Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Spaceman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby Spaceman » 29 May 2022, 00:12

There is a use for that Telelocator. After uniting the Chaos with the Controlled Breach, and you get the winner’s proclamation and score. You put the telelocator into its slot in the Breach, and this activates that teleporter in the centre of the Breach. After stepping into the teleporter and a “Y”, you are teleported to the start of MM6 (New Sopigal), MM7 (Evermore Island) or MM8 (Dagger Wound). I`ve done this three times. The pure nostalgia of that initial view of New Sopigal carrying the traitor’s letter, plus one is 19 again (if only that happens in real life)….. So, it is report time for my recommendations and bugs when go through the Breach`s teleporter for a new game.
Recommendation
1) Award Initialisation (All). I think it best that all the players awards are completely scrubbed, as if we start each game. Similar to the total of bounty bonus, bank balance, cash balance, and acumage wins.
2) Roland and Land of Giants (MM7). This is a situation with the original game, where you can enter the Land of Giants at any time, and get the Roland exile video after you have killed Xenofax and exited the Land of Giants. Ideally, you should only be allowed to enter the Land of Giants after you get the “Kill Xenofax” quest. I originally thought it a bug that you do not get Roland`s welcome video, but get that video exile video, and it was a showstopper for anyone choosing the Dark Path. But it is not a bug; I discovered later it best to get that quest before entering the Land of Giants.
Bugs
3) Soul Jars (MM7). I think this is a bug with the original game. It is a showstopper. Except for the first initial game, the Soul Jars do NOT appear in Castle Gloaming or Thunderfist Mountain. Similar situation with the Lantern of Light in the Barrows. My workaround, was to ask the Oracle at Castle Harmondale ”I have lost it” until he gives me the Soul Jars (and Lantern of Light), and then take these items (and all the other quest items) with me when my team through to Breach`s teleporter for a new game.
4). Barrels (All). It seems that the barrels no longer give you +2 points.
5) Wilbur Humphrey and the Find Lord Kilburn's Shield Quest. On your initial visit, Wilbur gives you the quest, but when you return with the shield, you are not able to give it to him and the quest is never finished. But despite this bug, because of the next bug (6) this bug (5) is irrelevant as you can still visit the Oracle. NOTE: I think if you follow my 1) Award Initialisation recommendation, this bug will go away (similar with the following bugs 6) and 7)).
6) Oracle`s Quests (MM6). After delivering Sulman`s letter to Wilbur, the MM6 Oracle instead of telling you must next do the 6 Lord`s quests in order to gain entry to the Oracle, the Oracle goes tells you that do the “Find a cure for Slicker Silvertongue” quest.
7) Oracle Crash (MM6). If you do one or More of the Lord`s quests, but not all of them. The game crashes. My work around was to do all 6 quests, and then visit the Oracle, when Silvertongue will refuse entry and trigger the “Find a cure for Slicker Silvertongue” quest from Wilbur.

WELL DONE. It is a real pity that Jon and NWC did not do what you have done, and combine the three games into one, instead of the disaster that was MM9 the Writ of Fate.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 30 May 2022, 14:18

Blastheaven wrote: 27 May 2022, 19:37
Muldak wrote: 11 May 2022, 11:44 I can't install the French localization.
I did what is listed below:
- copy files in your "...\Data" folder to apply localization.
But my game remains in English.
Someone help me?
Hi there!

I have the same problem than this guy, with german translations too.

When copying files in data as said, translation from text files are taken in account, but no translation from any .lod file.

As a result, some text are translated, but no audio.

Any one have a solution? I searched in the 30 last pages, to see if there is any solution already recently given, but I didn't find any :/
Rename '02 LocFr.EnglishD.lod' into something like 'n10loc_FR.D.lod' (first 'n' is important).

Blastheaven
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Blastheaven » 30 May 2022, 20:11

cthscr wrote: 30 May 2022, 14:18
Blastheaven wrote: 27 May 2022, 19:37
Muldak wrote: 11 May 2022, 11:44 I can't install the French localization.
I did what is listed below:
- copy files in your "...\Data" folder to apply localization.
But my game remains in English.
Someone help me?
Hi there!

I have the same problem than this guy, with german translations too.

When copying files in data as said, translation from text files are taken in account, but no translation from any .lod file.

As a result, some text are translated, but no audio.

Any one have a solution? I searched in the 30 last pages, to see if there is any solution already recently given, but I didn't find any :/
Rename '02 LocFr.EnglishD.lod' into something like 'n10loc_FR.D.lod' (first 'n' is important).

Adding the 'n' at the beginning of the file name works like a charm, thank you!

Gumdoc999
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gumdoc999 » 31 May 2022, 18:03

Is there a known bug with Castle Alamos? I know what the password is at the end, remember it from the past and confirmed online. Yes, no matter how I type it (all caps, all lower, etc.), it says Wrong and teleports me. Any help is appreciated.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 02 Jun 2022, 13:50

Gumdoc999 wrote: 31 May 2022, 18:03 Is there a known bug with Castle Alamos? I know what the password is at the end, remember it from the past and confirmed online. Yes, no matter how I type it (all caps, all lower, etc.), it says Wrong and teleports me. Any help is appreciated.
Works just fine for me.

Gleb 'Vityaz' Buh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gleb 'Vityaz' Buh » 07 Jun 2022, 12:58

Hello! I've been having issues getting the hardware acceleration to even appear in the configuration utility, I have both mm8setup and the exe set to run in admin mode with compatibility in XP service pack 2. When I go to the configuration utility hardware accelerated 3d is greyed out and I cannot click on it, and the text box on the right says my Primary Display Driver does not support D3D hardware. I have my drivers on my 1070 GTX up to date and I believe I have the right direct X redistributables. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I'm not sure what I have to post to give more information so please hit me up if you can help me. Thanks!

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 10 Jun 2022, 05:56

Hi.

¿Isn't there a mm8che udpate or special version for MMMerge?

For those who mayhap not know, it's just a simple yet quite powerful UI-friendly mod for MM8 (right below, a screenshot). It seems there exist also mm7che and mm6che, but I've only used so far mm8che. It would be great if there was a "mm678che" or "mmmche" ['m' for merge]).

It happens that, today, I've just dared to experiment running good'ol mm8che into MMMerge Saves, to play MMMerge; and… ¡it kinda works! 8| :hoo:

There are a few limitations though I've been finding out: :down:
• For most cases, one cannot generate MMMerge's MM6/MM7 content (Portraits, Skill [Stealing], Items, etc.) only MM8 content; meaning for example one cannot give to a character any MM6/MM7 Portrait, but one can still edit upon a character with a preexisting MM6/MM7 Portrait and change that one for a MM8 Portrait.
• Classes & Promoted Classes (16 listed items in total) in mm8che are not correspondent to what they are in-game for MMMerge: actually, what seems to be happening automatically is that all the MMMerge Classes & Promoted Classes are trying to be listed on this 16-item list… Seems like MMMerge's ordering logic is alphabetic for the original Class (Archer, Cleric, Dark Elf, Dragon…), but it goes through all the Promoted Classes before continuing (so, Archer, Warrior Mage, Master Archer, Sniper; then it goes Cleric…); so, that mm8che's 16-item list gets very soon depleted and there is this arbitrary, significant limitation for Class edition; but if one knows the correspondences, at least a limited number of Classes can be input.
• Items cannot be edited on the Inventory tab if the editing character has got MM6/MM7 Items on his/her inventory; it crashes mm8che.

Despite the big limiting problems with Portraits, Classes and Items, still, the best part is that, editing characters' features such as Stats, Skills and Spells, seems to be working properly. So, this is huge, and pretty funny, especially considering it wasn't made for MMMerge. Would be a fascinating to have it operate 100%.

Thanks.

Edit: actually, bad news. when an edited character which has an inaccessible Class for mm8che is saved, the character Class starts to be called in-game "The Placeholder" (it won't happen if such character is not edited in particular). The game may still run normally in apparence, but will crashes if you get into a "Learn Skill" menu on that particular character (until that "Placeholder" or "blank" Class is substituted; but this may sacrifice the wanted Class). Other unexpected behaviors may arise from this situation; and is bad enough having someone called like "Devlin Arcanus The Placeholder". I've check the forums someone already reached that same conclusion btw. So far, not very thrilling.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 12 Jun 2022, 08:01

Kinox wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 05:56 Hi.

¿Isn't there a mm8che udpate or special version for MMMerge?

For those who mayhap not know, it's just a simple yet quite powerful UI-friendly mod for MM8 (right below, a screenshot). It seems there exist also mm7che and mm6che, but I've only used so far mm8che. It would be great if there was a "mm678che" or "mmmche" ['m' for merge]).

It happens that, today, I've just dared to experiment running good'ol mm8che into MMMerge Saves, to play MMMerge; and… ¡it kinda works! 8| :hoo:

There are a few limitations though I've been finding out: :down:
• For most cases, one cannot generate MMMerge's MM6/MM7 content (Portraits, Skill [Stealing], Items, etc.) only MM8 content; meaning for example one cannot give to a character any MM6/MM7 Portrait, but one can still edit upon a character with a preexisting MM6/MM7 Portrait and change that one for a MM8 Portrait.
• Classes & Promoted Classes (16 listed items in total) in mm8che are not correspondent to what they are in-game for MMMerge: actually, what seems to be happening automatically is that all the MMMerge Classes & Promoted Classes are trying to be listed on this 16-item list… Seems like MMMerge's ordering logic is alphabetic for the original Class (Archer, Cleric, Dark Elf, Dragon…), but it goes through all the Promoted Classes before continuing (so, Archer, Warrior Mage, Master Archer, Sniper; then it goes Cleric…); so, that mm8che's 16-item list gets very soon depleted and there is this arbitrary, significant limitation for Class edition; but if one knows the correspondences, at least a limited number of Classes can be input.
• Items cannot be edited on the Inventory tab if the editing character has got MM6/MM7 Items on his/her inventory; it crashes mm8che.

Despite the big limiting problems with Portraits, Classes and Items, still, the best part is that, editing characters' features such as Stats, Skills and Spells, seems to be working properly. So, this is huge, and pretty funny, especially considering it wasn't made for MMMerge. Would be a fascinating to have it operate 100%.

Thanks.

Edit: actually, bad news. when an edited character which has an inaccessible Class for mm8che is saved, the character Class starts to be called in-game "The Placeholder" (it won't happen if such character is not edited in particular). The game may still run normally in apparence, but will crashes if you get into a "Learn Skill" menu on that particular character (until that "Placeholder" or "blank" Class is substituted; but this may sacrifice the wanted Class). Other unexpected behaviors may arise from this situation; and is bad enough having someone called like "Devlin Arcanus The Placeholder". I've check the forums someone already reached that same conclusion btw. So far, not very thrilling.
there is a cheat engine file somewhere in the thread (or in the open, dont know atm) - mm8-jessen.ct called.
it has most things for char-editing, but not items - i dont know if there is a command list (with an items list) for getting items via console
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

1mm0rt@11
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 1mm0rt@11 » 12 Jun 2022, 18:10

Hi im new here, and i only found out about this mod a few days ago. I am loving it for the most part but i would like to adjust the racial skills (lore friendly) to suit my personal needs, But when i tweak some the in game description of the skills limits me to expert regardless while the vampire and dark elf skills will let you go to full GM on promotion. so i guess what i am asking is what do each of the number mean in the columns, I know that e =expert and the last digit set to 1 grants the skill at creation, what i dont get is the numbers inbetween and would just like an explanation.

for example E/0/2/0/1 for vampire means E= for exper and the 1 at the end means its granted, but what does the 0/2/0 in the middle mean.
Thanks
Last edited by 1mm0rt@11 on 12 Jun 2022, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 12 Jun 2022, 23:36

justl wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 08:01
there is a cheat engine file somewhere in the thread (or in the open, dont know atm) - mm8-jessen.ct called.
it has most things for char-editing, but not items - i dont know if there is a command list (with an items list) for getting items via console
¡Hey, thanks!

It really works. Searched "Jessen" in this thread and it lead me to his site:
https://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopi ... e_vignette

It took me a while to figure out how to install and run that Cheat Engine app on Linux.
I was lucky that I could emulate both the CE and MMMerge on the same Wine settings (same emulated virtual drive), so that CE can immediately identify the running process of MMMerge.

Wine settings that would run both stuff (at least on distro Linux Mint 20.03, which is Ubuntu-based):
Cheat Engine version: 7.4
Wine version: 7.4 (emulating Windows 8 version)

I'm not sure if CE can do everything I was looking for.
For example, it seems (at least from a basic user perspective) it can only edit 5 characters in total per game: in principle, the 5 characters in Party Creation. Those tags in CE ("Character 1", "Character 2", etc., seem to remain locked to the same characters, even if you dismiss them in game and try to use your Party slots for other characters that you might be trying to edit with the tags in CE. So, the CE tags are not Party-slot related.
Perhaps, there would be a solution if someone knew the code or a way in CE to "recall" each one of the 50 Characters that exist in MM8 and in current MMMerge (you can always contemplate all of those mysterious 50 Characters from the list in mm8che.exe which is funny).
If it is possible, still, from what I've been checking on CE, it might take some massive manual work to add each one of the remaining 45 Characters to be editable in CE…

Again, thanks for the tip.
Despite the apparent CE limitations, the Class & Portrait edition seems to include all possibilities there.
It's kinda wicked, but if I combined the use of both CE and mm8che, I might get technically closer to my original objective. Not sure I'll get into that path though; when modifications are so truncated like that, it may end up spoil the gameplay.

jermungand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

No anims/music

Unread postby jermungand » 13 Jun 2022, 22:29

For some reason, my installed version of the merge mod will not load animations or music from MM6 and 7.

I have to click past an error message when I start the game outside of Jadame (because the 6/7 intros won't play) and every time I enter a building, I appear to remain outside because the interior scene won't load.

Also the music isn't playing, of course.

I'm using the latest (2022-04-08) "nomedia" pack version of the mod.

Can anyone please help me?

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Re: No anims/music

Unread postby Kinox » 13 Jun 2022, 23:06

jermungand wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 22:29 For some reason, my installed version of the merge mod will not load animations or music from MM6 and 7.

I have to click past an error message when I start the game outside of Jadame (because the 6/7 intros won't play) and every time I enter a building, I appear to remain outside because the interior scene won't load.

Hey, that one is simple.

You have a 'no media' pack (probably the same as I have), but you need to complement it with the 'media' pack.
It's just an extra step of the installation in-between others (done in the same way), but the order of things is important; you find the instructions in those links. It's a bit confusing but one can figure it out; I'd say it looks like this:

original/vanilla MM8 install → no-media pack → media pack (you're probably lacking this step) → pick 1 MMMerge branch (Base/Master/Comm)

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install

wedge5096
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wedge5096 » 14 Jun 2022, 14:34

I haven't seen any hirelings (new party members) in any taverns or gyms in over a year (in-game time). Taverns and gyms regularly had new party members until I left Jadame for Antagarich.

I started in Jadame (Dark Elf) and when I was almost finished with that story (the only quests in my log were to get the four elemental hearts from the planes plus the seriously round crystal for Verdant), I increased the Bolster to 200% and went to Antagarich.

After that, no taverns or gyms in Antagarich had any new party members. I went back to Jadame and spent one month sleeping in the Ravenshore tavern, then used town portal to check gyms and taverns all over the continent for new party members. I repeated this for four months. No luck.

I then went to Enroth, and explored taverns and gyms in New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfirst, Misty Islands, Bootleg Bay and Free Haven. No new party members available.

I really like mixing up my party and experimenting with new party combinations, so I'd love to see hire some new party members, but none are available.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but before I left Jadame, I went to the adventurer's inn and permanently dismissed all but eight of the original MM8 hirelings (my favorite from each class). I'm not sure how that might affect new party members spawning in taverns and gyms, especially because the Jadame adventurer's inn now only has eight hirelings in it, but maybe it does.

Any help is appreciated.

Crasyhead
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Questions about basic info on how some things work

Unread postby Crasyhead » 14 Jun 2022, 17:56

Hello i have always ben a big fan of the Heroes of might and magic and always knew the might and magic series was a thing but never got into them (but always wanted to) until i heard about this merge mod. I'm looking very forward to get into this game but i have a few questions about this merge version.

1. When i'm picking 1 of the 3 worlds to start out in and creating a 5man party i find it wired why i can only pick knight/Druid/Cleric/Archer/Peasant/Sorcerer/Paladin if i pick MM6 but can only pick knight/Priest/Peasant/Necromancer if i pick MM8 but i can pick knight/Druid/Cleric/Archer/Peasant/Sorcerer/Thief/Ranger/Paladin/Monk if i pick MM7 as my start point when making a party. Why can i not make all the classes in all 3 worlds from start when making my party? Looking at what has the most amount of classes to pick from MM7 seems like a no brainer to go for over the over 2 as it has a lot more options unless i'm missing something here?

2. Is the whole race thing not part of the game anymore? as i don't see any race option when making a hero for my party, i can see that you can pick a picture portrait that makes your hero look like a different race but even in game it does not say anything on what race you are no matter what portrait you pick?

3. Seeing as this is a mix with both 6,7,8 game in it what skill system is the game using? is there a fan page somewhere where i can get information on what classes can pick what skills and what classes can get grandmaster in does skills? as well as what do classes evolve into when getting a class change? seeing as it is different depending on what game you are playing normally.

Thank you for your time :)

jermungand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: No anims/music

Unread postby jermungand » 14 Jun 2022, 21:10

Kinox wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 23:06
jermungand wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 22:29 For some reason, my installed version of the merge mod will not load animations or music from MM6 and 7.

Hey, that one is simple.

You have a 'no media' pack (probably the same as I have), but you need to complement it with the 'media' pack.
It's just an extra step of the installation in-between others (done in the same way), but the order of things is important; you find the instructions in those links. It's a bit confusing but one can figure it out; I'd say it looks like this:

original/vanilla MM8 install → no-media pack → media pack (you're probably lacking this step) → pick 1 MMMerge branch (Base/Master/Comm)

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install
Thanks a lot for your help. :) Naturally, it works perfectly now.

I probably could've taken the word "nomedia" as a clue that there was a major component missing (namely the media, who knew?) in the first place, but what the hell. XD Thanks again. :tsup:

jermungand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Questions about basic info on how some things work

Unread postby jermungand » 15 Jun 2022, 13:45

Crasyhead wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:56 Hello i have always ben a big fan of the Heroes of might and magic and always knew the might and magic series was a thing but never got into them (but always wanted to) until i heard about this merge mod. I'm looking very forward to get into this game but i have a few questions about this merge version.

1. When i'm picking 1 of the 3 worlds to start out in and creating a 5man party i find it wired why i can only pick knight/Druid/Cleric/Archer/Peasant/Sorcerer/Paladin if i pick MM6 but can only pick knight/Priest/Peasant/Necromancer if i pick MM8 but i can pick knight/Druid/Cleric/Archer/Peasant/Sorcerer/Thief/Ranger/Paladin/Monk if i pick MM7 as my start point when making a party. Why can i not make all the classes in all 3 worlds from start when making my party? Looking at what has the most amount of classes to pick from MM7 seems like a no brainer to go for over the over 2 as it has a lot more options unless i'm missing something here?

2. Is the whole race thing not part of the game anymore? as i don't see any race option when making a hero for my party, i can see that you can pick a picture portrait that makes your hero look like a different race but even in game it does not say anything on what race you are no matter what portrait you pick?

3. Seeing as this is a mix with both 6,7,8 game in it what skill system is the game using? is there a fan page somewhere where i can get information on what classes can pick what skills and what classes can get grandmaster in does skills? as well as what do classes evolve into when getting a class change? seeing as it is different depending on what game you are playing normally.

I'm new to this mod myself, though since nobody has yet responded to your question, I'm going to reply to the best of my knowledge.

1. Agreed. I do believe that there's an additional mod that puts all the games' classes together, though.

2. The party creation screen doesn't tell you in words about the character's race, but race is 100% still there even though it says nothing. For example, pick a portrait/character who is obviously an Elf, and try adding/deducting stats like Intellect and Endurance. You *will* see those stats adjust differently than other characters (Intellect goes up by 2 for each single point given, etc.).

3. The game uses the MM8 skill system (while including skills that aren't in MM8) thus going up to GM, even for MM6 characters. Don't know of any manual for this mod, but if you give a character a skill (either in party creation before clicking start, or in-game) you can find how high a proficiency you can achieve in it by right clicking (white if available at current promotion, yellow if available after the required promotion, red if never). By the way, Druids appear to eventually get GM in elemental/self magics for both the MM6 *and* MM7 start. Check that out. :)

All of this is according to the best of my knowledge (which I've attained so far by simply testing a few new games in New Sorpigal) so I hope I'm not overlooking anything important.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 16 Jun 2022, 01:36

wedge5096 wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 14:34 I haven't seen any hirelings (new party members) in any taverns or gyms in over a year (in-game time).
Ok, so that's are a bit obscure issue I've also found in MMMerge, but here is what's probably going on:

In principle, there are at total 50 playable characters in the engine, and they are kind of categorized for different functions on the game. Normally, of course, it is not possible to play with all of the 50 characters without cheating; it was never possible not even in MM8.

In the case of MMMerge, for some reason, because of the current state of the Recruit Randomization feature,
it seems like you CANNOT mess up with two particular characters in your game: characters "36" and "37"; as those seem to be what devs/mods have called characters for "service purpose".
Character "36" appears (as a troll) at the Adventurer's Inn whenever you create a Party larger than 1.
Character "37" appears (as a clone of your 1st character/character "0") at the Adventurer's Inn whenever you create a Party larger than 2.
DO NOT DISMISS THEM from the Adventurer's Inn, as the Recruit Randomization feature depends on them in order to operate on its full potential: generating up to 8 Random Recruit and not any other lesser number.
I've found out that, if you Dismiss them from the Adventurer's Inn, they will themselves become Randomized Recruits, and this will mess up the randomizing system. From my own experience, you may end up being limited maybe only to 3 or 5 Random Recruits instead of the correct quantity which would be 8. And I don't know if this screwing up event is even reversible after the damage is done. What to me seems safer is (on the case of new games that is…) just getting rid of those annoying service characters only after the wanted Random Recruits have been properly recruited.

Here is the list of "playable characters"; I used mm8che.exe to verify these data:
(note: the counting numbers is what is shown when looking at characters in the Adventurer's Inn)
0 — 1st Party Creation Character
1 — MM8 (Devlin Arcanus)
2 — MM8 (Fredrick Talimere)
3 — MM8 (Simon Templar)
4 — MM8 (Overdune Snapfinger)
5 — MM8
6 — MM8
7 — MM8 (Elsbeth Lamentia)
8 — MM8
9 — MM8
10 — MM8
11 — MM8
12 — MM8 (Leane Stormlance)
13 — MM8 (Volog Sandwind)
14 — MM8 (Thanys)
15 — MM8
16 — MM8
17 — MM8
18 — MM8
19 — MM8
20 — MM8
21 — MM8
22 — MM8
23 — MM8
24 — MM8
25 — MM8
26 — MM8 (Dervish Chevron)
27 — MM8
28 — MM8
29 — MM8
30 — MM8 (Cauri Blackthorne)
31 — MM8
32 — MM8
33 — MM8
34 — MM8 (Dyson Leyland)
35 — MM8 (Blazen Stormlance)
36 — "service purpose" troll
37 — "service purpose" minotaur OR clone of character "0"
38 — 2nd Party Creation Character
39 — 3rd Party Creation Character
40 — 4th Party Creation Character
41 — 5th Party Creation Character
42 — Random Recruit
43 — Random Recruit
44 — Random Recruit
45 — Random Recruit
46 — Random Recruit
47 — Random Recruit
48 — Random Recruit
49 — Random Recruit

Unfortunately, I do not know yet any way to reverse the damage after it is done.
But at least this should give a crucial information on how not to screw up the Recruit Randomization feature on MMMerge (note: my tests were done on the Base branch).

I hope this information can be useful; maybe something about the feature could be improved.
¡Good Luck!

EDIT: New finding: The Recruit Randomization system actually seems to get screwed up by the Dismissing of ANY character from the Adventurer's Inn. So it has nothing to do in particular with the 2 "server purpose" characters. Even when they are safely kept in the Adventurer's Inn, but then you just Dismiss other characters from it, it seems to be one plausible cause of the triggering of this bug anyways.

If this is correct, then this could be a way to avoid triggering the bug without having to handle on your own some modding challenges that you'll find more info about if you just keep reading this topic from here.
Last edited by Kinox on 04 Jul 2022, 00:36, edited 3 times in total.

jermungand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jermungand » 16 Jun 2022, 04:42

Crasyhead wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:56 Hello i have always ben a big fan of the Heroes of might and magic and always knew the might and magic series was a thing but never got into them (but always wanted to) until i heard about this merge mod. I'm looking very forward to get into this game but i have a few questions about this merge version.

One more thing... If this is your first time with the Might & Magic RPGs, then I would absolutely suggest playing one of the three games on it's own first. The game balance with the merge will be whacked, there will be wonky things that you can workaround as somebody who is familiar with the games already but will really screw you over if you don't, and you'll be stretched between trying to work important details out between different games. The merge is kinda designed on the assumption that you already know what those are.

I *strongly recommend* you play one of the games by itself first. Some people think 8 is great for newcomers because its easier, you can swap out party members, and it simplified/streamlined a few features from the other two games. I suggest MM7 because it explains itself to the player more than MM6, is more intelligent/fun in the obstacles it presents the player (rather than over-relying seas of OP death-monsters as in 6), and a better and more complete game overall than 8. I'd go as far as saying 7 is the best MM game period, though some would say 6.

Crasyhead
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crasyhead » 16 Jun 2022, 15:38

jermungand wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 04:42

One more thing... If this is your first time with the Might & Magic RPGs, then I would absolutely suggest playing one of the three games on it's own first. The game balance with the merge will be whacked, there will be wonky things that you can workaround as somebody who is familiar with the games already but will really screw you over if you don't, and you'll be stretched between trying to work important details out between different games. The merge is kinda designed on the assumption that you already know what those are.

I *strongly recommend* you play one of the games by itself first. Some people think 8 is great for newcomers because its easier, you can swap out party members, and it simplified/streamlined a few features from the other two games. I suggest MM7 because it explains itself to the player more than MM6, is more intelligent/fun in the obstacles it presents the player (rather than over-relying seas of OP death-monsters as in 6), and a better and more complete game overall than 8. I'd go as far as saying 7 is the best MM game period, though some would say 6.
Thx for the help, i looked up some things about the mod and fund out there are files in the game files where all the info on who can get what skills to grandmaster ect and person even made a pic showing how classes evolve in their class.
I have seen the extra + and - in some stats when you pick some races just thought there was more to it.
I fixed some games files so i could make the party i wanted with the skills i wanted to be able to get grandmaster without being forced to pick some classes just to get does skills and made a 3x knight 1 cleric 1 sorc party and im starting out in MM7.
It's fine if it get's hard down the line i just want to play for some fun, if i end up not being able to get it all done then i guess i well play the games by themselves but wanted to give this a go first as it has more stuff in it so longer play time = more fun

jermungand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jermungand » 16 Jun 2022, 21:10

Crasyhead wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 15:38
jermungand wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 04:42

Thx for the help, i looked up some things about the mod and fund out there are files in the game files where all the info on who can get what skills to grandmaster ect and person even made a pic showing how classes evolve in their class.
I have seen the extra + and - in some stats when you pick some races just thought there was more to it.
I fixed some games files so i could make the party i wanted with the skills i wanted to be able to get grandmaster without being forced to pick some classes just to get does skills and made a 3x knight 1 cleric 1 sorc party and im starting out in MM7.
It's fine if it get's hard down the line i just want to play for some fun, if i end up not being able to get it all done then i guess i well play the games by themselves but wanted to give this a go first as it has more stuff in it so longer play time = more fun
You're welcome.

There is a little bit more to race besides beginning stats (though even that by itself is very relevant for making a class more powerful at the start or shoring up it's weaknesses, and making your otherwise fragile sorcerer a dwarf might be a good idea for the extra early endurance within your obviously melee focused party). Down the line there are some artifacts which are usable only by characters of a particular sex/class/race in 7 & 8, though I'm not entirely sure how the mod handles this, since MM8's system puts race and class into a single thing. There are also monsters which are more inclined to attack certain party members according to the same sets of criteria.

Did you tweak the game so that characters can GM everything?

Play the game however you want to play it, and have fun. For what it may or may not be worth, I will say that part of the fun in a Might and Magic game is in the skill limitations and trade-offs created by the class system, and in figuring out how to make a powerful party while working within that scheme.

Return to “Might and Magic”