Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 10.06.2019]

Unread postby Maslyonok » 07 Jul 2019, 16:35

In the process of translation, I ran into one problem. In the recipe of a potion in English language such nonsense is written:
(archive EnglishT.lod, file scroll.txt, lines 763-768)

Essence of Might recipe Essence of Luck increases a character’s Might by 15, while subtracting 5 from his Intellect. This potion requires six reagents to mix, four of any one color supplemented by one from each of the remaining colors.

Instead of any other statistics everywhere is "Luck"

At the same time in the recipe of Essence of Luck it is written:
(archive EnglishT.lod, file scroll.txt, line 754)

Essence of Luck recipe Essence of Luck increases a character’s Luck by 15, while subtracting 2 from the other statistics. This potion requires six reagents to mix, four of any one color supplemented by one from each of the remaining colors.
:|
Although we know that the Essence of Luck reduces Accuracy by 5, not "2 from the other statistics".
What should I do?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 07 Jul 2019, 17:17

alekssandros wrote:I`m getting a constant CTD when try to aproach to the "Intellect Tent" in bootleg Bay.

If u require a error log, tell me where it is =P
After 5 CTD I made a quicksave/quickload and solved xD it'S MAGIC!!!!!!

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby loboramdk » 07 Jul 2019, 19:01

So I already ran into a bug: https://imgur.com/a/rIBqsBu

Game crashes when I open these chests

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby loboramdk » 07 Jul 2019, 19:03

alekssandros wrote:After 5 CTD I made a quicksave/quickload and solved xD it'S MAGIC!!!!!!
How to Quicksave/Quickload, there are no options to bind the keyboard for quick-anything in controls?

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 07 Jul 2019, 19:22

loboramdk wrote:
alekssandros wrote:After 5 CTD I made a quicksave/quickload and solved xD it'S MAGIC!!!!!!
How to Quicksave/Quickload, there are no options to bind the keyboard for quick-anything in controls?
yes, u must modify the mm8.ini

QuickSavesKey=116
QuickLoadKey=112

116 is F5
112 is F1

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 07 Jul 2019, 20:04

loboramdk wrote:Installed MM8 GOG, Greyface latest patch (unselecting all the boxes with MM678 merge conflicts), Greyface MMExtension and MMEditor extraction into game folder, MM678 merge build from this site extraction into game folder, in that order. English localization? Not entirely sure what you mean with localization. But the order in which I did things is the only one that did not end in a crash before loading the first screen, the start game screen.

Have downloaded the link you offered and will now test to see if that works :)

Edited: The link you provided works just as the description of this wonderful project build says it does! Thanks a million, I am going to be speding SO much time in this youth nostalgia remake :applause:

One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?
"Greyface MMExtension and MMEditor" are already a part of the Merge, using a different version than in the Merge and then replacing it with the Merge's version might have caused some "rogue files" (we had that problem here before...)

OF COURSE it is possible to disable POV mouse lock. Sheesh, thanks to GrayFace it is possible to do pretty much anything you want with the game! :D
Open up mm8.ini in notepad (or any plain text editor) and change anything you want there, there is quite a few options for GrayFace's patch.
The setting you are trying to change is I think MouseLook=1 (change it to MouseLook=0)

Also BE SURE to read the Tracker in my signature! It has a lot of additional information, additional modifications, useful info, tutorials,...
alekssandros wrote:
alekssandros wrote:I`m getting a constant CTD when try to aproach to the "Intellect Tent" in bootleg Bay.

After 5 CTD I made a quicksave/quickload and solved xD it'S MAGIC!!!!!!
MAGIC INDEED!
loboramdk wrote:So I already ran into a bug: https://imgur.com/a/rIBqsBu

Added to the Bug Tracker. But I think that issue might not be universal to everyone. Skip them for now. I hope it is not the fault of Jamesx's version!
Jamesx wrote:*Casts blame* Could you check it for me? He's got your folder. :hug:
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby loboramdk » 07 Jul 2019, 20:10

alekssandros wrote:
loboramdk wrote:

QuickSavesKey=116
QuickLoadKey=112

116 is F5
112 is F1
Thanks a bunch, now I know which file I need to modify, also key #

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby loboramdk » 07 Jul 2019, 20:12

Templayer wrote:
loboramdk wrote:Installed MM8 GOG, Greyface latest patch (unselecting all the boxes with MM678 merge conflicts), Greyface MMExtension and MMEditor extraction into game folder, MM678 merge build from this site extraction into game folder, in that order. English localization? Not entirely sure what you mean with localization. But the order in which I did things is the only one that did not end in a crash before loading the first screen, the start game screen.

Have downloaded the link you offered and will now test to see if that works :)

Edited: The link you provided works just as the description of this wonderful project build says it does! Thanks a million, I am going to be speding SO much time in this youth nostalgia remake :applause:

One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?
"Greyface MMExtension and MMEditor" are already a part of the Merge, using a different version than in the Merge and then replacing it with the Merge's version might have caused some "rogue files" (we had that problem here before...)

OF COURSE it is possible to disable POV mouse lock. Sheesh, thanks to GrayFace it is possible to do pretty much anything you want with the game! :D
Open up mm8.ini in notepad (or any plain text editor) and change anything you want there, there is quite a few options for GrayFace's patch.
The setting you are trying to change is I think MouseLook=1 (change it to MouseLook=0)

Also BE SURE to read the Tracker in my signature! It has a lot of additional information, additional modifications, useful info, tutorials,...
loboramdk wrote:So I already ran into a bug: https://imgur.com/a/rIBqsBu

Added to the Bug Tracker. But I think that issue might not be universal to everyone. Skip them for now. I hope it is not the fault of Jamesx's version!
Jamesx wrote:*Casts blame* Could you check it for me? He's got your folder. :hug:
Thank you so much for the additional information, and I will certainly leave those chests unopened, although the adventurer in me will have a much harder time turning its back on them :D

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 08 Jul 2019, 03:10

Chaos Conspiracy Redone (CCR) update: The models I made for it does work with the merge. I brought two of the models into the MM678merge without any trouble at all. The reason for that is because the texture palettes are the same for both games. On the last post about CCR, I said that I was almost done and I am. I just need to do two more maps. I should be finished by the end of the month. In addition to land changes, I made many changes to game play as well. You start with more gold, monster drop more gold and useful items, everyday travel from the stable and boats, and so on. This was done with GrayFace's editing tools. Click on the link to see new pics. Double click on image for bigger pic. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-76Yr ... A1jltJVLAx
David :)
Last edited by DaveHer on 08 Jul 2019, 03:23, edited 3 times in total.

Chokk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Chokk » 08 Jul 2019, 06:39

Finally I made my way to the Breach but I might experience a bug. I will try to avoid spoiler :
I can't answer properly the riddles. When I give the same answer to the same riddle, it can be sometimes right, and sometimes I'm kicked outside.
I tried a lot, noticed that the riddles giver change sometimes, but no way to go through this.
Someone can tell me at least if this is intended or not, and if I have to find something else before answering the riddles.
Note that my party is full.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 08 Jul 2019, 08:25

Maslyonok wrote:In the process of translation, I ran into one problem. In the recipe of a potion in English language such nonsense is written:
(archive EnglishT.lod, file scroll.txt, lines 763-768)

Essence of Might recipe Essence of Luck increases a character’s Might by 15, while subtracting 5 from his Intellect. This potion requires six reagents to mix, four of any one color supplemented by one from each of the remaining colors.

Instead of any other statistics everywhere is "Luck"

At the same time in the recipe of Essence of Luck it is written:
(archive EnglishT.lod, file scroll.txt, line 754)

Essence of Luck recipe Essence of Luck increases a character’s Luck by 15, while subtracting 2 from the other statistics. This potion requires six reagents to mix, four of any one color supplemented by one from each of the remaining colors.
:|
Although we know that the Essence of Luck reduces Accuracy by 5, not "2 from the other statistics".
What should I do?
Akhem. So, do I translate as is or edit this mess?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Jul 2019, 09:25

New video on paper doll transformation, a bit closer to a tutorial.

Emjayen wrote:
GrayFace wrote: Can't remember the numbers, but it can easily become the bottle neck on 4K+.
There's no reason for that to be the case. If that's what's being observed it's certainly a different cause (unless very old hardware is being targetted; most machines these days have main memory rates of GB's/s and/or very inefficient implementation)
SIMD x86 extended instructions exist for a reason :) Of course Delphi compiler is far to stupid to generate them. I reinvented the wheel and made my own resize procedure.
Emjayen wrote:
GrayFace wrote: WHAT??? Is that on Intel GPUs? I only tried on Nvidia, soon gonna try on AMD. It has to run at 60fps.
Hardware computational resources are irrelevant; if done correctly, you could throw the entire untransformed world of M&M games without even coarse culling --transferring all resources every frame with zero GPU-side caching-- at a hardware 3D pipeline within the past 10 years and it could process it in a few μs or so.

Where is this "60fps" measurement from? IHV-specific tools are required these days to profile GPU/graphics APIs accurately (e.g, for Nvidia: Nsight).
From the number of times interface is drawn per minute.
Templayer wrote:
justl wrote:Some kind of written explanation would be very nice for the graphically not so versatile people. thx
Go ask GrayFace then. I asked him for a text tutorial, he told me that the videos are going to be enough. You are the second guy (GDSpectra / SpectralDragon was the first one) saying it is in fact not.
I only said that I won't do a text version of the videos, I never said videos would be enough :)

What's CTD? I also encountered it with an old version. Never bothered to check with a newer one. The ErrorLog.txt is in the game folder (or in virtualized folder if the game is in Program Files). However, I'm sure it's the same bug.
loboramdk wrote:Installed MM8 GOG, Greyface latest patch (unselecting all the boxes with MM678 merge conflicts), Greyface MMExtension and MMEditor extraction into game folder, MM678 merge build from this site extraction into game folder, in that order.
Here's the right order: MM8, then MM678, then my patch.
loboramdk wrote:One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?
What's that?
alekssandros wrote:
loboramdk wrote:

QuickSavesKey=116
QuickLoadKey=112

116 is F5
112 is F1
The numbers can be taken from MM6Controls (under MM6Patch on my site's MM page).
Maslyonok wrote:Akhem. So, do I translate as is or edit this mess?
Editing should be the right call. Have you tested their descriptions in-game?
Last edited by GrayFace on 08 Jul 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

SpectralDragon
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby SpectralDragon » 08 Jul 2019, 09:28

GrayFace wrote: What's CTD?
As much as I know, it's "Crash To Desktop".
Yes?

Emjayen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Emjayen » 08 Jul 2019, 10:05

GrayFace wrote: SIMD x86 extended instructions exist for a reason :) Of course Delphi compiler is far to stupid to generate them. I reinvented the wheel and made my own resize procedure.
SIMD doesn't benefit workloads that are bound by memory throughput (the same reason say, multithreading doesn't benefit I/O-bound workloads)

That being said, I'm assuming you're basically just blitting the UI in software and not doing anything processor intensive (like complex blending/filtering) which may indeed be another story.

GrayFace wrote: From the number of times interface is drawn per minute.
What does that mean exactly? I suspect what's going on is you're measuring the number of times Present() (or flipping the primary surface) is being performed, which isn't accurate as you're just measuring how fast the driver thread can consume the command queue / synchronize the swapchain with DWM.
Last edited by Emjayen on 08 Jul 2019, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 08 Jul 2019, 12:10

GrayFace wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:Akhem. So, do I translate as is or edit this mess?
Editing should be the right call. Have you tested their descriptions in-game?
Not yet. What program should I use to add these items (recipes) to the character's inventory? I tried several character editors, but it didn’t work for me :wall:

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 08 Jul 2019, 13:26

alekssandros wrote:
-> Dragon's Eye: got it from the dragon in mire of damned

-> Vial of Devil Ichor: got it so many from Sweet Water devil's patrols

-> Philosopher's Stone: got it in change from circu's pyramids

Just need this -> Elvish Toadstool: I ill try with the circu's pyramids if not, I would go to elvish lands n_n
After changed 90 pyramids for get 2 Elvish Toadstool, I discovered that is not necessary those reagents to be alchemy GM... Well played, Rodril, well played

I wonder how many other surprises you have hidden from the newbies T_T

alekssandros
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby alekssandros » 08 Jul 2019, 13:50

GrayFace wrote:

What's CTD?
Yes, how SpectralDragon said, is Crash to Desktop. I`m suffering one almost every 2 days (after playing almost 20 hours)
GrayFace wrote: The numbers can be taken from MM6Controls (under MM6Patch on my site's MM page).
Is there a keycode for mouse middle button?

Here is the error log........ IS LONG......
https://mega.nz/#!3csmwSZb!dZktsuuSBqzS ... a7m0buhq-g
Last edited by alekssandros on 08 Jul 2019, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Jul 2019, 15:28

GrayFace wrote:
loboramdk wrote:One last question, is there a way to disable the POV-mouse-lock?
What's that?
Point of View. You do not watch enough p-orn. :D :D :D
Chokk wrote:Finally I made my way to the Breach but I might experience a bug. I will try to avoid spoiler :
I can't answer properly the riddles. When I give the same answer to the same riddle, it can be sometimes right, and sometimes I'm kicked outside.
I tried a lot, noticed that the riddles giver change sometimes, but no way to go through this.
Someone can tell me at least if this is intended or not, and if I have to find something else before answering the riddles.
Note that my party is full.
Added to the Bug Tracker.
loboramdk wrote: Thank you so much for the additional information, and I will certainly leave those chests unopened, although the adventurer in me will have a much harder time turning its back on them :D
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? Join the line. You can loot those chests later. After map respawn. Maybe :hug:
Maslyonok wrote: Not yet. What program should I use to add these items (recipes) to the character's inventory? I tried several character editors, but it didn’t work for me :wall:
It's said on the Tracker - a Cheat Engine was made specifically for the Merge! :wall:
DaveHer wrote:Chaos Conspiracy Redone (CCR) update: The models I made for it does work with the merge. I brought two of the models into the MM678merge without any trouble at all. The reason for that is because the texture palettes are the same for both games. On the last post about CCR, I said that I was almost done and I am. I just need to do two more maps. I should be finished by the end of the month. In addition to land changes, I made many changes to game play as well. You start with more gold, monster drop more gold and useful items, everyday travel from the stable and boats, and so on. This was done with GrayFace's editing tools. Click on the link to see new pics. Double click on image for bigger pic. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-76Yr ... A1jltJVLAx
David :)
Pictures added to the Tracker. Or in the process of.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

loboramdk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby loboramdk » 08 Jul 2019, 15:57

Templayer wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
What's that?
Point of View. You do not watch enough p-orn. :D :D :D
loboramdk wrote: Thank you so much for the additional information, and I will certainly leave those chests unopened, although the adventurer in me will have a much harder time turning its back on them :D
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? Join the line. You can loot those chests later. After map respawn. Maybe :hug:
Hello again, Just wanted to make something clear @Templayer, I can see you are most helpful and I get that answering all these sometimes quite mundane questions can leave you with a sense of irritation or just plainly bored, however making fun of people in here is not what this forum is for.
I get that a joke here and there might make your day a bit brighter, but for the people recieving it not so much, there is no telling how people react to your "jokes" so in order to not alienate or downright offend others, I would urge you to take it a bit easier on the first time posters and question askers like me, since I am pretty sure GrayFace has already gotten used to your "jokes".

Now onto the real reason I am writing in here again: Could the reason for the game crashing be that the loot in the chests isn't level appropriate?
Steelplate gloves and other higher leveled loot were in them, while my party was just begining the game (level around 5)
Also the chests in the Abandoned Temple are affected as well: https://imgur.com/a/knMGvZl

Noticed a "FixChests" option in the MM8.ini file, it is currently set to 1, but that seems to be right. Fix chests on, but has anyone else just tried to disable this option and see how the game handles that?
Last edited by loboramdk on 08 Jul 2019, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 08 Jul 2019, 16:41

Do you mean pressing the Caps-Lock key while using Mouse Look mode w/ GrayFace's patch? Pressing that button toggles it on and off.
loboramdk wrote:Noticed a "FixChests" option in the MM8.ini file, it is currently set to 1, but that seems to be right. Fix chests on, but has anyone else just tried to disable this option and see how the game handles that?
If you recall the Arcomage reward chest in Might and Magic 7 or even that special teleporter chest in Barrow Downs (I haven't really played MM8 that much which is why I'm using MM7 chests as an example), they're flooded with loot. If the FixChests option were off, you would only be able to loot what was shown when you open that chest. Re-opening it won't give you the other available loot. With the FixChests option on, you're now able to reopen chests and get other loot that wasn't shown before.
Last edited by Anubis on 08 Jul 2019, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”