Ah, another prob... The sfx crack and break/sound fuzzy when I enter shops/ cast town portal etc.

Also, the title music crackles and breaks. No idea what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Um, a dying computer? :D
This is beyond me. Added to the bug tracker. Also in this rather rare case we might actually have an use for the information about your computer, operating system and such. Just maybe, though. O_o

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 08 Jan 2019, 22:08

Still getting the strange sound bugs upon entering stores, the title screen and using spells etc.

Here's some of my laptop's specs;

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-56I7RIJR
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire A715-71G
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0000000000000000
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2496 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.11, 09/11/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 1.11
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer KBL
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

I'm stumped!

Cheers.

cuthalion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cuthalion » 09 Jan 2019, 09:49

@Templayer thank you for reply on character creation.

Another issue I noticed: When I entered Temple of Baa (MM6 part), sound track there was different from classic MM6 version - my favourite Temple of Baa sound track. I looked through subfolder music/ and the track was there among other .mp3 tracks.

Question: Is it a known issue? And is there a simple solution? Like, renaming 2 files? I think renaming music files may cause other locations to get incorrect background music, and I wonder if this is something that should be fixed in 'code'? Like, assigning correct sound track file to correct location?

Thank you.

Return to “Might and Magic”