Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Aug 2018
Location: Russia/Lipetsk

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby alexseevdenis » Oct 14 2018, 8:02

Yandex translation:

can I implement a version system and display the current version in the game menu ? even if only by the date of the update.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 14 2018, 8:20

Skjurru wrote:First: I am currently playing through the merge for the first time, and it's AMAZING. Can't stress it enough. Kudos, Rodril.

Second: I would like to contribute. I've got zero skill in coding or texturing (I'm pretty sure they are prohibited skills for my race/class combo), but I'm pretty good at writing. Been doing it for a living for a while now.

So, is there any writing that needs to be done for new content? At the very least, the English on the random NPCs sometimes found in taverns and training halls is pretty broken – I could help fix that (Verdant's quest line is very nicely written, though!). I can do English and/or Russian, as required.


Well there is something happening with the Russian localization if you read the posts above.

Anyway for the English language - tell us any typos, and hopefully it will get to Rodril.
Or, if you wish and have the time for it ... with Rodril's mod, the game's folder now contains quite a few .txt files, from which the game now reads. There is a .txt file that contains all the dialogue from the game (at least I think it is a singular file). You could go through it and report typos / what you wish to change into what.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Skjurru » Oct 14 2018, 12:41

Templayer wrote:Or, if you wish and have the time for it ... with Rodril's mod, the game's folder now contains quite a few .txt files, from which the game now reads. There is a .txt file that contains all the dialogue from the game (at least I think it is a singular file). You could go through it and report typos / what you wish to change into what.


Cool. So what jumped at me the most was:

NPCText 1676
Become %s.

should be
Become a %s

(Without the full stop. None of the other dialogue options have one.)

NPCText 1677
Yes, I'm person which you have to look for. Are you surely want to step on the path of %s?

should be
Yes, I'm the person you're looking for if you want to step on the path of %s? Are you sure that is what you wish?


NPCText 1679
Your kind can not become %s. Sorry.

should be
One of your kind cannot become a %s. Sorry.


NPCText 1680
Good day. I am %s, %s %s, and i looking for both company and opportunity to have adventures and fame, would you let me to join you?

should be
Good day. I am %s, a %s %s, and I'm looking for both company and opportunity to have adventures and fame, would you let me to join you?

(Ideally, this should be 5 different lines, one for every level of the adventurer's skill. Makes sense that an 'apprentice', for example, is eager to learn, while a 'masterful' or 'great' adventurer is more interested in loot and fame. I've got no idea how to implement that, though.)

NPCText 1681
I cannot travel with you, your party is too full.

should be
I cannot travel with you, your party is full.

'too' is redundant

NPCText 1682
apprentice,skilled,well known,masterful,great

I suggest changing 'apprentice' to 'novice' or 'fledgling' for the simple reason of not having your eye snag on "I am a apprentice".

NPCText 1683
Noone will have deals with such murderer as you. Go and pray for your sins!

should be
No-one will have dealings with murderers such as you. Go and pray for forgiveness of your sins!
Last edited by Skjurru on Oct 14 2018, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 14 2018, 16:16

Skjurru wrote:
Templayer wrote:Or, if you wish and have the time for it ... with Rodril's mod, the game's folder now contains quite a few .txt files, from which the game now reads. There is a .txt file that contains all the dialogue from the game (at least I think it is a singular file). You could go through it and report typos / what you wish to change into what.


Cool. So what jumped at me the most was:

*alot of changes*

I agree with almost all of them, and if I could I would select "novice" out of the options given for that one thing, but that is on Rodril.

The only thing that sound bad in my mind is "Go and pray for forgiveness of your sins!" - that just sounds wrong to me. Unfortunately I'm Czech and my skill in English is rather passive, so I do not know why. :D

EDIT: Added to the task tracker as a "TYPO TRACKER". Check the link in my signature, if you wish.
Last edited by Templayer on Oct 14 2018, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Skjurru » Oct 14 2018, 17:27

The only thing that sound bad in my mind is "Go and pray for forgiveness of your sins!" - that just sounds wrong to me. Unfortunately I'm Czech and my skill in English is rather passive, so I do not know why. :D


It's a minor thing. When you pray for something, you are asking for that something.

Also, I found those phrases in LocalizeTables.txt – I'm not sure that's all of them. Hirelings (the ones that take part of your gold for services, not the peasants you can add to the party) seem to have a slightly different line for "your party is full," and I can't seem to find that one. And that's probably not the only one. Where's all the Verdant dialogue, for example? It probably doesn't need fixing, I'd just like to proofread it again for typos and such.
Last edited by Skjurru on Oct 14 2018, 17:44, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 14 2018, 19:50

Skjurru wrote:
The only thing that sound bad in my mind is "Go and pray for forgiveness of your sins!" - that just sounds wrong to me. Unfortunately I'm Czech and my skill in English is rather passive, so I do not know why. :D


It's a minor thing. When you pray for something, you are asking for that something.

The "...of your sins" part sounds wrong to me. I do not know why or what is the correct way (well, if it was without the for forgiveness, I would have said pray for your sins, with the the for forgiveness part, I am not sure) to use that however. Bah!
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Skjurru » Oct 14 2018, 22:03

Templayer wrote:The "...of your sins" part sounds wrong to me. I do not know why or what is the correct way (well, if it was without the for forgiveness, I would have said pray for your sins, with the the for forgiveness part, I am not sure) to use that however. Bah!


Yeah, that's a bit church-speak, it's not wrong, but it can be counter-intuitive. Maybe change it to 'go and repent your sins', for example.

User avatar
Vetrinus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Feb 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Vetrinus » Oct 14 2018, 23:16

Found this funny little thing that happens now:
Instead of the usual "You feel a high magical presence" message that appears at the intercontinental teleportation points, I am now getting "This is an unregistered copy of Might and Magic VIII. Please" :P

User avatar
Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Skjurru » Oct 15 2018, 1:29

Vetrinus wrote:Found this funny little thing that happens now:
Instead of the usual "You feel a high magical presence" message that appears at the intercontinental teleportation points, I am now getting "This is an unregistered copy of Might and Magic VIII. Please" :P

Oh so THAT's what that was! A teleportation point!

Templayer wrote:if I could I would select "novice" out of the options given for that one thing

Also 'beginner' or 'neophyte'. Anything that starts with a consonant. 'Beginner' and 'novice' probably the most appropriate.

Also also, has anybody thought of re-texturing Glomenthal and Elsenrail? They originals both look like turds, only the creature that excreted Elsenrail ate a lot of chalk before that. Wouldn't hurt in the least to replace them with images of default high-level swords, maybe a little re-coloured. Or am I the only one who hates them so much?
Last edited by Skjurru on Oct 15 2018, 1:29, edited 1 time in total.

KevinGelking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby KevinGelking » Oct 15 2018, 7:03

Heya,

first off: great work on the merge :) MM6 is my most favourite game and I never played MM8 until now, so being able to play all 3 in one game makes for a nice, consistent experience.

However, am I right in assuming that Master + Great Master level elemental spells cannot be purchased in any Elemental Guild throughout MM8?
I've spent 2 hours reloading the >>> Elemental Guild in Alvar (MM8) trying to get a Fly spell <<<, but I've only gotten Implosion and Invisibility.

The same seems to apply for Starburst and Lloyds Beacon.
Am I missing something or are the most useful spells in the game really not obtainable in the merged version? :(
Last edited by KevinGelking on Oct 15 2018, 7:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 15 2018, 8:48

Skjurru wrote:
Templayer wrote:The "...of your sins" part sounds wrong to me. I do not know why or what is the correct way (well, if it was without the for forgiveness, I would have said pray for your sins, with the the for forgiveness part, I am not sure) to use that however. Bah!


Yeah, that's a bit church-speak, it's not wrong, but it can be counter-intuitive. Maybe change it to 'go and repent your sins', for example.

Noted in the TASK TRACKER

alexseevdenis wrote:Yandex translation:

can I implement a version system and display the current version in the game menu ? even if only by the date of the update.

Noted in the TASK TRACKER as a suggestion

Vetrinus wrote:Found this funny little thing that happens now:
Instead of the usual "You feel a high magical presence" message that appears at the intercontinental teleportation points, I am now getting "This is an unregistered copy of Might and Magic VIII. Please" :P

Added to the BUG TRACKER. Hilarious, though. :D

Skjurru wrote:Also also, has anybody thought of re-texturing Glomenthal and Elsenrail? They originals both look like turds, only the creature that excreted Elsenrail ate a lot of chalk before that. Wouldn't hurt in the least to replace them with images of default high-level swords, maybe a little re-coloured. Or am I the only one who hates them so much?

Nah. Yeah, they do look a bit silly (as quite a few things in MM8), but having them have a copypasted look of some high-level swords? Even if recolored - that is even more silly and crappy. Unique graphics FTW!

KevinGelking wrote:However, am I right in assuming that Master + Great Master level elemental spells cannot be purchased in any Elemental Guild throughout MM8?
I've spent 2 hours reloading the >>> Elemental Guild in Alvar (MM8) trying to get a Fly spell <<<, but I've only gotten Implosion and Invisibility.
The same seems to apply for Starburst and Lloyds Beacon.
Am I missing something or are the most useful spells in the game really not obtainable in the merged version? :(

Postponed adding this to the BUG TRACKER until Rodril or someone else responds to this. In a case of you simply being unlucky or it being an actual feature. :)
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Skjurru » Oct 15 2018, 9:26

KevinGelking wrote:However, am I right in assuming that Master + Great Master level elemental spells cannot be purchased in any Elemental Guild throughout MM8?
I've spent 2 hours reloading the >>> Elemental Guild in Alvar (MM8) trying to get a Fly spell <<<, but I've only gotten Implosion and Invisibility.

I believe grandmaster spells are in the guild on Regna. All master spells spawn in Alvar – it's just your luck.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1325
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 15 2018, 10:50

Skjurru wrote:
KevinGelking wrote:However, am I right in assuming that Master + Great Master level elemental spells cannot be purchased in any Elemental Guild throughout MM8?
I've spent 2 hours reloading the >>> Elemental Guild in Alvar (MM8) trying to get a Fly spell <<<, but I've only gotten Implosion and Invisibility.

I believe grandmaster spells are in the guild on Regna. All master spells spawn in Alvar – it's just your luck.

Oh, yeah! That shop which isn't enabled in vanilla MM8 due to an overlook! Now it makes sense. :)
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

KevinGelking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby KevinGelking » Oct 15 2018, 11:22

Skjurru wrote:I believe grandmaster spells are in the guild on Regna. All master spells spawn in Alvar – it's just your luck.


Are you sure? In Alvar I've had roughly 600 master air spells on the shelf by now (even lucky strikes with 7 / 10 master spells in the selection). I have not found 'Fly' a single time, are you positive that it can be purchased there?
Someone else in this thread mentioned that it's impossible to find Fly in MM8 (other than the dragon ability) and that it'll never appear in Alvar.

Could you confirm whether the spellbook can actually spawn?
Last edited by KevinGelking on Oct 15 2018, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 769
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 15 2018, 13:04

The regnan guild does have GM spells. The only ones you need to actually find are the Light and Dark GM spells.

KevinGelking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby KevinGelking » Oct 15 2018, 13:11

I found the Fly spell by chance in an artifact store (in Baltazhar's). The spellbook looked different than all other spellbooks I've seen sold in guilds (including GM spells), so I assume that the Fly spell doesn't exist for MM8 and I was just lucky to find a MM7 one in the artifact store.

Anyway, would be sweet if that important spell were purchaseable at the guild in Alvar :) I wrote a macro for quick reloading and still spent 5 hours for nothing in front of that **** elemental guild.

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 769
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 15 2018, 16:38

KevinGelking wrote:I found the Fly spell by chance in an artifact store (in Baltazhar's). The spellbook looked different than all other spellbooks I've seen sold in guilds (including GM spells), so I assume that the Fly spell doesn't exist for MM8 and I was just lucky to find a MM7 one in the artifact store.

Anyway, would be sweet if that important spell were purchaseable at the guild in Alvar :) I wrote a macro for quick reloading and still spent 5 hours for nothing in front of that **** elemental guild.


Fly does exist in MM8 alright. The magic schools in MM8 are the same as they were in MM7, except the spell Sacrifice is replaced with Dark Grasp.

User avatar
Phobos
Demon
Demon
Posts: 319
Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Location: Finland

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Phobos » Oct 15 2018, 18:15

The last master level spell always seems to be excluded from non-GM guilds in this mod. I think it was intended that way.

User avatar
Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Skjurru » Oct 15 2018, 21:29

KevinGelking wrote:Are you sure? In Alvar I've had roughly 600 master air spells on the shelf by now (even lucky strikes with 7 / 10 master spells in the selection). I have not found 'Fly' a single time, are you positive that it can be purchased there?

Now that you're asking, I begin to question my memory. I remember filling the spellbooks of three Dark Elf Patriarchs (they are essentially MM6/7 Archers and can only get mastery in elemental magic) entirely from the Alvar guild, including Fly – but can I trust my recollections?.. Can I be certain where real memory ends and convenient fiction begins? Can I tell beyond the shadow of a doubt that what I remember happening is what truly did happen?..

In other words, I withdraw my earlier statement. I'm not so sure anymore. I definitely did buy Town Portal, Enchant Item, Telekinesis, Rock Blast, Inferno, Meteor Shower, Implosion and Invisibility there. Fly might have been on Regna. I don't think I've used the rest of the master elemental spells in this playthrough once, although there they are in my spellbooks – but for the life of me I can't remember where I got them.
Last edited by Skjurru on Oct 15 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Marko90
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Marko90 » Oct 16 2018, 3:00

fortego wrote:Does arcomage quest work in MM7? I get the list of all thirteen taverns, won everywhere (I excluded the tavern from the the list after i won), but can't finish the quest.


Hi mate, yes arcomage does work. There's a person in Erathia that gives it to you


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests