Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 03.06.2021]

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 28 Jun 2021, 01:28

Hello, can someone please help me with the debug console, it keeps popping up all the time and become so annoying.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 28 Jun 2021, 04:50

phamlongtuan wrote:Hello, can someone please help me with the debug console, it keeps popping up all the time and become so annoying.
you probably have a faulty installation, did you do it the described way from page 1?
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 28 Jun 2021, 18:26

hi,

bit of a vanilla mm7 thing again:
first time you exit the tunnels from mount nighon to eoful you get the blaster from archibald.
when doing the "defeat devils and rescue roland" quest (archibald has gotten exiled from the pit and moved to clankers lab) you get the same telepathic message and another blaster (i do the light side in this run, no idea if it pops up in the dark side run too tbh)

justl
Last edited by justl on 28 Jun 2021, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 29 Jun 2021, 09:22

hi,

another predetermined/-positioned wand with no charges found - this time in the land of giants
position is a bit north of colony zod

justl
Last edited by justl on 29 Jun 2021, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 29 Jun 2021, 09:25

Hello. Almost half year ago assets for genie character were created by Echo, GDSpectra and Jmaster, but it still is not implemented into base merge. How do you think it should be added? I see two options: make it as selectable charater at start of the game or make it as quest-obtainable character (like black dragon). If you have ideas for quest, post it, please.
phamlongtuan wrote:Hello, can someone please help me with the debug console, it keeps popping up all the time and become so annoying.
Please, send me text, debug console shows.
Echo wrote:Also, another question, I guess (could be wrong) it'd be somewhere in the UI.txt, but I've failed to find it - what and where should I flip to make NPC side-panel be unfolded by default (and folded upon clicking). I kinda miss seeing their mugs all the time and they hide whenever I travel :tongue: .
That behaivor is not supported currently. To implement this, "NPCFollowers.lua" script should be edited, i'll check if it can be done till next update.
Last edited by Rodril on 29 Jun 2021, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Jun 2021, 10:16

raekuul wrote:
cthscr wrote:
Echo wrote:Also, speaking of reputation, I killed a peasant on Emerald Island by accident and it only gave me -1 reputation with nobody really getting mad. Is that intended?
Same as in MM7. Intended.
Except that in Unmodded MM7 the guards do become hostile if you attack their civilians (even in Nighon, where the guards would randomly kill their own civilians). Guard Hostility was not linked to your reputation so much as to your conduct.
Oh, the latter is obviously a bug. But I don't think I did something to bring it, and it's present in Base Merge as well.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Jun 2021, 11:15

Echo wrote:Would probably be best to just unify it across all 3 games. Same threshold for guard hostility, same + for quests, - for crimes, temple costs. No?
While we have Enroth with [decreasing] global continent reputation and Antagarich with [non-decreasing] per-map reputation, setting the same thresholds is highly disputable. Jadame with its almost absent reputation will only increase disputability.

Anyway, for all: never ever scale bigger range on a smaller one if you can do the opposite.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 29 Jun 2021, 14:57

So, I played merge a lot a few months ago, and accumulated quite a bit of bugs, mostly small ones. Most are specific for merge, but enchant item one probably is also in vanilla.
  • Yaardrake's cave has entrance text of MM7 barrows.
  • Chapel of Eep (Ravenshore) has entrance text of MM7 bandit caverns.
  • Church of Eep (Ravage Roaming) has entrance text of MM7 haunted mansion.
  • MM7 locations above have no entrance text (?).
  • Zanthora's Lab has wrong music (should be 16.wav).
  • Morcarack's Cave has wrong music (should be 18.wav).
  • School of Sorcery has wrong music (should be 34.wav).
  • Wromthrax's Cave has wrong music (should be 18.wav).
  • boy giving information about scavenger hunt says "lords". Is this intended? Yeah, I know other mm7 places also say "lords", but this boy is only before winning scavenger hunt, so it can be fixed easily.
  • Oozes from MM7 don't seem to drop ooze endoplasm anymore.
  • Zokarr's Axe and Headsman's Poleaxe inventory sprites are shifted few pixels despite being the same.
  • Message scrolls (e.g. Bill of Sale) have no line breaks (everything is one huge wall of text).
  • Promotion quest text for Sniper isn't displayed.
  • Lich jars in Walls of Mist appear even when you are on light path.
  • town portal always works, while in vanilla M&M it had 10% chance of working per point of skill - this is intended AFAIK
  • using enchant item scroll after opening chest and going into inventory while in chest screen breaks the game: interface becomes black and escape to go into menu doesn't work while enemies still can attack; hard restart needed
  • altar of luck in mm6 temple of the moon gave only +2 luck to first character, all others got +5
  • human necromancer +1 misc skills mod: after becoming lich meditation goes from GM to M
  • mm6 reputation is wonky - has too high effects on buy/sell prices, making game too easy (or too hard if you do wrong things).
  • community branch fixes/rodril patched - no option to change interface/gamma
Some of them might be already fixed, so sorry if I repeated something already fixed.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 Jun 2021, 15:54

Eksekk wrote:using enchant item scroll after opening chest and going into inventory while in chest screen breaks the game: interface becomes black and escape to go into menu doesn't work while enemies still can attack; hard restart needed
Same if used in Adv. Inn, though Esc works for me. Still might crash on some screen change (according to my previous experiences with another bug). Using scroll outside game screen wasn't an option in MM8.
Eksekk wrote:mm6 reputation is wonky - has too high effects on buy/sell prices, making game too easy (or too hard if you do wrong things).
Details are lacked. Comm has 0.025 multiplier to reputation trade effect in Enroth by default.
Eksekk wrote:community branch fixes/rodril patched - no option to change interface/gamma
Gamma wasn't supported since at least 2020-07-12 in Base Merge. Interface change (MM6/MM7, right?) was disabled by Rodril and reenabled in 2021-05-11 pack together with applying fix by CkNoSFeRaTU from Comm Merge.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 30 Jun 2021, 14:24

cthscr wrote:Details are lacked. Comm has 0.025 multiplier to reputation trade effect in Enroth by default.
Idk about details, when I played base Merge (and I mainly played base, so iirc all of these bugs are from base) reputation in MM6 was fucked up. Maybe Comm fixed it, if so thank you for all the work you put into improving this game and this merge even though main author was absent.
cthscr wrote:Interface change (MM6/MM7, right?)
Yeah.
Last edited by Eksekk on 30 Jun 2021, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 30 Jun 2021, 19:06

(somewhere along the line I hit a keyboard shortcut to log out of the forums, so apparently that's still a thing)

1) 5% bolster. Does this still disable stat bolstering while also enabling additional spells for monsters?
2) Is it normal for the game to reset bolster to 100% on reloading after closing the game?
3) How do I get the status bar to be on top of the characters bar instead of at the top of the game window, again? (Or probably better, is there a guide to the StatusbarPlace setting for mm8.ini?)

EDIT:
4) How do I make a Peasant into a not-Peasant?
Last edited by raekuul on 30 Jun 2021, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 01 Jul 2021, 13:31

raekuul wrote: 3) How do I get the status bar to be on top of the characters bar instead of at the top of the game window, again? (Or probably better, is there a guide to the StatusbarPlace setting for mm8.ini?)

EDIT:
4) How do I make a Peasant into a not-Peasant?
3) I moved the statusbar to be on top of portraits. These are my mm8.ini statusbar settings if it helps:

[UILayout=UI]
StatusbarScale=0
StatusbarPlace=0
HideStatusbar=1
ShrinkStatusbar=1

4) I haven't done it, but I've heard it's with NPCs where you train specific skills -> like sword or something for Knight and such.

~~~

As for monster abilities, personally, I'd love an option to just enabled them all from the get go :tongue: I don't like the idea of bolstering HP, but making them nastier by giving them more skills sounds sweet. And they should be able to slap my lvl 5 team with them as well, if I go places unprepared :tongue:

I plan on making some edited monster tables adding all of the abilities to them as baseline :-D
Last edited by Echo on 01 Jul 2021, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 01 Jul 2021, 15:12

Rodril wrote:Hello. Almost half year ago assets for genie character were created by Echo, GDSpectra and Jmaster, but it still is not implemented into base merge. How do you think it should be added? I see two options: make it as selectable charater at start of the game or make it as quest-obtainable character (like black dragon). If you have ideas for quest, post it, please.
Since it's just 1 genie and only a female, might be a little weird as a selectable character? Unless nobody cares about the lack of parity, in which case just throw it in :tongue:

deltaco1023
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby deltaco1023 » 01 Jul 2021, 15:41

Ok, has the well in land of giants been nerfed? If it has how would one "fix" it. I have found a relevant script (out12.lua--on the decompiled page for mmeditor) which references said well, but it's not included in the main mod...as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated :)

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 01 Jul 2021, 19:08

Delete from file everything not relating to well's event (205), and put it into scripts/maps. From there you can modify its behavior (or modify nothing to restore default behavior).
Last edited by Eksekk on 02 Jul 2021, 07:42, edited 3 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jul 2021, 19:20

cthscr wrote:
raekuul wrote:
cthscr wrote: Same as in MM7. Intended.
Except that in Unmodded MM7 the guards do become hostile if you attack their civilians (even in Nighon, where the guards would randomly kill their own civilians). Guard Hostility was not linked to your reputation so much as to your conduct.
Oh, the latter is obviously a bug. But I don't think I did something to bring it, and it's present in Base Merge as well.
Actually, guard do become hostile in Merge if you attack their civilans. It's just that their civilans are only one kind of peasants (and that is the exact bug).
Function 0x4386A3 (I'd call it AreMonstersAllies [params: ecx,edx - map monsters pointers]) is just stupid... Well, it's MM7 legacy changed the laziest way possible. Fun fact: map monsters are allies if they are of the same monster kind unless their Ally field is different.
Anyway, workaround (not proper fix) for Emerald Island (and other MM7 maps with human peasants):

Code: Select all

for k, mon in Map.Monsters do
  if mon.Id > 351 and mon.Id < 367 then
    mon.Ally = 117
  end
end
Maybe I should make negative Ally to check for monster Group instead of kind.
Last edited by cthscr on 01 Jul 2021, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jul 2021, 19:51

deltaco1023 wrote:Ok, has the well in land of giants been nerfed? If it has how would one "fix" it. I have found a relevant script (out12.lua--on the decompiled page for mmeditor) which references said well, but it's not included in the main mod...as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated :)
Which one of two wells? How did you check its work? Events seem to be the same in MM7 and Merge.

deltaco1023
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby deltaco1023 » 01 Jul 2021, 20:58

The well by Lasiters house, the one you used to be able to abuse for Skill points, xp and Gold. :). I Mean it works, but not as effectively as it used to, maybe I'm not remembering it very well though.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jul 2021, 21:07

Rewards are the same, and chances should be the same. Pray to your local RNGod.

deltaco1023
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby deltaco1023 » 01 Jul 2021, 21:45

In original MM7 did the well cost 5000gp to use, maybe that's what I don't remember or is different.

Return to “Might and Magic”