Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 29.03.2020]

Unread postby raekuul » 10 Apr 2020, 00:42

The lowest requirement in the entrance room is Perception 4, so I'm assuming all doors require at least Perception 4 - I did not check to see if any doors could be opened with less, only with 4 or greater. NWC may have incorrectly assumed that your characters with Perception 4 would also already have the expert rank in the skill and so only set it at the requirement for expert instead of what expert combined with the requirement would be (it could also mean that how skill ranks worked was changed at some point during development).

All experience can be earned from the Superior Temple with just Perception 4.
The entrance hall has 1 door that does not open at Perception 4 - it instead opens at Perception 8 (which should correspond to Perception Expert 4). Of note is that this is the closest door to the chest with the Quest Objective (the Letter from Xenofex) in it.

My proposals are therefore:
1) All doors updated to require Perception 8 instead of Perception 4
2) The doors' damage script include text stating "Perception Skill Not High Enough"
Last edited by raekuul on 10 Apr 2020, 00:48, edited 6 times in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Apr 2020, 01:45

SpectralDragon wrote:Currently, in MMMerge, swamp trees (as seen in Mire of the Damned) look like disgusting green glitchy mess, like a color palette wasn´t right for them.
Ah, that's definitely what happened. To fix, proper palette index needs to be put into SFT.txt. To find it, add the sprite as extracted from MM6 into some LOD for sprites (I suggest creating a new temporary LOD for that). MMArchive would find the palette and display it below the preview.
Last edited by GrayFace on 10 Apr 2020, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 10 Apr 2020, 02:57

andrey wrote:Another option is to add explanation message when the character gets damage. Like "Perception is not high enough", but more in the style of Baa temple podiums.
raekuul wrote:2) The doors' damage script include text stating "Perception Skill Not High Enough"
These are very good choices, and since entering the temple itself says: "You're not a member of Baa, begone!" Perhaps something along the lines of "You're not perceptive enough, begone!" would merge well in the... well... merge mod. But I assume it would take more effort implementing that than simply editting the Podium text, but I would be fine with either option because they fix the confusion in their own way.
SpectralDragon wrote:Currently, in MMMerge, swamp trees (as seen in Mire of the Damned) look like disgusting green glitchy mess, like a color palette wasn´t right for them.
I can confirm they have a graphical glitch:

I also take the opportunity here to mention a belt which is also affected by a similar visual glitch (only in the outerworld, not in the inventory):

And last but not least, the NPC who gives you the statuettes/figurines quest has a dialogue for the "Guardian Angel" spell, but since characters are using mm8 versions of spells, this specific spell is absent from the Spirit Magic repository. It is a dialogue that might be confusing for people who never played mm6 and are getting their hang of Enroth for the first time in the Merge mod.
Last edited by joanthedark on 10 Apr 2020, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 10 Apr 2020, 06:14

crimson wrote:How can you select the button for your followers / hirelings? The button on your bottom-right screen just over the map?

I've seen a clip, and it can be done, the mouse cursor can move independently from the camera. As it stands right now, my mouse cursor is fixed / centered on the screen and cannot move independently from the camera. There is no way i can select the Hirelings button, or any other HUD element on the screen. I select my characters with TAB or the numeric keys. A key to select my Hirelings, will also be good enough, but i don't know any.
i was pointed to the mm8.ini in the game directory.
set mouselook=0 instead of the value thats there, then it should work. (worked for me)
Last edited by justl on 10 Apr 2020, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 10 Apr 2020, 06:52

GrayFace wrote:Ah, that's definitely what happened. To fix, proper palette index needs to be put into SFT.txt. To find it, add the sprite as extracted from MM6 into some LOD for sprites (I suggest creating a new temporary LOD for that). MMArchive would find the palette and display it below the preview.
Tooo bad I can't because I'm a trash programmer and I've actually tried to fix MMMerge like that, ended up breaking it even more. That's why I've linked the fixed nature and landscape sprites in the drive folder on the previous page, since you know much much better how to fix those sprites (you still remember my attempt at creating different-colored Crystal Dragons/MM8 enemies for your next base/vanilla MM8 patch version? ^^; ) ... and besides, I wish to fix those for everyone else here, not just myself.
joanthedark wrote:I can confirm they have a graphical glitch:

I also take the opportunity here to mention a belt which is also affected by a similar visual glitch (only in the outerworld, not in the inventory):
That's what I mean with "fixed nature and landscape" aspect when I linked the MM6 sprite folder in here, 1 page ago. What's even better, you can also see that other trees look like vomit of rogue pixels as well and let's be honest, I really don't think I'm the only one wishing to see this fixed for everyone by this point. ^^;

I'll try to find the fixed sprite for the belt too, thanks, joanthedark. :tsup: For now, if you wish to test those (as well as what GrayFace said), you can find those fixed sprites here (I made sure they're all nice-looking before extracting them from base/vanilla MM6 .lods):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ukpNgG ... PULVb/view

MMArchive should show in a preview which ones are messed up inside MMMerge .lod files.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 10 Apr 2020, 07:01, edited 4 times in total.
Yes?

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 10 Apr 2020, 08:10

I mentioned our discussion in the issue https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/565
joanthedark wrote: I can confirm they have a graphical glitch:

There is already an issue for that. I added your examples there: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/344
joanthedark wrote: And last but not least, the NPC who gives you the statuettes/figurines quest has a dialogue for the "Guardian Angel" spell, but since characters are using mm8 versions of spells, this specific spell is absent from the Spirit Magic repository. It is a dialogue that might be confusing for people who never played mm6 and are getting their hang of Enroth for the first time in the Merge mod.
For now there are some ideas to reimplement MM6-7 spells ( https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/12 ) as some kind of "old forgotten spells". Though, if it is too misleading, it might be an option to temporary switch it off or change text to let people know that nobody saw that spell for years (latter option might be even permanent).

There was similar discussion about dark containment: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/298 I added your example there. Also see page 169 (for now) of the tracker doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xf4 ... s=5e7f5e57 .

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 10 Apr 2020, 08:38

andrey wrote:There is already an issue for that. I added your examples there: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/344
You didn't seem to notice the drive folder I linked here though: one folder in it (called "Fixed and missing plants and landscape") contains fixed versions of those swamp trees aside other sprites I found bizarre. I'll try to provide the fixed version of that sprite for the belt (at least) soon enough.

Just a heads-up. ^^;
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 10 Apr 2020, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 10 Apr 2020, 08:48

SpectralDragon wrote:
Good. Thanks!
raekuul wrote:
joanthedark wrote:
I looked at decompiled quest scripts and saw that all doors require Perception 4 (and not necessarily expert), and 1 door requires 8 repair (!). It is, actually, that problematic door. Submitted a bug: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/574 There you also have attached save that confirms it.

UPD: Also, it always tries to damage player 4, rather than current player. I guess, for joanthedark the door damaged first player because you have only 2.
Last edited by andrey on 10 Apr 2020, 10:49, edited 2 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 10 Apr 2020, 10:58

andrey wrote:Good. Thanks!
No worries. If there are specific ones, I˙ll add them again.
joanthedark wrote: :gong:
You mean this one?
I found it in MM7 sprites.lod under the name "obj101" (full name: obj101.bmp).

If yes, then add this one for the Issue too together with the link to the drive with mm6 sprite files, please, Andrey. ^^;
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 10 Apr 2020, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 10 Apr 2020, 11:06

SpectralDragon wrote: If yes, then add this one for the Issue too together with the link to the drive with mm6 sprite files, please, Andrey. ^^;
Yes, I think it is this one.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 10 Apr 2020, 14:02

andrey wrote:I looked at decompiled quest scripts and saw that all doors require Perception 4 (and not necessarily expert), and 1 door requires 8 repair (!). It is, actually, that problematic door. Submitted a bug: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/574 There you also have attached save that confirms it.

UPD: Also, it always tries to damage player 4, rather than current player. I guess, for joanthedark the door damaged first player because you have only 2.
That door requiring Repair instead of Perception might be a merge-specific change - it properly requires Perception in MM6. By which I mean, I had rank 60 in every skill except Perception upon entering, and only raised Perception by one rank at a time until a given door would open.

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 10 Apr 2020, 14:08

raekuul wrote: That door requiring Repair instead of Perception might be a merge-specific change - it properly requires Perception in MM6. By which I mean, I had rank 60 in every skill except Perception upon entering, and only raised Perception by one rank at a time until a given door would open.
cthscr wrote:
also confirmed it. It is a merge-specific error.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 10 Apr 2020, 22:12

Honestly, what I REALLY miss in Merge is this option at Enroth (MM6) part of it, since I doubt there is an Arcomage quest in that realm/area of the mod.

Since in the end, one lone well in Deyja just wouldn't cut it if you ask me. I'd totally wish to make my party members drunk at those inns while they can play Arcomage at ones in Antagarich and Jadame all they wish. ^^;
Yes?

Ocsicnarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ocsicnarf » 11 Apr 2020, 23:27

Oh Man , Having a blast so far.

switched to the latest 29.03 version.

I noticed the UI layout,colors+icons are not changing according to the continent option.
We have to manually change it under controls-video options.

Also, for the perfectionists out there, music 14 is cut short on the GOG install comparing to the original MM8 play CD.
The last 1 or so min continues on music 15... replaced it from my original mm8 play CD...

cheers
Last edited by Ocsicnarf on 11 Apr 2020, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 12 Apr 2020, 00:34

SpectralDragon wrote:Honestly, what I REALLY miss in Merge is this option at Enroth (MM6) part of it, since I doubt there is an Arcomage quest in that realm/area of the mod.

Since in the end, one lone well in Deyja just wouldn't cut it if you ask me. I'd totally wish to make my party members drunk at those inns while they can play Arcomage at ones in Antagarich and Jadame all they wish. ^^;
Vampires have a pretty awesome graphic when drunk. Blood dripping from their face while they have a crazed look.

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 12 Apr 2020, 16:41

Attuning the telelocator with endurance causes the debyg console to appear, and wont progress the quest.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:483: cannot convert 'string' to 'unsigned short'

stack traceback:
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua: in function '__newindex'
D:\GoG\Might and Magic 8/Scripts/Core/evt.lua:1485: in function '__newindex'
D:\GoG\Might and Magic 8/Scripts/Core/evt.lua:432: in function <D:\GoG\Might and Magic 8/Scripts/Core/evt.lua:420>
D:\GoG\Might and Magic 8/Scripts/Core/evt.lua:458: in function 'Set'
...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Quest_SavingGoobers.lua:366: in function 'AttuneStat'
...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Quest_SavingGoobers.lua:430: in function <...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Quest_SavingGoobers.lua:430>
... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:591: in function <... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:543>

arguments of '__newindex':
(*temporary) = (table: 0x03ad8df0)
(*temporary) = 55948370
(*temporary) = "DiseaseGreen"

local variables of '__newindex':
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = ("cdata<unsigned short *>: 0x0355b452")
(*temporary) = "uint16_t*"
(*temporary) = ("cdata<unsigned short *>: 0x0355b452")
(*temporary) = 6.0270617622893e-291

upvalues of '__newindex':
assertnum = (function: 0x03adae80)
Protect = (function: 0x03ae58e0)
size = 2
ffi = (table: 0x0467fca8)
type = "uint16_t*"
Unprotect = (function: 0x03af6b28)

stack traceback:
[builtin#19]: at 0x03505960
... Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:319: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'v':
evtId = 995
seq = 0

local variables of 'v':
t = (table: 0x20ac8680)

upvalues of 'v':
CurrentNPC = 803
CurrentQuests = (table: 0x20b404a0)
UpdateCurrentQuests = (function: 0x20991ef0)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 12 Apr 2020, 18:12

Dess wrote:Attuning the telelocator with endurance causes the debyg console to appear, and wont progress the quest.
Which version do you have? This is a known (and critically important) issue, which should have been fixed: https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/issues/485

Meanwhile there is a workaround:
- In the game folder open the file Scripts/Global/Quest_SavingGoobers.lua
- Find a line

Code: Select all

local AttuneEffects = {"Weak", "Insane", "Cursed", "Disease1", "Asleep", "Afraid", "Drunk"}
It should be somewhere around line 358.
- Change Disease1 to DiseasedGreen
- Open the game, load, and try again.

Please, let me know if it does not help.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 12 Apr 2020, 19:21

In last pack you should search for DiseaseGreen. Still have to change it to DiseasedGreen.

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 12 Apr 2020, 20:51

As with many things in life, adding a "d" made all the difference, it works now, cheers.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 15 Apr 2020, 12:13

https://tcrf.net/Might_and_Magic_VIII:_ ... _Destroyer

stumbled on the internet on this:

there are few unused things from mm8 it seems - loading screens, drunken lines, etc.
maybe they could also be used in our merge?
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Return to “Might and Magic”