Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 27.12.2021]

Unread postby Rodril » 29 Dec 2021, 10:31

DaveHer wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 23:00 @Rodril
I downloaded the 27.12.2021 version and played the game and found that the sprites had their colors all messed up. So, I check the downloaded Lod files and found that the sprites in those files had their colors messed up. There is something wrong with the palettes. I downloaded it twice to double check.
David
Did you apply game files to fresh installation of mm8 or to previous version of merge? Could you check for file named "patch.bitmaps.lod" in your Data folder, is it there?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 29 Dec 2021, 18:20

Rodril wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 10:31
DaveHer wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 23:00 @Rodril
I downloaded the 27.12.2021 version and played the game and found that the sprites had their colors all messed up. So, I check the downloaded Lod files and found that the sprites in those files had their colors messed up. There is something wrong with the palettes. I downloaded it twice to double check.
David
Did you apply game files to fresh installation of mm8 or to previous version of merge? Could you check for file named "patch.bitmaps.lod" in your Data folder, is it there?
I applied it to a fresh installation. :) I check the files before installing them and the sprites in the lod files looked wrong (corrupt). You might want to download the file yourself and check them. (The sprites.lod) I am afraid that I cannot look for the "patch.bitmaps.lod" because I have already deleted the game and the download files. :( I checked the files for the old version (MM678_Merged_2021_06_03) The sprites were OK there. I checked using MMArchive.
David

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 29 Dec 2021, 19:57

MMArchive can give preview of sprites different than actual image in the game, because upon previewing it uses autochosen palette from bitmaps.lod, while in the game all palettes are selected manually via SFT.txt from Data\Tables folder. I've tested updating both fresh installation and older version and only had similar issue, if obsoltete unintended lod archives with palettes were present in Data folder.

I will recheck everything again, just in case.
If anyone else have issues with messed up colors of palettes in the game, please, let me know.

CATMAN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby CATMAN » 29 Dec 2021, 20:16

...can't climb a step in this place...

...не могу подняться на ступеньку...

P.S. ...everything worked out... sorry
Last edited by CATMAN on 30 Dec 2021, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 29 Dec 2021, 20:22

Rodril wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 19:57 MMArchive can give preview of sprites different than actual image in the game, because upon previewing it uses autochosen palette from bitmaps.lod, while in the game all palettes are selected manually via SFT.txt from Data\Tables folder. I've tested updating both fresh installation and older version and only had similar issue, if obsoltete unintended lod archives with palettes were present in Data folder.

I will recheck everything again, just in case.
If anyone else have issues with messed up colors of palettes in the game, please, let me know.
I forgot to mention that I have an installation of the old version using the following: MM678_Merged_2021_06_03, MM678_Patch_2021_07_05 and mmmerge-rodril-fixes and there were no problems.
Forget what I said about the problem. I know where I went wrong. I apologize.
David

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 29 Dec 2021, 22:22

In this new version, do I need to apply "MM678_Patch_2021_07_05" and "mmmerge-rodril-fixes"?

David

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 29 Dec 2021, 23:52

So just looking over character creation screen again, it appears that all Elf portraits are actually treated as Dark Elves once you start the game. I've confirmed this starting in all three continents, and the races are definitely different at character creation: ie Dark Elf portraits have reduced Endurance, increased Accuracy, with all other attributes being 11, whereas Elf portraits also have reduced Might and increased Intellect. However, in-game, both have the Dark Elf skill and the Dark Elf spell tab. Not sure if this is intended behaviour?

Secondly, is there a list of which Class each of the starting races can become? (esp the "monster" races from MM8 - ie Minotaur, Vampire, Troll, Dark Elf and Dragon). For example I started a Vampire Peasant and could not convert to a Paladin in New Sorpigal. Based on what I *could* convert to, I presume you can only ever become the Classes that are available for that race in the character creation screen anyway? Which means that starting as a Peasant is only useful:
* if you want to play through as a peasant
* to start with Bow/Learning and convert to your intended class asap in game
* to get the 5k xp reward for "choosing" a class
Would this be correct?

Finally, I have found the trainers to convert from Peasant to other Classes in New Sorpigal, but never found them in the MM7 or MM8 towns - do they exist? I know the Necro Guild in Shadowspiere converts all remaining peasants to Necros, but haven't found any other options in the mm7 or MM8 worlds.

Thanks

bootluca
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bootluca » 30 Dec 2021, 22:09

Hi again,
until yesterday, the last version installed in september worked, today I decided to install the new update december 2021, I extracted the mm678merged zip inside the folder where the game is installed, and then I extracetd the mm678patch, of course replacing the files.
At the launch of the game I got this message

...\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\18_MergeFunctions.lua:71: attempt to index local 'MF' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
...\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\18_MergeFunctions.lua:71: in function 'dofile'
D:\GoG\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Core\main.lua:476: in main chunk

local variables of 'dofile':
LogId = "MergeFunctions"
Log = (function: 0x05e60670)
MF = nil
memcall = (function: 0x0570bb98)
u4 = (table: 0x05765490)
max = (function: builtin#62)
table_filter = (function: 0x05e72720)
table_isempty = (function: 0x05e6bf40)
get_player_from_ptr = (function: 0x0571e788)
(*temporary) = 2
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = 3669
(*temporary) = 3668
(*temporary) = ""
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = (table: 0x05e63db8)
(*temporary) = -1
(*temporary) = -1
(*temporary) = "attempt to index local 'MF' (a nil value)"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what does it mean? how can I solve?
Thanks in advance
Luca
>

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 31 Dec 2021, 08:07

bootluca wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 22:09 Hi again,
until yesterday, the last version installed in september worked, today I decided to install the new update december 2021, I extracted the mm678merged zip inside the folder where the game is installed, and then I extracetd the mm678patch, of course replacing the files.

...\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\18_MergeFunctions.lua:71: attempt to index local 'MF' (a nil value)
You're mixing different versions (Revamp or Comm with Base). You have to remove all extra files then in Scripts, Data and DataFiles.
Ossie wrote: However, in-game, both have the Dark Elf skill and the Dark Elf spell tab.
Intended.
Ossie wrote: I presume you can only ever become the Classes that are available for that race in the character creation screen anyway?
Wrong, to allowed starting classes for that race in general, not just for your starting continent. See the starting table of 'Data/Tables/Character selection.txt'. Vampires have quite limited classes pool in Base.
Ossie wrote: Finally, I have found the trainers to convert from Peasant to other Classes in New Sorpigal, but never found them in the MM7 or MM8 towns - do they exist?
They do, using the same pattern. https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... ok/Peasant
DaveHer wrote: In this new version, do I need to apply "MM678_Patch_2021_07_05" and "mmmerge-rodril-fixes"?
No and no, rodril-fixes aren't compatible yet.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 31 Dec 2021, 09:30

@CTHSCR
Thank you for answering my question.
David

bootluca
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bootluca » 31 Dec 2021, 19:22

cthscr wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 08:07
bootluca wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 22:09 Hi again,

You're mixing different versions (Revamp or Comm with Base). You have to remove all extra files then in Scripts, Data and DataFiles.
I uninstalled everything and reinstalled:
1) the GOG version
2) I overwrote the files from "mm678_merged_2021_12_27"
3) I overwrote the files from "mm678_patch_2021_12_27"
4) I overwrote the files from "mmmerge-comm.zip" after removed all files inside "DataFiles" folder
I launched the game, keeping old saves but I have the issues with messed up colors of palettes

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 01 Jan 2022, 00:07

cthscr wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 08:07
Ossie wrote: I presume you can only ever become the Classes that are available for that race in the character creation screen anyway?
Wrong, to allowed starting classes for that race in general, not just for your starting continent. See the starting table of 'Data/Tables/Character selection.txt'. Vampires have quite limited classes pool in Base.
Thanks cthscr, appreciate the response. Apologies for being completely stupid, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at with that table. It gives Class along the top, but down the left hand side all I see are numbers. I can't interpret how this relates to races?

But to maybe get the answer in another way, would it be correct to say that a particular race can only ever become the Classes that are available in the character creation screens *across all three starting continents*? In other words, if you see a Class available to Vampires in the creation screens for any of the three starting continents, a peasant Vampire could eventually convert to it (no matter which continent they ended up starting in), but if you don't see it available at creation in any of the three starting games, you can never convert to that Class?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jan 2022, 07:04

bootluca wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 19:22 2) I overwrote the files from "mm678_merged_2021_12_27"
3) I overwrote the files from "mm678_patch_2021_12_27"
4) I overwrote the files from "mmmerge-comm.zip" after removed all files inside "DataFiles" folder
mmmerge-comm is incompatible with pack 2021-12-27. And will be for a week or two maybe.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jan 2022, 07:11

Ossie wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 00:07 Apologies for being completely stupid, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at with that table. It gives Class along the top, but down the left hand side all I see are numbers. I can't interpret how this relates to races?
Scripts/General/MiscTweaks.lua (since you're using Base Merge):

Code: Select all

const.Race = {
		Human 	 = 0,
		Vampire	 = 1,
		DarkElf	 = 2,
		Minotaur = 3,
		Troll	 = 4,
		Dragon	 = 5,
		Undead	 = 6,
		Elf		 = 7,
		Goblin	 = 8,
		Dwarf	 = 9,
		Zombie	 = 10
	}
Ossie wrote: But to maybe get the answer in another way, would it be correct to say that a particular race can only ever become the Classes that are available in the character creation screens *across all three starting continents*?
No. There is a possibility that race isn't allowed in the continent that uses allowed classes for that race. Like (hypothetically) if vampires are forbidden to start in Antagarich and have Thief as allowed class. They should be able to, say, start in Jadame and convert to Thief in Antagarich.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 01 Jan 2022, 18:03

@Rodril, GrayFace, or Cthscr,

I finished doing merge redone. All three continents have been redone. But I am afraid that it may never get published because the game stops working when I am fighting monsters in dungeons and outside dungeons. :( I suspect that it may have something to do with sound or spells or both. This happens with both old and new version of the merge. Help!
David

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 02 Jan 2022, 13:20

DaveHer wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 18:03 I finished doing merge redone. All three continents have been redone. But I am afraid that it may never get published because the game stops working when I am fighting monsters in dungeons and outside dungeons. :( I suspect that it may have something to do with sound or spells or both. This happens with both old and new version of the merge. Help!
You should be more specific about your installation and your changes. Crashes with monsters casting spells were present when you tried to apply MMPatch 2.5 on top of Comm or Revamp before 2022-01-02. Check this install guide: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install

PS. I have updated rodril-fixes, comm and revamp to pack 2021-12-27/MMPatch 2.5.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 02 Jan 2022, 17:48

cthscr wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 13:20
DaveHer wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 18:03 I finished doing merge redone. All three continents have been redone. But I am afraid that it may never get published because the game stops working when I am fighting monsters in dungeons and outside dungeons. :( I suspect that it may have something to do with sound or spells or both. This happens with both old and new version of the merge. Help!
You should be more specific about your installation and your changes. Crashes with monsters casting spells were present when you tried to apply MMPatch 2.5 on top of Comm or Revamp before 2022-01-02. Check this install guide: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install

PS. I have updated rodril-fixes, comm and revamp to pack 2021-12-27/MMPatch 2.5.
The new version was installed with nothing else installed. As you instructed above. The old version was installed with the patch and Rodril's fixes, as per instructions. I never used the other two. Thought that GrayFace patch 2.5.4 would fix the problem, since it fixed the monster blocking not working correctly, but it did not.
David Hernandez

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 03 Jan 2022, 03:03

@cthscr
To the merge I replaced hundreds of images with HD images. Hundreds of trees, plants, and flowers were added to the land scape. Additional trees, plants, and flowers were added to the game. I added over one hundred models. I added 21 additional quests. I add some lines to the lod files in the folder scripts/maps.
David Hernandez

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 03 Jan 2022, 14:18

@DaveHer
If issue still persist, could you upload your entire game folder somewhere and send me the link in direct message, so i can figure out, what exactly goes wrong there?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 03 Jan 2022, 16:20

Rodril wrote: 03 Jan 2022, 14:18 @DaveHer
If issue still persist, could you upload your entire game folder somewhere and send me the link in direct message, so i can figure out, what exactly goes wrong there?
Yes, the problem still exists. As soon as I up-load it to my goolge drive, I will have the link for you. Thank you very much for your help. :applause: It would be ashamed if it would not be available for everyone to play.
David Hernandez

Return to “Might and Magic”