Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Morkar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Unread postby Morkar » 22 Aug 2021, 16:22

Hi to all! Discovered that mod two weeks ago and istalled it. I'm using the community branch and I'm pretty impressed so far!
Finally being able to have a 5 character party and all classes and improvements available in MM6 is awesome. The full spectrum from all three fames creates an awesome gamerules system for races/classes. I got that urge for a party blobber and discovered the mod just at the right time.

Just playing around New Sorpigal and having a blast again. Spent some time reading about the Unlocker modification (which I'm using) and the changes that come with it in character creation. Never finished 6 the first time I played, mostly because I got it with 7 together and the character system felt more appealing to me there. Now I have three games to play. I'm looking forward to lots of hours full of adventure.

Can somebody tell me where best to report bugs? So far I got only a minor one; In the Goblin Watch the Code scroll has too many spaces (eng language) in it and therefore doesn't fit fully on the screen. I couldn't read everything written on it and had to rely on some try and error figuring out the door code.

Another question I have would be about modding and the new peasant class. At the moment this class seems a bit cheaty at the beginning. I can choose it and easily appoint a new class and getting 5K XP with the promotion. Is it possible to 1) cancel the XP bonus and 2) make some amount of either XP/level/skill level a requirement to switch the class?

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 23 Aug 2021, 04:57

Morkar wrote:Can somebody tell me where best to report bugs?
Also interested in this. This is what I've discovered so far (starting in MM6)

Cursor stuck in middle of screen & turning only possible by mouse (L/R only strafes), so can't check out any info on screen status, HP/SP, buffs etc. There’s also a head icon in lower right above map & can’t access that either so no idea what it does

Hirelings disappear: passive benefits such as Scholar ID Item seem to work, although can’t see how to access things like Gate Master Town Portal, or speak to NPCs that join for various quests, or to swap hirelings (esp important for MM6 with the Carpenter and Stonecutter)

Options to buy membership in Blades End & Buccaneers Lair don’t trigger in New Sorpigal, but they seem to be available without membership anyway

Sale price of any item in any shop only 1gp regardless of Merchant skill. In fact, Merchant skill in general seems bugged: prices quoted are higher than the "base" price - so the script will be "I normally sell for 800gp, but you drive a hard bargain, I'll only charge you 1,128 gp"!!!
Last edited by Ossie on 23 Aug 2021, 07:29, edited 3 times in total.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 23 Aug 2021, 10:44

Ossie wrote:Cursor stuck in middle of screen & turning only possible by mouse (L/R only strafes), so can't check out any info on screen status, HP/SP, buffs etc. There’s also a head icon in lower right above map & can’t access that either so no idea what it does
This is "Mouselook Mode", it assumes WASD controls. Press caps lock to disable it temporarily, or set MouseLook=0 in mm8.ini
Hirelings disappear: passive benefits such as Scholar ID Item seem to work, although can’t see how to access things like Gate Master Town Portal, or speak to NPCs that join for various quests, or to swap hirelings (esp important for MM6 with the Carpenter and Stonecutter)
You should see a little head icon over by the minimap. This is the hirelings interface when you're in HW mode.
Sale price of any item in any shop only 1gp regardless of Merchant skill. In fact, Merchant skill in general seems bugged: prices quoted are higher than the "base" price - so the script will be "I normally sell for 800gp, but you drive a hard bargain, I'll only charge you 1,128 gp"!!!
Check your reputation - MM7+ adjust the merchant skill's effect based on reputation, MM6 has an early -200 REP quest, and the magnitude of effect is a lot different.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 23 Aug 2021, 15:24

raekuul wrote:MM6 has an early -200 REP quest, and the magnitude of effect is a lot different.
In both Revamp and Comm reputation effect is divided by 40, so -200 rep will turn, say, 90 gold into 94. Rodril in latest patch has rewritten original event reputation values, reducing them 20 times iirc. (That change is ignored in Revamp/Comm as both useless there and incorrect number-wise.)
Wrong merchant line usage is a long-standing bug, probably based on the absence of negative reputation in MM8.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 23 Aug 2021, 21:41

raekuul wrote:
Ossie wrote:Cursor stuck in middle of screen & turning only possible by mouse (L/R only strafes), so can't check out any info on screen status, HP/SP, buffs etc. There’s also a head icon in lower right above map & can’t access that either so no idea what it does
This is "Mouselook Mode", it assumes WASD controls. Press caps lock to disable it temporarily, or set MouseLook=0 in mm8.ini
You should see a little head icon over by the minimap. This is the hirelings interface when you're in HW mode.
Check your reputation - MM7+ adjust the merchant skill's effect based on reputation, MM6 has an early -200 REP quest, and the magnitude of effect is a lot different.
Thanks raekuul, all of those were perfectly correct. Remaining potential bugs:

* Sorcerers cannot buy Dagger skill (in Buccaneers' Lair at least, haven't checked the other locations yet). I started characters as Peasants & changed to Sorcerer - because Sorcerers are supposed to start with Dagger, there seems to be no option for them to subsequently purchase
* Options to buy membership in Blades End & Buccaneers Lair don’t trigger in New Sorpigal, but they seem to be available without membership anyway
* Can hire up to four NPCs - is this intentional?
Last edited by Ossie on 23 Aug 2021, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 24 Aug 2021, 12:00

* Sorcerers cannot buy Dagger skill (in Buccaneers' Lair at least, haven't checked the other locations yet). I started characters as Peasants & changed to Sorcerer - because Sorcerers are supposed to start with Dagger, there seems to be no option for them to subsequently purchase
* Options to buy membership in Blades End & Buccaneers Lair don’t trigger in New Sorpigal, but they seem to be available without membership anyway
* Can hire up to four NPCs - is this intentional?
1. Weaponskills are bought in weaponshops now, similar to MM7-8, not all weaponskills can be bought in any weaponshop however, you need to look around.

2. You dont need to be members to access those guilds anymore.

3. Yes it is.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 25 Aug 2021, 04:13

OK I've played vanilla MM6 dozens of times, but I've never run into this problem - I seem to have accumulated a -3,000 reputation. No idea how it got that bad - I've not attacked a peasant (even accidentally), but right from the start, guards in towns were attacking me, and fighting back seems to count the same as attacking peasants. I've completed several early quests & it's still terrible. It's killing me because I have no money because I can't sell anything for more than 1gp! Is this already unrecoverable with the way the merge mod works?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 25 Aug 2021, 05:23

thats probably due the candelabra-quest from new sorpigal inn - you get negative reputation early
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 25 Aug 2021, 08:00

justl wrote:thats probably due the candelabra-quest from new sorpigal inn - you get negative reputation early
So the guards in New Sorpigal were hostile right from the start of the game, & dropped rep when attacked. Guards in Mist & Blackshire were also immediately hostile. Even killing Cannibals close to peasants in Bootleg Bay dropped rep (& turned the peasants hostile when too close). Def seems to be a glitch in rep scripting.

Completed the Shadow Guild & Silver Helm quests & didn't increase my rep by a single point. Am I actually ever able to recover? Donating multiple times only moves the needle by low hundreds after thousands of gp donations - I remember this effectively resetting your rep to Average in vanilla
Last edited by Ossie on 25 Aug 2021, 14:03, edited 6 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 25 Aug 2021, 17:25

Ossie wrote:
justl wrote:thats probably due the candelabra-quest from new sorpigal inn - you get negative reputation early
So the guards in New Sorpigal were hostile right from the start of the game, & dropped rep when attacked. Guards in Mist & Blackshire were also immediately hostile. Even killing Cannibals close to peasants in Bootleg Bay dropped rep (& turned the peasants hostile when too close). Def seems to be a glitch in rep scripting.

Completed the Shadow Guild & Silver Helm quests & didn't increase my rep by a single point. Am I actually ever able to recover? Donating multiple times only moves the needle by low hundreds after thousands of gp donations - I remember this effectively resetting your rep to Average in vanilla
first another question:
did you go healing at a temple of baa somewhere? donating there also drops rep

i tried one thing lately:
got to a normal city temple and note your reputation number. use cheat engine to find that number, donate 1/2/3 times and everytime look the new number up in cheatengine - when you get the right memory coords - you can simple put it to 0
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 25 Aug 2021, 18:43

justl wrote: i tried one thing lately:
got to a normal city temple and note your reputation number. use cheat engine to find that number, donate 1/2/3 times and everytime look the new number up in cheatengine - when you get the right memory coords - you can simple put it to 0
Or just use

Code: Select all

evt.Set("Reputation", 0)
in console (ctrl + F1 or alt + F1 (can't remember) to open, ctrl + enter to execute script), assuming it works (it worked for me last time I used it).
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 26 Aug 2021, 10:28

cthscr wrote: Gold is mon.Items[3] with mon.Items[3].Bonus2 being an amount. See also events PickCorpse and CastTelepathy.
Do you know how to use events.PickCorpse?
https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/ref/# ... PickCorpse

PickCorpse{
  Allow
  CallDefault = function()
  Monster
  MonsterIndex
}
(Allow should probably be AllowDefault)

Let's say we want to pick all corpses in the current map, obviously, the code will be like:

for _, mon in Map.Monsters do
  if mon.HP == 0 then
    [...]
  end
end
What should be the code in [...]?

I tried to assign mon as argument Monster of events.PickCorpse(), or somehow obtain MonsterIndex, but no success

ikusame
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ikusame » 29 Aug 2021, 23:39

So, new to Might and Magic and this seems to be a good starting point for people like me.

A bit overwhelming though, which of the three games is typically a better starting point?

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 30 Aug 2021, 01:41

ikusame wrote:So, new to Might and Magic and this seems to be a good starting point for people like me.

A bit overwhelming though, which of the three games is typically a better starting point?
Quite discussable question.

Personally, I prefer Jadame (MM8), as you can immediately dispose of the Adventurer's Inn in that starting map (Dagger Wound Island) as well as some free recruits to manage if you will. Although the island can be TOTALLY deadly if you get no idea what its dangers are and how they behave (¡this might be a good reason to avoid Jadame as a starting place to start with!). Beware of volcano bombs, pirate ships' cannon fire, pirate gangs spawning near pirate transport ships, water drawning of course and... a particular dungeon trap... I can only recommend starting in Jadame to a fresh player, if he/she is ready for a plausible set of frustrations; but the positive outcomes can be quite nice though.

In my opinion, starting in Antagarich (MM7) tends to set the player into a slower, more peaceful pace of development (unless one's got a very special idea about this). I think it might be the most modest and/or 'friendly' beggining (¡you're in a vacation!), even though there is a bigger danger on Emerald Island than just Dragonflies' hunting... --¡not to mention that you can explode yourself with a cannon explosion!

On the other hand, starting in Enroth (MM6) can (technically) lead to nearly instant/guarantied riches and travel-utility abilities --but this is savvy in-game knowledge thing; I'd spoil only if you ask... as if one couldn't make one's own research ;) . It is certainly the most overpowerful solution if you know some of the MM6 old tricks of the trade; but it's a bit 'cheasy' to be honest --that's why I personally prefer to start in Jadame (and I'm fan of the Adventurer's Inn). Anyways, New Sorpigal in itself is a pretty decent, modest and fairly easy place to start on a big adventure... so, UNLESS you are trying to do something a bit more radical, it should be safe enough... I guess.
Last edited by Kinox on 30 Aug 2021, 02:04, edited 5 times in total.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 30 Aug 2021, 04:32

ikusame wrote:A bit overwhelming though, which of the three games is typically a better starting point?
I'd say it depends on what party composition you want to take through. All race options are available from all three games, but the only classes available are those from your starting world (ie those that originally existed in whatever game world you start in). Races can be nifty and add some unique colour to your party, but the classes are what actually make your party. Overall, I'd pick the game that had the class structure you like the most, and start in that world - noting that some "imported" races can only choose certain classes if you bring them into a "different" world.

The race options in MM6/7 really only changed your starting base stats - something that is only useful in early game & quickly gets overtaken by buffs & how you develop your characters. The race options in MM8 had the unique skills - Dark Elf, Troll, Vampire, Dragon (and Minotaur, although I don't remember any Minotaur unique skill). Your best bet is to start a new game in each world and cycle through the class/race options available in the character creation screen, to get a sense for what's possible in each starting world.

Ps from what I have seen so far, teachers to upgrade the unique race skills are only available in the "native" game world.
Last edited by Ossie on 30 Aug 2021, 05:25, edited 2 times in total.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 30 Aug 2021, 10:22

ikusame wrote:Which of the three games is typically a better starting point?
If I'm making a customized party, I personally prefer to start with Enroth (Might and Magic 6). It has the most "open" of the worlds; it has the easiest access to Grandmaster Water magic, requiring only two promotion quests (technically Jadame has "faster" access since Necromancers get Master Water for free and only need one promotion for GM Water, but the quest necessary is much more difficult); the jump points are both easily accessible and comparatively peaceful; the dungeons are actually fun and you have access to "neutral" path High Priests and Archmagi (get both Light and Dark magic to Master level). The main drawback to an Enroth start is the monster fill philosophy - MM6's idea of difficult was "wade through a literal army of monsters" and was actually balanced around its game-breaking end-game equipment, and MMMerge gave those monsters even more abilities to harrass you with, so you're in for a Bad Time once you reach late-game.

If I'm playing "Might and Magic 8 but with three times the content" I start in Jadame... and then make my way to Enroth once I'm about a third of the way done. I prefer to use what the game gives me (the MM8 storyline requires you at separate points to take on a Troll PC and a Cleric PC, both of whom are considered lackluster by the community at large and generally get dumped as soon as their requisite quests are complete, but in the context of MMMerge they're actually pretty good characters once you build them up... in Enroth) and MM8 gives you access to some of the more broken abilities earlier on. The early game is a bit rough but other than that isn't terribly bad. If you want to start with one of the "Monstrous" classes (Vampire, Dark Elf, Troll, Minotaur), you basically do need to start in Jadame. I find the dungeons in MM8 to be fairly uninteresting, but they're mostly relegated to sidequests (with one exception, the dungeons you are required to visit are actually pretty fun).

If for some reason I want to play as a Ranger, Monk, or Thief (this happens more often than you'd expect) then I'm basically railroaded into an Anagarich Start. It's actually a pretty chill start, but unless you take on a hireling you're not going to hop continents until late-game (Master Water Magic is gated by an annoying quest and an even more frustrating dungeon run, while Grandmaster Water Magic is gated by story progression), and by that point you're basically steamrolling the other two games even with default bolster settings. MM7 has the same kind of game-breaking end-game equipment as MM6 but the monster fill philosophy is more "modern" so this is probably the easiest of the three continents to complete.
Last edited by raekuul on 30 Aug 2021, 10:41, edited 5 times in total.

konva
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby konva » 30 Aug 2021, 16:28

Hello all, does the "starting" game affect mechanisms? Like spells, classess available or skills availability like druid gm alchemy in mm7?

konva
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby konva » 30 Aug 2021, 16:55

Hello, im interested in this project, but got some questions. How in overrall is choice of start game affected all other aspects, like classess, skill availability like in MM7, when GM alchemy can have only druids? How about spells, we know spells are bit different in MM7 than MM6. For example bless. In MM6 it affect whole party at master spirit, and in mm7 it affect at expert. Another thing is different spells for players with magic schools in MM6 and MM7?

konva
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby konva » 30 Aug 2021, 18:27

I tried it few mins. Created party of 4, and next follower joins party, but how could I find more hirelings? I tried to hire more, it deduct gold but where i can find all hirelings?

Morkar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Morkar » 30 Aug 2021, 18:38

konva wrote:Hello, im interested in this project, but got some questions. How in overrall is choice of start game affected all other aspects, like classess, skill availability like in MM7, when GM alchemy can have only druids? How about spells, we know spells are bit different in MM7 than MM6. For example bless. In MM6 it affect whole party at master spirit, and in mm7 it affect at expert. Another thing is different spells for players with magic schools in MM6 and MM7?
Basically the spells and rule system is from MM8. The classes are restricted on which continent you start. But you can choose a mod file (Unlocker) which makes all classes available to all races. Even if a bit outdated you can look also at this helpful document for more infos: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xf4 ... 2hj16j5i7i

Return to “Might and Magic”