Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 19.04.2020]

Unread postby raekuul » 22 May 2020, 19:15

You're not the first person to be utterly confused by The Tower In The Breach, and you won't be the last. That button in your screenshot is the correct thing to push (trying to reach them from the outside triggers the warp effect), there's one in each "spoke" of the tower. You should be able to open a door leading to a stairway.

Pipoo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pipoo » 23 May 2020, 21:21

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before.

Whats the spawn rate of new heroes in training centers? And when does it trigger? When you travel to a new town, or when some day have passed?

ktflash
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ktflash » 25 May 2020, 10:11

Not sure if i broke something or im just not understanding something. I pressed all 3 (btw that animation of being pushed is barely noticeable)buttons in each spokes, tried buttons in state "all pushed up" or "all pushed down".
I also found the stairway i think ur talking about, it got there through the librarary. I ended up in the 2nd lvl of 3 levels of the staircase.
There is a door in the lowest level i cant open if that is even a door and the door in the highest level of the staircase leads to 2 doors one to the left and one to the right. I somehow managed save load scumming to reach that room before by going through the highest level of the tower (before the mine, thought the teleport is triggered by traps so i tried save and load) and was in the room that you get to when you go through the highest level of the staircase. But now i am in the same situation as back then, i cant open that door or go anywhere else, where am i supposed to go after pushing the 3 buttons.

wuxiangjinxing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wuxiangjinxing » 26 May 2020, 04:15

I just met a strange problem so I want to see whether anyone has seen it before and can help me solve it.

For some unknown reasons, now mouse look is not turned on by default in my game, which is quite the opposite to my usual gameplay experiences. What's worse, even if I manually turn on mouse look by hitting mouse middle button or Caps lock, I cannot see the mouse in screen!

It's strange because I changed nothing in the game folder or reg. I'm so confused why this happened.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 26 May 2020, 11:56

ktflash wrote:Not sure if i broke something or im just not understanding something. I pressed all 3 (btw that animation of being pushed is barely noticeable)buttons in each spokes, tried buttons in state "all pushed up" or "all pushed down".
I also found the stairway i think ur talking about, it got there through the librarary. I ended up in the 2nd lvl of 3 levels of the staircase.
There is a door in the lowest level i cant open if that is even a door and the door in the highest level of the staircase leads to 2 doors one to the left and one to the right. I somehow managed save load scumming to reach that room before by going through the highest level of the tower (before the mine, thought the teleport is triggered by traps so i tried save and load) and was in the room that you get to when you go through the highest level of the staircase. But now i am in the same situation as back then, i cant open that door or go anywhere else, where am i supposed to go after pushing the 3 buttons.

You need to stand on the circle in the middle when you press the buttons. The party should get moved upward when you do this correctly. (The Breach's final puzzle really should be redone with NPCs instead of with buttons, it's rather finicky and extremely unclear)

I only just remembered this, but you'll also need to go Into Town and answer all the riddles before you can finish with The Tower.
Last edited by raekuul on 26 May 2020, 11:58, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 26 May 2020, 12:17

Hello.
Patch link have been updated: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ode7a80am8onv ... 0.zip?dl=0 (copied in the first post).
Localizations won't give glitches anymore, and quick spells sounds will work properly.
ktflash wrote:Not sure if i broke something or im just not understanding something. I pressed all 3 (btw that animation of being pushed is barely noticeable)buttons in each spokes, tried buttons in state "all pushed up" or "all pushed down".
This should be helpful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/36rv4j8qhj1yk ... e.mp4?dl=0
Your goal is to find Runaway Chaos (once you'll answer all his riddles, he'll join you as quest NPC) and bring him to the orange globe at top of the tower.
wuxiangjinxing wrote:For some unknown reasons, now mouse look is not turned on by default in my game
Check file "mm8.ini" in your game folder for line "MouseLook=1", and make sure you have files "MouseLookCursor.bmp" and "MouseLookCursorHD.bmp" in "Data" folder.
Jezebeth Noir wrote:Looks like the both of Russian localizations doesn't work with the last patch.
Fixed in today's patch (link above).

wuxiangjinxing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wuxiangjinxing » 26 May 2020, 12:28

Rodril wrote:Check file "mm8.ini" in your game folder for line "MouseLook=1", and make sure you have files "MouseLookCursor.bmp" and "MouseLookCursorHD.bmp" in "Data" folder.
Yes I do have those two files in that folder.

I also found out that if I change 'MouseLookUseAltMode' to 1, then the game can have mouselook activated by default, but I still cannot see the mouse in screen.

ktflash
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ktflash » 26 May 2020, 16:11

Rodril wrote:Hello.
Patch link have been updated: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ode7a80am8onv ... 0.zip?dl=0 (copied in the first post).
Localizations won't give glitches anymore, and quick spells sounds will work properly.
This should be helpful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/36rv4j8qhj1yk ... e.mp4?dl=0
Your goal is to find Runaway Chaos (once you'll answer all his riddles, he'll join you as quest NPC) and bring him to the orange globe at top of the tower.
wuxiangjinxing wrote:For some unknown reasons, now mouse look is not turned on by default in my game
Check file "mm8.ini" in your game folder for line "MouseLook=1", and make sure you have files "MouseLookCursor.bmp" and "MouseLookCursorHD.bmp" in "Data" folder.
Jezebeth Noir wrote:Looks like the both of Russian localizations doesn't work with the last patch.
Fixed in today's patch (link above).

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU
Things i had struggled with:
- Did not stand in the circles while pushing the buttons
- Did do stuff at night and or not pick up necessary enough people until quest could progress --> town of alvar was all doors closed

FML so happy i have done it now thanks again

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 27 May 2020, 10:40

Uh-oh :(
Call Ghostbusters! Rodril!
Last edited by Maslyonok on 27 May 2020, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 27 May 2020, 20:27

So I've gotten around to giving the latest (pathfinder) patch a go. And holy hell is this shit the most hillarious I've seen in a while. Am I alone in getting lagspikes so huge as to lock up my computer completely when the pathfinding thing is doing its thing? Usually if I'm running away and pass through some sort of doorway everything freezes up. The worst I saw was in the Temple of Baa in Castle Ironfist, when dealing with the approximately seventyseven duodecillion skellingtons on the top floor, froze my computer for a solid minute.

Other than that I wonder if the decorative doodads are getting indexed wrong? I just saw a head in a basket floating in midair in the Tomb of Ethric the Mad in Free Haven, I think it used to be a hanging corpse.

Is there any possibility now that we have an extra options menu (and for someone who doesn't pay attention like me, the button for that one should probably be redesigned, took me way too long to notice it) can we add the hotkeys for quick save and quick load to the extra keybinds menu? That would be really neat.

Edit: Ooh, another thing I could wish upon a star and ask for, is there any way to get an icon when a chest is "overfull"? I've seen a couple of chests I had to loot then re-open to get all the stuff, and there is nothing but gutfeel to tell you when a chest is like that. It'd be nice to see some indication.
Last edited by Klasiant on 27 May 2020, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 27 May 2020, 23:46

Klasiant wrote:So I've gotten around to giving the latest (pathfinder) patch a go. And holy hell is this **** the most hillarious I've seen in a while. Am I alone in getting lagspikes so huge as to lock up my computer completely when the pathfinding thing is doing its thing? Usually if I'm running away and pass through some sort of doorway everything freezes up. The worst I saw was in the Temple of Baa in Castle Ironfist, when dealing with the approximately seventyseven duodecillion skellingtons on the top floor, froze my computer for a solid minute.
Check compatibility mode of mm8.exe. Note is in the first post:
Rodril wrote:*WARNING* Pathfinding will cause huge lags if compatibility mode of mm8.exe set to win95. Disable compatibility mode or change it to WinXP SP3. Or disable pathfinder in "extra settings" menu.

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 28 May 2020, 11:23

Rodril wrote:Check compatibility mode of mm8.exe. Note is in the first post
Oops, sorry boss, me being blind. I've gotten so used to the thread being a bit of a nightmare to sift through, didn't even occur to me that the OP might have been edited.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 28 May 2020, 21:50

So, how does stealing work in MM7?
(I need formulas, numbers and nuances, ctrl+click is kinda known thing)

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 28 May 2020, 23:58

I've found a small, but INCREDIBLY annoying bug: Casting Town Portal from the spellbook in Enroth has about a 70% chance of instantly closing the map and teleporting me to Free Haven, giving me no option to pick anywhere else. I haven't been to another continent yet, so I can't say if it happens in the others.

Casting it from a quickslot does not seem to cause this problem.

kkkender
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kkkender » 29 May 2020, 05:28

Hi everyone, I've lost my way to the forum for the good half a year, but found it again :)
By the way, reading comments of this time, do we have Discord now? Is it public or only for mod developing need? Because I'd love to join but wasn't able to find a link
Klasiant wrote:I've found a small, but INCREDIBLY annoying bug: Casting Town Portal from the spellbook in Enroth has about a 70% chance of instantly closing the map and teleporting me to Free Haven, giving me no option to pick anywhere else. I haven't been to another continent yet, so I can't say if it happens in the others.

I and some others on the thread had this issue a while ago - it's your mouse unintentionally double-clicking, which activates the spell and picks the destination placed on that point of a screen immediately. The problem might occur with old mouses with worn mechanism or because of setting one click as double in mouse settings.

upd: also, Rodril, I've seen you asked for my savegame, but even if you still need it, I occasionally deleted all my saves by choosing wrong when deleting duplicate game install :( so, I'm downloading the latest version and if the problem reoccures, I'll send it
Last edited by kkkender on 29 May 2020, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 29 May 2020, 06:04

kkkender wrote:
Klasiant wrote:I've found a small, but INCREDIBLY annoying bug: Casting Town Portal from the spellbook in Enroth has about a 70% chance of instantly closing the map and teleporting me to Free Haven, giving me no option to pick anywhere else. I haven't been to another continent yet, so I can't say if it happens in the others.
I and some others on the thread had this issue a while ago - it's your mouse unintentionally double-clicking, which activates the spell and picks the destination placed on that point of a screen immediately. The problem might occur with old mouses with worn mechanism or because of setting one click as double in mouse settings.
MouseLook is most probably enabled. Press CapsLock before casting the spell (or disable MouseLook) and the issue is gone. So I doubt it is unintentional double click.

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 30 May 2020, 12:13

Hello, there is big bug where you can not select the guild, to become a membership. Thus it makes you unable to study skills like a merchant and so on?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 30 May 2020, 18:25

certain skills were moved to different locations, to account for MM7/8 not having "general skill" guilds.

For Merchant in particular, check the local temple.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 30 May 2020, 20:05

phamlongtuan wrote:Hello, there is big bug where you can not select the guild, to become a membership. Thus it makes you unable to study skills like a merchant and so on?
You need to do a second click on the membership text in order to purchase it (you will hear the gold sound effect).

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Jun 2020, 17:07

Several MM6 guilds are auto-joined at the start. Buccaneer's Lair and Blade's End, for example.

Return to “Might and Magic”