Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Maslyonok » 27 Sep 2019, 06:34

SpectralDragon wrote:Speaking of Gold Dragons, people, which ones do you wish to see be turned into a playable character?

Heroes III (Antagarich) one
or

Might and Magic VI (Enrothian) one?
Heroes's is certainly cooler than M&M's. But how can you add HoMM sprite in the game?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 27 Sep 2019, 08:03

Maslyonok wrote:Heroes's is certainly cooler than M&M's. But how can you add HoMM sprite in the game?
I'll simply edit the pre-existing MM8 Brown Dragon (think Ithilgore) into a Gold one. Will take some weeks for me though, like Black Dragon did. ^^;
Yes?

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 27 Sep 2019, 08:31

Code: Select all

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:113: array index (-847.90728831726) out of bounds [0, 49]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
	...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:113: in function 'GetPlayer'
	...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:174: in function <...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:173>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of 'GetPlayer':
	ptr = 5342896

local variables of 'GetPlayer':
	PlayerId = -847.90728831726
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x0e8cca98)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x2e9b2838)
	(*temporary) = 8.6894648718147e-286
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
I've got a crash in Celeste when I attempted to train my party

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 27 Sep 2019, 08:39

To be fair the Jadamean dragon leader Deftclaw is depicted as a Gold in his room animation and in-game portrait. His appearance matches dragons from for instance Heroes Chronicles: Clash of Dragons - and that game is set on Antagarich too. In the alliance cinematic he is depicted as a Green much reminescent of Ithilgore, but that just goes to show how little communication there was between the cinematics team and the game designers. So again, putting the different appearances of the dragons down to different continents is probably reaching a bit, since I really doubt the game designers put any thought into it. It's just a matter of artistic direction and nothing more, the dragons are pretty much the same across the entire planet. That said, seeing how the black dragon turned out, I definitely want to see a playable gold one too!

And yeah, Tor is definitely polite towards light path characters, so I'd imagine he'd be willing to help in another way, hence my idea for this quest. As for Anthony Green (the light path druid promoter), you might have gotten the erong impression about him. He is heartbroken over you choosing the dark path and basically hates your guts. Just because he congratulates you on your promotion to Warlock out of despondent courtesy doesn't mean he wants anything to do with you.
Last edited by Xfing on 27 Sep 2019, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 27 Sep 2019, 09:17

candida wrote:I've got a crash in Celeste when I attempted to train my party
Apply latest Merge patch: https://mega.nz/#!vuQEnIaQ!wPbMj2-pSudk ... qrnMNEM2pE , tell me if it keep happen.

zealot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zealot » 27 Sep 2019, 09:24

LordInsane wrote:It may, honestly, be time to consider splitting the Tracker. 205 page, more than a few with images, is pretty heavy on Google Docs, and you are far from the only one for which it lags. That does raise the question of what division to make - I'd personally lean towards moving the Paint and Sound Trackers to their own document, Paint is one of the single largest categories as it is, with by its nature many images, and Sound is thematically tied.
We could also set up a real bugtracker like mantisbt or redmine (both are free). I have some experience with this tools, I can help :)

Reed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Reed » 27 Sep 2019, 09:58

is there a bug list?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 27 Sep 2019, 10:09

Reed wrote:is there a bug list?
Yes, in Bug Tracker section of MMMerge Tracker. But maybe, just for convenience, we need to split that too away, just so we all can keep track of the entire thing ... and yes, this pun/repeating of words was unplanned.
Xfing wrote:To be fair the Jadamean dragon leader Deftclaw is depicted as a Gold in his room animation and in-game portrait. His appearance matches dragons from for instance Heroes Chronicles: Clash of Dragons - and that game is set on Antagarich too. In the alliance cinematic he is depicted as a Green much reminiscent of Ithilgore, but that just goes to show how little communication there was between the cinematic team and the game designers. So again, putting the different appearances of the dragons down to different continents is probably reaching a bit, since I really doubt the game designers put any thought into it. It's just a matter of artistic direction and nothing more, the dragons are pretty much the same across the entire planet. That said, seeing how the black dragon turned out, I definitely want to see a playable gold one too!

And yeah, Tor is definitely polite towards light path characters, so I'd imagine he'd be willing to help in another way, hence my idea for this quest. As for Anthony Green (the light path druid promoter), you might have gotten the wrong impression about him. He is heartbroken over you choosing the dark path and basically hates your guts. Just because he congratulates you on your promotion to Warlock out of despondent courtesy doesn't mean he wants anything to do with you.
I knows, but that´s in case some lore maniacs would go after all of us, thus this decision (whenever I´d shape the said playable Gold one after Heroes III one or MM6 one) ... and I honestly thought that Deftclaw looks like that thanks to lighting coming out of the lava river he´s positioned by as well as he doesn˙t show up in "person" at the end of the cinematic, just squashing that one Knight under his foot? ^^;

We´re talking about Light side parties taking Tor˙s Dragon quest, not Dark side parties. :devious: Dark side parties would still get the same old Warlock promotion quest that would end up with a Black Dragon companion while Light side parties would have this "alternative" Dragon companion quest that would end up with a Gold Dragon companion ... and it˙s in THAT alternative Dragon companion quest that Anthony Green could be included in, since well, again, we˙re talking LIGHT side parties, not Dark side ones.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 27 Sep 2019, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 27 Sep 2019, 10:12

How do you think does he look like in this hilarious hat? :D
Had to do that, since Halloween is swiftly coming! :tongue: :D And just to see how would he look like in it.
Yes?

Reed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Reed » 27 Sep 2019, 10:46

Oh i found the bug tracker , :O , wouldn't be actually easier to redo the whole thing in unity for example?
would open a lot of doors. api for modders, easier access, clearer docs , could add bunch of new things...
Last edited by Reed on 27 Sep 2019, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 27 Sep 2019, 10:51

SpectralDragon wrote: I knows, but that´s in case some lore maniacs would go after all of us, thus this decision (whenever I´d shape the said playable Gold one after Heroes III one or MM6 one) ... and I honestly thought that Deftclaw looks like that thanks to lighting coming out of the lava river he´s positioned by as well as he doesn˙t show up in "person" at the end of the cinematic, just squashing that one Knight under his foot? ^^;
Pretty sure he's meant to be a gold dragon in his room animation, but that might just be me. As for the cinematic, he's the one caressing the egg and narrating. Looks just like Ithilgore.
We´re talking about Light side parties taking Tor˙s Dragon quest, not Dark side parties. :devious: Dark side parties would still get the same old Warlock promotion quest that would end up with a Black Dragon companion while Light side parties would have this "alternative" Dragon companion quest that would end up with a Gold Dragon companion ... and it˙s in THAT alternative Dragon companion quest that Anthony Green could be included in, since well, again, we˙re talking LIGHT side parties, not Dark side ones.
Damn, I must have drawn a blank. Correct, he does still like you if you're on the Light path :D

To be fair though, he doesn't seem like a guy who would involve himself with dragons. We might struggle a bit to convincingly fit him in there, since the only thing he's got going for him is that he's Tor's light path counterpart.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 27 Sep 2019, 10:55

SpectralDragon wrote:How do you think does he look like in this hilarious hat? :D
Had to do that, since Halloween is swiftly coming! :tongue: :D And just to see how would he look like in it.
This is one of the reasons why I've always wanted the stuff from all the 3 games properly ported. I'm totally starting a dress-up gallery thread once that's done. All the different hats, armors, cloaks, boots, belts.. there's gonna be a plethora of looks to give your chars!

BTW, I'm super grateful for your work on porting the helmets. YOu're doing a great job there. There's one thing that knida bothers me though (ofc it's not your fault as you're not the one who did it) - the MM6 ad MM7 belts don't look too good. I mean it's great to have them, but they just don't fit the paperdolls well as they are right now. Judging by your work on the helmets it looks like you'd be able to make them look much prettier. Do you think you could take a swipe at them when you're done with the helmets?

LordInsane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LordInsane » 27 Sep 2019, 11:29

Reed wrote:Oh i found the bug tracker , :O , wouldn't be actually easier to redo the whole thing in unity for example?
would open a lot of doors. api for modders, easier access, clearer docs , could add bunch of new things...
Not at this point. There is a separate MM8 engine remake project in Unity, though.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Sep 2019, 11:41

LordInsane wrote:
candida wrote:It was probably a mistake in Google Docs (document is too heavy and my computer is slow).
It may, honestly, be time to consider splitting the Tracker. 205 page, more than a few with images, is pretty heavy on Google Docs, and you are far from the only one for which it lags. That does raise the question of what division to make - I'd personally lean towards moving the Paint and Sound Trackers to their own document, Paint is one of the single largest categories as it is, with by its nature many images, and Sound is thematically tied.
I am against that. The Bug Tracker takes a crapton of pages, so once those are gone... also what I do that the Tracker doesn't lag for me is that I open the tab and go do other stuff until it fully loads. After it is fully loaded, it works fine and without lag. But if I were to try do anything during it loading, then that would be a travesty. Usually takes a few minutes to load.
SpectralDragon wrote:Speaking of Gold Dragons, people, which ones do you wish to see be turned into a playable character?

Heroes III (Antagarich) one
or

Might and Magic VI (Enrothian) one?
Well, the first one looks like a different point of view on the same dragon, just with more details.
Remember that the MM6 NPC an monster sprites were made from 3D models, and those were somewhat limited at the time. (still awesome enough, though! :D )
SpectralDragon wrote:How do you think does he look like in this hilarious hat? :D
Awesome! SORCERER SUPREME! :D
Reed wrote:Oh i found the bug tracker , :O , wouldn't be actually easier to redo the whole thing in unity for example?
No, it most certainly wouldn't. That would take years. And there is already a project like that.
GrayFace's lua reverse engineering has clear docs for it, if you use google to find them. Anybody can code in new features now. Sower coded in gloves and gauntlets being visually shown on the character paperdoll, for example.
Rodril wrote: :hug:
Now that our one dedicated artist is working on item repaints, it might be worth to finally implement (and us to find bugs) in Sower's code for visually wearable gloves and gauntlets. :P
Last edited by Templayer on 27 Sep 2019, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Reed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Reed » 27 Sep 2019, 12:02

This project is gonna take years also , there is always something to fix not to mention long-reaching goals like a stable release:- )
Well could take years in unity, but if there would be somebody with experience it would not be that difficult.
But i get and respect your point. (not a full time)
Last edited by Reed on 27 Sep 2019, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Sep 2019, 12:27

Reed wrote:This project is gonna take years also , there is always something to fix not to mention long-reaching goals like a stable release:- )
Well could take years in unity, but if there would be somebody with experience it would not be that difficult.
But i get and respect your point. (not a full time)
The release has been stable for like half a year. There were some major changes recently to fix other bugs that are causing instability, I presume.
You read only one or two thread pages and are basing your assumptions on that. The Merge was playable and finishable a year ago.
99% of bugs are just little bugs that need to be squashed. Rodril tends to fix major bugs extremely quickly, if he can.

This project is almost finished. Even though the bug tracker might not look like it (also a lot of the bugs there are probably obsolete at this point...).
What we are doing now is adding optional content like new dragon types, new lich and zombie types, etc.
Also Rodril is now assisted by GrayFace, which has been reverse engineering the games for so many years now.

Unity is far from perfect like some people think it is. I find its capabilities quite subpar. So whenever I find people saying "why don't you just do it in Unity", I roll my eyes. But that is quite offtopic here and I do not wish to digress into it any further.

Also people don't know about the ~100+ pages of Bug Reports that were removed from the Bug Tracker because they were squashed by Rodril already.

EDIT: Adding all the MM6-8 games' many intricacies into Unity would take MANY years. "but if there would be somebody with experience it would not be that difficult." - how many years of experience do you have in programming to make that statement? I code software for powerplants and an energy distribution system company in ČR, and that statement of yours made me facepalm myself.
Last edited by Templayer on 27 Sep 2019, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Sep 2019, 13:11

I would like to add to any newcomer here that the targeting crashes and whatnot are an recent occurrence, as there have been 40+ people that finished the game without reporting those crashes in the given locations. So that you do not get the wrong picture, like some people seemingly did. :canthear:
Kaikhorus wrote:Got another monster crash, Earth Elementals in the Plane of Earth. Using the new patch from yesterday. A little glad other people are getting these, thought it was my setup for a moment there. Now to hunt them all down >:)

———————————————————————————————————
C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ExtraEvents.lua:14: array index (-75180.893004115) out of bounds [0, 98]

stack traceback:
	C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ExtraEvents.lua:14: in function 'GetMonster'
	C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ExtraEvents.lua:420: in function 'f'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1846: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1844>
	[C]: in function 'call'
	C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Editor Navigate.lua:209: in function <C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Editor Navigate.lua:184>

arguments of 'GetMonster':
	p = 4346940

local variables of 'GetMonster':
	i = -75180.893004115
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x154d2518)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x20946e68)
	(*temporary) = 3.9272733987418e-282
-----------------------------------
> 
Added to the Bug Tracker.
candida wrote:

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:113: array index (-847.90728831726) out of bounds [0, 49]

stack traceback:
	...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:113: in function 'GetPlayer'
	...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:174: in function <...Games\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\RacialSkills.lua:173>

arguments of 'GetPlayer':
	ptr = 5342896

local variables of 'GetPlayer':
	PlayerId = -847.90728831726
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x0e8cca98)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x2e9b2838)
	(*temporary) = 8.6894648718147e-286
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
I've got a crash in Celeste when I attempted to train my party
Racial skill table structure was recently changed. So this is either my fault, or Rodril's. :D
Added to the Bug Tracker.
candida wrote:

Reported by: candida » Sep 14 2019, 20:08
No “I’ve got it or I’ve disarmed it" sound when the chest is disarmed, reaction only if the chest explodes
Templayer wrote:Then why did you suggest removing that line? I accepted your suggestion, thinking you tested it and it was removed, same as the other suggestion that was made by you in similar fashion...
It was probably a mistake in Google Docs (document is too heavy and my computer is slow).
Added back to the Bug Tracker.
Rodril wrote: :hug:
Crashes galore lately. What the hell is happening? :D :D (I presume it is both new stuff, and perhaps also GrayFace's newest patch? Did one of you try to fix the vanilla targeting glitches, resulting in those crashes? Just cooking water here. :D )
Last edited by Templayer on 27 Sep 2019, 13:17, edited 3 times in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 27 Sep 2019, 13:32

LordInsane wrote:
candida wrote:It was probably a mistake in Google Docs (document is too heavy and my computer is slow).
It may, honestly, be time to consider splitting the Tracker. 205 page, more than a few with images, is pretty heavy on Google Docs, and you are far from the only one for which it lags. That does raise the question of what division to make - I'd personally lean towards moving the Paint and Sound Trackers to their own document, Paint is one of the single largest categories as it is, with by its nature many images, and Sound is thematically tied.
I think that would be much appretiated! :up:
Sometimes one might just want to make a small suggestion to MMMerge or simply report a bug, but that lag in the google drive doc has been training towards GM Level; so can't help but think that this would be a nice solution.
Of course it's cool to have all integrated in but one document… but then, even the choice of a conventional text document imposes certain production limitations to a so dynamic thing. Splitting the document in different documents, if properly referenced (in the forum topic and maybe even between the different documents in links, so people can find what they need), may prove that, having a couple of (or a larger number of) 'Trackers', works better than just a single one.
Last edited by Kinox on 27 Sep 2019, 13:46, edited 4 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Sep 2019, 14:26

Kinox wrote:
LordInsane wrote:
I think that would be much appretiated! :up:
Sometimes one might just want to make a small suggestion to MMMerge or simply report a bug, but that lag in the google drive doc has been training towards GM Level; so can't help but think that this would be a nice solution.
Of course it's cool to have all integrated in but one document… but then, even the choice of a conventional text document imposes certain production limitations to a so dynamic thing. Splitting the document in different documents, if properly referenced (in the forum topic and maybe even between the different documents in links, so people can find what they need), may prove that, having a couple of (or a larger number of) 'Trackers', works better than just a single one.
See my response please.

Also if you just make a post here on the thread with a bug, or a suggestion, and say that you wish for it to be in the Suggestion Tracker, I will add it there myself.
Since it isn't a problem for me...

EDIT: So for example if you only want to report a single small bug or something like that, and don't want to let the Tracker load in the background for a few minutes while you do something else (for some reason. I do not know, I multitask to the maximum, so I have always a but-tload of things to do) just put it here in the thread and I will add it there myself.
If it is a suggestion and you DO want to have it in the Suggestion Tracker, mention it in the post, and I will add it there.

I feel very sad when people call my child slow. :S
Last edited by Templayer on 27 Sep 2019, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Sep 2019, 14:59

Reed wrote:takže taky čech? hhh no já bych to tak nehrotil, dělám v unity cca 2 roky a potenciál tam je na 100pro a udělat tam might and magic by šlo jak po másle. ale chápu že někomu to nejde pod nos , no a co ať si to každej udělá po svém já vím na sto pro že udělat tam mighty by sice trvalo (co netrvá) ale je to možné. dyť to jen nápad. příště nemusíte být tak arogantní nic a nikdo není perfektní.
and no worries, next posts are in english again. : - )
I know it is possible to remake M&M there, but as a person that knows how long and how much effort Rodril and GrayFace spent on it (and that is what I was referring to when I wrote what I do for living - I do have have an idea about how much time and effort what they did took. I was not being arrogant.), seeing someone else saying how easy it would be.... and then calling us arrogant in a Czech post... it's just... sad.

To visually reproduce the M&M areas in unity? Sure, that is rather easy. Certainly not as hard as reproducing their mechanics. :)

For others: "jak po másle" - like butter. He's basically telling us that remaking M&M in Unity would be easy.

Return to “Might and Magic”