Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 15 Dec 2019, 21:20

Jaojin wrote:First off, I've said it before but I love this mod. Keep up the good work, you're doing a fantastic job. :applause: :hug:

Bugs for the tracker
-Serendine's Preserverence does not appear to regenerate spell points. Could be that it doesn't stack with other "mana regeneration". All other spell point regeneration items stack.
-Elf Female paper doll model for Galahad/Apollo seems a bit... flat chested (appears as if is using the male paper doll for that model)
-A character with a very low ranged attack speed (30-40) using a bow or crossbow with master+ bow skill in tactical (turn-based) mode will force the character following him/her to skip their turn, as if they just missed. It doesn't appear that they actually get their attack, but their portrait displays the miss animation. It also appears as if they reset as fast as the archer does, meaning they will permanently skip their turn. I could replicate this regardless of how I triggered the attack (mouse click, unlocked mouse click, default attack hotkey, default spell hotkey).
-Aegis needs a comma between shielding and +20 luck in it's description. Also the "immune to flesh to stone effects" can be simplified to petrification or stoning. I realize this might be an original game thing and not part of your mod.
-If you tell Queen Catherine that you are the one who stole the plans from Fort Riverstride she will only execute 4 of your party members, leaving the 5th alive. I presume that this is also true for Eldrich Parson and any other similar triggers in MM7 (and probably MM6 as well if there are any).
-Followers take twice the listed % of gold (is that intended?) of course, even with 100% they will still leave you with 1 gold per pile. :S
-Dropped high level belts (artificer model, but guilded/silver level) and dead swamp trees (popular in darkmoor), have a scrambled texture. As no one else appears to have reported this, it could be from the install somehow. I have a picture if you would like me to send it to you.

Appears to have been mentioned. Maybe some more information:
-It is possible to sometimes get the same artifact multiple times as loot. I have gotten Mordred (not surprising there is 1 guaranteed version of it and 8 possible duplicates in lore), Staff of the Swamp, Lightning Crossbow, Zeus, Heracles. However, if they are stored in a chest and you unload the location the item will disappear.
-The ghost ring gives a stacking +5 skill in air, water, fire, earth, and spirit magic in addition to giving stacking "of spirit magic" and perseverance. (Don't get me wrong, I am totally down for some overpowered druids, but the +5's don't feel like they should be there.)
-Percival's carnage ability acts strangely on flying targets. The arrow appears to hit, but the fireball drops to the ground before exploding. It also gives a sort of "ricochet" effect. Like the arrow was deflected. It does damage the ground (or appears to anyway).

Again, thanks for your hard work in making this mod so absolutely excellent!
Added to the Bug Tracker.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 17 Dec 2019, 14:40

If I try to raise a zombie character as a zombie, I see this error:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Dec 2019, 20:11

Jezebeth Noir wrote:If I try to raise a zombie character as a zombie, I see this error:

Hmmm, Rodril did made some changes to the zombification algorithms a few releases back. Undead characters like Zombies and Liches shouldn't turn to zombies.
Also you are clearly outsmarting the game by raising a zombie as a zombie. :D
I think the error is caused by the game not finding your previous "face" (i.e. look) before getting zombified, since... you guessed it, if you never were anything but a zombie, then it has nothing to work with, literally in that instance.
Before I put it on the Tracker, I need one more answer (also if you would copy paste the text from the error console to the forum, that would be swell as well): Did you use majaczek's modifications? (they are not yet on the Tracker)

fanasilver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fanasilver » 18 Dec 2019, 03:59

..follow-up report to @Templayer:
My walkthrough has finished Antagrich and is now heading to Jadame. Only trivial bugs so far:

1. Current version's (10.08.2019) bolster HP amount seems to be a little unbounded. I am now setting Bolster to 150%, my character avg level is 28, and a Goblin King's HP is 1217! A peasant HP is as high as 900+. Though their damage seems to be OK. I wish to know this is by design or..?

2. Some of the quest items are sellable, i.e. Lich's soul jar (Wall of mist), cloak of Baa. And if you set a beacon in the wall of mist exit, you can get as many jars as you can and drinks the barrel infinitely. But I guess this is from original MM7 designs.

3. When completing Sir Stanley's mission (raid for blanket in Celeste), if you do not start conversation with him in Tatalia, then the assult on Harmodale never happens. And if you finish his job, you still get two unfinished quests in your journal. The only way to finish this quest properly is:
1) Accept the quest after path is chosen
2) Do nothing, until:
3) Wait for 2-3 weeks and wait for the assult on Harmodale
4) Clear out all the intruders and shop re-opens

4. When in Shoals, there is no way to click the spell book or press "C". But quick spell still works! Guess I casted several armageddon underwater.. But I will treat this as a positive outcome XD

5. And I can see that the dragon familiar is obtainable by the light path Great Druid. I fed him about 100 food and is there any future follow-ups?
Last edited by fanasilver on 18 Dec 2019, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 18 Dec 2019, 07:59

...ames\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Gener\ZombiePlayers.lua:128: attempt to index a
nil value

stack traceback:
... ames\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ZombiePlayers.lua: in function
'SetFace'
...ames\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ZombiePlayers.lua:303: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'SetFace':
('temporary) = 0

local variables of 'SetFace':
(*temporary) = (table: Qxl5Q03c43)
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = (table: 0xldS17f70)
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0defa7e0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"

upvalues of 'SetFace':
ZombieFace = (table: Oxl3dedaeO)
I use only Character Creation Unlocker and Racial Skills mods.

Could you also put on the Tracker my suggestion about bottles?

Burden
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Burden » 18 Dec 2019, 12:53

I may have encountered a bug or I am just too dumb...

How do i dismiss the 'hirelings'? Those people that you can hire on the streets that provides bonus e.g John the Weapon Master, takes 10% of the gold you find etc.

It does nothing when I click on their profile

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Dec 2019, 17:09

fanasilver wrote:..follow-up report to @Templayer:
My walkthrough has finished Antagrich and is now heading to Jadame. Only trivial bugs so far:

1. Current version's (10.08.2019) bolster HP amount seems to be a little unbounded. I am now setting Bolster to 150%, my character avg level is 28, and a Goblin King's HP is 1217! A peasant HP is as high as 900+. Though their damage seems to be OK. I wish to know this is by design or..?

2. Some of the quest items are sellable, i.e. Lich's soul jar (Wall of mist), cloak of Baa. And if you set a beacon in the wall of mist exit, you can get as many jars as you can and drinks the barrel infinitely. But I guess this is from original MM7 designs.

3. When completing Sir Stanley's mission (raid for blanket in Celeste), if you do not start conversation with him in Tatalia, then the assult on Harmodale never happens. And if you finish his job, you still get two unfinished quests in your journal. The only way to finish this quest properly is:
1) Accept the quest after path is chosen
2) Do nothing, until:
3) Wait for 2-3 weeks and wait for the assult on Harmodale
4) Clear out all the intruders and shop re-opens

4. When in Shoals, there is no way to click the spell book or press "C". But quick spell still works! Guess I casted several armageddon underwater.. But I will treat this as a positive outcome XD

5. And I can see that the dragon familiar is obtainable by the light path Great Druid. I fed him about 100 food and is there any future follow-ups?
I'll add those to the Bug Tracker.
There are settings for Bolster inside Bolster - monster.txt, which state that a Goblin King "Max HP Boost (%)" is 300.
Maybe the limit is set as base HP × "Max HP Boost (%)" (which should be divided by 100 first...), so the actual limit is 30000%. :D :D (I didn't look through the lua files...)
You can try setting it to a much lower number and check the results.

EDIT: Also if you have an empty party slot, you should be able to let the dragon "grow" into it from the NPC slot.
GDSpectra finished the Black and Golden Dragons, so eventually you should be able to get eggs for those. Or something.
Last edited by Templayer on 18 Dec 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Dec 2019, 18:48

Jezebeth Noir wrote:
...ames\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Gener\ZombiePlayers.lua:128: attempt to index a
nil value

stack traceback:
... ames\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ZombiePlayers.lua: in function
'SetFace'
...ames\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ZombiePlayers.lua:303: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'SetFace':
('temporary) = 0

local variables of 'SetFace':
(*temporary) = (table: Qxl5Q03c43)
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = (table: 0xldS17f70)
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0defa7e0)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "attempt to index a nil value"

upvalues of 'SetFace':
ZombieFace = (table: Oxl3dedaeO)
I use only Character Creation Unlocker and Racial Skills mods.

Could you also put on the Tracker my suggestion about bottles?
Oh, sorry, I forgot about it - Disabling Glass Diet added to the Suggestion Tracker. :D :D

Also I added the bug with raising a zombie as a zombie with the traceback log to the Bug Tracker.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Dec 2019, 18:51

Burden wrote:I may have encountered a bug or I am just too dumb...

How do i dismiss the 'hirelings'? Those people that you can hire on the streets that provides bonus e.g John the Weapon Master, takes 10% of the gold you find etc.

It does nothing when I click on their profile
It was done by something like right clicking, or holding shift and clicking, or ctrl, or something like that. If I remember correctly.

fanasilver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fanasilver » 19 Dec 2019, 13:51

Templayer wrote: I'll add those to the Bug Tracker.
There are settings for Bolster inside Bolster - monster.txt, which state that a Goblin King "Max HP Boost (%)" is 300.
Maybe the limit is set as base HP × "Max HP Boost (%)" (which should be divided by 100 first...), so the actual limit is 30000%. :D :D (I didn't look through the lua files...)

EDIT: Also if you have an empty party slot, you should be able to let the dragon "grow" into it from the NPC slot.
GDSpectra finished the Black and Golden Dragons, so eventually you should be able to get eggs for those. Or something.
Thanks buddy, my little black dragon growls good XD

I have checked the lua file (AdaptiveMonsterStat.lua). Strange, according to the script, the Max Hp Boost is *never used* in any calculation, although it is indeed divided by 100. There is no check code to bound the max HP. The boost variable is only used in the Full HP.

Another friend of mine suggested we scale the HP parameter by using * (times) instead of ^ (power). So far it works well.. but it seems to be too easy. Hopefully other developers can add the missing HP max boost check..

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 19 Dec 2019, 18:20

fanasilver wrote:
Templayer wrote: I'll add those to the Bug Tracker.

Thanks buddy, my little black dragon growls good XD

I have checked the lua file (AdaptiveMonsterStat.lua). Strange, according to the script, the Max Hp Boost is *never used* in any calculation, although it is indeed divided by 100. There is no check code to bound the max HP. The boost variable is only used in the Full HP.

Another friend of mine suggested we scale the HP parameter by using * (times) instead of ^ (power). So far it works well.. but it seems to be too easy. Hopefully other developers can add the missing HP max boost check..
Nice. Added to the report.
raekuul wrote:To the Rescue!
Maybe we found the reason for the huge HP numbers? :D

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 19 Dec 2019, 23:00

Oooh, and that would be an easy fix too (as much as I like the idea of higher difficulty ratings being "play at your own risk", the difficulty is not dynamic - once you load a map, the monsters are set at whatever difficulty you loaded the map at)

fanasilver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fanasilver » 20 Dec 2019, 03:36

Maybe we found the reason for the huge HP numbers? :D[/quote]

Yes, that's true. Power function is.. devious :devious: . Consider the fact that if 200% difficulty is used, then the monster HP will be squared in most cases, and a queen dragonfly (original HP 50) can be as much as 2500+. This is exactly what happened there..

I modified the formula to be a flat 5 * BOLSTER, which turns out to be fierce enough. Now a Queen of the Dead is 1000+ HP even when you are only level 10.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Dec 2019, 06:37

fanasilver wrote:
Templayer wrote:
Yes, that's true. Power function is.. devious :devious: . Consider the fact that if 200% difficulty is used, then the monster HP will be squared in most cases, and a queen dragonfly (original HP 50) can be as much as 2500+. This is exactly what happened there..

I modified the formula to be a flat 5 * BOLSTER, which turns out to be fierce enough. Now a Queen of the Dead is 1000+ HP even when you are only level 10.
Make the changes and send me the file.

It will be added to the Community fork of the Merge on Git .... once we have a "optional settings.txt" table where people could set optional content to true, like this for example.

I do not know how long that will be, though.

Jaojin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jaojin » 20 Dec 2019, 20:18

fanasilver wrote:
templayer wrote:

200% bolster is certainly op. Even weak monsters require herculean efforts to kill. However, 150% is actually not bad. I have played through 80% of 7 and 6 so far (skipping back and forth between the two) with 150% bolster using all of my skills to make my characters as optimized/op as possible and it is not only doable but nicely challenging. Tier 1 and 2 versions of monsters die pretty easily, the tier 3 versions are always damage sponges. If a place is too difficult (which they usually are when they are spawned), I level up a bit and come back and it's much smoother (because their HP is set until the area respawns). That can make some areas very easy; for instance, I rushed the Titan's Fortress to get all my 2nd promotions early, then came back rl days later to find they were all pushovers (I had outleveled them). 1-2k hp red dragons when I have been fighting 1.5k Magyars and 5k Magyar Matrons. You have given enough tools (stacking buffs, larger pool of artifacts, more characters, more npcs, etc) to actually make it playable. The numbers are more scary visually then they are in practice (5k Matron?! That's too much! Dies in about 5 rounds. Eh, ok.)

TL;DR 200% is certainly overturned. It's doable but way too tedious. 150% however is a good challenge for an experienced player.

PS. I hate splitting Elementals. Not only is it annoying to have to kill the highest tier 7 times, but when they split they frequently get stuck in walls and glitching through terrain where they are sometimes killable, sometimes not, and always annoying. Not to mention with high resistances they do practically no damage. I have resorted to meleeing them down with a team of mages just to conserve SP, or ignoring them entirely. Unlike Giant Rats which... at 15d16+99 damage can one shot a level 50 lich.
Last edited by Jaojin on 20 Dec 2019, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 20 Dec 2019, 21:57

Jaojin wrote:You have given enough tools (stacking buffs, larger pool of artifacts, more characters, more npcs, etc) to actually make it playable.
Actually I am not the maker of this mod. Rodril made this mod and is working on a new AI for M&M games currently.
GrayFace himself also "did stuff" for it.
See the Credits Section on the tracker.
My job is just being a lowly Community Manager and Tracker Maintainer for the Merge.
I would love to help with the bugs etc., but I am a full-time programmer (8-12 hours a day), and the last thing I want to do after coming home from work (where we have to make hourly reports on what we did in the past hour... been doing that 2 years now. Pays a big salary though!) is to open the lua files and basically continue working. (I am however willing to implement and merge changes by the people for the Community Branch of the project on GitLab)
But I digress.
Jaojin wrote: PS. I hate splitting Elementals. Not only is it annoying to have to kill the highest tier 7 times, but when they split they frequently get stuck in walls and glitching through terrain where they are sometimes killable, sometimes not, and always annoying. Not to mention with high resistances they do practically no damage. I have resorted to meleeing them down with a team of mages just to conserve SP, or ignoring them entirely. Unlike Giant Rats which... at 15d16+99 damage can one shot a level 50 lich.
Added to the Bug Tracker. Glitching through terrain and getting stuck in walls is something that I would consider unwanted and buggy.

Jaojin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jaojin » 20 Dec 2019, 22:11

Templayer wrote:
Jaojin wrote:You have given enough tools (stacking buffs, larger pool of artifacts, more characters, more npcs, etc) to actually make it playable.
Actually I am not the maker of this mod. Rodril made this mod and is working on a new AI for M&M games currently.
My job is just being a lowly Community Manager and Tracker Maintainer for the Merge.
I would love to help with the bugs etc., but I am a full-time programmer (8-12 hours a day), and the last thing I want to do after coming home from work (where we have to make hourly reports on what we did in the past hour... been doing that 2 years now. Pays a big salary though!) is to open the lua files and basically continue working. (I am however willing to implement and merge changes by the people for the Community Branch of the project on GitLab)
But I digress.
Well, credit were it is due then. Though each part of the team deserves some credit, even "lowly" managers :tongue:

fanasilver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fanasilver » 21 Dec 2019, 03:29

I have opened up an MR at https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/merge_requests/1 . After several trial and error I believe this formula works best:

(BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul)

Bolster% HP Times
0 1
1 2
1.5 4
2 9
Last edited by fanasilver on 21 Dec 2019, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Dec 2019, 15:07

fanasilver wrote:I have opened up an MR at https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/merge_requests/1 . After several trial and error I believe this formula works best:

(BolsterMul+1)^BolsterMul)

Bolster% HP Times
0 1
1 2
1.5 4
2 9
Nice. Thank you very much, I didn't actually you to make a Merge Request (however I am pleasantly surprised!!)

There is one problem though, but it is my problem, not yours. I asked majaczek (who made two other such modifications) to make it possible for the game to have a txt "settings" table with optional modifications (so probably a name for an optional modification, value (usually true or false) and description) and he didn't respond.
I was kinda waiting for that, because for the Community Fork, it would be nice to have such "settings".

Hmm.

What I am going to do - I will apply your Merge Request, and since that Merge Request will be in the history together with the changes made, I can refer to it from a new TODOs section in the README to make a "map" of such stuff that should be toggleable.

So a probable solution for your case once such table exists:
The code reads the HP formula from the text table you have edited. If BolsterMonster_LessAggressiveHitPointsFormula is true in the settings table for optional modifications, use yours, if not, read the vanilla one from the "Data/Tables/Bolster - formulas.txt" (which will have to be reverted).

Sounds good?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Templayer

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Dec 2019, 15:20

Jaojin wrote:
Templayer wrote:
But I digress.
Well, credit were it is due then. Though each part of the team deserves some credit, even "lowly" managers :tongue:
I also made some optional stuff and also some unimplemented stuff, like a custom icon for the Merge, various Lich and Zombie voices, (Dracolich, Minotaur Lich, Troll Lich, Ghost Dragon...), wrote over a hundred pages on the Tracker / managed stuff there, wrote over a 1000 posts on this forum (most of which were how to get around a problem / glitch :D ), translated the Merge content to Czech, etc.
Little things like that. Nothing big yet, except maybe for the voicesets.
And of course my current little project: http://www.templayer.cz/storage/Dragon_ ... 0mixed.wav
And I was told my entire life that my voice is so horrible it could never be used for Voice Overs. :D :D :D

Return to “Might and Magic”