Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby LadySoulCrystal » 15 Feb 2020, 22:26

Templayer wrote:
LadySoulCrystal wrote: EDIT:

Unrelated, went to go boot up my game this morning and was hit with this script and then an infinite death cutscene. Earlier save loaded fine, wasn't sure if this needed to be reported as i can't make too much of the script. Looks like something is out of bounds, but what?

Code: Select all

Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1383: array index (0) out of bounds [0, -1]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1383: in function '__index'
	...mes\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\NPCMercenaries.lua:578: in function 'v'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of '__index':
	t = (table: 0x2566f638)
	a = 0
	v = nil

local variables of '__index':
	aorig = 0
	a1 = 0
	n = 0

upvalues of '__index':
	ptr = nil
	u4 = (table: 0x057b5e88)
	GetPtr = (function: 0x057a1a18)
	obj = (table: 0x05a8f958)
	o = 12044876
	assertnum = (function: 0x05770dc8)
	error = (function: 0x0579a080)
	type = (function: builtin#3)
	SetLen = (function: 0x05a7fde8)
	low = 0
	GetLen = (function: 0x05a88320)
	lenP = 12044896
	lenA = (table: 0x057a1ef0)
	count = 5
	size = 4
	_index = nil
	_newindex = nil
	tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
	beyondLen = nil
	f = (function: 0x05b0d1b8)
	format = (function: builtin#91)
	sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
	tostring = (function: builtin#18)
	tostring2 = (function: 0x0579d8a8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
LadySoulCrystal wrote:I don't have the save anymore, (sorry about that) but i can say that before i had the issue I had used several Decks of Fate on my Master Archer who had already happened to be at 255 for her accuracy (just wanted to get them out of my inventory). Its possible i caused an overflow that only triggered when the game attempted to reload. However I can see in the code that it mentioned NPCMercenaries, which at the time i had no followers. Unless Mercenaries refers to anyone in your party, in which case I have a group of five.

I do have some saves before I dropped my Enroth items off and warped to Antigarich, so if you want me to test my Deck of Fate theory I can (same with Magic Lamp, i have some of those too)
Both have been added to the Bug Tracker and made into GitLab Issues:
Distorted Skybox
Infinite Death Cutscene

Testing would be very nice. :-D :tsup:
I tested several times with both Magic Lamps and decks of fate and could not replicate the glitch. Makes me wonder/worried that it was a freak glitch incident that the games code did. If it ever does come back up again i will be sure to make a copy of that save file and hold onto it. I did use Notepad++ just to glance over the lines of code that were mentioned in the error and i feel like it had something to do with whatever mercenary the game tried to generate in a training camp. Maybe it goofed when trying to load? Hope no one else experiences this glitch :c

TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 16 Feb 2020, 05:30

Who can become GM Light Magic? I've started in MM6. My priest has both MM6 promotions (High Priest) and can only become Light Master. Do I need the promotion quests in MM7 or 8 too to gain eligibility for GM Light?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Feb 2020, 09:02

TheAnyKey wrote:Who can become GM Light Magic? I've started in MM6. My priest has both MM6 promotions (High Priest) and can only become Light Master. Do I need the promotion quests in MM7 or 8 too to gain eligibility for GM Light?
That is correct - you need either MM7 or MM8 Priest of Light promotion. I think.

Remember, there were no ceilings for skills in MM6. Rodril solved it by High Priest being able to master both light and dark, but not GM.

All of this is in my tracker in my signature. Please check it out.

EDIT: If you do not like it, feel free to change it - it is a text table. *your installation folder*\Data\Tables\Class Skills.txt
Open via GrayFace's TxtEdit (google for a download). Find HighPriest, change the Light Magic from M to G (or do any other changes you want), save the file, open the game and load the save. Voila.
Last edited by Templayer on 16 Feb 2020, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Feb 2020, 09:07

LadySoulCrystal wrote: I tested several times with both Magic Lamps and decks of fate and could not replicate the glitch. Makes me wonder/worried that it was a freak glitch incident that the games code did. If it ever does come back up again i will be sure to make a copy of that save file and hold onto it. I did use Notepad++ just to glance over the lines of code that were mentioned in the error and i feel like it had something to do with whatever mercenary the game tried to generate in a training camp. Maybe it goofed when trying to load? Hope no one else experiences this glitch :c
Added to the original report on the Bug Tracker and into the GitLab Issue.

Anything is possible. :P

Also I have modified the Credits Tracker to include more people. At this point we probably had more testers than any modern studio. Or not, since most modern AAA gaming studios consider every customer to be a betatester. :tired: :|

Bug Catchers: Strobe, Yaknchuk, Anubis' dad, spawnsen, Draco Agariz, Xfing, Templayer, CERBOT, Phobos, Vetrinus, Flr, panjaster, Milky1988, cuthalion, zealot, Daedros, MagicIsMight, NotABroom, FacelessMaster, Klasiant, 1qwop0, Anerag, Piottor, Mozaki, Neron Darkiuss, Jesse Noland (Jessen), Treesprite17, tm317, Kaikhorus, Jaojin, justl, Roticet, Ronin, qtish, Polyhedricus, kristal, Mommyiamnotacow, fortego, fr3aksh0w, Kliff, Hawklords, Lucius, Jamesx, Crusader_bin, LupusArmis, schubi, toreadorlelder, Pixoala, Chokk, tinywhitecat, loboramdk, Jezebeth Noir, alekssandros, pheYonyx, raekuul, Andrey Boytsov, Maslyonok, ceallachserene, Thonkerton, thiefy, QuicksilverLamp, EstelRandir, UnknownHuman, darkkat, candida, LordInsane, DrDeft, Butcer, Kiruha, orzie, Arch-vile, kkkender, mimickxd, Kahooli, fanasilver, ValexAV, Jaojin, Victor Tan, Jaojin, Felix Esch, FireandCake, joanthedark, goober, Khorghakh, LadySoulCrystal, BMJedi

Khorghakh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Khorghakh » 16 Feb 2020, 10:33

Templayer wrote: ...
Also I have modified the Credits Tracker to include more people. At this point we probably had more testers than any modern studio. Or not, since most modern AAA gaming studios consider every customer to be a betatester. :tired: :|
That comment is so depressingly true. Not to mention certain companies that will use modders to fix their games for them. :)

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Feb 2020, 11:30

Khorghakh wrote:
Templayer wrote: ...
That comment is so depressingly true. Not to mention certain companies that will use modders to fix their games for them. :)
Or so they think, but some games are even beyond that. *cough* Fallout 76 *cough*

And two of my favourite Indie studios (InXile and Obsidian) were brought by Microsoft. :canthear:

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 16 Feb 2020, 15:27

Hello everyone! Played again after a long while. It seems, with latest patch Verdant does not give any quests. Already happened twice. After some intro words she continues to "Time travel guide", "Hint", etc. without mentioning infused metal rod. Will she give the quest later? If not, it is a quite bad bug.

Anyone knows a workaround?

Save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IVtqaT ... sp=sharing
(just reach an empty tower and talk to her, for me she consistently does not give quest)

andrey
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andrey » 16 Feb 2020, 16:40

OK, after very long while she gave me a connector gem and a quest for infused metal rod.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 16 Feb 2020, 17:56

TheAnyKey wrote:Who can become GM Light Magic? I've started in MM6. My priest has both MM6 promotions (High Priest) and can only become Light Master. Do I need the promotion quests in MM7 or 8 too to gain eligibility for GM Light?
Talk to the dark/light master teacher, they will tell you to choose the path of dark/light (for your CURRENTLY CHOSEN character),
so you will eg lose all your dark spells and become eligible to light GM.

When I did it it took me FOREVER for him to understand that yes means yes, don't be discouraged if the bug is still there.

Oh, btw, when I did it I wanted sorcerer=>light and cleric=>dark, but my sorcerer knew a couple of dark spells, those were erased ALSO from my cleric - not sure if it's been fixed since.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 16 Feb 2020, 18:07

@templayer thank you
Btw, is there any way to query/dump to stdout info from the savegames?
I was thinking of the bug where people lost some skill, any grayface utility or something to check the level of skill X in a bunch of savegames? think
$ deepmagic -query 'lightarmor.level <= 4' *.dod
(or maybe dumping to a known format (csv, json, recutils, just human readable something) and apply existing programs)

but really, anything faster than opening the game, loading, checking, exiting, restoring an old version of a save, loop.

XXX that's just out of curiosity, I've only met that kind of bug once months ago, don't lose your sleep over it! :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Feb 2020, 20:52

eilacomeva wrote: When I did it it took me FOREVER for him to understand that yes means yes, don't be discouraged if the bug is still there.

Oh, btw, when I did it I wanted sorcerer=>light and cleric=>dark, but my sorcerer knew a couple of dark spells, those were erased ALSO from my cleric - not sure if it's been fixed since.
The input bug should already be fixed, I think, but I do not remember anybody reporting that second thing with a Path change.
Added to the Bug Tracker and as an GitLab Issue.

Character allignment change also removes the opposite allignment spells from other party members (while their class stays)

EDIT:
cthscr commented on the GitLab Issue:
It's done for Game.CurrentPlayer only (if we speak about Enroth). Is it reproducible?
Last edited by Templayer on 16 Feb 2020, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Feb 2020, 20:53

eilacomeva wrote:@templayer thank you
Btw, is there any way to query/dump to stdout info from the savegames?
I was thinking of the bug where people lost some skill, any grayface utility or something to check the level of skill X in a bunch of savegames? think
$ deepmagic -query 'lightarmor.level <= 4' *.dod
(or maybe dumping to a known format (csv, json, recutils, just human readable something) and apply existing programs)

but really, anything faster than opening the game, loading, checking, exiting, restoring an old version of a save, loop.

XXX that's just out of curiosity, I've only met that kind of bug once months ago, don't lose your sleep over it! :D
That's more of a question for cthscr.
cthscr wrote:*Notification incoming*

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Feb 2020, 20:55

andrey wrote:OK, after very long while she gave me a connector gem and a quest for infused metal rod.
Welcome back!

We now have a GitLab project, which hosts a Community Branch with community made content, and a bugfix branch for the base merge!

Community Branch README

Issues (i.e. an actual bug and suggestion tracker, with filters, priorities, search, etc.)

EDIT: The README is quite outdated at this point, the Community Branch now has a settings file so that you can toggle features.
cthscr wrote:*THUD*
Could you update it?
Last edited by Templayer on 16 Feb 2020, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 17 Feb 2020, 03:53

@Templayer, It appears that the mod creator anticipated and worked around the potential archdruid quest "bug" by simply making every night flagged as the night of a full moon. @LadySoulCrytstal is right that you can just clear the dungeon and pray at the altar on any day. So, it's not really a "bug" any more, unless you creator types just really, really want to restore the "phases of the moon" into the calendar in MM6 for the merge. As far as I can recall, it was never relevant at any time except for this one MM6 promotion quest.

Maybe it was relevant in Blackshire with the werewolf peasants inhabiting the town before completing the Lair of Wolf side quest?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 17 Feb 2020, 13:35

The moon cycles of Enroth-The-Planet are 7 days each, with the full moon occurring precisely on the 15th of the month.

But you'd need to restore some form of UI for tracking the moon phase before restoring the timing requirement - with the first promotion you're outright given a list of four specific days.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Feb 2020, 20:01

BMJedi wrote:@Templayer, It appears that the mod creator anticipated and worked around the potential archdruid quest "bug" by simply making every night flagged as the night of a full moon. @LadySoulCrytstal is right that you can just clear the dungeon and pray at the altar on any day. So, it's not really a "bug" any more, unless you creator types just really, really want to restore the "phases of the moon" into the calendar in MM6 for the merge. As far as I can recall, it was never relevant at any time except for this one MM6 promotion quest.

Maybe it was relevant in Blackshire with the werewolf peasants inhabiting the town before completing the Lair of Wolf side quest?
It is not a bug per say, but it is a parity issue.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Feb 2020, 20:24

raekuul wrote:The moon cycles of Enroth-The-Planet are 7 days each, with the full moon occurring precisely on the 15th of the month.

But you'd need to restore some form of UI for tracking the moon phase before restoring the timing requirement - with the first promotion you're outright given a list of four specific days.
BMJedi wrote:Maybe it was relevant in Blackshire with the werewolf peasants inhabiting the town before completing the Lair of Wolf side quest?
Added to the Bug Tracker and the Issue Tracker on GitLab.
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues/81

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Feb 2020, 06:40

Khorghakh wrote: ...
Minotaur Lords cannot have GM axe
According to cthscr they can - Minotaur Lord as a class can master axe, but the racial skill of the Minotaur RACE is +1 to Axe.
Master + 1 = Grand Master.

Is that behavior not working for you? Do you use different racial skills than base Merge (like modified mine)?

You aren't using the Minotaur and Minotaur Lord CLASSES with a RACE that isn't Minotaur? Even though that would be a hilarious explanation. :D :D (and easily doable with the Unlocker)

Khorghakh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Khorghakh » 18 Feb 2020, 09:31

Templayer wrote:
Khorghakh wrote: ...
Minotaur Lords cannot have GM axe
According to cthscr they can - Minotaur Lord as a class can master axe, but the racial skill of the Minotaur RACE is +1 to Axe.
Master + 1 = Grand Master.

Is that behavior not working for you? Do you use different racial skills than base Merge (like modified mine)?

You aren't using the Minotaur and Minotaur Lord CLASSES with a RACE that isn't Minotaur? Even though that would be a hilarious explanation. :D :D (and easily doable with the Unlocker)
Eh... *coughs* I didn't realise that racial skill text thingy even existed... *coughs* So I guess all is well!
Ironically it was only after I dl'd your edit and read the readme, and before I read this post, I found out about it and decided to see what it did and what you meant by "additive"... Ho hum.

Still not quite sure how it works... what does E/1/2 mean exactly?
E = Expert skill rank (which becomes +1 skill rank to any class with the skill already)?
And the numbers are + to skill level rather than skill rank?
Last edited by Khorghakh on 18 Feb 2020, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 18 Feb 2020, 10:23

Khorghakh wrote:Still not quite sure how it works... what does E/1/2 mean exactly?
E = Expert skill rank (which becomes +1 skill rank to any class with the skill already)?
And the numbers are + to skill level rather than skill rank?
First is Mastery for classes that have no access to skill.

Second is bonus Mastery for classes that have access to skill.

Third is Exception (meaning no changes for those classes). Number is Class Kind (look into Class Extra.txt). If Exception isn't a number (or negative number), then it is class' SPStat oriented: I (or -1) for Intellect-based, P (or -2) for Personality-based, S (or -4) for any spellcaster, W (or -5) for zero spellpoints.

Edit: and if it's not positive number, you have to see it as "exceptional inclusion".

PS. From Scripts/Structs/RacialSkills.lua

if ... Exc == -4 and SPStat == 0 or Exc == -5 and SPStat >  0
I'd say that current Meditation workaround should be applied to spellcasters only, rather than warriors only, which was intended behavior. But it is the opposite way in reality...

Upd: nevermind, there is common 'not' before all the second part of comparison.
Last edited by cthscr on 18 Feb 2020, 10:46, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”