Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
pavel.stumpa.prace
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby pavel.stumpa.prace » 28 Nov 2022, 23:15

pavel.stumpa.prace wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:08
pavel.stumpa.prace wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 23:13 Hello,

at first let me thank you for this mod. I've always wanted to have something like this. Especially MM8 is the game that I always come back to.

Anyway..

01/
I am having an issue with spells. I have finished MM8 storyline and during the gameplay, I was not able to buy GM spells for any magic.. Generally, nowhere. Not even with save/load method. The spells are not in magic shops Air/Fire/Earth/Water but only in shops with gems, scrolls, gloves etc. AND only a few GM ones, still repeating, like Lloyd's Beacon, Incinerate, Enslave..
Edit If there is no fix etc., please how can I modify it so it can appear in shops 100% percent? Is there a way?

02/
Sometimes when I enter a location Stone City, the game crashes. Next load is just fine. Not a big issue, but still..

03/
Is there any article with new features that Merge6-7-8 offers? How to use new items, game mechanics etc.?

04/
Any idea how to make it possible to respec skill points? I used cheat engine [downloaded from this thread.. a few pages back]. 1 lvl minus, skill points plus. Just simple math. Any other in-game way?

05/
What is the best way to lvl up? And speaking of devil, what is the lvl cap in general? Edit.: For instance.. Can I somehow add number of creatures to the map? Let's say.. Add big amount [40 pcs etc.] of ruby crystal dragons to Regna or to any Dragon Cave so it doesnt mess up with other NPCs?

Many thanks for the answers and have a blessed day!

:)
bump :S
EDIT: 06/ I am adding one more question about hireable NPCs. Through the whole world.. I am not having any luck with finding PRELATE NPC [+4 Body, Mind and Spirit Magic.]. I have reloaded like 80 times and spend 2 in-game years only by trying to find PRELATE one. Pathfinder, Piper, Psychic, Porter.. Everything spawned.. But not my desired one.. It's frustrating.. Any way how to make it spawned? Even the forced way?
=> After a deeper research I've figured out that Spell Master gives bonus to all magic schools hence there is no need for PRELATE to spawn.. Maybe? Anyway.. I have 4 Spell Master now, so no need to solve this anymore.

Thanks to any good soul that will answer my questions..

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 30 Nov 2022, 00:11

hi guys,
When casting magic Shield or Heroism , both of icons of magic indicator in active party spells area(left-bottom) will not be displayed, right clicking active party spells area, show "None". This phenomenon does not affect the operation of the game, do you have an Idea about it?

veselykralicek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby veselykralicek » 02 Dec 2022, 09:45

Hello friends,

Thank you very much for your great job with Merge Mod.

But I have very big request to you (sorry for my bad English). Maybe I am the only one player in the world, but the main benefit of Merge Mod was for me a totaly full journal. In Merge Mod I expected all the awards, bonuses, obelisks, wells and fountains, just everything in one big encyclopedy. And full list of Awards completed from all three games (MM6, MM7 and MM8). But after completing first three maps from MM8 (Dagger Islands, Ravenshore and Alvar) and Emerald Island from MM7 and completing absolutely all the quests in these regions, I have only 3 completing quests in Awards (Finding missing persons on Emerald Island, Stopping Yellow Fever and Finding Rothnax), 5 Arcomage Wins and Collecting 4.500 in Bounties.

There are some completing quests in Journal - Miscellaneous (Finding Power Stone for Frederick Talimere, Killing all the Ogres in Alvar and Arcomage Wins in concrete pubs, Guild memberships)

But most of the completing quests is not recorded at all. The Seer advices from MM8 are not recorded in Journal too, unfortunately.

So, could you fix it, as it was in originally game, please? I want to have all the completed quests in my Awards screen, it's the main reason to play Merge Mod for me. I like to look at full list of my awards, my completed quests. I know - Winning Arcomage in concrete pubs or Guild Memberships are OK in Journal - Miscellaneous, I think, it is good idea from you. Because it's not so important for conrete Arcomage Wins or Guild Memberships to be in Awards, but all completed main and side quests definitely yes. As it was in originally MM8.

So, could you fix Awards screen for completed quests, please?

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 03 Dec 2022, 08:56

I found a intersting things, dragon can't wear a wetsuit in MM7 :), so dragons needs to be removed from team when the MM7 final quest comes. Does anyone has other good suggestion about it ?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 04 Dec 2022, 00:41

cthscr wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 19:11
Xfing wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 21:46 Friendly quarterly reminder that the White Potion of Protection from Magic casts the spell on the entire party even when one person drinks it. I would therefore once again like to propose to change this potion to the only other spell effect I could think of that can affect a single character - Pain Reflection. It feels like a break in immersion and suspension of disbelief that a potion can affect the entire party, since all potions have only ever affected the drinker. It's kinda like the "Water Breathing" effect is separate for the potion, instead of casting the Water Walk spell - which once again, affects the entire party. So there could be an alternative like this, but it would require coding in a separate, equivalent effect for Protection from Magic, but one only affecting the drinker.
You haven't thought it fully. Potion provides buff of skill GM 10. That makes Cleric/Druid not your only option of getting protection from Death/Eradication. And you can't easily add brand new player-scope SpellBuffs - there's no space for them. Read Scripts/Core/ConstAndBits.lua for a list (const.PlayerBuff).
Sorry, I just assumed Pain Reflection would work on a single char because it does at expert level. But since the Protection from Magic potion was my idea in the first place, I feel responsible for pointing out the problem with it that I didn't consider before (it affecting the entire party). I realize it's not easy to add new spell effects - that's probably why "Water Breathing" is separate from "Water Walk" - but are there really no remaining spell effects that could be used for that white potion that only affect the drinker? I can see there's Regeneration for instance, but given how easy to get it is in the Merge, that would probably not be such a spectacular effect. Vampire Levitation and Mistform as well as Dark elf Glamour could apparently be reproduced with a potion as well, which does sound kinda fun. Levitation is like a more versatile version of Water Walk, so I feel it could be a decent idea for a white potion buff.

Orlock
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Orlock » 05 Dec 2022, 12:42

I have been watching this mod for a long time, it's cool that it develops, new features, animations are added, there is activity on the forum. But personally, it always hurt my eyes how leather jackets look on female models. Here is my version.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Orlock on 02 Jul 2023, 15:12, edited 4 times in total.

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 07 Dec 2022, 05:24

cthscr wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 09:27
Nirran wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 23:14 And Once ive rescripted them,i have to recompile?or can mmext read them from maps folders?
MMExtension Ref: "Note: You can't turn a decompiled script back into EVT file, even if it's in text form. In case you do need to edit raw EVT files, you can use my 010Editor Templates."
But that won't help you much because you've started with the wrong question. Barrels and Cauldrons events aren't in map evt files. In Merge look at Scripts/Structs/After/GlobalEventsNewHandler.lua
Thnx Dude,got it working

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Dec 2022, 09:50

toadking wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 00:11 When casting magic Shield or Heroism , both of icons of magic indicator in active party spells area(left-bottom) will not be displayed, right clicking active party spells area, show "None". This phenomenon does not affect the operation of the game, do you have an Idea about it?
In Revamp they (and Haste, and Stone Skin) are player-based buffs like Bless. Also single-player-targeted on Normal.
toadking wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 08:56 I found a intersting things, dragon can't wear a wetsuit in MM7 :), so dragons needs to be removed from team when the MM7 final quest comes. Does anyone has other good suggestion about it ?
Having wetsuit in inventory should help.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Dec 2022, 10:30

pavel.stumpa.prace wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 23:15 01/
I am having an issue with spells. I have finished MM8 storyline and during the gameplay, I was not able to buy GM spells for any magic.. Generally, nowhere. Not even with save/load method. The spells are not in magic shops Air/Fire/Earth/Water but only in shops with gems, scrolls, gloves etc. AND only a few GM ones, still repeating, like Lloyd's Beacon, Incinerate, Enslave..
Edit If there is no fix etc., please how can I modify it so it can appear in shops 100% percent? Is there a way?

02/
Sometimes when I enter a location Stone City, the game crashes. Next load is just fine. Not a big issue, but still..

03/
Is there any article with new features that Merge6-7-8 offers? How to use new items, game mechanics etc.?

04/
Any idea how to make it possible to respec skill points? I used cheat engine [downloaded from this thread.. a few pages back]. 1 lvl minus, skill points plus. Just simple math. Any other in-game way?

05/
What is the best way to lvl up? And speaking of devil, what is the lvl cap in general? Edit.: For instance.. Can I somehow add number of creatures to the map? Let's say.. Add big amount [40 pcs etc.] of ruby crystal dragons to Regna or to any Dragon Cave so it doesnt mess up with other NPCs?

EDIT: 06/ I am adding one more question about hireable NPCs. Through the whole world.. I am not having any luck with finding PRELATE NPC [+4 Body, Mind and Spirit Magic.]. I have reloaded like 80 times and spend 2 in-game years only by trying to find PRELATE one. Pathfinder, Piper, Psychic, Porter.. Everything spawned.. But not my desired one.. It's frustrating.. Any way how to make it spawned? Even the forced way?
=> After a deeper research I've figured out that Spell Master gives bonus to all magic schools hence there is no need for PRELATE to spawn.. Maybe? Anyway.. I have 4 Spell Master now, so no need to solve this anymore.
1. Regna works for me and others.
4. No in-game methods. Can be done via debug console.
6. There are no Prelate and Initiate NPC. Acolyte casts Bless (like in MM6) rather than increase self magic. Apprentice, Mystic and Spell Master work like in MM6, for elem, self and light/dark magic.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Dec 2022, 11:03

Xfing wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 00:41
cthscr wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 19:11
Xfing wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 21:46 Friendly quarterly reminder that the White Potion of Protection from Magic casts the spell on the entire party even when one person drinks it. I would therefore once again like to propose to change this potion to the only other spell effect I could think of that can affect a single character - Pain Reflection. It feels like a break in immersion and suspension of disbelief that a potion can affect the entire party, since all potions have only ever affected the drinker. It's kinda like the "Water Breathing" effect is separate for the potion, instead of casting the Water Walk spell - which once again, affects the entire party. So there could be an alternative like this, but it would require coding in a separate, equivalent effect for Protection from Magic, but one only affecting the drinker.
You haven't thought it fully. Potion provides buff of skill GM 10. That makes Cleric/Druid not your only option of getting protection from Death/Eradication. And you can't easily add brand new player-scope SpellBuffs - there's no space for them. Read Scripts/Core/ConstAndBits.lua for a list (const.PlayerBuff).
Sorry, I just assumed Pain Reflection would work on a single char because it does at expert level. But since the Protection from Magic potion was my idea in the first place, I feel responsible for pointing out the problem with it that I didn't consider before (it affecting the entire party). I realize it's not easy to add new spell effects - that's probably why "Water Breathing" is separate from "Water Walk" - but are there really no remaining spell effects that could be used for that white potion that only affect the drinker? I can see there's Regeneration for instance, but given how easy to get it is in the Merge, that would probably not be such a spectacular effect. Vampire Levitation and Mistform as well as Dark elf Glamour could apparently be reproduced with a potion as well, which does sound kinda fun. Levitation is like a more versatile version of Water Walk, so I feel it could be a decent idea for a white potion buff.
Pain Reflection could be added as character-scope indeed. But not instead of Protection from Magic which can't be turned into character-scope easily (GM Protection from Magic was often named one of the most important spells for party). I'd say there could be other party-scope potions, can't see anything that bad in it.
All character-scope spell buffs are in use. Unlike party buffs (which always have static "global" address) they are relative (in mm8.exe code) to character pointer. So while it's not that hard to add new party-scope spell buffs (and I'm going to add a few), there are some difficuties for character-scope ones.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 07 Dec 2022, 11:52

I've actually considered adding new single-character buffs (to my mod, although MM8 is almost the same), and it shouldn't be very hard. From the player perspective, a buff is just something that (a) has effects, (b) is shown on a portrait right-click, and (c) expires after a while or after a rest. You don't have to extend the vanilla buff array or even use the SpellBuff struct, just attach power and expiration time variables to each PC (I think Merge can already do that? In MM7 though, PCs are thankfully constant), and write hooks for (a) and (b). (c) can be checked in the former two hooks instead of every tick, although you'll still need to expire the new buff on rest or travel or training. Looks perfectly doable to me.

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 09 Dec 2022, 04:34

Question : What script handles wells?looked at 'oute3.lua' for new sorpigal and well isnt listed

edit: nvm got it working

edit 2 : since putting the evt unique function(num) into the /scripts/maps *.lua of the map in question over rideded the compiled version of the well, does this hold true for all map vanila functions in map scripts?

edit 3: ok beating my head against the wall,seems inn should teach disarm traps,but it doesnt,verified in /tables/class.txt that druid can learn,and it is even listed in char create screen,but isnt listed in the inn in 'new sorpigal',what other file am i missing that should have it?
edit 3: ok beating my head against the wall,seems inn should teach disarm traps,but it doesnt,verified in /tables/class.txt that druid can learn,and it is even listed in char create screen,but isnt listed in the inn in 'new sorpigal',what other file am i missing that should have it?
ok found the problem 'Race Skills.txt' was saved with an editor that set all '-' to 0's,deleting it worked
Last edited by Nirran on 12 Dec 2022, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 12 Dec 2022, 01:04

cthscr wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 09:50
toadking wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 00:11 When casting magic Shield or Heroism , both of icons of magic indicator in active party spells area(left-bottom) will not be displayed, right clicking active party spells area, show "None". This phenomenon does not affect the operation of the game, do you have an Idea about it?
In Revamp they (and Haste, and Stone Skin) are player-based buffs like Bless. Also single-player-targeted on Normal.
toadking wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 08:56 I found a intersting things, dragon can't wear a wetsuit in MM7 :), so dragons needs to be removed from team when the MM7 final quest comes. Does anyone has other good suggestion about it ?
Having wetsuit in inventory should help.
Thank you very much, I get it.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 13 Dec 2022, 13:26

Nirran wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 04:34 edit 2 : since putting the evt unique function(num) into the /scripts/maps *.lua of the map in question over rideded the compiled version of the well, does this hold true for all map vanila functions in map scripts?
If you just add function "evt.Map[XX] = function ... end" then it will be executed after regular event lines from <map>.evt file. If you add "Game.MapEvtLines:RemoveEvent(XX)" before - lines from <map>.evt file won't be executed, just your function code.

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 13 Dec 2022, 13:30

I did some dabbling with classes and skills. And I though that since there are both Dragons and Drakes, how about if Drakes could cast elemental spells? I even added Fire as a starting skill. Once in game I made a Drake with the fire skill. I start with Torch Light, but I can't learn the Firebolt spell because I "don't have the skill", that I clearly have. My guess is that spell books are treated the same way as armour and weapons. At least it was a fun thing to observe. Anyway, I added Unarmoured, since they have an unarmed melee attack now. It does less damage than the numbers say, and I though it would be a good idea to be able to increase their hit-rate as well. :)

Speaking of classes, I rearranged one of the race-classes into a Bard. Though I have no idea how to change the name. I've seen classes have been renamed before (Berserker, "Deerslayer", Master Wizard etc.)
If I wanted to change a class name, how would I do that?

Caligula Wellington
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caligula Wellington » 13 Dec 2022, 16:08

Thank you! It works great! :D
When I have been working through a bit and play tested I will try to upload my classes and skills etc, in case anyone would like to try them out. Some classes are a bit changed and rebalanced. Monks can meditate, and berserkers have shields etc. I also plan to split archers and battle mages into different classes by some reworking and renaming.

I also accidently solved that dragon spell thing, which also seemed to affect my sorcerer's ability to learn mind magic (replaced earth). No idea how, but it works fine now.

Nirran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nirran » 13 Dec 2022, 21:40

cthscr wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 13:26
Nirran wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 04:34 edit 2 : since putting the evt unique function(num) into the /scripts/maps *.lua of the map in question over rideded the compiled version of the well, does this hold true for all map vanila functions in map scripts?
If you just add function "evt.Map[XX] = function ... end" then it will be executed after regular event lines from <map>.evt file. If you add "Game.MapEvtLines:RemoveEvent(XX)" before - lines from <map>.evt file won't be executed, just your function code.
tyvm!

Vinicius_Zoio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinicius_Zoio » 15 Dec 2022, 21:49

Hello there, good people!

I recently bought GOG's M&M VIII and downloaded this mod so I could play all M&M games from the beginning.

However, I'm mostly interested in the lore and in the locations (I'll be GMing a HoM&M TTRPG game soon ^^), so I could really use some cheatcodes, trainers, save editors and their like. I tried several trainers I found on the web, but to no avail.

Could any of you here help me out? Is there any way to cheat my way through the 3 games? I'm aware of some exploits in the game, but I've much rather have the ability to increase stats/buy things "at will" if I chose so.

Thank you for any help you could give! ^^

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 16 Dec 2022, 09:08

Call MMExtension debug console via Ctrl+F1

Code: Select all

Party[0].MightBase = 255
Party[0] is first character. Ingame events limit you to 255 here, but bigger values can be assigned manually.

Code: Select all

evt[0].Add("Inventory", 500)
500 is item_id from items.txt

Return to “Might and Magic”