Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby NotABroom » 03 Mar 2020, 21:53

Are monsters that are needed for bounty supposed to spawn randomly in the map where you accept the quest? First I had a random priest of baa in the Tularean Forest. And this time I had a lonely crusader spawning. He showed a lot of courage when he single handedly took on the fight with the entire Pit.
Last edited by NotABroom on 03 Mar 2020, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 03 Mar 2020, 22:39

immolation+invisibility => hurt close creatures and STAY invisible, both in the merge and in vanilla.
For some reason I remember this specifically *not* working in MM7? But it might not be "it breaks invisible" and more "it breaks neutrality" which is just as bad in 7...

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2020, 21:43

eilacomeva wrote:Btw, the bug with the Artemis bow is here but not in gitlab, but its status is not clear to me
- https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... is#p371513 says it's intentional, but I don't see anything in its description(?)
- plenty of posts later (just search for "Artemis") mention it pushes enemies just like the dragon skill, which it does.
Well, it is possible that it once was mentioned, but was later overwritten, like maybe when the items got subtiered. (see subtiers on tracker)

If it really isn't there even though Rodril said it would be, feel free to make it into an Issue.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2020, 21:45

eilacomeva wrote:
Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote: Thank you; it bothered me so much that I rewrote the bisecting thing in the least adequate language possible (among the non ridiculous candidates), ie POSIX shell... here it is, for your horror... :D
Can't read that code. It is too alien to me. I'm just a poor Java / C# guy currently. And occasionally Javascript. Too different. :D :D
Well, the point is that it's a ridiculously inadequate tool for the job(*), so I guess that's ok... I just felt stupid writing what amounts to a binary search, so I made it a little less boring by using the wrong tool for the job.

(*) it's basically the unix equivalent of a batch file, except it's a bit less horrible
Yeah, I know. But I still prefer Windows cmd and batches. Even wrote a few things in that, believe it or not. Like an app launcher that always launches the newest version deterministically (made at my work for a customer). :D :D :D (... and that is about it :D )

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2020, 21:48

eilacomeva wrote: Ok, great. Btw, about the screenshot, does windows now support some tool to verify checksum? Or did you need to have Sibernethy install some program to do that?
There is a discussion about that somewhere, including details (using an exe to gather a checksum of a working installation and comparing it to a checksum of the target installation)

Also Windows isn't Unix or Linux, we don't give a damn if it supports it natively or not, somebody must've made it already. :D :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2020, 21:50

Toby wrote:Good Evening, everyone. I'm the new guy, Toby (actually I have been around a long time but I never intervened until now). I hope I can help Templayer, Spectra and everyone else who contributed to the merge to make this piece of art a little bit better for everyone. :D
Excellent work at the guard portraits, both you and GDSpectra. :applause:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2020, 21:52

eilacomeva wrote:Probably I'm just the only one who didn't know this trick, but anyway: immolation+invisibility => hurt close creatures and STAY invisible, both in the merge and in vanilla.

Also a silly thing: you can have dead monsters with non zero HP, IIUC because some of their allies have power cure - savegames at https://ulozto.net/tam/_WIS1U5xwvPWS - btw, reanimate the priests and sometimes they will heal you as a side effect, hurrah!
Please make both into GitLab Issues. I'll fix the labels if necessarily. And add that save also directly to the Issue as an attachment - it is always good to have backups. Ulozto deletes files rather often, as soon as somebody reports it for copyright infringement, which is pretty much as simple as clicking a button.

"btw, reanimate the priests and sometimes they will heal you as a side effect, hurrah!" - Why the hell didn't I ever think of that?!? :D :D

AllVladin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AllVladin » 05 Mar 2020, 12:50

Hi fellas,

I came across an interesting question. Do bolsted monsters give more XP per kill? And if not, why?

Thanks,

AV.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 05 Mar 2020, 18:31

eilacomeva wrote: Ok, great. Btw, about the screenshot, does windows now support some tool to verify checksum? Or did you need to have Sibernethy install some program to do that?
One, your quoting was a bit wonky. :D

Second, honestly, I dunno. We all on Discord basically had to bundle together in order to help Sibernethy and the screenshot shows a nifty little program Emjayen told us about, which checks the integrity of one person´s MMMerge installation against another person˙s MMMerge installation, noting errors and whatnots (as long as one of them has a working stabile installation of it and they˙re both the same version). That˙s about as much as I know because I˙m a trash programmer. ^^; ^^;
Templayer wrote:
Toby wrote:Good Evening, everyone. I'm the new guy, Toby (actually I have been around a long time but I never intervened until now). I hope I can help Templayer, Spectra and everyone else who contributed to the merge to make this piece of art a little bit better for everyone. :D
Excellent work at the guard portraits, both you and GDSpectra. :applause:
:tsup: :tsup:
Yes?

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 19:56

SpectralDragon wrote:
One, your quoting was a bit wonky. :D

Second, honestly, I dunno. We all on Discord basically had to bundle together in order to help Sibernethy and the screenshot shows a nifty little program Emjayen told us about, which checks the integrity of one person´s MMMerge installation against another person˙s MMMerge installation, noting errors and whatnots (as long as one of them has a working stabile installation of it and they˙re both the same version). That˙s about as much as I know because I˙m a trash programmer. ^^; ^^;
D'oh!

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 19:58

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:Probably I'm just the only one who didn't know this trick, but anyway: immolation+invisibility => hurt close creatures and STAY invisible, both in the merge and in vanilla.

Also a silly thing: you can have dead monsters with non zero HP, IIUC because some of their allies have power cure - savegames at https://ulozto.net/tam/_WIS1U5xwvPWS - btw, reanimate the priests and sometimes they will heal you as a side effect, hurrah!
Please make both into GitLab Issues. I'll fix the labels if necessarily. And add that save also directly to the Issue as an attachment - it is always good to have backups. Ulozto deletes files rather often, as soon as somebody reports it for copyright infringement, which is pretty much as simple as clicking a button.

"btw, reanimate the priests and sometimes they will heal you as a side effect, hurrah!" - Why the hell didn't I ever think of that?!? :D :D
About you, I don't know; me, I didn't think of that, I saw it happen and I was puzzled until, well, I wasn't :D

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 20:02

Templayer wrote:
There is a discussion about that somewhere, including details (using an exe to gather a checksum of a working installation and comparing it to a checksum of the target installation)

Also Windows isn't Unix or Linux, we don't give a damn if it supports it natively or not, somebody must've made it already. :D :D
While the syntax is slightly different, any unix variant I'm aware of has shaNNNsum (coreutils), shaNNN (bsd), shasum (perl) or at least openssl installed by default, and if it's not you can suggest the exact incantation to install it... ;p

More seriously, I knew that since some time windows has a "right click to show wsha256", I was just wondering if they added a way to verify that because it would be cool to have (and spare the "install xyz, it's not difficult I swear"...)

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 20:06

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:
Templayer wrote: Can't read that code. It is too alien to me. I'm just a poor Java / C# guy currently. And occasionally Javascript. Too different. :D :D
Well, the point is that it's a ridiculously inadequate tool for the job(*), so I guess that's ok... I just felt stupid writing what amounts to a binary search, so I made it a little less boring by using the wrong tool for the job.

(*) it's basically the unix equivalent of a batch file, except it's a bit less horrible
Yeah, I know. But I still prefer Windows cmd and batches. Even wrote a few things in that, believe it or not. Like an app launcher that always launches the newest version deterministically (made at my work for a customer). :D :D :D (... and that is about it :D )
No you don't. Really, not. :disagree:
Powershell, yes. But while the shell sucks, cmd.exe is just too much worse in too many ways to count, come on!
---
About the launcher: something like google chrome and chrome.exe? I like the idea if that's what you did!

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 20:08

Templayer wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:Btw, the bug with the Artemis bow is here but not in gitlab, but its status is not clear to me
- https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... is#p371513 says it's intentional, but I don't see anything in its description(?)
- plenty of posts later (just search for "Artemis") mention it pushes enemies just like the dragon skill, which it does.
Well, it is possible that it once was mentioned, but was later overwritten, like maybe when the items got subtiered. (see subtiers on tracker)

If it really isn't there even though Rodril said it would be, feel free to make it into an Issue.
(sigh) I will.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 20:34

Btw, not sure if it's a bug or intended, but I found a zombie npc in enroth - https://ulozto.net/file/yMThSycsI5qo/zombie-npc-dod

Also the water master bug, the last two arguments to CastFollowerSpells are inverted for water masters and fly npcs;
try https://ulozto.net/file/0RtRyQ8qXOUs/wa ... er-bug-dod, edit Scripts/Global/NPCFollowersSkill.lua and see for yourself (I only verified the water master to be honest).
I propose to add a check to NPCFollowersSkill (or CastSpellDirect?) that checks if "Mastery" is a valid value, but I'm not sure what to do if it's not - show a message to the user? log to errorlog.txt?

I hereby promise I shall join gitlab (you just have no idea how much time I waste on silly issues like username etc).

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 20:43

Other than that, the slightly less ridiculous reason is that there's a "CastSpellDirect(88)" but the definition of CastSpellDirect doesn't look like it allows optional arguments, so I will have to learn at least some lua basics before I start screwing up everything... any recommendation or should I just jump into https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html or https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/?

Btw, "ImporvedConnector" :D

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 05 Mar 2020, 21:30

eilacomeva wrote:Other than that, the slightly less ridiculous reason is that there's a "CastSpellDirect(88)" but the definition of CastSpellDirect doesn't look like it allows optional arguments
function CastSpellDirect(SpellId, Skill, Mastery, Caster, Target) at Scripts/Structs/After/HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua. All those 'or _number_' are default values.
eilacomeva wrote:so I will have to learn at least some lua basics before I start screwing up everything... any recommendation or should I just jump into https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html or https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/?
PIL probably, but I don't know lua so YMMV.
Last edited by cthscr on 05 Mar 2020, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 05 Mar 2020, 21:47

eilacomeva wrote:Also the water master bug, the last two arguments to CastFollowerSpells are inverted for water masters and fly npcs;
try https://ulozto.net/file/0RtRyQ8qXOUs/wa ... er-bug-dod, edit Scripts/Global/NPCFollowersSkill.lua and see for yourself (I only verified the water master to be honest).
I propose to add a check to NPCFollowersSkill (or CastSpellDirect?) that checks if "Mastery" is a valid value, but I'm not sure what to do if it's not - show a message to the user? log to errorlog.txt?
Good catch.

Log(Merge.Log.Error, "Invalid skill mastery at CastFollowersSpell; Spell %d", Spell), I guess. Or something like that.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 05 Mar 2020, 21:51

cthscr wrote:
eilacomeva wrote:Other than that, the slightly less ridiculous reason is that there's a "CastSpellDirect(88)" but the definition of CastSpellDirect doesn't look like it allows optional arguments
function CastSpellDirect(SpellId, Skill, Mastery, Caster, Target) at Scripts/Structs/After/HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua. All those 'or _number_' are default values.
I guessed that, it's similar to eg perl; what fooled me is that I don't see anything in the signature suggesting that the parameters are optional, so I feel that I should learn some lua basics or it may come back to bite me later.
Oh, and I messed up about the inversion - it's

Code: Select all

CastFollowersSpell(Spell, Skill, Mastery)
, so N hours is

Code: Select all

CastFollowersSpell(Spell, N, 3)
if a spell lasts an hour at master level as in fly & water walk, it looks like master=3 and I'm not sure why it was "(Spell, 3, 10)", maybe originally it was 10=master?
eilacomeva wrote:so I will have to learn at least some lua basics before I start screwing up everything... any recommendation or should I just jump into https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html or https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/?
PIL probably, but I don't know lua so YMMV.[/quote][/quote]
Ok, thank you - I'm just looking to learn enough to provide a few patches without screwing things up.
Last edited by eilacomeva on 05 Mar 2020, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 05 Mar 2020, 22:12

eilacomeva wrote:I'm not sure why it was "(Spell, 3, 10)", maybe originally it was 10=master?
I'd say someone has changed parameters order in function definition once.

Return to “Might and Magic”