Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby sator » 30 Oct 2020, 12:38

Hello guys I installed this brilliant mod last night! As (I imagine everyone here) I absolutely adore M&M 6-8 and HOMM3. These games have a special part in my heart.

Special thanks to Rodril and Grayface and all the other contributors to this project!

I have a question: I started with a single character in New Sorpigal. Can I create a party at the starting screen but still start in M&M6? Alternatively, where can I recruit characters? Thank you!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Oct 2020, 14:05

You can add characters during the character creation. There is a PLUS and MINUS icons down below the screen on your left. You add characters clicking there.

Before you start the game, you are given the choice of which continent (game) you want to start the game. Later on, you can travel to and fro them in-game.

Hirelings are spread around, but sometimes you find them at Inns and Training Centers.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sator » 30 Oct 2020, 19:06

Many thanks! Oh, one more thing. Is the system rigid like in M&M 7 where you choose either Light or Dark or is it flexible like in M&M 8 where you can get both? Do I have to postpone leveling whilst playing on the M&M 6 map?
Last edited by sator on 30 Oct 2020, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Oct 2020, 21:42

Well, I was playing yesterday and both Quest-givers, either for the good and for the bad, gave their quests. I just don't know yet about spells. But I think the continuation for the ending might still be tied to one of the choices. I also don't know what happens upon ending.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 31 Oct 2020, 12:55

sator wrote:Many thanks! Oh, one more thing. Is the system rigid like in M&M 7 where you choose either Light or Dark or is it flexible like in M&M 8 where you can get both? Do I have to postpone leveling whilst playing on the M&M 6 map?
For the Antagarich part of the storyline, you are still forced to pick one or the other. This only has an effect on the Antagarich side of things. Any promotions performed before this point still keep (so you can get a Necromancer from Jadame turned into a Lich, then side with Castle Lambent), and MM6's promotions from Albert Newton and Anthony Stone still let you get up to Master in both Dark and Light (you can't get GM in either without deliberately picking a side and ditching the other completely on that character, but the option to run both is there and there's nothing preventing you from having both through separate characters like MM8 with both a Necromancer to Lich and a Priest to Cleric of the Sun).
Last edited by raekuul on 31 Oct 2020, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.

sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sator » 31 Oct 2020, 13:56

Thanks I have some more questions:

1. Can't a regular sorcerer also turn into a Lich in Erathia? I thought the difference was purely model based. So if I want a lich I definitely have to start with a Necromancer and either turn them in Erathia or Jadme?

2. I saw that Druids use the M&M 6 magic system which lets them get GM in all the spell schools barring Light and Dark (and IMO that's kind of OP but who cares). I didn't see Monks however, nor M&M 8s Dragon class (which is pure imba but again - who cares?) Were they omitted on purpouse?

3. I wanted to play through M&M 6 first but I want a Light and Dark magic spellcaster, so if it's not possible I'd have to restart and do it from Jadme. Or is there a way to travel to Jadme soon after New Sorpigal?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 31 Oct 2020, 15:50

1) To my knowledge, the Necromancer class specifically is only promotable to Lich in Jadame (because that quest is specifically "Necromancer -> Lich" and not "Wizard -> Lich"), but Sorcerors from Enroth/Erathia can also promote to Liches by passing through the Erathian Wizard -> Lich promotion quest.

2) There are eighteen base classes that all have to be balanced and re-balanced in order to try and make everything vaguely unique. We're... still trying to figure out what Druids/Rangers/Archers should get to make them unique, so being OP for a little bit is to be expected.

3) Only Jadame can start with Dark/Light spellcasters, but Enroth is special in that their spellcasters can cast both Light/Dark by passing through the Enroth promotion quests (which is relatively easy for Clerics and a pain in the butt for Sorcerers)
Last edited by raekuul on 31 Oct 2020, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 31 Oct 2020, 16:04

Also, perhaps this promotions visual guide will help (if the link does open at the beginning, find "promotion guide" in the left navigation bar).

There are two people in blackshire who can turn you from light path to dark path and vice versa, also should be able to transform MM6-promoted clerics and sorcs so they can GM one of mirrored schools (when fully promoted, they can only M both).
Last edited by Eksekk on 31 Oct 2020, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Mooncalf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mooncalf » 31 Oct 2020, 18:43

So one quick question: Where do you get Armageddon/Souldrinker? I started Jadame, and unless I'm absurdly unlucky the Shadowspire Dark Guild doesn't sell them anymore. I checked Blackshire but they don't seem to sell them there either. Do I have to run half of MM7's storyline, then join the dark side to get access to these two?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 31 Oct 2020, 21:25

There are known problems with how the top spells in each school are distributed (since this also severely restricts the availability of Town Portal, which is critical to completing the Merge content). I'd suggest checking the Enroth Obelisk Puzzle Rewards first.
Last edited by raekuul on 31 Oct 2020, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sator » 01 Nov 2020, 10:45

raekuul wrote:There are known problems with how the top spells in each school are distributed (since this also severely restricts the availability of Town Portal, which is critical to completing the Merge content). I'd suggest checking the Enroth Obelisk Puzzle Rewards first.
This happens in the base games as well. I've found that the best way to handle it is to load just before you enter the map area after you have waited out the vendor reset time (1 month I think?) and keep trying until you get it. It took me ages to get some spells but it works.

sator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sator » 01 Nov 2020, 11:15

By the way, I'm getting errors when I try to switch to the M&M 7 interface, should I post the errors here? Also I hired a Teacher, where can I see them and dismiss them? M&M8 didn't have those so I'm lost as how to interact with them.
Last edited by sator on 01 Nov 2020, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 01 Nov 2020, 12:50

sator wrote:
raekuul wrote:There are known problems with how the top spells in each school are distributed (since this also severely restricts the availability of Town Portal, which is critical to completing the Merge content). I'd suggest checking the Enroth Obelisk Puzzle Rewards first.
This happens in the base games as well. I've found that the best way to handle it is to load just before you enter the map area after you have waited out the vendor reset time (1 month I think?) and keep trying until you get it. It took me ages to get some spells but it works.
The spell spawning restrictions in the base games are limited to Divine Intervention, and Dark Containment in 6, in order to make the sidequests make sense. Shop Rerolling doesn't help as much in Merge since for some reason the Enroth and Jadame 2nd tier magic guilds don't properly spawn the highest level spells at the proper ratios (likely on purpose to encourage more frequent continent-hopping, since the spells do spawn correctly at the Antagarich GM-level guilds... which makes it into a problem, as those guilds are not as easily accessible as you'd expect - GM Water Guild is on Evenmorn Islands, after all!)
Last edited by raekuul on 01 Nov 2020, 12:52, edited 4 times in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Nov 2020, 16:13

Is the Dimension Door book supposed to lead you into the sea when you travel to the MM8 world? I was drinking water when I noticed my team drowning, literally into the blue.
Last edited by Panda Tar on 01 Nov 2020, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 02 Nov 2020, 13:39

Dimension door has several hardcoded locations for each continent that it can teleport into, and probably one of them is sea somewhere as you mentioned. Just save before using DD and reload until you get acceptable location if you don't have fly/water walk.

I have another question. When you choose dark path in MM7, is Divine Intervention going to be accessible in Celeste, since you cannot complete archmage quest? I heard it can't appear in magic guilds in either MM6 or MM8. This isn't going to be a problem for me, since I'm going to have 1 light spellcaster, and you can get one from obelisk reward in MM6 (can you? someone please confirm), but still some people might have a problem.
cthscr wrote:Fellow MouseLook user? Have you tried press CapsLock before casting Town Portal?
Disabling mouse look did not help for town portal/DD doubleclicking :( I don't know what's wrong.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 02 Nov 2020, 17:51

Oooohh, so there are some locations other than the middle of the sea.

I have 2 Divine Intervention books atm whilst playing the MM7 part at first, even choosing the dark path. I think one I got from a temple (as it is a mandatory location for it to be there) and the other was probably from a dragon corpse. I am actually carrying a lot of Light Magic Spell books around, hoping that my Cleric can learn it in the other 2 worlds.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 02 Nov 2020, 18:58

I don't know for certain about other locations but Divine Intervention should still appear as part of the MM6 Obelisk Puzzle Reward. As for replication-ness, I believe but am not entirely certain that the DI book will still appear in its proper location in The Breeding Zone even if you opt to play Dark (but it's been a while since I've played vanilla 7 so don't remember if it appears "always" or just "if Light")

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 02 Nov 2020, 19:29

Dimension Door destinations are coded in General/2_OutlookTravels.lua (function TownPortalControls.GenDimDoor()).
One destination map (from predefined set) is randomly chosen for each continent. Several of its parameters are set but not the coordinates (those are 0,0,0). So you'll end in random map at random point.
I'm rewriting that behavior now, so that one can only teleport into already visited maps (from predefined set) or (if there no maps visited) starting map of the continent. Starting maps also have predefined coordinates.
There are two problems with it: 1) I need pics for Emerald Island and [not Castle] Harmondale; 2) I have to detect which maps were visited in previously started games.
Eksekk wrote:Disabling mouse look did not help for town portal/DD doubleclicking
Uh, CapsLock trick was enough for me and several other people. Can't help more here...

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 02 Nov 2020, 19:34

raekuul wrote:DI book will still appear in its proper location in The Breeding Zone even if you opt to play Dark (but it's been a while since I've played vanilla 7 so don't remember if it appears "always" or just "if Light")
Chest event has no check on Path so it looks to be "always".

Belcanzor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Belcanzor » 02 Nov 2020, 19:38

Same as the user sator: How you manage recruits?

Return to “Might and Magic”