Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 12.07.2020]

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Oct 2020, 14:33

Wormwood wrote:attempting to play arcomage in the tavern results in another error message, followed by a crash (see img#4-5).
Was it some specific tavern or any tavern?

Wormwood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wormwood » 10 Oct 2020, 19:09

cthscr wrote: Scripts/General/NPCNewsTopics.lua, line 38. Add a comma at the end. Add new line after it: [const.Bolster.MonsterType.Troll] = const.Race.Troll
Aye that did it! After putting that line of code in all the Ironsand issues (error messages when entering, when killing Gogs, crashes when leaving dungeons and playing Arcomage in the Ironsand Tavern) all melted away like the village of Rust during the Cataclysm (too soon?)! Tested it out just now and everything went very smoothly, thanks a bunch man!

Btw, I've been touring Enroth this weekend and while there are no bugs so far, one thing stood out to me, that is, quite often the NPC portraits are... odd? I returned Nicolai and he turned into a lizardman in front of my incredulous eyes on the steps of Castle Ironfist! The stablemasters apparently have a very aggressive diversity policy cause when doing the price fixing quest I encountered everything from Skeleman Lords to Minotaurs and, most shocking, a peasant! The obelisks also seem to be haunted by various monstrous spirits who deliver the quest code. Not a bug as such but possibly worth looking into on a slow day?

Thanks again! Cheers
Last edited by Wormwood on 10 Oct 2020, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Wormwood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wormwood » 10 Oct 2020, 19:25

cthscr wrote:
Wormwood wrote:I believe there are (several) empty NPC houses in Deyja/the Pit, and around castles Kriegspire/Darkmoor, possible places to install some friendly monster trainers (Minotaurs, Vampres and Necromancer-->Lich)?
Adding new NPC will break old savegames for base Merge. I've added one once in Community Branch (that was MM6 arena master actually) and restore it from NPCData.txt (because it was filled with garbage - any newly added NPC will be).
Aside from that adding new quests is one of the easiest things with MMExtension.
Ah, yes I see how that could get annoying very fast if NPCs/quests were added piecemeal. I suppose if a decision is ever made to add them at all it'd have to be via some kind of mega-patch/optional-extra-content somewhere at the end with a caveat regarding the effect on old save files. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

verinta
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby verinta » 10 Oct 2020, 19:40

Hi everyone.

I think I might have found a possible bug. When I tried to get my last person to join in the Breach, they didn't. I did get the message about the questions, and then clicked join and nothing happened. Anyone know any work arounds?

Thank you!

(I also tried uploading a screenshot to be more clear, but couldn't figure out how to do that if someone can help with that too!)

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 10 Oct 2020, 19:48

What would need to be done to create an installer script that pulls from already-installed MM6/MM7? We'd be able to make a "small download" option for easier sharing, plus it'd be a lot friendlier for mod sharing sites (since we'd no longer be including the original assets from MM6/7 in the mod package)

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 10 Oct 2020, 20:13

raekuul wrote:What would need to be done to create an installer script that pulls from already-installed MM6/MM7? We'd be able to make a "small download" option for easier sharing, plus it'd be a lot friendlier for mod sharing sites (since we'd no longer be including the original assets from MM6/7 in the mod package)
Data is modified. So you can't just pull from MM6/MM7. Conversion (of NPCs, Monsters, Items, events, etc.) was done by Rodril's unknown tools. (And modified manually after that.)
'Anims' (791 MB) and 'Music' (286 MB) directories are quite stable though.
Last edited by cthscr on 10 Oct 2020, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 10 Oct 2020, 23:24

The modified data itself (and probably the map definition files as well) can be distributed as part of the mod package as they're relatively small after compression. I'm mostly thinking of pulling assets (Anims and Music and other graphical stuff) specifically from already-installed MM6/7 to save on space. Definitely would need Rodril and his toolset to figure out what can be sourced from existing installs vs what would need to be redistributed. At the very least, locally sourcing the Anims and Music would cut the mod download size from 1.6 GB to 800 MB

It should also be possible to distribute patch files (I'll look around to see what's a good fit; xdelta comes to mind) for the MM8 assets that are getting changed. The fewer raw assets being redistributed, the better.

E: Yeah, any files with a shared name between the mod and MM8's base game should be diff'd instead of being provided wholesale (looking at the Anims here, but providing a patch for MM8.exe instead of redistributing the executable directly is less of a legal grey area), and depending on how Rodril pulled the MM6/MM7 graphical assets we can either redistribute the tools with a script wrapper or else write new extracting/patching tools from scratch to redistribute with the mod (I really hope for the former since that's already done) and pull the data player-side.

It looks like most of the bloat comes from the MM8 assets being redistributed wholesale instead of being diff/patched, so we can save a lot of space just from optimizing that part. I'll look around for a good diff/patch tool for this. xdelta patching comes to mind but we need something that can be used with shell scripting (to automate as much of the process as possible)
Last edited by raekuul on 11 Oct 2020, 00:14, edited 6 times in total.

Bierzeltfee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bierzeltfee » 11 Oct 2020, 00:19

The game starts and closes immediately. without error message. what is the problem ?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 11 Oct 2020, 01:52

Posting this for someone else. They're having an issue with the Merge. Upon starting a game, they hit "escape" and the game would play for one frame before the console shows up with this error:

Code: Select all

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...Magic 8 Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\General\History.lua:117: array index (442) out of bounds [1, 349]

stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function 'index'
    ...Magic 8 Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\General\History.lua:117: in function 'v'
    Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'index':
    t = (table: 0x1b304a90)
    a = 442
    v = nil

local variables of 'index':
    aorig = 442
    a1 = 441
    n = 349

upvalues of 'index':
    ptr = nil
    u4 = (table: 0x046ab9f8)
    GetPtr = (function: 0x046ae0f8)
    obj = (table: 0x0469bf88)
    o = 74336219
    assertnum = (function: 0x046a9090)
    error = (function: 0x039a6d68)
    type = (function: builtin#3)
    SetLen = nil
    low = 1
    GetLen = (function: 0x039d1870)
    lenP = nil
    lenA = nil
    count = 349
    size = 0.125
    _index = nil
    _newindex = nil
    tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
    beyondLen = nil
    f = (function: 0x046ade60)
    format = (function: builtin#91)
    sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
    tostring = (function: builtin#18)
    tostring2 = (function: 0x046a90f8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 11 Oct 2020, 06:13

Anubis wrote:Posting this for someone else. They're having an issue with the Merge. Upon starting a game, they hit "escape" and the game would play for one frame before the console shows up with this error:

Code: Select all

...Magic 8 Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\General\History.lua:117: array index (442) out of bounds [1, 349]

stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function 'index'
    ...Magic 8 Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\General\History.lua:117: in function 'v'
    Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>
I'd say it's broken installation. Check for Data/ directory to be from v12.07.2020 (installing Update over version older than 19.04.2020 will not work).

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Oct 2020, 05:29

cthscr wrote:
Panda Tar wrote: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues - like the last line in my signature
Thanks! I was looking into it, but could not find something similar. I often hold the attack buttom to relay all ranged attacks in succession during the turn-based battle. Sometimes, it gets stuck in a single character, who won't stop attacking until all enemies in range are destroyed. They simply get no chance to act. It only happens on turn-based battle, and I noticed it was likely to happen with the character wielding the bow of Carnage. It tends to happen only when I hold the attack buttom for fast shooting.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 12 Oct 2020, 08:49

Panda Tar wrote:Thanks! I was looking into it, but could not find something similar. I often hold the attack buttom to relay all ranged attacks in succession during the turn-based battle. Sometimes, it gets stuck in a single character, who won't stop attacking until all enemies in range are destroyed. They simply get no chance to act. It only happens on turn-based battle, and I noticed it was likely to happen with the character wielding the bow of Carnage. It tends to happen only when I hold the attack buttom for fast shooting.
This happens with characters who have a high attack speed, specially if they use something that helps even further (a bow with "Swift", using the Haste spell, etc), I've also had that happen with a dual wielding dagger character and armsmaster, so it probably has something to do with the weapon's recovery time being less than a certain threshold during turn-based mode.

It usually stops when the opponent is either dead or its recovery animation frames from being damaged have been completed.

It also happened in vanilla MM6 and 7 so it probably has something to do with the engine or how the interaction between recovery time for weapons and enemy damage animation was coded in all of these games (just pointing out it's not exclusively a Merge issue).
Last edited by joanthedark on 12 Oct 2020, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 12 Oct 2020, 14:25

Would it be possible to introduce some delay when casting town portal before you can click on cities? 0.5 sec should be enough. Doubleclicking happens often, which is very annoying. It didn't happen in vanilla (town portal here was modified, which is probably why). The same happens with dimension door.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 12 Oct 2020, 15:38

And if we're on the topic of suggestions, repairing/identifying items when any character is attempting, not necessarily the one who has the skill (except if said character is unable to act (stoned etc.)). A massive QoL feature which for sure would be loved by players.
Last edited by Eksekk on 12 Oct 2020, 15:41, edited 4 times in total.

Wormwood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wormwood » 12 Oct 2020, 18:13

Greetings!

I just spent 20 min typing up a rant about the racial skills.... in the end it seems most of my confusion was due to the tracker's table of the same being rather out of date. L. Elves don't get a master bow racial bonus, D.Elves DO get a +1 Merc bonus (I think?), Dracoliches can only learn expert Dragon ability. If the table in the tracker could be updated to reflect how the racial skills function currentlyI'd appreciate it!

I still think D.Elves are way unbalanced compared to L.Elves with no actual reason to choose L.Elves over D.Elves other than for the increased challenge, very similar to humans in 7 (I really liked the idea of giving them a +1 bonus to all misc. skills, even it it means that, in terms of the merc. skill, if you wanna GM it you have to pick either a human or D.elf, no greedy dwarven priests lol).

Oh, and 2 questions that occured while I was trying out creating two crack-hybrid characters for attempted solo-play (Dragon-class D.Elf and a Necromancer-class Dragon/Future Dracolich for anyone curious).

1) Is it possible to have the starting skill slots completely empty during character creation? Or do I just have to live with my Dracolich having a staff skill he can never use? I guess it makes little difference in the long run, the combo would be so broken that having one less usable skill at creation could almost be considered balancing, lol.

2) Once more reffering to the racial skill table, the dragon gets racial bonus to dodging/unarmed and can learn these skills (I think unarmed comes with character creaton if race/class both = Dragon). However, when I tried both my half-dragon-half-D.elf and my necromancer dragon (tested out regular dragon, ghost/zombie dragon and dacolich just to see if there were any noticeable difference), only the living dragon necromancer was able to learn dodge and unarmed, while the D.Elf wth Dragon class and undead dragons all were unable to learn the unarmed/dodge skills. I guess my question is, bug or feature? xD

PS: Not gonna lie, loving the fact that this merge with the optional racial skill unlocker allows for some disgustingly overpowered and just plain bonkers combos (Dragon-monk? Vampire-paladin? Minotaur-warlock (DARKSTORM!)? Making humans an actual viable race choice? All perfectly brilliant), even if I think it has some kinks yet to be fully hammered out. Keep up the good work!

Kraust
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kraust » 12 Oct 2020, 20:07

Last edited by Kraust on 12 Oct 2020, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.

Kraust
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kraust » 12 Oct 2020, 21:32

i try upscale texture mm6 too

orig

hd

help me choes best version textures
V2

V1

orig.
Last edited by Kraust on 12 Oct 2020, 21:55, edited 3 times in total.

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 13 Oct 2020, 00:14

Question: There is some way to chage the TIMESCALE of the game? By the way, which is the timescale from MM678?

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 13 Oct 2020, 01:01

Another suggestion. Add dark/light resistance (preferably as an optional toggle)? Even if it'd be hidden from character stat screen, it would be nice to have some defense from these necros and liches in The Pit. My idea is that only day of protection should grant it, unless devs are able to make a custom spell in this case.
Kraust wrote:help me choes best version textures
V1 seems better for me.
alekssandros wrote:Question: There is some way to chage the TIMESCALE of the game? By the way, which is the timescale from MM678?
What do you mean by timescale?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Oct 2020, 03:00

joanthedark wrote: This happens with characters who have a high attack speed, specially if they use something that helps even further (a bow with "Swift", using the Haste spell, etc), I've also had that happen with a dual wielding dagger character and armsmaster, so it probably has something to do with the weapon's recovery time being less than a certain threshold during turn-based mode.
The character is a cleric without armsmaster and the slowest of the team actually. And I could kill a titan with constant shooting, so I think it has something wrong indeed. :D And it has been happening since after getting that bow. I remember when a character was fast and would attack a couple of times before the enemy turn. But attacking dozes of times without stopping (and no other ally acting either), that's not really something I have ever seen. :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Might and Magic”