Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Sep 2019, 17:17

Templayer wrote:What was the issue? Is there something I should change?
No. There was glitch upon learning skills via Shops/Taverns/Training Halls caused by script.
Phobos wrote:
Xfing wrote:As for spellcasting and spell regen. The game mechanics were never made with 10k+ health monsters in mind. It's the bolstering mechanic that should be made in such a way that we don't feel that basic game mechanics are in need of a fundamental overhaul. I wonder what these cool new formulas are going to be like.
Hmm... I feel the same. By adjusting the bolster mechanic, a lot of the side effects could be avoided. If bolster didn't boost enemy HP so much and mainly focused on damage, it wouldn't make spellcasters so helpless against boosted monsters, but the monsters would still be threatening.
In my opinion, spellcasters were becomnig useless even in original games after their mana pool became empty. Intention of making meditation skill regenerate SP was to make spellcasters keep using low cost offensive abilities such as sparks or poison spray. In current version of merge, meditation only gives 1 point per skill tier and 1 point per 10 skill points. Only class that can GM meditation is druids/warlocks. Bolster was adjusted a lot recently and you can setup it's amount via ingame menu. Let me know, if you think it still require changes.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 24 Sep 2019, 17:38

This race unlocker made some interesting plays. Like lets say max possible damage achieved.
Goblin Monk:
Staff = x
Strength = 30
Staff skill =60
Unarmed skill = (60+10(Hands of Master)+17(Magic item))*2=174
Armsmaster = (60+5(Hero's belt)+17(Magic item))*2=164
Day of the gods = 60+30(Taledon's Helm)+30(Guinevere)+30(Magic item)=150 - Cloak of the Sun counts as magic item.
So x+30+60+174+164+150= 578+x damage.

Also Vampire Druids builds is quite viable at 200% - Put enough points into Earth to 1shot everything with Mass Distortion, while staying in Mist Form.
Last edited by qtish on 24 Sep 2019, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 24 Sep 2019, 17:42

Xfing wrote:Well, going by those values I came up with a while back, this is going to be the best helmet in the game. Just hoping it'l look as good on other paperdoll types too!
I tried my absolute best on making these look good on other paperdolls too, specifically on people. ^^; Just needs more testing when it comes to them in the game (especially on Overdune aka Green Trolls, as they have a bigger tuft of hair), since well, I made the default (inventory) one and ones designed to be on standard males, standard females, Trolls and Dwarves (due to how different Dwarf heads are I had to readjust the helmet position accordingly). Took quite a bit due to me still not being familiar with Warp Transform, as female Dwarf Zombie can show. :D :D
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Sep 2019, 18:02

Removed these bugs from the Bug Tracker (long overdue) as they have been fixed:

Code: Select all

Reported by: Andrey » Aug 6 2019, 00:49
Just did master wizard quest. Expert teachers in Blackshire suggest path of light/dark to me, but whatever I type ("Yes", "yes", "Y", "y", pressing close instead of enter, etc.) nothing happens. Travelled to Paradise Valley, MS teacher does the same. Templayer: From the discussion on the thread - using yes multiple times eventually does it. 
Rodril: Fixed in previous update

Reported by: Andrey » Aug 12 2019, 00:42
Dragon towers fire at you even if you are invisible.
Castle Alamos: 105, 16577. Worst case of "invisible obstacle". Cannot enter the room.
Rodril: fixed in update (22.09.2019)

Reported by: Andrey » Aug 21 2019, 21:24
Blood stains from boulders? I don’t think they have blood. 
Templayer: You're just racists against living boulders! :D :D :D
Andrey: :-)
Rodril: fixed in next update (22.09.2019). It comes, "Quest" column of MONSTERS.txt from EnglishT.lod defines appearance of blood stains upon mosters' death.
Removed these bugs from the Bug Tracker as they have been explained:

Reported by: Andrey » Aug 14 2019, 21:35:
Rescuing Cauri et al. did not consume stone to flesh scrolls (first time I saw that).
UPD: one-time occurrence. I should have a save somewhere, will try to find it.
Rodril: It does not consume scroll if one of your party memebers know "Stone to Flesh" spell, - feature of Merge.

Reported by: Andrey » Aug 15 2019, 11:56:
Defender of VARN in hall of the fire lord (BTW should be called “Fallen Defender” AFAIR) is immune to all magic. Is it intentional? Similar defenders in tomb of VARN are  definitely not immune to dark.
Rodril: yes, intentional.
Templayer: Replaced with only the name bug.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Sep 2019, 18:07

qtish wrote:This race unlocker made some interesting plays. Like lets say max possible damage achieved.
Goblin Monk:
Staff = x
Strength = 30
Staff skill =60
Day of the gods = 60+30(Taledon's Helm)+30(Guinevere)+30(Magic item)=150 - Cloak of the Sun counts as magic item.

Also Vampire Druids builds is quite viable at 200% - Put enough points into Earth to 1shot everything with Mass Distortiot, while staying in Mist Form.
Holy shi.t.

Yeah, you can craft some very potent characters by using the unlocker and min-maxing.
But Goblin Monks and Vampire Druids being OP is something I certainly didn't think of. :D :D

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 24 Sep 2019, 19:46

Templayer wrote:
qtish wrote:This race unlocker made some interesting plays. Like lets say max possible damage achieved.
Goblin Monk:
Staff = x
Strength = 30
Staff skill =60

Also Vampire Druids builds is quite viable at 200% - Put enough points into Earth to 1shot everything with Mass Distortiot, while staying in Mist Form.
Holy shi.t.

Yeah, you can craft some very potent characters by using the unlocker and min-maxing.
But Goblin Monks and Vampire Druids being OP is something I certainly didn't think of. :D :D
Now I dare everyone to say Dragons are still OP! ;)
Yes?

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 24 Sep 2019, 19:53

A Dragon Knight is - Armsmaster affects (affected? I haven't looked since the latest GrayFace patch/Merge update) Dragon's ranged attack

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 24 Sep 2019, 20:23

Atm trying 3 Goblin monks, Vampire Priest, Vampire Lich. 4/5 party can GM Learning, and Stone City max merchant, so can dish out a lot of gold and exp from this build. Seems like Monk is the most OP class, because you can achieve up to 87% evasion.

On a note for interesting builds, everything Axe related is also viable in 200%, because of high armor class.
Like Minotaur Archer, Dark Elf would have GM in Bow, Axe, Armsmaster. Minotaur Dark Elf sounds weird though, but you can create one :D

candida
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby candida » 24 Sep 2019, 20:48

Just reached the "fork" between the light and dark path in Antagarich.

Not a bug, but:

If you didn't learn Staff in Emerald Island, there is NO single shop to learn the Staff skill (except Celeste and Pit).

Would it make sense to add it at least in Pierpont or Avlee or making it possible to go to Emerald Island?

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 24 Sep 2019, 23:23

So, I tried Vampire Druids party, and so far it is very easy, but some save scumming involved.
Party: 4 Vampire Druids, 1 Vampire Sorc. Stats 9/9/25/22/9/9/9/9 (max mp), starting skills: druids - water, meditation; sorc air+whatever.

This is where save scumming starts, I was very lucky, and needed to do it only once upon creating a party. The key is hirelings: apprentice(+2), mystic(+3), spell master (+4). Started in MM7, got lucky with 1 apprentice 1 spell master in starting area. After collecticing some gold, my druids with day of the gods pedestal had 70 mana, water magic +6, poison spray shooting for 11-13 damage /2mana. Clearing emerald isle was easy. Got to harmondale. On 2nd savescumming I got lucky again, and got 2 spell masters. So all my skills at lvl1 already had +14. Just 1 heal is enough to make full heal, so traps are alright as long as they dont kill you. The biggest issue with this build is gold. Spell master is 20%, x4, meaning you are left with 20%.
So goal is get some meditation. Then all the druids are getting master in water, because all will have enchant item, buying all non magic stuff in stone city, enchanting and selling it for higher prices. Training in Stone City is best, and every 2 levels all shops reset for more gold. In all the areas, just after entering - donate 5 times to temple to get starting reputation +5. Some quests will boost it even more once completed.
The end game goal is a lot of points into meditation and earth magic and do mass distortion. Still thinking about solution to earth immune target.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 24 Sep 2019, 23:50

Goblin Monk:
Staff = x
Strength = 30
Staff skill =60

Also Vampire Druids builds is quite viable at 200% - Put enough points into Earth to 1shot everything with Mass Distortion, while staying in Mist Form.
Last i checked though, weapon damage seems to have a hard cap. I have Great Wyrms with 60 Grand Dragon skill, yet i've never seen them do above a 398 damage hit, when the stat page says they're capable of 70-610 damage.

But yeah, Vampire spellcasters are definitely powerful due to Mist Form granting Physical Immunity. A high skill Day of Protection makes Elemental/Mind/Body damage deal very little to your chars, but other than Expertise bonuses like Master Plate or GM Chain, there's no way to really reduce Physical damage taken when hit. As far as i remember, AC only reduces the chance to take a hit, but not the actual damage taken. The biggest threat to spellcasters then, is Physical damage, especially with Monster Bolster, and Mist Form is able to nullify that danger while still allowing the caster to retain the bulk of his damage output.

Mass Distortion can be resisted, and oftentimes is.
Last edited by Daedros on 25 Sep 2019, 00:37, edited 4 times in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 25 Sep 2019, 00:26

Rodril wrote:No. There was glitch upon learning skills via Shops/Taverns/Training Halls caused by script.
Chief, we have another problem. ^^;
candida wrote:Just reached the "fork" between the light and dark path in Antagarich.

Not a bug, but:

If you didn't learn Staff in Emerald Island, there is NO single shop to learn the Staff skill (except Celeste and Pit).

Would it make sense to add it at least in Pierpont or Avlee or making it possible to go to Emerald Island?
I'd add that ability to learn Staff in Pierpoint, Spaward (main town of Avlee), Deyja, Bracada and maybe Nighon.

Makes me kind of worried how would new items be implemented, since I've started to do missing helmet and hat assets while working on a male Dwarf Zombie (you can find Angelic Helm assets in the Queue and hopefully they're not too problematic for you to edit and properly name them and categorize and all. ^^; ) and whenever or not their spawn rate would be glitched like it apparently is with the Cutlass in low-level chest back in New Sorpigal. ^^; :D
Yes?

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 25 Sep 2019, 00:47

Another thing about SP regeneration. There are areas where you'll need the extra sustain granted by Meditation's SP Regen. Castle Darkmoor for instance, especially at high Levels. When your buffs are constantly being dispelled by Maddening Eyes and Liches, are you're taking near full damage from all the magic and attacks, your Priest needs to be spamming Power Cure. The Kreegan at Sweetwater and Land of the Giants are also able to drop your SP to 0 with a single attack, which is pretty devastating when they hit your Priest with it (no heals then). Having to chug a Divine Power potion every time they do that would be a major PITA, just for them to do it to you again.
Last edited by Daedros on 25 Sep 2019, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 25 Sep 2019, 07:39

Got a crash in Deyja from bolstered Harpies (the game doesn't crash when I enter Deyja with bolstered monsters off). My main character's level is 103 if that helps. Here's a save and the MM8extension debug output below. I'm using the latest patch that I downloaded today. Hope this helps!

———————————————————————————————————
C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\SpellsTweaks.lua:128: array index (272) out of bounds [0, 217]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
	C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\SpellsTweaks.lua:128: in function 'v'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function 'docall'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:111: in function 'call'
	C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ExtraEvents.lua:426: in function 'f'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1846: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1844>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>
	[C]: in function 'call'
	C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Editor Navigate.lua:209: in function <C:\M&M\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\Global\Editor Navigate.lua:184>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
	Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of 'v':
	t = (table: 0x20308270)

local variables of 'v':
	x = 15104
	y = -1792
	z = 498
	Mon = (table: 0x0c968250)
	(for generator) = (table: 0x14837108)
	(for state) = nil
	(for control) = 0
	i = 0
	v = (table: 0x20308468)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x044c5aa0)
	(*temporary) = 272
	(*temporary) = 0
	(*temporary) = 0
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x20308468)
	(*temporary) = 7.8339574789739e-286

upvalues of 'v':
	GetDist = (function: 0x045080b8)
-----------------------------------
> 

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Sep 2019, 08:59

Rodril wrote: In my opinion, spellcasters were becomnig useless even in original games after their mana pool became empty. Intention of making meditation skill regenerate SP was to make spellcasters keep using low cost offensive abilities such as sparks or poison spray. In current version of merge, meditation only gives 1 point per skill tier and 1 point per 10 skill points. Only class that can GM meditation is druids/warlocks. Bolster was adjusted a lot recently and you can setup it's amount via ingame menu. Let me know, if you think it still require changes.
The point is - the game does allow players to replenish their mana. There are blue potions and Divine Power potions. While it's bothersome and cumbersome to make those potions, I believe it was the intention of the game makers that parties go out on hunts prepared. Preparing for long hunts also increases immersion and can improve the overall experience. A Divine Power potion with a decent power rating like say, 100 can replenish any caster's mana practically fully. Giving players free mana regen kind of erases reliance on mana potions, which is kind of a big aspect of the game and an intended mechanic.

The balancing of the games isn't perfect, as tate game parties were always OP and steamrolled through everything with just a very restricted number of buff spells. Having to manage the spellcasters' mana is very much a thing early-game, and that's why early-game adventures tend to be among the most rewarding (MM6's Abandoned Temple or the first Temple of Baa, anyone?). I think keeping it as a thing into late game would make the game harder, but also more rewarding when a difficult area is conquered.
Last edited by Xfing on 25 Sep 2019, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 25 Sep 2019, 11:10

Dwarf Zombie paperdolls, funky as they might be, are COMPLETE!
You can get the source .zip files HERE:
:right: https://sta.sh/01zcodra1s9p :left:

The file contains paperdoll parts for both Male and Female Zombie Dwarves. They˙re designed to use generic Zombie expressions and Zombie voices, thus just the paperdolls. Thank you, GrayFace, for tutorial videos on how to do Warp Transforming paperdolls! :hug:

And with that, we˙ve conquered this Zombie mountain! :D :D :D
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 25 Sep 2019, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 25 Sep 2019, 12:26

Wanted to DL the newer updated MOD, but one drive says "does not exist" ?

Anyone else have this problem ?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 25 Sep 2019, 12:33

Kaikhorus wrote:Got a crash in Deyja from bolstered Harpies (the game doesn't crash when I enter Deyja with bolstered monsters off). My main character's level is 103 if that helps. Here's a save and the MM8extension debug output below. I'm using the latest patch that I downloaded today. Hope this helps!
Fixed, thank you. Apply latest patch: https://mega.nz/#!i2Zn3ABT!49Ce_fUj4gxZ ... ZW4_qvZCkk
UnknownHuman wrote:Wanted to DL the newer updated MOD, but one drive says "does not exist" ?
Anyone else have this problem ?
Uploading version with fix, will be available in 15 min.

UnknownHuman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnknownHuman » 25 Sep 2019, 12:37

@Rodril.

Thanks mate :)

How exactly do you "unlock" characters to chose/create from ?

Thanks.
Last edited by UnknownHuman on 25 Sep 2019, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 25 Sep 2019, 13:59

Some bugs removed from the Bug Tracker since they were evidently fixed (not reported as fixed by Rodril though, but by the reporter)

Reported by: candida » Sep 14 2019, 20:08
All wells have cloudy skies textures instead of waters in them in Stone City
No “I’ve got it or I’ve disarmed it sound when the chest is disarmed, reaction only if the chest explodes
SpectralDragon wrote:Dwarf Zombie paperdolls, funky as they might be, are COMPLETE!
You can get the source .zip files HERE:
:right: https://sta.sh/01zcodra1s9p :left:

The file contains paperdoll parts for both Male and Female Zombie Dwarves. They˙re designed to use generic Zombie expressions and Zombie voices, thus just the paperdolls. Thank you, GrayFace, for tutorial videos on how to do Warp Transforming paperdolls! :hug:

And with that, we˙ve conquered this Zombie mountain! :D :D :D
YAAY. Can't wait to see your in-game pictures for the items you are repainting, after I saw that helmet...

Return to “Might and Magic”