Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby loboramdk » 11 Jul 2019, 18:51

I can gladly report back to you all now with the added information. I did a DirectX "archive" (all backdated) install because I noticed some DirectDraw errors in the Error.log, and then I disabled the PaperDollInChest option: That solved the chest crashes. No idea if it were the first thing or the second, but at least now I am opening chests like a possessed mad-man (so not so far from reality).

I will be happy to give my eternal gratitude for this Grandmaster Work of Art, thanks for all of you, all your work and effort in this project.

I will do my best to learn and participate so that I may add some more to this incredible merge, but first I shall move out of the pitt of deadly polution (city), into the wild-wonderful-nature where I will find my animal-spirit and become what I always was, just asleep, awaiting, now awakening.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 11 Jul 2019, 19:53

Maslyonok wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:
Jamesx wrote:Tried it few minutes ago. Works fine, I opened those chests without any problems. Idk what happened. Maybe it's because of localization? :S
P.S. Rodrill is still not appeared? Any news? :|
I'm asking the exact same thing, since I dread that if this persist past September then we'll need to split this mod between multiple coders like you, Templayer and GrayFace just to keep it alive when it comes to bug fixes alone. :S :S Same with adding remaining stuff needed to be added, since who'll add them if the leader cannot due to critical existence failure?
There is no way to transfer the authority of the project leader to someone else?
Not that I know, since Rodril, being the project leader, knows all ins and outs of this mod, thus the authority of the project leader transferring will be a tough one because as much as I know, none of us except maybe 2 other coders (GrayFace, Templayer by my knowledge) know the ins and outs of this mod, thus with each update, there's always a risk of more breaks and bugs that what we'd wish to see. :S
Yes?

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 11 Jul 2019, 20:12

SpectralDragon wrote: Not that I know, since Rodril, being the project leader, knows all ins and outs of this mod, thus the authority of the project leader transferring will be a tough one because as much as I know, none of us except maybe 2 other coders (GrayFace, Templayer by my knowledge) know the ins and outs of this mod, thus with each update, there's always a risk of more breaks and bugs that what we'd wish to see. :S
Yes, it is risky, but do we have a way out? Continue to sit and wait for a miracle? ;|

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 11 Jul 2019, 20:17

Maslyonok wrote:Yes, it is risky, but do we have a way out? Continue to sit and wait for a miracle? ;|
Thus I said "if it persists past September". If you're brave enough you can ask GrayFace/Templayer/any other great coder you know here yourself. I'll do that if Rodril's not heard from until either September or October.
DaveHer wrote: :gong:
:up: Or him, seeing how he's having a mod on his own that is compatible with MMMerge (CCR), even though I kind of doubt he'd wish to take charge of this mod as well, so yeah, for now I'd suggest waiting at least until autumn. Miracles do happen after all.
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 11 Jul 2019, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 11 Jul 2019, 20:37

SpectralDragon wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:Yes, it is risky, but do we have a way out? Continue to sit and wait for a miracle? ;|
Thus I said "if it persists past September". If you're brave enough you can ask GrayFace/Templayer/any other great coder you know here yourself. I'll do that if Rodril's not heard from until either September or October.
DaveHer wrote: :gong:
:up: Or him, seeing how he's having a mod on his own that is compatible with MMMerge (CCR), even though I kind of doubt he'd wish to take charge of this mod as well, so yeah, for now I'd suggest waiting at least until autumn. Miracles do happen after all.
How many courage is necessary to ask them about it? :D
No need to ask, the main thing is - the person's desire to lead the project. Well, we'll wait then...

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 11 Jul 2019, 20:44

Maslyonok wrote:How many courage is necessary to ask them about it? :D
No need to ask, the main thing is - the person's desire to lead the project. Well, we'll wait then...
More than you can imagine. :|

Yus, for now we can only wait and try to solve these annoying bugs on our own (even though I'm not playing the mod for now, got some more pressing matters at hand, mainly trying to keep my laptop up to date, so that I can do the Zombie Troll that is the only mandatory character needed for this mod nowadays. Thanks, Zombie condition (others like Ghost Dragon and Zombie Mino were already done, just not implemented in yet ... except Ghost Dragon, of course, who is not implemented in fully because he's missing custom voices together with the optional Dracolich)!). It's summer after all, generally a time of rest and going out more to have some great times irl and whatnots. ^^;
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 11 Jul 2019, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.
Yes?

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 11 Jul 2019, 20:59

SpectralDragon wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:How many courage is necessary to ask them about it? :D
More than you can imagine. :|

Yus, for now we can only wait and try to solve these annoying bugs on our own (even though I'm not playing the mod for now, got some more pressing matters at hand, mainly trying to keep my laptop up to date, so that I can do the Zombie Troll that is the only mandatory character needed for this mod nowadays. Thanks, Zombie condition (others like Ghost Dragon and Zombie Mino were already done, just not implemented in yet ... except Ghost Dragon, of course, who is not implemented in fully because he's missing custom voices together with the optional Dracolich)!). It's summer after all, generally a time of rest and going out more to have some great times irl and whatnots. ^^;
I agree. In general, you are a big fan of the undead, as I can see, isn't it? :tongue:

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 11 Jul 2019, 21:09

Maslyonok wrote:I agree. In general, you are a big fan of the undead, as I can see, isn't it? :tongue:
Hilariously, the only undead I'm a legit fan of are Ghosts and Liches ... and even then my tastes vary, with Dragon variants of them being my absolute favorites. 2nd favorites are human variants of both, only then we go into the territory of other variants like Minotaurs and whatnot. The Dracolich is still my favorite one of this custom lineup, mainly because he was the first I've made together with provided help from both Templayer and Jamesx ... and Ghost Dragon was the 2nd, so yeah. :D :D :D I also made a living Dragon variant on my own free will, which is Black Dragon, so yeah, I did the undead (especially Minotaur variants - Lich, Zombie) because I was asked to and only with Dragon variants I wished to do them as well, ha ha ha ha ha!

And yes, still a Dragon fan today, no matter where they stand in the game. :tongue: I already said to some people that since I made Undead Dragons (with some help, of course, except Ghost Dragon monster sprites) they can very well equalize me with Zanthora by this point. :D :D
Last edited by SpectralDragon on 11 Jul 2019, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?

Emjayen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Emjayen » 12 Jul 2019, 01:59

GrayFace wrote: The number of FrontBuffer.Blt(BackBuffer) basically.
Yeah that's what I assumed.

The short of it is: When you issue any draw calls (including present/flip/write-frontbuffer), these operations are marshalled by the runtime, to the usermode driver, which translates and stores them in a queue which is later dispatched to the GPU for processing. Generally at any point the client (your process) will be about 2-3 frames worth of work behind the GPU*

Obviously the queue is not infinite either, and in the case of the old D3D API, the emulation uses a policy of dropping frames when a certain queue length threshold is reached and throttles the client to keep things going somewhat steadily.

For reference the correct way to measure these sort of things is by inserting fences in the GPU command stream, which isn't exposed by pre-DX9 (via e.g, D3DQUERYTYPE_EVENT)

* This is why say, locking a buffer in flight (e.g, a surface/texture) without specifying the correct flags (e.g, write) will often result in catastrophic performance degradation; it forces the pending commands to be retired to fulfill correct behaviour, which means flushing the queue/waiting for it to be processed, possibly scheduling a DMA to get the resource back to system memory and finally getting the result back up to userland so the seemingly innocuous pSurface->Lock()/Map() call can return.

EDIT: This tool appears to provide accurate data. e.g:

Last edited by Emjayen on 12 Jul 2019, 05:16, edited 4 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 12 Jul 2019, 16:33

loboramdk wrote: The White-Potion making tree does not ring a bell at all though, where and how does that work?

One last time...I was not being all angry or up in arms over the "jokes", I just immediately thought of other people who might find that a bit too far, so I was trying to convey the point of view that it might not work as intended everytime m8. Also sorry to hear about ending the thread, this is an extremely useful forum for the Merge-build, and once I move out of the city I might very well start working on this project in my spare time too, hopefully you won't give up just yet.
There is a tree in MM8 that grants you essentially infinite white potions, which you can then sell.

I do not plan to end the thread (nor can I, since this is Rodril's thread), I just stopped having it open and checking it. I will keep that for the weekends.
Maslyonok wrote:Well, it's done, I think. I'm attaching files and the log.

Russian localization
Corrected original localization file

If you notice a typo or an error - tell me, and I'll fix it.
Added to the Implementation Queue on the Tracker, since first-post update would be needed and I cannot do that. Rodril seems to either have taken a vacation, or perhaps he considers the project finished and done (or he got ran over by a car, who knows).
SpectralDragon wrote: Done that myself as well even though even today I have absolutely no idea what and where this "white potion-making tree" is ^^; ... and tbh, I have no regrets as well. Recycling needs to exist in Enroth (as a planet) too. :D :D :D Not to even mention we all need cash for leveling up, he he he he he.

"/../ as I have once lost a quest item due to how vanilla handles it (i.e. not at all)" -> you mean Eclipse, don't you? :S Happened all the time with me in vanilla, only GrayFace's patch fixed that.
(
Alvar, on the upper hills.

And that shield is SO FAT the game just decided to DELETE IT. ARGH. :D
SpectralDragon wrote:... and speaking of typos/errors, did you notice some that even default MM8 has at times like wrong grammar, punctuation and so on? I'd like to point some out, but I dunno if Rodril/GrayFace/both of them already fixed them. ^^;
We had a Typo Tracker at one point, I can reintroduce it to the Tracker.
Maslyonok wrote:I would be interested to know if the text that Verdant says has changed during the development of the mod? Because I look at the original text *stares*, I look at the translation *glares* and ... they almost do not match! As if the translation was done on the OLD text. Well, or the translator allowed himself too much wheeze. Tell me, is it something I don’t understand or something else?

For understanding, I will give the original text and text-translation, which I will translate again into English for convenience
Original text (file NPCText, string 2152)

What I need you to do is really rather simple in concept. Basically, I know you’re capable of saving the world, so I will need you to do it a few more times. Just three times total, don’t worry! With the other two groups of heroes currently or permanently indisposed, you’ve got to pick up the slack or things will get really messed up. I mean, really: the history will rewrite itself, and, given the scope of changes and the amount of lives affected, who knows. The history might just say ‘Enough is enough!’ and explode everything. A wild, yet educated, guess. So you see the problem.
Oh, you didn’t know you were heroes? Right, right, I tend to forget how stable-timed people operate and think. Of course. Well, yes, welcome to the hero-dom. You can try to escape your path, but in all honesty, it will be much easier to just get the world saving done.
Personally, I think I actually love this idea. It may sound cold, but I can’t help it, heroes are my weakness. And three time world-savers? I’m about to melt on the spot. Mrrrau! A silver lining, you may call it, yeah?

And the translation of the same line in the "Russian" file (English-Russian-English, lol)

As I have already told you, two squads of heroes disappeared from the general line of reality. Rather, they are not completely disappeared. I tried to spy for them. Several alternative lines of development have emerged and they are there. At present, the situation is such that, according to our calculations, several alternative lines of development should collapse into one general line. Nobody knows how this will happen, there are many options and all of them are bad for us. Good that I've met you. And it gives me hope for a happy outcome.

I just can leave this translation as it is or have to shovel everything in a new way. I wonder if the expression "to shovel?" exists in English.
Fixing it would be preferable.
GrayFace wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote:
GrayFace wrote: What's CTD?
As much as I know, it's "Crash To Desktop".
Quite a pointless abbreviation. What else could a crash be?
A Crash To Desktop is a crash that visually produces no log, error, etc. Just "blink" and you are at your desktop. Thus the name. No "unhandled exception occurred" or anything.
Maslyonok wrote: There is no way to transfer the authority of the project leader to someone else?
I do not think that the admins here like me enough to let me edit Rodril's first post.
I could make a whole new website (dynamic, and quickly too), perhaps with a forum. (section splitting would be needed if I had to code stuff and do debugging / bug fixing)
loboramdk wrote:I can gladly report back to you all now with the added information. I did a DirectX "archive" (all backdated) install because I noticed some DirectDraw errors in the Error.log, and then I disabled the PaperDollInChest option: That solved the chest crashes. No idea if it were the first thing or the second, but at least now I am opening chests like a possessed mad-man (so not so far from reality).
Added to your original bug report, since this is crucial in finding and fixing the bug. Even though this might be GrayFace's responsibility. :D
GrayFace wrote:
Prodding just in case. :D
SpectralDragon wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote: I'm asking the exact same thing, since I dread that if this persist past September then we'll need to split this mod between multiple coders like you, Templayer and GrayFace just to keep it alive when it comes to bug fixes alone. :S :S Same with adding remaining stuff needed to be added, since who'll add them if the leader cannot due to critical existence failure?
There is no way to transfer the authority of the project leader to someone else?
Not that I know, since Rodril, being the project leader, knows all ins and outs of this mod, thus the authority of the project leader transferring will be a tough one because as much as I know, none of us except maybe 2 other coders (GrayFace, Templayer by my knowledge) know the ins and outs of this mod, thus with each update, there's always a risk of more breaks and bugs that what we'd wish to see. :S
I wouldn't say that I know all the inns and outs of this mod, but I did read the code, which is rather cryptic and sometimes quite hard to decipher by the way, and if I look hard enough, I can figure out what does what and change it. I can already code a few things for myself (making all the "secret magical places" trigger the effect immediately upon entry (or clicking, in a few cases), instead of having to cast a spell that you most probably won't have at the stages they are located at (the first place on each continent, that is)). And I did go through the Zombification code.
Last edited by Templayer on 12 Jul 2019, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 12 Jul 2019, 17:44

Templayer wrote: Added to the Implementation Queue on the Tracker, since first-post update would be needed and I cannot do that. Rodril seems to either have taken a vacation, or perhaps he considers the project finished and done (or he got ran over by a car, who knows).
Thanks. I hope no car ran over him 8|
Templayer wrote: Fixing it would be preferable.
Already working on it. And it's fun!

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 12 Jul 2019, 18:07

Templayer wrote: Added to the Implementation Queue on the Tracker, since first-post update would be needed and I cannot do that. Rodril seems to either have taken a vacation, or perhaps he considers the project finished and done (or he got ran over by a car, who knows).
SpectralDragon wrote: Done that myself as well even though even today I have absolutely no idea what and where this "white potion-making tree" is ^^; ... and tbh, I have no regrets as well. Recycling needs to exist in Enroth (as a planet) too. :D :D :D Not to even mention we all need cash for leveling up, he he he he he.

"/../ as I have once lost a quest item due to how vanilla handles it (i.e. not at all)" -> you mean Eclipse, don't you? :S Happened all the time with me in vanilla, only GrayFace's patch fixed that.
(
Alvar, on the upper hills.

And that shield is SO FAT the game just decided to DELETE IT. ARGH. :D
SpectralDragon wrote:
Maslyonok wrote: There is no way to transfer the authority of the project leader to someone else?
I wouldn't say that I know all the inns and outs of this mod, but I did read the code, which is rather cryptic and sometimes quite hard to decipher by the way, and if I look hard enough, I can figure out what does what and change it. I can already code a few things for myself (making all the "secret magical places" trigger the effect immediately upon entry (or clicking, in a few cases), instead of having to cast a spell that you most probably won't have at the stages they are located at (the first place on each continent, that is)). And I did go through the Zombification code.
As Masly says, he better not be dead after all ... and it's kind of hard to consider the project finished with missing MM6 armors and whatnot. ^^; Aka stuff that seem to be the most important for this thing instead of I dunno, missing Zombie Troll and whatnot.

Ok, thanks ... and touché. Bloody Eclipse, just needs to be an actual eclipse, eh? (facepalms abode)

Thus my suggestion on you, even if I already know you code stuff for a living. Of course if Rodril doesn't show up in autumn, that is ... (shifty eyes)
Yes?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Jul 2019, 19:16

loboramdk wrote:I can gladly report back to you all now with the added information. I did a DirectX "archive" (all backdated) install because I noticed some DirectDraw errors in the Error.log, and then I disabled the PaperDollInChest option: That solved the chest crashes. No idea if it were the first thing or the second, but at least now I am opening chests like a possessed mad-man (so not so far from reality).
Send me the error log in PM.
Templayer wrote:There is a tree in MM8 that grants you essentially infinite white potions, which you can then sell.
I've probably disabled its infiniteness. Not sure though.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 12 Jul 2019, 20:20

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:There is a tree in MM8 that grants you essentially infinite white potions, which you can then sell.
I've probably disabled its infiniteness. Not sure though.
It is true that the last time I played through MM8 (i.e. a series on youtube) it was without your patch, I think. Or some old version. It was MANY years ago.

And don't worry, even if you have disabled it, Lloyd's Beacon and the magical 10k granting chest in the NWC Dungeon in MM6 will still cover ALL my late game training fees! :D :D :D

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 13 Jul 2019, 12:53

SpectralDragon wrote: As Masly says, he better not be dead after all ... and it's kind of hard to consider the project finished with missing MM6 armors and whatnot. ^^; Aka stuff that seem to be the most important for this thing instead of I dunno, missing Zombie Troll and whatnot.
No one has ever called me like that :embarrased: :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jul 2019, 13:18

Maslyonok wrote:
SpectralDragon wrote: As Masly says, he better not be dead after all ... and it's kind of hard to consider the project finished with missing MM6 armors and whatnot. ^^; Aka stuff that seem to be the most important for this thing instead of I dunno, missing Zombie Troll and whatnot.
No one has ever called me like that :embarrased: :D
:D :D :D

It might be a semi-slavic cultural thing actually. I used to call everyone by their shortened nicknames all the times. My father included! :D

I mean SpectralDragon even has a youtube account as "GDSpectra", and if we were in a conversation, I would probably call him that. (Spectra)

Similarly I called TheFuzimi (check his youtube! Shameless promotion! :D :D ) Fuzi, Skineri Skinr, Trpaslík Trp (in Czech that changes based on what you are doing with the name, so if I were to call him out, it would become "Trpe!", etc.), Vyktory as Vyk, ...

Still you got the better part of the deal, I am getting called "Temp" all the time! :D
That reminds me that I might have to make an NTFS link to get the temp folders out of my small SSD system harddrive. :P

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 13 Jul 2019, 15:38

Templayer wrote:
Maslyonok wrote: No one has ever called me like that :embarrased: :D
:D :D :D

It might be a semi-slavic cultural thing actually. I used to call everyone by their shortened nicknames all the times. My father included! :D

I mean SpectralDragon even has a youtube account as "GDSpectra", and if we were in a conversation, I would probably call him that. (Spectra)

Similarly I called TheFuzimi (check his youtube! Shameless promotion! :D :D ) Fuzi, Skineri Skinr, Trpaslík Trp (in Czech that changes based on what you are doing with the name, so if I were to call him out, it would become "Trpe!", etc.), Vyktory as Vyk, ...

Still you got the better part of the deal, I am getting called "Temp" all the time! :D
That reminds me that I might have to make an NTFS link to get the temp folders out of my small SSD system harddrive. :P
I actually called him (or her, just in case. I already had people be pissed off at me for "guessing" their gender wrong because masculine is also the gender-neutral pronoun! :disagree: :D :D Then what, mad people, should I then call you the same way Ashan Orcs call each other or what (since they HATE pronouns according to Ashan lore and yes, I actually checked that thanks to one gem of an Ashan-placed game called Dark Messiah)???) that because I couldn't remember the username in entirety, so I went with the short version of it I've found sensible. :D :D

"Trpe!" :D :D And no worries, even my AMERICAN friends call me Spectra nowadays, so I'm totally fine being called that. Much nicer one than being called any of my previous nicknames here on the Web, one of them being "Goldie". I was a much weirder person in the past there.

Like Roticet, he called you "temp", with the small starting letter. :devious: :devious: I'll only call you that if you're fine with it. ;) Bloody temp folders, arrrrghh!
Yes?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 13 Jul 2019, 15:57

SpectralDragon wrote: Like Roticet, he called you "temp", with the small starting letter. :devious: :devious: I'll only call you that if you're fine with it. ;) Bloody temp folders, arrrrghh!
I am fine with friends and Czech people calling me Temp. One Czech guy once tried saying "Templayer" and skipped the "m", and the resulting pronunciation was identical to that of "teplej", which is a sometimes derogatory term for a gay person. From that point onwards, all Czech people that cannot do proper English pronouncing can call me just "Temp". :D :D :D

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 13 Jul 2019, 16:09

Xfing wrote:As things are right now, you can ironically get a Master Necromancer with any class except a Necromancer from Jadame :D

To do that you need to have either an Archmage or Master Wizard and talk to Su Lang Manchu in Paradise Valley, he'll change you into a Master Necromancer. Jadamean Necros are doomed to become Liches instead for now. Maybe something will be done about this, it has already been reported.
Thanks!
Templayer wrote:There is a Master Necromancer class for those that do not wish to become Liches. (new content)
Something like what Archibald is. He teaches GM in Dark Magic. Yet he is not a Liche. And he is not a priest of the dark either.
He is a Master Necromancer. :)
Btw he's warlock in Heroes 2. Does it means that druids should get a dark magic skill? :)
Last edited by Jezebeth Noir on 13 Jul 2019, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

Jezebeth Noir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jezebeth Noir » 13 Jul 2019, 16:10

del
Last edited by Jezebeth Noir on 13 Jul 2019, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”