Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 19 2020, 19:08

majaczek wrote:Is it easily possible to add new races? what about races with no paperdoll requirements (ones that can't using most of equipment like dragons) ? I think about adding a genie and eefreet to the game :)

Also there were problems with your code - if more than one character was created, the autobiographies code you wrote was crashing the game.

So I had to comment it out. cthscr recently fixed it. He had some questions about it that I wasn't able to answer. I am going to take a look on it now. Also he added that if class name and race name are the same (without whitespaces, so for example race DarkElf class Dark Elf), then it won't become duplicate (see the Vampire example in the picture)

https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues/1
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/merge_requests/18

cthscr wrote:False quoting to cause a notification to occur


Also there is still the little problem of the racial name being DarkElf. Maybe if the Race Name equals Class Name (without empty spaces), only the Class Name should be used (currently the Race name is used, if I am seeing things correctly). That however still doesn't solve the fact that a DarkElf Knight would become exactly that, without the whitespace.
Image
Image
Last edited by Templayer on Jan 19 2020, 19:24, edited 3 times in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 19 2020, 20:08

Also I found out a rather weird bug for Google Docs for our Tracker.
When I made the Doc, I set all styles to be Sans Serif for font.
On any other account (or lack of thereof), it changes to Arial, which offsets a lot of stuff.

Here's a link to a community post where I am asking for help with this: https://support.google.com/docs/thread/26129492?hl=en&dark=1
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Jezebeth Noir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 49
Joined: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Jezebeth Noir » Jan 20 2020, 18:26

Btw, is there any news about new races?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... wanalytics
Sorry for my english, I'm just learning. :embarrased:

gurun002
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 21 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby gurun002 » Jan 21 2020, 2:30

can someone upload it to a different site. Mega has limit now and the one drive is missing. thanks

cthscr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby cthscr » Jan 21 2020, 9:11

JFYI, registering on mega and installing their desktop utility will increase your download limits. (Different site would be better though.)

Jezebeth Noir wrote:
Templayer wrote:I don't know.
Can you fix it?


Something like "Lobotomy" - "Come here, sit and relax. You're going to forget completely about Dark Magic. And any Mastering in Elemental magic. This service is provided AS IS so no skillpoints refund. By the way, your insurance covers 50% only so you have to pay %d gold. Yes/no?" ?

To my mind, swap to [has to be created] class Wizard of the Light or smth like that would be better. Though creating new class might be not so easy.

majaczek wrote:Is it easily possible to add new races?


Start with const.Race in General/MiscTweaks.lua. Then, uh, `grep -ir '\WRace' Scripts/` and process output...

@Rodril - there are following unexpected characters:

1. Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt: \n at line 6, char 230

2. Data/Tables/SFT.txt: \n at line 23391, char 15

3. Data/Tables/Character selection.txt: '÷' at line 12, char 100 (Zombie - Peasant, expecting 'x')

Is any of these artifacts intentional?

justhoneypie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby justhoneypie » Jan 21 2020, 11:31

hi all, is it possible to make the resolution a bit higher?

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 18:16

Jezebeth Noir wrote:Btw, is there any news about new races?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... wanalytics

That list is just to see what people want the most. There are no guarantees that any of those races will be done one day.

GDSpectra / Spectral Dragon is currently working on a completely new (i.e. pretty much hand-drawn?) Troll Lich. And it looks amazing! Cannot share Work In Progress pictures yet, but I do have them. :devious:
If she starts on another race, it is upon her to decide.

I think she might do an Azure Dragon next, since both the Black and Golden dragons are finished.

@All
Feel free to vote - what Race would you like to see in the Merge? (you have to have a google account to vote. A nice easy and lazy basic anti-spam method :P )
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xKQ2v ... GMebd4QW1c

I just added the Dwarven Zombies and Golden Dragon to the Finished list at the end, end I have removed the Golden Dragon from the voting list.

The pictures might be of **** quality due to being on google and since the Stash downloads are down, I cannot get the pictures for in-game use.
ImageImage
Last edited by Templayer on Jan 21 2020, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 18:23

gurun002 wrote:can someone upload it to a different site. Mega has limit now and the one drive is missing. thanks

I have downloaded a 2GB file recently from Mega. Did you try using JDownloader? It has entire teams working on it around the clock...
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 18:28

cthscr wrote:
@Rodril - there are following unexpected characters:

1. Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt: \n at line 6, char 230

2. Data/Tables/SFT.txt: \n at line 23391, char 15

3. Data/Tables/Character selection.txt: '÷' at line 12, char 100 (Zombie - Peasant, expecting 'x')

Is any of these artifacts intentional?

You most probably won't get any answer from Rodril. He hasn't been in here for a LONG time.
Last time he went here, he excused his long absence by telling us he is working on an optional new AI for the game.
So no more monsters getting stuck on corners, not being able to jump fences, trickling through one by one, just b-lining it towards their enemies, etc.

"Probably" not, though. There were problems like that before...
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 18:28

justhoneypie wrote:hi all, is it possible to make the resolution a bit higher?

There is a configuration file in the installation directory.

You can even change UIs, etc. Be sure to use Hardware mode though (through the MM8 config exe file, whatever that was called, I'm too lazy to check).

And yes, you can change the resolution in the game by using the configuration file. I forgot what it was called. It is either an .ini or .cfg.
Last edited by Templayer on Jan 21 2020, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 18:53

A new Suggestion and an addition to an existing Suggestion was added to the Suggestion Tracker. Both by MCmamont.

New Suggestion:

Code: Select all

Change in Stealing and Perception
By: MCmamont (Forgive my bad English again.)
It's a pity that Stealing, which not many use because of it low efficiency, was removed from Merge.
Templayer: It wasn't removed, it just wasn't added. The Merge is based on the newest version of the engine, i.e. MM8. MM8 doesn't have stealing. :)
And therefore I would like to suggest an alternative development of this skill.
Instead of lowering the chance that you will be permanently kicked out of the store, it is better to limit the skill not by save-loads, but by the quality of items that can be stolen from a merchant.
For example, each skill invested in Stealing allows you to steal things of greater complexity (such as the complexity of repair or identification), respectively, with an expert, master and grand skill doubles, triples and is equal to 100%.
Either the skill allows you to steal things whose real value is 50 (beginner), 100 (expert) and 250 (master) gold for one invested skill, and 100% on the grand.
Also, in both cases, it would be quite logical at the expert level to allow steal items so they are not considered stolen, and they could be sold back to merchants.
Templayer: I think this would be a nice solution, but only partially - the shop you stole from should always know that they had it before and somebody stole it from them.
 
Alternatively, I can suggest that the Stealing skill allows for every successful melee attack on a monster to have a probability of 2% per skill level, to get a sum of gold equal to the level of a monster times 2 for a beginner, 4 for an expert, 6 for a master and 10 on the grand.
True, this decision promises to farm gold from monsters with the help of rusty daggers.
 Templayer: :D
I’m not sure what to do with the ability to steal from peaceful NPCs. It is possible to leave the same. Or give a 100% chance to steal quest items starting from beginner, and remove the ability steal anything else from NPCs at all.
 Templayer: Maybe like a variable "itemStealable". Malwick's wand? Stealable. :) I can't think of the non-stealable items examples, but I am sure there should be some.
As for Perception, I think that skill could be improved by adding to it the ability to increase the gold found by the party by 1% for each invested skill point (like the Factor or Banker followers). However, limit the skill to the fact that it does not summarize from each member of the party, but depends on who has the highest skill in the party. Or to make it so that this feature begins to work only from Mastery in skill.


Addition to the new skills Suggestions:

Code: Select all

1 - Alternative - Survival
Sorry for my bad English, I use google translate.
I really liked the idea about new skills that affect traveling on the map, but its seemed to me too limited, and not worthy of 55 skill points to level it to grandmaster.
Therefore, I would like to propos my version of the skill - "surviving".
For each skill point invested, it must reduce the chance of attacking a group while resting by 2 percent.
Expert: reduces the time travels between maps on foot by 2 days
Master: rest and traveling between locations no longer require provisions
Grand: reduces any traveling (on the ship and in the stables, too) for another 2 days (counts with expert skill)
Alternative Grand: You are never taken by surprise during a camp rest
Last edited by Templayer on Jan 21 2020, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 18:56

The Community Branch of the MMMerge currently has 67 commits.

SpectralDragon wrote: :canthear:


Unfortunately most of those are me just editing the README, because I forgot things constantly and I will find out the moment I commit it. :D :D :D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

justhoneypie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby justhoneypie » Jan 21 2020, 18:59

Templayer wrote:
justhoneypie wrote:hi all, is it possible to make the resolution a bit higher?

There is a configuration file in the installation directory.

You can even change UIs, etc. Be sure to use Hardware mode though (through the MM8 config exe file, whatever that was called, I'm too lazy to check).

And yes, you can change the resolution in the game by using the configuration file. I forgot what it was called. It is either an .ini or .cfg.



thanks for the response!

I didn't find any *.cfg files, the only INI file that has something related to configuration looks like this and I don't see anything that is remotely looking like resolution for hardware mode.

[Settings]
MouseLookBorder=-1
UILayout=UI
CapsLockToggleRun=0
QuickSavesCount=2
QuickSavesKey=122
QuickLoadKey=0
NoDeathMovie=0
NoIntro=0
InventoryKey=73
ToggleCharacterScreenKey=192
PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=1
DoubleSpeedKey=113
TurnSpeedNormal=100
TurnSpeedDouble=120
FixChests=1
NoD3DBitmapHwl=1
MouseLook=1
MouseSensitivityX=35
MouseSensitivityAltModeX=75
MouseLookChangeKey=4
MouseLookTempKey=0
CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1
MouseLookUseAltMode=0
MouseLookWhileRightClick=0
MouseWheelFly=1
AlwaysStrafe=0
PaletteSMul=1
PaletteVMul=1.1
StartupCopyrightDelay=2000
AutorunKey=114
TurnBasedSpeed=1
TurnBasedPartySpeed=1
WindowWidth=-1024
WindowHeight=768
StretchWidth=1
StretchWidthFull=1
StretchHeight=1
StretchHeightFull=1.067
BorderlessFullscreen=1
RenderMaxWidth=0
RenderMaxHeight=0
MipmapsCount=3
TurnBasedWalkDelay=0
PaperDollInChests=1
TreeHints=0
[MipmapsBase]
hwtrdr*=128
hdwtr???=64
hdlav???=64
hwoil???=128
gdtyl=256
DIRTtyl=256
Grastyl=256
Grastyl2=256
[UILayout=UI]
Scale=1
PartyScale=1.065
StatusbarScale=0
StatusbarPlace=2
NoCompass=1
MouseShiftY_5=27.5
MouseShiftY_1=20.5
FOVMul=1
FlyEtcOnTop=1
HideStatusbar=1
ShrinkStatusbar=1

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 22:00

justhoneypie wrote:
Templayer wrote:
justhoneypie wrote:hi all, is it possible to make the resolution a bit higher?

There is a configuration file in the installation directory.

You can even change UIs, etc. Be sure to use Hardware mode though (through the MM8 config exe file, whatever that was called, I'm too lazy to check).

And yes, you can change the resolution in the game by using the configuration file. I forgot what it was called. It is either an .ini or .cfg.



thanks for the response!

I didn't find any *.cfg files, the only INI file that has something related to configuration looks like this and I don't see anything that is remotely looking like resolution for hardware mode.

[Settings]
MouseLookBorder=-1
UILayout=UI
CapsLockToggleRun=0
QuickSavesCount=2
QuickSavesKey=122
QuickLoadKey=0
NoDeathMovie=0
NoIntro=0
InventoryKey=73
ToggleCharacterScreenKey=192
PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=1
DoubleSpeedKey=113
TurnSpeedNormal=100
TurnSpeedDouble=120
FixChests=1
NoD3DBitmapHwl=1
MouseLook=1
MouseSensitivityX=35
MouseSensitivityAltModeX=75
MouseLookChangeKey=4
MouseLookTempKey=0
CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1
MouseLookUseAltMode=0
MouseLookWhileRightClick=0
MouseWheelFly=1
AlwaysStrafe=0
PaletteSMul=1
PaletteVMul=1.1
StartupCopyrightDelay=2000
AutorunKey=114
TurnBasedSpeed=1
TurnBasedPartySpeed=1
WindowWidth=-1024
WindowHeight=768
StretchWidth=1
StretchWidthFull=1
StretchHeight=1
StretchHeightFull=1.067
BorderlessFullscreen=1
RenderMaxWidth=0
RenderMaxHeight=0
MipmapsCount=3
TurnBasedWalkDelay=0
PaperDollInChests=1
TreeHints=0
[MipmapsBase]
hwtrdr*=128
hdwtr???=64
hdlav???=64
hwoil???=128
gdtyl=256
DIRTtyl=256
Grastyl=256
Grastyl2=256
[UILayout=UI]
Scale=1
PartyScale=1.065
StatusbarScale=0
StatusbarPlace=2
NoCompass=1
MouseShiftY_5=27.5
MouseShiftY_1=20.5
FOVMul=1
FlyEtcOnTop=1
HideStatusbar=1
ShrinkStatusbar=1

Yes, I said cfg OR ini. It's an ini then.

To enable Hardware mode, open the .exe file for MM8 settings (come on, there aren't that many .exe files in the installation folder, you do not have to have everything served on a silver platter... figure the one with settings out by how it is named) and select Hardware mode, save and run.

Afterwards, try out setting different values here:
WindowWidth=-1024
WindowHeight=768
StretchWidth=1
StretchWidthFull=1
StretchHeight=1
StretchHeightFull=1.067
BorderlessFullscreen=1
RenderMaxWidth=0
RenderMaxHeight=0

Currently you are running a Borderless Fullscreen, if you are running in fullscreen.

There are also a lot of settings that aren't inside, but which can be added and will work, those are "hidden" settings.

All of this was provided by GrayFace. Check his website for tutorials, descriptions, etc. (it's on http://www.google.com ).

One more post and I'm off to sleep, finally.
Last edited by Templayer on Jan 21 2020, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2020, 22:09

@All

GDSpectra / Spectral Dragon's links are broken.

She has been notified and is fixing it.

(she is the one making new paperdolls and animated portraits, like Minotaur Liches, Troll Zombies, Dracoliches, the Black Dragons,... check the Tracker in my signature, and check the Paint Tracker in the Index for characters if you do not know about this ... and also the Content Implementation Queue for stuff that is finished, but isn't in-game yet)
Last edited by Templayer on Jan 21 2020, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

cthscr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Jan 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby cthscr » Jan 23 2020, 15:44

Templayer wrote:
majaczek wrote:Is it easily possible to add new races? what about races with no paperdoll requirements (ones that can't using most of equipment like dragons) ? I think about adding a genie and eefreet to the game :)

Also there were problems with your code - if more than one character was created, the autobiographies code you wrote was crashing the game.


That crash was easier to fix than to understand for me initially - replacing Party[RosterId] with previously initialize Char (as Party.PlayersArray[RosterId]) was quite intuitive. So, few words about Party[] and PlayersArray[].

If we create one character only - he is both Party[0] (which is Party.Players[0] actually) and Party.PlayersArray[0]. But if we add character to party, newly added player will become the only Party member (Party[0]) and PlayersArray[0]. First character will be saved into PlayersArray behind all possibly played characters (plus one extra) - yes, looks like PlayersArray contains all possibly playable characters.

Here I just added fifth member Stacey:

Code: Select all

> for _, pl in Party do
  print(pl.Name)
end
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------
Stacey

> for i, c in Party.PlayersArray do
  print(i..": "..c.Name)
end
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------
0: Stacey
1: Devlin Arcanus
2: Fredrick Talimere
3: Simon Templar
4: Overdune Snapfinger
5: Arius
6: Rohani Oscleton
7: Elsbeth Lamentia
8: Ithilgore
9: Karanya Memoria
10: Maylander
11: Leane Stormlance
12: Volog Sandwind
13: Thanys
14: Jasp Thelbourne
15: Gethric Mercutura
16: Flamdring
17: Hevatia Deverbero
18: Verish
19: Nelix Uriel
20: Sethrc Thistlebone
21: Rionel
22: Adric Stellare
23: Infaustus
24: Brimstone
25: Vetrinus Taleshire
26: Dervish Chevron
27: Tempus
28: Thorne Understone
29: Ulbrecht
30: Cauri Blackthorne
31: Artorius Veritas
32: Duroth the Eternal
33: Nathaniel Roberts
34: Dyson Leyland
35: Blazen Stormlance
36: troll
37: Eileen
38: Clifford
39: Karen
40: Zaccharia
41: necromancer
42: cleric
43: knight
44: troll
45: minotaur
46: darkelf
47: vampire
48: dragon
49: dragon


Here I switched back to first character:

Code: Select all

> for _, pl in Party do
  print(pl.Name)
end
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------
Eileen

> for i, c in Party.PlayersArray do
  print(i..": "..c.Name)
end
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------
0: Eileen
1: Devlin Arcanus
2: Fredrick Talimere
3: Simon Templar
4: Overdune Snapfinger
5: Arius
6: Rohani Oscleton
7: Elsbeth Lamentia
8: Ithilgore
9: Karanya Memoria
10: Maylander
11: Leane Stormlance
12: Volog Sandwind
13: Thanys
14: Jasp Thelbourne
15: Gethric Mercutura
16: Flamdring
17: Hevatia Deverbero
18: Verish
19: Nelix Uriel
20: Sethrc Thistlebone
21: Rionel
22: Adric Stellare
23: Infaustus
24: Brimstone
25: Vetrinus Taleshire
26: Dervish Chevron
27: Tempus
28: Thorne Understone
29: Ulbrecht
30: Cauri Blackthorne
31: Artorius Veritas
32: Duroth the Eternal
33: Nathaniel Roberts
34: Dyson Leyland
35: Blazen Stormlance
36: troll
37: Eileen
38: Clifford
39: Karen
40: Zaccharia
41: Stacey
42: cleric
43: knight
44: troll
45: minotaur
46: darkelf
47: vampire
48: dragon
49: dragon


Rest is easy - Party[38] will be typical Out Of Bounds error.

Grayface's docs somehow lack info about Players and PlayersArray, so I've decided to share this.

As for the patch - quick fix was rewritten into more proper way again and again and now it has introduced Scripts/General/Races.lua and Data/Tables/Races.txt.

https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/issues/1 - issue
https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/merge_requests/21 - merge request

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 23 2020, 20:50

cthscr wrote:Grayface's docs somehow lack info about Players and PlayersArray, so I've decided to share this.

Could you add that to the Snippets? Later on, we will add that to the docs.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

tomchen1989
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 72
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Location: Europe / China

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby tomchen1989 » Jan 26 2020, 10:25

The community branch changed the bolster formula from something like:
OriginalValue^BolsterMul
To
OriginalValue*((BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul)

which seems incorrect: if BolsterMul is 1, the value will stay unchanged if you use the original formula, but will be doubled using the new formula.

Presumably, BolsterMul = 1 + x / 100, where x is the percentage point in MMMerge's bolster settings.
(BolsterMul is not x / 100 unless the calculation of BolsterMul is also changed in the community branch, or the original formula is wrong)
I guess it is meant to be OriginalValue*(BolsterMul^(BolsterMul-1))


Edit: OK It seems BolsterMul is x / 100 where x is the percentage point in MMMerge's bolster settings.

But the new formula still looks no better than a simple "OriginalValue*BolsterMul", because it is meant to weaken the value, but it strengthen the value when 0 <= BolsterMul < 1.26. So it might be good if we use something like this slightly changed one:
OriginalValue*((BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul-1)

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/fg5mursxos
Last edited by tomchen1989 on Jan 26 2020, 14:05, edited 3 times in total.

tomchen1989
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 72
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Location: Europe / China

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby tomchen1989 » Jan 26 2020, 10:50

Btw, my Chinese localization, double-byte character support, as well as some scripts and tools to generate font files and Gettext localization files to easily manage mm6, 7, 8, Merge's localization of any language, are almost done. I'll soon commit/upload them to a repo under newly registered https://github.com/might-and-magic

Some suggestions for the the main version or official version of MMMerge:
1. It should change the bolster formula to an easier one, or switch it off by default, or do both. Using the current default makes the game really hard and pretty unplayable for many players. *
2. In "\Data\Tables\Continent settings.txt", for the Colume "Skies (from clear to storm, divided by ",")", in Row "2 Antagarich", change "7plansky3, 7sky01, " to "6sky08, 6sky06, ", in Row "3 Enroth" change "plansky3, plansky1, " to "6sky08, 6sky06, ". Original MM6 and 7 have and use these "real blue" sky texture, but MMerge doesn't currently.

I'm putting these changes in my Chinese localization package making them effective by default for Chinese localization users.

Edit: * I mean the formula strongly takes into account the difference between party level and monster level, which I don't like too much. Increasing the characters' level will increase the monster's HP and other stats and will not make the game easier. Reasonablely, monster's HP should be independent from characters' level, you can increase the monster's HP and other stats at the beginning of the game, but they should usually remain unchanged throughout the game I guess.
Last edited by tomchen1989 on Jan 26 2020, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Rakshasa
Rakshasa
Posts: 1174
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Postby Templayer » Jan 27 2020, 11:07

tomchen1989 wrote:The community branch changed the bolster formula from something like:
OriginalValue^BolsterMul
To
OriginalValue*((BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul)

which seems incorrect: if BolsterMul is 1, the value will stay unchanged if you use the original formula, but will be doubled using the new formula.

Presumably, BolsterMul = 1 + x / 100, where x is the percentage point in MMMerge's bolster settings.
(BolsterMul is not x / 100 unless the calculation of BolsterMul is also changed in the community branch, or the original formula is wrong)
I guess it is meant to be OriginalValue*(BolsterMul^(BolsterMul-1))


Edit: OK It seems BolsterMul is x / 100 where x is the percentage point in MMMerge's bolster settings.

But the new formula still looks no better than a simple "OriginalValue*BolsterMul", because it is meant to weaken the value, but it strengthen the value when 0 <= BolsterMul < 1.26. So it might be good if we use something like this slightly changed one:
OriginalValue*((BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul-1)

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/fg5mursxos

Added as an Bug Issue on GitLab.
tomchen1989 wrote:In "\Data\Tables\Continent settings.txt", for the Colume "Skies (from clear to storm, divided by ",")", in Row "2 Antagarich", change "7plansky3, 7sky01, " to "6sky08, 6sky06, ", in Row "3 Enroth" change "plansky3, plansky1, " to "6sky08, 6sky06, ". Original MM6 and 7 have and use these "real blue" sky texture, but MMerge doesn't currently.

Added as an Parity Issue on GitLab.
tomchen1989 wrote:Btw, my Chinese localization, double-byte character support, as well as some scripts and tools to generate font files and Gettext localization files to easily manage mm6, 7, 8, Merge's localization of any language, are almost done. I'll soon commit/upload them to a repo under newly registered https://github.com/might-and-magic

Added as a WIP Implementation "Issue" (Task really) on GitLab.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests