Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Oct 2019, 23:08

SpectralDragon wrote:You're talking to someone that is doing Dark side promotion quest/s for Druids (Warlock), thus the necessary bad rep in my book, Xfing. But in the end, that's just my opinion and I'll leave it all to GrayFace and Rodril.
Yeah, the only problem is that Tor doesn't seem all that evil, and he even says he considers himself and the Warlocks somewhat neutral. I don't think someone who says outright that he sympathizes with your choice of following the light path would be impressed by you being super evil to the point of having it as a requisite for helping you :-D
Now I'm more worried about the Gold Dragon one. Thoughts? Any suggestions on how to make him better without using the INCREDIBLY ANNOYING "spike nesting" thing that I already used for the Black Dragon?
Since if not then I'll just add double nose spikes and be done with it because I don't wish to make him too tacky after all. Easier on the eyes for ones that play and for me to get this over with without using months to be done on it. ^^;
Warp his body a bit using mesh warp, or whatever technique is used for repainting the armors. Make his body structure a bit different from the green dragon. Buffer here, beefier there etc. That'll help disguise the fact that he's made on the basis of the green dragon.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 06 Oct 2019, 03:50

SpectralDragon wrote:IMAGE OF GOLD DRAGON
Thoughts?
Looks really good, although maybe a bit on the green side? I would tweak it slightly towards the red. I also wonder what extra highlights (whitish or pale yellow) would do on select places for a more metallic effect? ...Although that could look cheesy too. Anyway, nice work! I want to see this in the game :)
Xfing wrote:As for reputation in MM6, the system was pretty cool and extensive, but it had its problems too, such as the reputation inevitably dropping over time and being able to raise it back only by doing quests. Meaning, you could never keep your Saintly reputation forever, no matter what you did. I think I actually prefer the MM7 reputation system: you still have to perform quests to raise it, but at the very least it keeps track separately for each area and doesn't decrease over time. MM8 was clearly supposed to keep MM7's system, but apparently it didn't work (the quests didn't really raise your rep).
I absolutely prefer MM7's reputation system too; I'm glad it's in the merge. It makes sense for people in different areas to have varying opinions of the party, and because reputation doesn't drop over time, it doesn't give you the unwelcome feeling of urgency to finish things quickly. You can travel the world and train dozens of levels while still enjoying high reputation.
Last edited by Phobos on 06 Oct 2019, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 06 Oct 2019, 07:12

Echo wrote:Spike-free dragon design inspiration: https://miro.medium.com/max/1313/1*lvMZ ... EMgbA.jpeg

You are most welcome!
Thanks, but I'm actually looking (or I've already found, to be more accurate) for Gold Dragon images that originate from the same world that both late MM games (6, 7, 8) and early Heroes games (2, 3) take place in, not from a completely different world because consistentcy needs to be kept. This one would sadly cause an unwanted jarring effect compared to other dragons, so yeah. Still, appreciate it. :)
Xfing wrote:Warp his body a bit using mesh warp, or whatever technique is used for repainting the armors. Make his body structure a bit different from the green dragon. Buffer here, beefier there etc. That'll help disguise the fact that he's made on the basis of the green dragon.
NO. I've already used Warp Transform on many others and I really REALLY don't feel like this one needs it too (not to even mention that is an even more tedious task than even doing "nestled spikes" thing), not to even mention that there aren't any certain spots I can see that would be safe to be Warp Transformed without messing up the entire paperdoll. I'm very sorry for saying this, but I'm afraid this one will just have to show where it originates from. :( Besides, his expressions will show that too if not his paperdoll and I cannot change those like that at all because they're even more fragile to changes like this (and let's not forget that any changes to the head need to be reflected to his face expressions, thus I don't wish to use Warp Transform onto it. I REALLY cannot both bother and afford to use it on all 56 expressions without risking to make some of them worse quality than the rest), thus only additions to it and color changes will be done unless GrayFace does something about this.
Phobos wrote:Looks really good, although maybe a bit on the green side? I would tweak it slightly towards the red. I also wonder what extra highlights (whitish or pale yellow) would do on select places for a more metallic effect? ...Although that could look cheesy too. Anyway, nice work! I want to see this in the game :)
I actually tested the entire metallic effect and it hurt my eyes, thus I settled for more darker colors. ^^; But the gold hue being more towards the red, that's what I was thinking as well. Same with making the head spikes curve downwards and all (thank the Ancients that's just a prototype after all).
Yes?

MM7isbest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby MM7isbest » 06 Oct 2019, 07:26

The armor compatible one is better, because the hips are higher. This looks mythical, a creature with inhuman legs. Mythical is desirable in MM7 instead of ultra-realism.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 06 Oct 2019, 07:28

MM7isbest wrote:The armor compatible one is better, because the hips are higher. This looks mythical, a creature with inhuman legs. Mythical is desirable in MM7 instead of ultra-realism.
Are you talking about the Minotaur Lich there? He's already in the game according to Rodril and yes, people chose the armor-compatible version much more. ^^;

Nowadays we're discussing Gold Dragon.
For now in the next round I'll change his body color, add nose spikes and tweak both his wings and tail some more.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 06 Oct 2019, 07:31, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 06 Oct 2019, 08:29

Butcer wrote: Thanks got it :tsup: Op party here i come
Damn, I'm always impressed by how people can enjoy playing that way. I personally would feel like cheating :D

That's why I like feeling designer restrictions. Then when I beat the game, I at least know it was beaten with the tools that the devs intended me to have. That's kinda why I would prefer an officially sanctioned version of the racial skills, just so I don't feel like I'm arbitrarily giving myself an advantage.[/quote]

Ive finished the might and magic games legit many times

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 06 Oct 2019, 09:21

SpectralDragon wrote:
Echo wrote:Spike-free dragon design inspiration: https://miro.medium.com/max/1313/1*lvMZ ... EMgbA.jpeg

You are most welcome!
Thanks, but I'm actually looking (or I've already found, to be more accurate) for Gold Dragon images that originate from the same world that both late MM games (6, 7, 8) and early Heroes games (2, 3) take place in, not from a completely different world because consistentcy needs to be kept. This one would sadly cause an unwanted jarring effect compared to other dragons, so yeah. Still, appreciate it. :)
I was just kidding, don't worry about it :D I find that dragon design to be extra ridiculous, especially compared to MM ones :tongue:

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 06 Oct 2019, 09:23

Speaking of reputation, I read somewhere that in MM7 the regional reputation affected shop prices within that region, is that true? Is this same bonus applied in the merge for MM6 and 8 regions too?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 06 Oct 2019, 09:31

SpectralDragon wrote:What do you think about that, Flamdring and Duroth the Eternal being swapped to their gold (former) + black (latter) versions of themselves and Ghost Dragon being the only "zombified" character to roll a chance to show up as a random Undead-subraced hireling (while other Zombies just remain Zombies with Zombie condition as well) in the base mod/Merge? We do get to meet at least 2 benign ghosts in MM6 after all ... ;)
No. I would keep it original way. But you can make optional modification by changing "Picture" column in "roster.txt" from EnglishT.lod.
Xfing wrote:What do you think?
Speaking about racial skills. In base version of merge i've added 1 extra available tier of utility skill to each race (check "Race Skills.txt" with GrayFace's TxtEdit or Excel). For further tweaks i suggest to focus on class+race combos. "Race skills.txt" now allows to make special modification for class according to character's race.
Thonkerton wrote:Speaking of reputation, I read somewhere that in MM7 the regional reputation affected shop prices within that region, is that true? Is this same bonus applied in the merge for MM6 and 8 regions too?
Yes.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Oct 2019, 11:32

SpectralDragon wrote: Besides, his expressions will show that too if not his paperdoll and I cannot change those like that at all because they're even more fragile to changes like this (and let's not forget that any changes to the head need to be reflected to his face expressions, thus I don't wish to use Warp Transform onto it. I REALLY cannot both bother and afford to use it on all 56 expressions without risking to make some of them worse quality than the rest), thus only additions to it and color changes will be done unless GrayFace does something about this.
Who said anything about the head though? I was thinking more of something like expanding his chest cavity and making his arms a bit buffer or something. Didn't think something like this would screw up the entire paperdoll.
I actually tested the entire metallic effect and it hurt my eyes, thus I settled for more darker colors. ^^; But the gold hue being more towards the red, that's what I was thinking as well. Same with making the head spikes curve downwards and all (thank the Ancients that's just a prototype after all).
Yeah, guess the technical term would be "a warmer shade of gold" - I think that's a good idea too.
Butcer wrote: Ive finished the might and magic games legit many times
Well, now you've got monster bolstering too, but I still wouldn't want to play Rangers with say, GM in all magic schools :D
Thonkerton wrote:Speaking of reputation, I read somewhere that in MM7 the regional reputation affected shop prices within that region, is that true? Is this same bonus applied in the merge for MM6 and 8 regions too?
Aye, and that's in my opinion the best thing about reputation. Get it high enough and you don't even need GM merchant to buy things and services at cost. That's why I thought it would be fun to lock the party's reputation at "Hated" in Deyja/Pit or Bracada/Celeste according to the path chosen. Not only it would coincide with those folks' attitude towards you and therefore add realism, but also hinder you even further. Except of course if you have a GM in Merchant, those guys can even get past obstacles like this, so OP they are 8|
Last edited by Xfing on 06 Oct 2019, 11:38, edited 3 times in total.

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 06 Oct 2019, 14:33

Roland is missing in colony zod ? Any ideas? His cage is just empty?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 06 Oct 2019, 18:03

@Rodril
The crowns and hats are finished and ported in to the game. Spectraldragon did a great job painting and I did the rest. I have all the necessary image and files. Image
David
Last edited by DaveHer on 06 Oct 2019, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Thonkerton
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Thonkerton » 06 Oct 2019, 18:30

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but having an automatic quick spell target for healing spell would be nice to have, it kind of breaks the flow of real time combat when my cleric has to have assigned a target for the Heal. I don't know how many other people feel this is a lacking quality of life thing but for me it's a constant annoyance. Perhaps to have an option for "Autoheal" that either heals whoever has the lowest % health of max health or the one that has lowest health.

Edit Ps. It also seems like the game doesn't behave nicely with OBS push-to-talk regardless of mouse or keyboard bindings, regardless of fullscreen or windowed, it'd be nice to have a workaround or a fix for that too for streaming the game :yes:
Last edited by Thonkerton on 06 Oct 2019, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 06 Oct 2019, 18:45

Butcer wrote:Roland is missing in colony zod ? Any ideas? His cage is just empty?
Thonkerton wrote:Edit Ps. It also seems like the game doesn't behave nicely with OBS push-to-talk regardless of mouse or keyboard bindings, regardless of fullscreen or windowed, it'd be nice to have a workaround or a fix for that too for streaming the game :yes:
I wish I'd know. I'll try to summon ones that know about this. ^^;
Rodril wrote: :gong:
GrayFace wrote: :gong:
Yes?

Figo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Figo » 06 Oct 2019, 21:13

Butcer wrote:Roland is missing in colony zod ? Any ideas? His cage is just empty?
Did You get the quest for it? As far as I remember it's connected to the one of the last quests (slay Xenofex).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 07 Oct 2019, 04:12

Excellent job on the crowns, they look splendid!

Not sure how to feel about minos being able to wear them tho, that's a bit of a reach :p

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 07 Oct 2019, 04:55

Figo wrote:
Did You get the quest for it? As far as I remember it's connected to the one of the last quests (slay Xenofex).
its a vanilla thing, that you can go to the land of giants before you get the quest - normally you get it in the later endgame
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 07 Oct 2019, 06:01

Xfing wrote:Not sure how to feel about minos being able to wear them tho, that's a bit of a reach :p
Just a bit, he's, but hey, gotta have use for these crowns even in late/end-game if you ask me. How many people did decide to keep a crown on their character/s instead of a helm at lategame/endgame if the crown isn't an artifact or a relic? ^^;
Yes?

Butcer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Butcer » 07 Oct 2019, 07:18

justl wrote:
Figo wrote:
its a vanilla thing, that you can go to the land of giants before you get the quest - normally you get it in the later endgame
I got the quest to kill xenofex, his cage is empty. I cant see the quest even though Archiblad already talked to me and gave me a blaster, is it because i went first to land of the giants before getting the kill xenofex quest?

Return to “Might and Magic”