Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
justl
Demon
Demon

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 11.05.2021]

Unread postby justl » 13 May 2021, 07:24

Dashwell4 wrote:Is there a soft cap on how many Artifacts/Relics obtainable in this mm merge? If so, what is the limit?
afaik i havent seen any limit yet, i have even found some of the artifacts/relics double time
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 13 May 2021, 07:35

cthscr wrote: You can use this Data/03 LocalizeTables.txt to fix the problem.
im still getting that error (should have copied in earlier, sorry)
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Localization files are out of date and may cause errors.
Download new files from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657 .
Placemon.txt: target lines count - 161, actual lines count - 156
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 13 May 2021, 12:21

hi,
it seems that with the "newly" added artifacts/relics (meaning shoes, belts, capes, helmets, etc.) the boni of them arent working
you can check this by putting them on and off the paperdoll, while in the stats-screen.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 13 May 2021, 12:51

justl wrote:hi,
it seems that with the "newly" added artifacts/relics (meaning shoes, belts, capes, helmets, etc.) the boni of them arent working
Ugh... They work in Comm branch, but unfortunately one can't backport ExtraArtifacts.lua directly.
WearItemConditions aren't portable directly either.
Last edited by cthscr on 13 May 2021, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 13 May 2021, 15:37

cthscr wrote:
justl wrote:it seems that with the "newly" added artifacts/relics (meaning shoes, belts, capes, helmets, etc.) the boni of them arent working
Ugh... They work in Comm branch, but unfortunately one can't backport ExtraArtifacts.lua directly.
Anyway, several were added in Fixes.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 13 May 2021, 16:01

justl wrote:
cthscr wrote: You can use this Data/03 LocalizeTables.txt to fix the problem.
im still getting that error (should have copied in earlier, sorry)
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Localization files are out of date and may cause errors.
Download new files from https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657 .
Placemon.txt: target lines count - 161, actual lines count - 156
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
i guess this texterrors are probably related to that?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 13 May 2021, 16:24

cthscr wrote:
cthscr wrote:
justl wrote:it seems that with the "newly" added artifacts/relics (meaning shoes, belts, capes, helmets, etc.) the boni of them arent working
Anyway, several were added in Fixes.
sorry for the confusion, i havent played in a longer time now and used rodrils new update.
there are some things in the comm branch i dont really like so much (no offence) so i only play rodrils version

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 May 2021, 23:22

Dashwell4 wrote:Is there a soft cap on how many Artifacts/Relics obtainable in this mm merge? If so, what is the limit?

I know it wouldn't matter if I could get the editor going...but I have no idea how it works at all. PM me, anyone willing to explain.
No, there is no cap, you can get them all via random loot from top tier monsters, even if you miss your chance with static spawns in places like the Dragon Caves etc. I believe the intended system is that you shouldn't be getting duplicates as long as you have one of each unique item in your possession, but I don't think it quite works as intended, as I've been getting duplicates. It's probably not that easy to keep track of whether you do own an item, as the game would have to keep track of all static containers such as the chests in Castle Harmondale, the Merchant House of Alvar, as well as the inventories of all the chars in the Adventurer's Guild. In base games, I believe the items were just one-offs determined upon their first spawn, so there was no potential for duplication (unless they were static spawns like Snake etc), but I think the Merge intends to give you more chances to get the items you miss, I'm just not sure the code is quite there yet

Treesprite17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Treesprite17 » 14 May 2021, 00:11

Hi guys, great to see you back Rodrik!

Few bugs I have found since re-installing everything from scratch and then adding the latest new files. I started a new party/new game...

I cannot buy any spells in free haven, im in the fire guild trying to buy any of the spellbooks ( I have plenty enough gold) but nothing is happening when I click any of them
EDIT:: it appears I cannot buy anything from any shops in Free Haven, actually. It all worked fine in New Sorpigal and Iron fist (the other towns i visited so far)
EDIT 2:: I closed game and restarted from desktop and the buying issue seems to be fixed, strange - for how long I do not know?
EDIT 3:: Confirmed the error keeps coming back after playing a while, eventually items cannot be bought in stores, restarting entire game from GOG temporarily fixes it

Also I am getting script errors (followed by a crash) when i am spamming quickspells in battle, I can post the errors

I never had lag before with lots of monsters in an area but for first time despite playing this mod maybe 2 years or so I am having it with latest files

I do Love this mod so much, many thanks for the amazing people who are making it happen and fixing
Last edited by Treesprite17 on 15 May 2021, 17:33, edited 6 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 14 May 2021, 06:58

hi,

another smallish issue i have found:
in dragon sand you cant ascend the stairs to the pyramid by foot, you have to fly/jump upwards
(you probably have that spells at that point of the game, so only -ish issue) :)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 15 May 2021, 10:38

justl wrote:hi,

another smallish issue i have found:
in dragon sand you cant ascend the stairs to the pyramid by foot, you have to fly/jump upwards
(you probably have that spells at that point of the game, so only -ish issue) :)
wait, was that in the original game too? Totally can't remember it lol

EDIT: Ok, I just checked and indeed you can't just walk up these stairs, and that wasn't the case in original MM6. Anyway, you don't need the Jump spell, you can just regular jump up these stairs using Space.
Last edited by Xfing on 15 May 2021, 10:52, edited 2 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 15 May 2021, 13:48

hi,

another thing i have found:
being in the late endgame at the moment i am tasked with getting the spell from archibald.

thereby i tried to go via frozen highlands (and the teleporter of the thieves guild) to castle ironfist.

to my astounding the area-map was completly blacked out, like i never visited the frozen highlands before (but i did for priest and archer class quests, etc.) - the dungeon maps still were completly shown (as explored)

edit:
all errors reported from me are only refering after page 320 of the thread with the 11.05. update
Last edited by justl on 15 May 2021, 14:07, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 15 May 2021, 23:03

I just want to take a moment to say that the work repainting the apparel was absolutely stupendous! Especially the boots fit as though they were made by the dev team themselves. Looks like the dream of full mix and matching of apparel is finally realized!

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 16 May 2021, 04:12

Treesprite17 wrote:Also I am getting script errors (followed by a crash) when i am spamming quickspells in battle, I can post the errors
Post it, please, or send it via private message.

I've implemented bonuses of some (i hope all of them) new artifacts, if you wan't to test it now, before patch will be posted - put this file into your "Scripts\Global" folder, replacing existing: https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge/-/r ... line=false

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 May 2021, 09:40

Rodril wrote:before patch will be posted
Oh, by the way - I'll be sending you yet another version of ITEMS.txt soon, I just didn't realize the version I sent you didn't have the apparel and armors covered, because they didn't exiat in the game at the moment. But the one I already sent you takes care of duplicated names, flavor texts and vendor values for rings, amulets, cloaks, gauntlets, helmets etc. Just the armors are left - and due to the implementation of all the mm6 and mm7 stuff there's plenty of gear with redundant stats at the moment, we need to get this fixed

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 May 2021, 15:38

Ok, I've taken another pass at ITEMS.txt and it seems like there is a problem of some sort. Even though the format is fine, the game isn't taking further adjustments. For example, in the first row, the name of the sword was changed to "Iron Longsword", as you can see in the picture:

but the game still displays it as just "Longsword".

The vendor prices and damage of the items had already been adjusted last time, so this time I just went over remaining armor values, flavor text and ID/Repair values - now every item of any given category has its own value for these skills. The values were calculated the following way:
- The first item from the category is always 1 (with one exception being hats, those start at 2)
- The highest value of the class was taken, and then it was divided by the number of items in the category (usually 15, but can also be 11 for certain weapons and plate armor and 30 for rings)
- Every item's value was incremented by the divided value. So if there are 15 items they go from 1 to 15 normally, 1 to 20 with chain armor, 1 to 25 with plate, 1 to 30 with rings - in equal increments (1; 1,33; 1,66 etc).

Next thing I'll do is edit the file where the treasure values are determined - though I think I've also done that before already. The thing is, seems like the files are not taking effect when inserted to EnglishT.lod - there are still lots of items from too powerful treasure classes at vendors, in chests etc, and there remain discrepancies in item names, armor and vendor values compared to what's in the files. Is there something that's overriding the stuff in ITEMS.txt and rnditems.txt?

(here's the newest ITEMS.txt file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N-AgI1 ... sp=sharing)

EDIT: I've been able to open the Merge with no issues even after ITEMS.txt was removed completely from EnglishT.lod. So there must be something else that the game is deferring to and perhaps it's overriding those files.

Oh, and also a minor bug report - this goes all the way back to vanilla MM8 and perhaps 7 - when you fail to cast Reanimate on a target, the text message "club" displays. I believe the intended message to display was "You lack the skill to animate this target." which is line 750 of GLOBAL.txt - there appears to be some wrong data called.
Last edited by Xfing on 16 May 2021, 16:01, edited 3 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 16 May 2021, 16:22

It's not a bug, it's feature (tm) - files are in mmmerge.T.lod. There are two reasons for rename: 1) now it should work with non-english installed MM8; 2) grayface's patch '00 patch.T.lod' shouldn't override mmmerge.T.lod content (it does for EnglishT.lod).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 May 2021, 16:47

cthscr wrote:It's not a bug, it's feature (tm) - files are in mmmerge.T.lod. There are two reasons for rename: 1) now it should work with non-english installed MM8; 2) grayface's patch '00 patch.T.lod' shouldn't override mmmerge.T.lod content (it does for EnglishT.lod).
Nice! And what about the treasure classes? Are those still in rnditems.txt inside mmmerge.T.lod?

EDIT: Yeah, sure enough it works when put inside mmmerge.T.lod!

I'll run the file through a comparator to make sure it won't be overwriting any changes that Rodril has made to it in the meantime (like marking what continent a gemstone is from etc), and then it'll be ready for integration with the base game - all changes have been done according to the tracker. I'll upload rnditems.txt when I take another look at the loot values. BTW is there an additional file file that determines what treasure classes specific vendors can carry, or is that accounted for in the treasure values themselves? Because the game has had items way outside of their treasure class at vendors recently, and I'm wondering whether just fixing the treasure classes of all the items will be enough to fix that.
Last edited by Xfing on 16 May 2021, 16:57, edited 2 times in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 16 May 2021, 17:44

Treesprite17 wrote:I cannot buy any spells in free haven, im in the fire guild trying to buy any of the spellbooks ( I have plenty enough gold) but nothing is happening when I click any of them
EDIT:: it appears I cannot buy anything from any shops in Free Haven, actually. It all worked fine in New Sorpigal and Iron fist (the other towns i visited so far)
EDIT 2:: I closed game and restarted from desktop and the buying issue seems to be fixed, strange - for how long I do not know?
EDIT 3:: Confirmed the error keeps coming back after playing a while, eventually items cannot be bought in stores, restarting entire game from GOG temporarily fixes it
Sounds similar to the bug with 'Data/00 patch.T.lod' present, which I hoped to be fixed now. [Previously made] Quick test with it has showed no problem to me but maybe it wasn't long enough.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 May 2021, 18:28

BTW, is this belt also a feature?

It replaces the MM7 tier 1 belt. I remember there being some graphics swapped out for different ones in the past (swords in particular), which was reverted, but here the belt actually doesn't look bad, though I've never seen it in any of the games. Where is it from and what happened to the original? :P
Last edited by Xfing on 21 May 2021, 08:23, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”