Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Vaulth516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 33
Joined: 02 Nov 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Vaulth516 » Nov 27 2020, 6:06

Butcer wrote:How to disable all level scaling, i want the game to play like the original game with no levels scaling period

why would you want that? this game is easy, without level scaling there's no fun.

cthscr
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 267
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby cthscr » Nov 27 2020, 6:22

Menu - Controls - Extra Setting - Bolster monsters = off.

raekuul
Scout
Scout
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby raekuul » Nov 27 2020, 13:45

NotABroom wrote:At what point can you jump to the other continents? Do you need to have certain quests finished?

The key to cross-timeline travel is casting Town Portal at a High Magic Spot.

You aren't particularly locked behind story progression so much as you're locked behind Water Mastery. In Jadame this is trivial for Necromancers, since Master Water is available overland and requires no promotion. In Enroth this is almost trivial for Sorcerors - you're required to complete the Wizard promotion, but the hardest part about that is getting back to Albert Newton (the Master teachers are unchanged). In Antagarich, you still need to assemble The Golem for the promotion and do a Nighon Run to reach the Master Instructor. Annoying, but not impossible, especially since the Thunderfist Mountain leg of a Nighon Run is paradoxically easier the earlier you do it (monster spawn groups are affected by party level - higher level means larger and stronger clusters)

For all three continents the most annoying part is finding a High Magic Spot to cast from. There are two per continent, but I will only give details for the ones that Verdant speaks about. Enroth is trivial here - it may be in Dragonsand, but it's in one of the quieter places. Antagarich is locked behind the Priest promotion quest, though the combat should be manageable by the time you can get there organically. Jadame... while it's trivial to find the Druid Circle in Murmurwoods, it's very much not trivial to clean it up.

If you start in Jadame you may want to consider getting Grandmaster Water before going across timelines, which means completing the Lich promotion quest (the secondary location for Jadame is also non-trivial to clean out). Merge does not seal the elemental planes behind story progression, so you can pick up GM Water as soon as you're eligible for it.

Whether you go back and forth repeatedly or if you go full-clear to full-clear is up to you. Know that Verdant's quest chain is given in the order of Jadame, Antagarich, Enroth - and that you should not expect to finish the Jadame part of Verdant's quest chain until you're ready to invade Regna. For Antagarich you will want to wait until you're done helping the Dwarves, and for Enroth you'll come across what you need just from doing (promotion) quests.
Last edited by raekuul on Nov 27 2020, 14:06, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
Vaulth516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 33
Joined: 02 Nov 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Vaulth516 » Nov 27 2020, 14:41

For non-necromancers/before Master-rank in Water magic, just find a Gate Master NPC.

cthscr
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 267
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby cthscr » Nov 27 2020, 15:19

I'm working now on restricting Dimension Door to already visited or starting maps (with Emerald Island excluded after visiting Harmondale).
It works for new games but not for already started yet. Hope to finish it in next two weeks.
(As usual there will be a setting for it.)

raekuul
Scout
Scout
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby raekuul » Nov 27 2020, 19:14

Honestly, the big change I would make is to add a guaranteed Scroll of Dimension Door to chests that we know a player has to open during a normal playthrough of each continent, thereby guaranteeing the player will find enough scrolls to finish all the content. Places like the Control Cube Chest in the Tomb of Varn or the Cannonball of Dominion in the Regnan Headquarters or the... um...

wait, which chests are you required to open in Might and Magic 7 regardless of which Path you walk? There's the Fragmented Key quest that takes you to both opposed temples, at least, but those are really the only ones I can actually think of.
Last edited by raekuul on Nov 27 2020, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Daedros
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Daedros » Nov 28 2020, 3:49

NotABroom wrote:This would be the last entry on every priority list on what to do about MM. But I think it would be a really cool touch, if liches were the only ones who would actually get stronger as they age. As an undead they obviously won't die and they'll probably just keep on studying forbidden books about dark magic in secret dungeons beneath the daylight.

I already suggested a long time ago that Liches and Vampires gain stat boosts upon reaching certain ages, with no negatives. Dragons could receive Might, Endurance, and Intellect boosts, but still lose Speed at advanced age.
As it is now, at Age 50 you get mild Intellect/Personality boosts while receiving mild Might/Endurance/Speed penalties. At Age 100 you get major penalties to those stats, and at Age 150 you get crippling penalties to all stats. Hence why i had also suggested that drinking Rejuvenation potions permanently reduce your Age. This Rejuvenation potion change was implemented awhile back in the Merge.

User avatar
NotABroom
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Posts: 42
Joined: 03 Jun 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby NotABroom » Nov 28 2020, 11:35

@raekuul

Thanks that answer is helpful!

Daedros wrote:
NotABroom wrote:This would be the last entry on every priority list on what to do about MM. But I think it would be a really cool touch, if liches were the only ones who would actually get stronger as they age. As an undead they obviously won't die and they'll probably just keep on studying forbidden books about dark magic in secret dungeons beneath the daylight.

I already suggested a long time ago that Liches and Vampires gain stat boosts upon reaching certain ages, with no negatives. Dragons could receive Might, Endurance, and Intellect boosts, but still lose Speed at advanced age.
As it is now, at Age 50 you get mild Intellect/Personality boosts while receiving mild Might/Endurance/Speed penalties. At Age 100 you get major penalties to those stats, and at Age 150 you get crippling penalties to all stats. Hence why i had also suggested that drinking Rejuvenation potions permanently reduce your Age. This Rejuvenation potion change was implemented awhile back in the Merge.


I like those ideas, especially the rejuvenation potion. Now I actually like the idea of playing an all undead party of liches and vampires.

Mortis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 34
Joined: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Mortis » Nov 29 2020, 11:53

Vaulth516 wrote:
Butcer wrote:How to disable all level scaling, i want the game to play like the original game with no levels scaling period

why would you want that? this game is easy, without level scaling there's no fun.


It depends how do you understand "fun". Scalling level in present shape in not balanced, because for stronger enemies you don't get higher experience and that is why from too easy game becomes too hard in some cases.

raekuul
Scout
Scout
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby raekuul » Nov 29 2020, 19:14

Butcer wrote:How do i remove all scaling

I usually play at 5% bolster, to get the modified AI and abilities without having any extra health on the monsters. You can set the bolster strength in the Controls menu, under Extra Settings

User avatar
Vaulth516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 33
Joined: 02 Nov 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Vaulth516 » Nov 29 2020, 21:27

Mortis wrote:
Vaulth516 wrote:
Butcer wrote:How to disable all level scaling, i want the game to play like the original game with no levels scaling period

why would you want that? this game is easy, without level scaling there's no fun.


It depends how do you understand "fun". Scalling level in present shape in not balanced, because for stronger enemies you don't get higher experience and that is why from too easy game becomes too hard in some cases.



I think the challenge factor may depend on how hard you loot the dragon on Emerald Island, lol.
I just loot that dragon to 10k gold, but I must have lucked out on some good epics to start, cuz 75% of combat moments is just holding down the attack button and wait for the smoke to clear.

This.. bolster feature/controloption is also not present in my game, so I thought it was ingrained.
I have the 12.7.2020 of the Merge, what does this pertain to? 8|

cthscr
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 267
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby cthscr » Nov 30 2020, 18:53

cthscr wrote:I'm working now on restricting Dimension Door to already visited or starting maps (with Emerald Island excluded after visiting Harmondale).
It works for new games but not for already started yet. Hope to finish it in next two weeks.

Did it a bit earlier, huh.

Comm Merge master branch latest changes:
[*] Restricted Dimension Door destinations to already visited and starting maps. Put 'Merge.Settings.DimensionDoor.RestrictMaps = false' into MMMergeSettings.lua (in top game directory near mm8.ini) to get back old behavior.
[*] Reduced merchant reputation effect in Enroth. Hardcoded; reputation is divided by 16 when calculating player's total merchant skill.

Previous notable changes:
[*] Blasters were buffed (Energy Damage type)
[*] Dragons were nerfed (Fire Damage type; Undead/Ghost dragons - Dark Damage type)
[*] Fixed several Percival issues

As usual, [almost] full changelog is available at https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/wikis/Changelog

lightbringer23
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 91
Joined: 02 Apr 2017

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby lightbringer23 » Dec 1 2020, 6:38

MM7 Refilled for Merge is now complete!

It is a mod designed for the MM678 Merge, and is intended for players who wish to bring the MM7 component of their Merge playthrough up to the same level as Echo's MM8 Monstrosity Modling. Ideally, players will use both mods, but it's not required. You can find MM7 Refilled on its own thread in the CH forum.

Thanks to everyone for all your hard work on continually improving the Merge :)
Last edited by lightbringer23 on Dec 1 2020, 6:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 784
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Xfing » Dec 3 2020, 1:51

Daedros wrote:
NotABroom wrote:This would be the last entry on every priority list on what to do about MM. But I think it would be a really cool touch, if liches were the only ones who would actually get stronger as they age. As an undead they obviously won't die and they'll probably just keep on studying forbidden books about dark magic in secret dungeons beneath the daylight.

I already suggested a long time ago that Liches and Vampires gain stat boosts upon reaching certain ages, with no negatives. Dragons could receive Might, Endurance, and Intellect boosts, but still lose Speed at advanced age.
As it is now, at Age 50 you get mild Intellect/Personality boosts while receiving mild Might/Endurance/Speed penalties. At Age 100 you get major penalties to those stats, and at Age 150 you get crippling penalties to all stats. Hence why i had also suggested that drinking Rejuvenation potions permanently reduce your Age. This Rejuvenation potion change was implemented awhile back in the Merge.


I'd personally go with altering age thresholds for different races rather than messing with the Rejuvenation potion. Vamps and liches shouldn't get any penalties for instance, since they're undead. Elves are longer lived than humans, so they should start getting the usual bonuses/penalties at older ages etc etc. Ofc that would require scripting out the thresholds for each and every race, but that's perfectly doable.

In my experience it's very unusual to get a character to age 70 in the course of gameplay, much less like 150, so guess permanent age reduction is a bit of a stretch?

raekuul
Scout
Scout
Posts: 172
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby raekuul » Dec 3 2020, 2:05

The aging effects make more sense in the context of unnatural ageing. MM6 is rife with it (mostly as an excuse to seek out the Fountain of Youth before tracking down the four memory crystals), MM7 and 8 not so much. I know the NWC-era games had "die from old age" but that's not a thing from 6 onward.
Last edited by raekuul on Dec 3 2020, 2:05, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 784
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Xfing » Dec 3 2020, 2:06

Oh guys btw, in the meantime I replaced the flavor texts in Items.TXT with the same ones from the old Tracker - sent it to Rodril months ago but I'm not sure if he's incorporated it yet, feel free to use these in the community branch too.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yZMpqf ... P6l-U/view

I mostly focused on items between MM6 and 7 that had their flavor text completely copied over with no changes, now no item has the same name and/or flavor text as another one.

In the same file, I also redid armor values for shields, gauntlets, boots and cloaks and pricing for them & other apparel such as belts, amulets and rings according to what's been in the tracker. Feel free to use it if you're so inclined, Rodril has had access to the file for a long while and will probably be integrating it anyhow :)

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 784
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby Xfing » Dec 3 2020, 2:08

raekuul wrote:The aging effects make more sense in the context of unnatural ageing. MM6 is rife with it (mostly as an excuse to seek out the Fountain of Youth before tracking down the four memory crystals), MM7 and 8 not so much. I know the NWC-era games had "die from old age" but that's not a thing from 6 onward.


Actually if I'm not mistaken, once your characters pass 80 or 100 (can't remember), there is a chance of them dying in their sleep (i.e. when resting). Had this happen to me with unnatural aging. So yeah, I think it's probably bit of an overkill to try and mess with natural aging, which it's very very hard to get to those numbers in a single savegame. But I would definitely be for adjusting the aging threshold values based on the character's race - some are long lived than others and liches & vamps are meant to live indefinitely.

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 579
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby SpectralDragon » Dec 4 2020, 8:00

Xfing wrote:
raekuul wrote:The aging effects make more sense in the context of unnatural ageing. MM6 is rife with it (mostly as an excuse to seek out the Fountain of Youth before tracking down the four memory crystals), MM7 and 8 not so much. I know the NWC-era games had "die from old age" but that's not a thing from 6 onward.


Actually if I'm not mistaken, once your characters pass 80 or 100 (can't remember), there is a chance of them dying in their sleep (i.e. when resting). Had this happen to me with unnatural aging. So yeah, I think it's probably bit of an overkill to try and mess with natural aging, which it's very very hard to get to those numbers in a single savegame. But I would definitely be for adjusting the aging threshold values based on the character's race - some are long lived than others and liches & vamps are meant to live indefinitely.

Ditto as well, like you said (especially Elves, Dark Elves and Dragons, maybe Necromancers too ... and this also applies to Undead, the living-indefinitely bit (dunno about Zombies though, maybe they too even if as a recompense they´re as gimped as they are?) if you ask me.

User avatar
SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 579
Joined: 15 May 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby SpectralDragon » Dec 4 2020, 13:24

cthscr wrote: :gong:


Hey, I was thinking about the option of having diverse Minotaurs (2 extras aside the 2 defaults, one based on a Red Pied breed of cattle and one based on a Friesian breed of cattle, which also shows up as a peasant) and having both a Bone Dragon (to accompany the Skeleton) as well as an option of having a Spectral Dragon (be it a visual change on a promotion or through other means) that would look like the same way that my icon shows. What do you think about that?

I also hope that you or others managed to somehow get boots and armors to work in the Merge because my edits of the MM6 boots (boots1, to be exact) to fit a MM8 paperdoll look absolutely horrid. I still have the .zip file, if you wish it. ^^;
Yes?

mm6crazyone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 05 Dec 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Postby mm6crazyone » Dec 5 2020, 12:34

I really wanna know the code to make monster look bigger,similar to spell shrink ray does. Updating monster.Radius or monster.height doesn't work.Thanks for anybody can help me.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests