Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 03.06.2021]

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Jun 2021, 22:52

Broken feature report: reputation works a bit weird in Enroth, at least the beginning of it. You don't get any positive rep for the New Sorpigal quests, but you get -200 for returning the candelabrum to Potbello (clearly a leftover from MM6's system that scaled from -1000 to 1000). The reputation values probably need to be looked at comprehensively.

Reputation definitely works best in the MM7 portion of the game, though even there you don't get negative rep for killing peasants or guards, while you do get it from pickpocketing for instance. Feels like the three games still have separate systems for it. Any idea if those mechanics are adjustable via some text file, or would you have to mess with the game's code?

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 25 Jun 2021, 06:18

Xfing wrote:Broken feature report: reputation works a bit weird in Enroth, at least the beginning of it. You don't get any positive rep for the New Sorpigal quests, but you get -200 for returning the candelabrum to Potbello (clearly a leftover from MM6's system that scaled from -1000 to 1000). The reputation values probably need to be looked at comprehensively.

Reputation definitely works best in the MM7 portion of the game, though even there you don't get negative rep for killing peasants or guards, while you do get it from pickpocketing for instance. Feels like the three games still have separate systems for it. Any idea if those mechanics are adjustable via some text file, or would you have to mess with the game's code?
The new is now considered as consequences based, its nice touch from point of view.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 25 Jun 2021, 10:22

Xfing wrote:Broken feature report: reputation works a bit weird in Enroth, at least the beginning of it. You don't get any positive rep for the New Sorpigal quests, but you get -200 for returning the candelabrum to Potbello (clearly a leftover from MM6's system that scaled from -1000 to 1000). The reputation values probably need to be looked at comprehensively.
For reference, the wikia page lists all quests and reputation rewards. And I was "complaining" about this a couple pages back with that crossbow at a 3000% markup as a consequence of not blowing up the planet.

The MM6 reputation rewards pretty much need to be centimated at the very least (so that Andover Potbello's quest gives -2 REP and not -200). It sounds like this process was started but not finished since under the MM8 scaling you should have about +1 REP after completing the other New Sorpigal quests.

EDIT: Where's that list of Verdant quests?
Last edited by raekuul on 25 Jun 2021, 10:39, edited 4 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 25 Jun 2021, 11:28

hi,

a suggestion this time (for the future, no must have atm):

since there are way more artifacts/relics to find than you can wear / stash away - could there be put some more "special chests" (like those 2 throne room in harmondale castle or the 3 in the a ravenshore guild) into the game?
at a certain point in the game your inventory is overflooded with unused but also unstashable items (and no, i dont wanna throw them away or sell them ...).

justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jun 2021, 15:34

Noob detected :D. You do get positive rep in NS for Goblinwatch for example (+50). Most of other quests here didn't give rep reward in MM6. And almost all of Enroth quests use MM6 reputation values (and it should be that way).
I know you prefer not to look into issue tracker (and report already known bugs here [not a bad thing per se though]) but there is 'reputation' label that allows to see all issues related to reputation.
Xfing wrote:Reputation definitely works best in the MM7 portion of the game, though even there you don't get negative rep for killing peasants or guards, while you do get it from pickpocketing for instance. Feels like the three games still have separate systems for it. Any idea if those mechanics are adjustable via some text file, or would you have to mess with the game's code?
Killing peasants reduce your reputation in Comm Merge so that means Rodril hasn't copied everything properly. As for reputation adjusting, for most things it's only possible in Revamp. Comm Branch has some settings in 'Data/Tables/Continent settings.txt' but not all of them work.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 25 Jun 2021, 16:23

What is the "Revamp"? Is there somewhere I can read about what it does exactly? I saw it in the files, but left it alone since I had no clue.

Sorry for asking billion questions, the documentation is so grand for this thing it's extremely easy to get turned around.

I converted the cool MM7 assets from the Chinese Mod to work in the merge if anyone liked them though, so I guess take it as a repayment for being a pest :9

As for quests - if you like, in my Modling topic I posted a Merge-friendly version of my old druid circlet quest. It's very simple, but gives use to the unused MM8 asset and a dungeon. Feel free to take it (maybe change the reward if Lucky Hat is too much, idk, I think it's useless in most cases but fits neatly as a cosmetic-ish reward).

(would need changing the item name in Items too if one wanted to be pedantic, but definitely not necessary, it's quite clear what the deal is)
Last edited by Echo on 25 Jun 2021, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 25 Jun 2021, 17:18

cthscr wrote:and almost all of Enroth quests use MM6 reputation values (and it should be that way).
Disagree - guard hostility AI triggers somewhere around -10 reputation. If nothing else it needs to be considered in light of the fact that guards will attack you on sight just for getting an old candle holder out of an abandoned building.

Also it does impact the temple donation markup as well as the shop markup - donations cost exponentially more at -3000 rep vs -300 for the same negligible change to reputation. (It's still relatively trivial to fix if you know where the return portal from Dragonsand is, but it's the difference between dodging dragons ten times vs dodging them twice)
Last edited by raekuul on 25 Jun 2021, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jun 2021, 18:42

Echo wrote:What is the "Revamp"? Is there somewhere I can read about what it does exactly? I saw it in the files, but left it alone since I had no clue.
'master' branch of my mmmerge repo. Forked from Comm Merge with a distant aim to get more balanced game settings and implement some features of MM3-MM5. Differences from Comm (updated one, from 'comm' branch of my repo): MM3 race modifiers for HP/SP (base and per level); reputation (settings, daily reduction in Enroth); neutral tier2 classes in Enroth instead of good ones from Antagarich and those light/dark sorcerer and cleric promotions; [requested but not used yet] ability to set skill level and mastery of the spell scroll.
ModSetting.txt table that should allow mods to enable/disable different hooks (a lot work ahead).
Having it 'as close to vanilla as possible' isn't a goal with default settings. Though Revamp should have more possibilities to have mod (from Extra/ directory) closer to vanilla than in Comm or Base.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jun 2021, 18:59

raekuul wrote:
cthscr wrote:and almost all of Enroth quests use MM6 reputation values (and it should be that way).
Disagree - guard hostility AI triggers somewhere around -10 reputation. If nothing else it needs to be considered in light of the fact that guards will attack you on sight just for getting an old candle holder out of an abandoned building.

Also it does impact the temple donation markup as well as the shop markup - donations cost exponentially more at -3000 rep vs -300 for the same negligible change to reputation. (It's still relatively trivial to fix if you know where the return portal from Dragonsand is, but it's the difference between dodging dragons ten times vs dodging them twice)
You have never tested it in Comm Merge [since Jan 2021], right?
Guard hostility was hardcoded by Rodril at -25; is a setting in Comm with default value of -200 for Enroth (in Base it is boolean setting - enabled or not; Revamp has -1000 as default).
I didn't like Rodril decision on donation cost, so it has less raising formula in Comm. With different multiplicator settings. And with different change in reputation (depending on continent). And with different spells casted depending on reputation (value or rank) and continent. See vanilla MM7 and MM8.
Last edited by cthscr on 25 Jun 2021, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 25 Jun 2021, 20:00

I'll need to go back through the MM6 story again, then. I transitioned to Comm Merge shortly after uncorking Archibald, which would have been no later than 2021-06-11 (when I successfully installed it), so I never actually got to see the Comm Merge's changes to reputation.

I still think changing the quest reputation rewards is a better change than setting Enroth to have different thresholds; -25 is actually hard to reach in MM7/MM8 without either being on the opposing side or actively attacking regional noncombatants.

Semi-related: I'm working on a checklist of all quests; which file do I poke to find quest data?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jun 2021, 22:13

raekuul wrote:I still think changing the quest reputation rewards is a better change than setting Enroth to have different thresholds; -25 is actually hard to reach in MM7/MM8 without either being on the opposing side or actively attacking regional noncombatants.
That's irrelevant because guards can be hostile in Enroth only. (Enabling this feature automatically enables global reputation in Base Merge. I tried to get rid of this but the work isn't finished.)
On the other hand reputation daily reduction by 1% with minimum 1 won't be as good for 50 as it is for 1000 in terms of days amount.
raekuul wrote:Semi-related: I'm working on a checklist of all quests; which file do I poke to find quest data?
That's hard to answer because there are no quests in MM6-8 as a technical structure. There are multiple events, they are stored encoded in *.evt in Data/*.T.lod. (Every NPC dialog line is an event as well.)
GrayFace's MMExtension adds Quest function which creates a set of events for what we can call quest. Those are usually in Scripts/Global/*.lua
If vanilla event is rewritten by Merge, you can find event replacement in Scripts/Global/*.lua for global events and in Scripts/Maps/*.lua for map event.
There are qbits aka quest bits (with descriptions) in quests.txt from Data/mmmerge.T.lod
Last edited by cthscr on 25 Jun 2021, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 25 Jun 2021, 22:15

cthscr wrote:
raekuul wrote: That's irrelevant because guards can be hostile in Enroth only. (Enabling this feature automatically enables global reputation in Base Merge. I tried to get rid of this but the work isn't finished.)
On the other hand reputation daily reduction by 1% with minimum 1 won't be as good for 50 as it is for 1000 in terms of days amount.
Where do you change all these little settings? :|

Also, speaking of reputation, I killed a peasant on Emerald Island by accident and it only gave me -1 reputation with nobody really getting mad. Is that intended?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Jun 2021, 22:29

Echo wrote:Where do you change all these little settings? :|
'Data/Tables/Continent settings.txt' in Comm.
'Data/Tables/Reputation.txt' in Revamp.
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/ ... _483026223
I hope to force myself to write documentation for all these Data/Tables/ fields for Revamp at least. Somewhen.
Echo wrote:Also, speaking of reputation, I killed a peasant on Emerald Island by accident and it only gave me -1 reputation with nobody really getting mad. Is that intended?
Same as in MM7. Intended.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Jun 2021, 23:16

Yeah, the Goblinwatch quest did give 50 rep, I hadn't completed it yet when making that comment though. But don't know if it's such a good idea to keep MM6 quest reputations intact. -200 is not the same as it was in mm6 - it takes 200 donations to clear it and it's way past the threshold for the "Hated" reputation, which in mm7 and 8 is the worst one possible. I agree with Raekuul that centimation might be a good idea, though it also depends on whether the reputation is global for the whole continent or restricted to areas. Even in MM7 it was very difficult to get "Liked" in every region.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 25 Jun 2021, 23:27

Would probably be best to just unify it across all 3 games. Same threshold for guard hostility, same + for quests, - for crimes, temple costs. No?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2021, 00:19

Echo wrote:Would probably be best to just unify it across all 3 games. Same threshold for guard hostility, same + for quests, - for crimes, temple costs. No?
Obviously.

Well, the thresholds are currently unified, you're just not really getting or losing rep for the same stuff and in the same amounts across the 3 games.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 26 Jun 2021, 10:50

I just had a weird cool thing happen and I have to know if it was a freak coincidence or a feature, lol. I was exploring Tularean forest for the first visit and checked city hall - they had bounty on Mercenary. And a moment later there was a mercenary storming the city.

I am checking out the MM7 refilled so it's a possibility he was around and just made his way there or something, hence why wondering if could be a freak coincidence :D But if a hunt monster actually spawned on the map causing trouble, that's really cool lol.
Last edited by Echo on 26 Jun 2021, 12:20, edited 2 times in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Jun 2021, 12:17

Echo wrote:I just had a weird cool thing happen and I have to know if it was a freak coincidence or a feature, lol. I was exploring Tularean forest for the first visit and checked city hall - they had bounty on Mercenary. And a moment later there was a mercenary storming the city.

I am checking out the MM7 refilled so it's a possibility he was around and just made his way there or something, hence why wondering if could be a freak coincidence :D But if a hunt monster actually spawned on the map causing trouble, that's really cool lol.
It's an intended mechanic that bounty hunts spawn one unit of the corresponding enemy.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 26 Jun 2021, 12:21

Phobos wrote:
Echo wrote:I just had a weird cool thing happen and I have to know if it was a freak coincidence or a feature, lol. I was exploring Tularean forest for the first visit and checked city hall - they had bounty on Mercenary. And a moment later there was a mercenary storming the city.

It's an intended mechanic that bounty hunts spawn one unit of the corresponding enemy.

That is very cool :-D Makes a lot of sense! Before that it was

"Ye, see, we're having trouble with a warlock here in Harmondale, pls kill".
"Ok. Where da warlock at then?"
"Uh idk, somewhere in Nighon probably?"

Also, another question, I guess (could be wrong) it'd be somewhere in the UI.txt, but I've failed to find it - what and where should I flip to make NPC side-panel be unfolded by default (and folded upon clicking). I kinda miss seeing their mugs all the time and they hide whenever I travel :tongue: .

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 26 Jun 2021, 15:03

cthscr wrote:
Echo wrote:Also, speaking of reputation, I killed a peasant on Emerald Island by accident and it only gave me -1 reputation with nobody really getting mad. Is that intended?
Same as in MM7. Intended.
Except that in Unmodded MM7 the guards do become hostile if you attack their civilians (even in Nighon, where the guards would randomly kill their own civilians). Guard Hostility was not linked to your reputation so much as to your conduct.
Last edited by raekuul on 26 Jun 2021, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”