Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
justl
Demon
Demon

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 03.06.2021]

Unread postby justl » 22 Jun 2021, 20:52

Rodril wrote:
justl wrote:still crashing without change of comp-mod --> which mode do you suggest using? atm i have w95 comp-mode active
Try to put this into your "Scripts\Modules" folder, replacing existing, i think, it should fix the thing: https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge/-/r ... line=false , let me know.
thx, this one worx
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 23 Jun 2021, 02:04

Echo wrote: As for the MM7 refilled/my modling, I've absolutely no idea how to include them in the Merge without breaking everything so I don't have them in currently :P If you've found a way to include them that's safe then sure, I'd throw them in :P
DavidHer smoothed out a few graphical conflicts and made a completely merge-compatible version of your Monstrosity. You can find it here.
https://www.nexusmods.com/mightandmagicviii/mods/2

I made my Refilled mod exclusively for the Merge, and from the Merge. It is compatible by default. It just consists of two files: mm7.games.lod, which contains all the maps (most modified by me), and CTHostileMonsters.lua a new script that gets all my monsters to fight the party instead of each other.

Installation of both mods is simply unpack and override, and both play nicely with the Merge. You'll have to start a new game to try either of them out, as saves don't like changing the games.lod files mid-stream.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 23 Jun 2021, 07:53

cthscr wrote:
Phobos wrote:The addition that made armor prices, descriptions and bonuses unique seems to have been lost somewhere in the past couple of months. I remember seeing boots, gauntlets and armor with unique armor values a few months ago but they've been reverted back to being identical after I installed something newer. Where might these changes be located?
Can you please explain a bit more? Price and description are in Items.txt from Data/mmmerge.T.lod. Non-artifact bonuses should be there as well, artifact ones - coded in Scripts/Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua
I believe there was a modified ITEMS.txt where all (or at least almost all) items had unique armor values. For example, I remember one of the bad helms having an armor class of 1 but now all the worst helms of MM6, MM7 and MM8 have the same +2 AC rating, which means that the uniqueness is gone. I also remember seeing bad boots with +1 AC rating, but those are nowhere to be found anymore. Perhaps it was Xfing's modified ITEMS.txt that had these changes? Or was it someone else's? It doesn't seem like the changes are there anymore. Or am I just imagining this?
Last edited by Phobos on 23 Jun 2021, 08:01, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jun 2021, 07:58

Phobos wrote:
cthscr wrote:
Phobos wrote:The addition that made armor prices, descriptions and bonuses unique seems to have been lost somewhere in the past couple of months. I remember seeing boots, gauntlets and armor with unique armor values a few months ago but they've been reverted back to being identical after I installed something newer. Where might these changes be located?
Can you please explain a bit more? Price and description are in Items.txt from Data/mmmerge.T.lod. Non-artifact bonuses should be there as well, artifact ones - coded in Scripts/Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua
I believe there was some time ago a modified ITEMS.txt where all items had unique armor values. For example, I remember one of the bad helms having an armor class of 1 but now all the worst helms of MM6, 7 and 8 have the same +2 AC rating, which means that the uniqueness is gone. Perhaps it was XFing's modified items.txt that had these changes? Or was it someone else's? It doesn't seem like the changes are there anymore. Or am I just imagining this?
Hey,

Yes, all of this is in the files I modified. In fact Rodril incorporated a version of that into the latest patch, so if you're using the original branch you should have it. There have been some further tweaks and improvements since then though, and those are yet to be incorporated. I've posted links to the file and the other files you need several times on recent pages in this thread, unfortunately can't get that pinned in any way - but here's the link again if you want it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Xfing on 23 Jun 2021, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 23 Jun 2021, 08:05

Xfing wrote:
Phobos wrote:
cthscr wrote: Can you please explain a bit more? Price and description are in Items.txt from Data/mmmerge.T.lod. Non-artifact bonuses should be there as well, artifact ones - coded in Scripts/Global/ExtraArtifacts.lua
I believe there was some time ago a modified ITEMS.txt where all items had unique armor values. For example, I remember one of the bad helms having an armor class of 1 but now all the worst helms of MM6, 7 and 8 have the same +2 AC rating, which means that the uniqueness is gone. Perhaps it was XFing's modified items.txt that had these changes? Or was it someone else's? It doesn't seem like the changes are there anymore. Or am I just imagining this?
Hey,

Yes, all of this is in the files I modified. In fact Rodril incorporated a version of that into the latest patch, so if you're using the original branch you should have it. There have been some further tweaks and improvements since then though, and those are yet to be incorporated. I've posted links to the file and the other files you need several times on recent pages in this thread, unfortunately can't get that pinned in any way - but here's the link again if you want it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Yes, thank you, this is what I mean. I have this version as well, but wasn't there a version that had bad boots and helms with +1 armor rating? Now all the bad ones have the same +2 and they aren't as unique as I remember them.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 23 Jun 2021, 08:49

I am playing on the latest version from first post + community patch and +1 items exist in my game.
Last edited by Echo on 23 Jun 2021, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 23 Jun 2021, 08:52

Phobos wrote:I believe there was a modified ITEMS.txt where all (or at least almost all) items had unique armor values. For example, I remember one of the bad helms having an armor class of 1 but now all the worst helms of MM6, MM7 and MM8 have the same +2 AC rating, which means that the uniqueness is gone. I also remember seeing bad boots with +1 AC rating, but those are nowhere to be found anymore. Perhaps it was Xfing's modified ITEMS.txt that had these changes? Or was it someone else's? It doesn't seem like the changes are there anymore. Or am I just imagining this?
Do you have Items.txt in DataFiles/ directory? You shouldn't now.
(Just in case: if you use Comm branch, don't use the link from the first post of the thread, it leads to non-updated archive (pre 2021-05-11); use links from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261 instead.)
Last edited by cthscr on 23 Jun 2021, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jun 2021, 09:05

Phobos wrote:Yes, thank you, this is what I mean. I have this version as well, but wasn't there a version that had bad boots and helms with +1 armor rating? Now all the bad ones have the same +2 and they aren't as unique as I remember them.
There are, and that's the point. If you're not having those, you've probably not imported items.txt and rnditems.txt (that one's important too) into mmmerge.T.lod. You can do that by opening that archive using MMArchive. It's not enough to just have the files in the data folder. The data folder keeps files such as the one responsible for paperdoll gear alignments (Complex item pictures.txt), but most of the data relevant to this thing goes into mmmerge.T.lod.

The newest changes in rnditems.txt are that for example ore found in Erathia no longer has a value of 0 but instead values like the Jadamean ore, meaning it's also sellable now and a few more tweaks that aren't in the main version yet.
Last edited by Xfing on 23 Jun 2021, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 23 Jun 2021, 09:32

Oh wow, that was it. I had inserted them into the LOD files but I didn't realize there were extra copies in DataFiles directory. I deleted them and it works now, thank you everyone!

reeeload
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby reeeload » 23 Jun 2021, 19:53

Hello it's been some time since i played this mod. I noticed two new classes (peasant and berserker). Where can you get promotions for them?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 23 Jun 2021, 19:58

reeeload wrote:Hello it's been some time since i played this mod. I noticed two new classes (peasant and berserker). Where can you get promotions for them?
Peasant - everywhere (spoiler: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... ok/Peasant).
Berserker - Jadame (see MM8 Troll promotion).

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 23 Jun 2021, 21:21

Super quick question, I wanted to modify a few items power-wise (move around my favorite armors to be the better ones :P). I moved them around no problem, the "problem" comes when it's about generating them properly.

So the question is - What does the "ID/REP/ST" column stand for? It looks like some kind of tier of an item. Does it affect the way the items are generated or does the rnditem.txt file need to be modified as well? And if so - any tips on how to do that efficiently?

I saw that table with tiers expanded from vanilla 6 or so to 15 (with some 11 tier variant and 6 for clubs, poor clubs). But I saw that "tier" column go all the way up to 30 with rings and stuff. So I'm a bit confused. :embarrased:
Last edited by Echo on 23 Jun 2021, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jun 2021, 23:36

Echo wrote:Super quick question, I wanted to modify a few items power-wise (move around my favorite armors to be the better ones :P). I moved them around no problem, the "problem" comes when it's about generating them properly.

So the question is - What does the "ID/REP/ST" column stand for? It looks like some kind of tier of an item. Does it affect the way the items are generated or does the rnditem.txt file need to be modified as well? And if so - any tips on how to do that efficiently?

I saw that table with tiers expanded from vanilla 6 or so to 15 (with some 11 tier variant and 6 for clubs, poor clubs). But I saw that "tier" column go all the way up to 30 with rings and stuff. So I'm a bit confused. :embarrased:
If there are 30 rings and each next one is rarer and more expensive than the previous then yeah, there are for all intents and purposes 30 tiers, aren't there?

The id/rep/st column is responsible for the point value required to identify or repair the item, the best items currently cap at 30 so you need an Expert of 15, a Master of 30 and so on.

As for item generation, for that you need to alter the chances of an item being generated in rnditems.txt. There are six treasure levels and each item now has different chances to be generated in each of those six tiers. If you want some item to generate more often, you should increase the number assigned to that item in the treasure tier of your choice. If I were you though, I'd just patiently hunt for that item, that's kinda the charm of having all the items from all the games present :P
Last edited by Xfing on 23 Jun 2021, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 24 Jun 2021, 00:08

Xfing wrote:
Echo wrote:Super quick question, I wanted to modify a few items power-wise (move around my favorite armors to be the better ones :P). I moved them around no problem, the "problem" comes when it's about generating them properly.

If there are 30 rings and each next one is rarer and more expensive than the previous then yeah, there are for all intents and purposes 30 tiers, aren't there?

The id/rep/st column is responsible for the point value required to identify or repair the item, the best items currently cap at 30 so you need an Expert of 15, a Master of 30 and so on.

As for item generation, for that you need to alter the chances of an item being generated in rnditems.txt. There are six treasure levels and each item now has different chances to be generated in each of those six tiers. If you want some item to generate more often, you should increase the number assigned to that item in the treasure tier of your choice. If I were you though, I'd just patiently hunt for that item, that's kinda the charm of having all the items from all the games present :P

I see, I kinda hoped setting up the tiers would also handle the rarity of things, dang :p That's a big ass table.

I don't want to make the items spawn more commonly - what I'm doing is for instance taking the black MM8 leather armor and swapping it with the MM7 blue one, because the black one's swaggier :tongue:

The problem is now I have to make it so that the item I buffed doesn't spawn in some low level chest - and vice versa, the nerfed one doesn't spawn in a high level chest/store. Grr :wall:

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Jun 2021, 00:12

Or you could just hope to find a Regnan Leather of Defense with +25 or something. Of Earth is also pretty cool, increases AC by 10 and has other bonuses too. The thing is, you don't exactly need all the very best gear to succeed. Regnan Leather is still the best leather armor formerly of tier 4. If you're referring to the Alvarian Leather, that's the rarest and strongest now too.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 24 Jun 2021, 02:14

It's not about needing things to succeed for me :D I've been modding these games to make them harder for yeeears, cause they're too easy on their default settings. When I play, I only buy potion bottles and spells at the stores, everything else is off limits, too. But part of the fun in these games for me is getting your team to have all the best stuff, and I just want the best endgame stuff to be the stuff I like the most visually :> If I can finally mix and match items from all 3 expacs, I'm gonna have fun with it, lol.

And no, I meant the weaker black leather armor which is by default sitting below a few others (including the brown one from MM8). I moved it up. And then I moved around a bunch of other things, too. For justice.

I'll just have to slowly chip away at the drop table and even it out, at least clean up after the biggest changes.

CATMAN
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby CATMAN » 24 Jun 2021, 07:11

... trying to find a text input functionality within the game ...

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Jun 2021, 07:15

Well, the bolster mechanic gets rid of the low difficulty issue on higher party levels pretty well if you ask me. Just prop it up to 200% and never complain about low difficulty again hahah

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 24 Jun 2021, 16:33

I found a Placeholder friend at the tavern, maybe someone forgot about the poor soul ;)
blob:https://imgur.com/41f9fb3f-7ee4-47c7-a013-61d7357e7814

Here's a biography for him if he's there to stay:

Name: Lorem Ipsum

Lorem Ipsum was born during the most chaotic party in Jadame's history. Well, the history of his little village somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Jadame. His parents forgot to give him a name, and to be honest, they also forgot he existed. But what Lorem Ipsum didn't get in family, he got in perseverance. He survived and then he thrived. His dream is to find a proper family and go on adventures together.

###

Also lol, I couldn't help myself and wanted to see if my druid circlet quest would work in the merge and I seem to have completely bricked the game xD It was one script file! I removed it, but it just won't run now, lmao, says it cannot open the directory and find ErrorFunction. even tho it's there. Replaced Scripts folder with the fresh backup no change. Reinstall here I come :tongue: Skilled.
Last edited by Echo on 24 Jun 2021, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 24 Jun 2021, 19:50

Moving a discussion out of a different topic's thread and into this one since it's more general.

@Echo:
Probably the least invasive way to open up the promotions is to put Dimension Door "scrolls" into a lower prize pool so that the player will get more than one or two per playthrough. DD is a highly specialized spell but is currently in the same scroll prize rarity as Fly and regular Town Portal - it's still bound by the same "Can't cast while under duress" restriction that Master!Town Portal is, so you can't use the scrolls as an escape rope. As things are, the merge is balanced with the expectation that you'll bounce between continents but unless you start in Enroth and make a beeline for Abdul's Discount Resort and the guaranteed Gate Master there, good luck doing that.

Return to “Might and Magic”