Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 24.03.2019]

Unread postby DaveHer » 07 Apr 2019, 10:26

Rodril wrote:Hello, patch link have been updated. Game now use new approach to show weather effects, visualy nothing had changed, but bugs caused by it should disappear now. Fixed couple of minor bugs (marked on tracker). Thank you.
justl wrote:my actual question should have been ... why is there nothing else in the chests except this?
These items used in "Saving Goobers" quest given by Verdant, i'll check why other items are not present.
Belcanzor wrote:How can I add Echo mods into the merge?
You will need MMArchive and TxtEdit from GrayFace's site to apply new textures/sprites ( https://grayface.github.io/mm/#MMArchive ). Monstrosity modling will require reediting maps.
Belcanzor wrote:Is the game experience divided by 3? How is balanced? Can I do low level quest in 3 continents? I m reading all the post here but is taking too long.
You can freely move between continents, special NPC will explain how at some point.

About character editing, i think, most convenient way is to use debug console, use reference manual to get start: https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/ref/

@Xfing
You mentioned bolster issue with peasants (do you murder them often?), but what with other monsters, is it work well enough now?
I have made many, many changes to the original MM6-8 and created a quest for the merge with the tools mentioned above and tried, with those tools, to put Echo's mod into the merge. Did not work. One of the problems is the bitmaps have to have a matching pal file. The pal in echo's mod have the same name as the ones in the merge but belong to a different object. Causing funny looking Sprites. I have no idea how to correct that and Echo forgot how he did his mod. :(

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 07 Apr 2019, 10:45

Templayer wrote:Templayer's note: What about the Learning skill +60 not working correctly?
There was not specified problem with learning skill, i guess bug report was set before skill bonus limits have been removed.
Templayer wrote:Templayer's note: Maybe a solution would be instead of the shopkeeper telling you that the item is fine for him to tell the player something like "I cannot repair an item this awesome, unfortunately." How it works now (telling you that a broken item isn't broken even though it is) is something I consider a bug. Even if it is a vanilla one.
I'm not sure it should be considered as bug. I thought, shopkeepers should not be that straight minded to tell exact condition of item, if they can not understand what item is.
DaveHer wrote:I have made many, many changes to the original MM6-8 and created a quest for the merge with the tools mentioned above and tried, with those tools, to put Echo's mod into the merge. Did not work. One of the problems is the bitmaps have to have a matching pal file. The pal in echo's mod have the same name as the ones in the merge but belong to a different object. Causing funny looking Sprites. I have no idea how to correct that and Echo forgot how he did his mod. :(
You have to rename Echo's palettes, so they won't match with palettes of the merge, put them into bitmaps.lod, then put textures into bitmaps.lod and sprites into sprites.lod, then open "SFT.txt" from "...Data\Tables" folder and correct "palette id" column for each sprite you've changed.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 07 Apr 2019, 15:09

Rodril wrote:
Templayer wrote:Templayer's note: Maybe a solution would be instead of the shopkeeper telling you that the item is fine for him to tell the player something like "I cannot repair an item this awesome, unfortunately." How it works now (telling you that a broken item isn't broken even though it is) is something I consider a bug. Even if it is a vanilla one.
I'm not sure it should be considered as bug. I thought, shopkeepers should not be that straight minded to tell exact condition of item, if they can not understand what item is.
Yeah? But what you have just described is exactly what they do! They say the item is not broken! How do they know that it isn't broken, if "shopkeepers should not be that straight minded to tell exact condition of item, if they can not understand what item is"?

Alternative solution then: "This item is beyond my meager knowledge". There is actually a string like that used in the game already.

And it IS a bug. A shop keeper telling you an item isn't broken when it is? Yeah, tooootally intended! :tongue:
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

DaveHer
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby DaveHer » 07 Apr 2019, 15:54

Rodril wrote:
Templayer wrote:Templayer's note: What about the Learning skill +60 not working correctly?
There was not specified problem with learning skill, i guess bug report was set before skill bonus limits have been removed.
DaveHer wrote:I have made many, many changes to the original MM6-8 and created a quest for the merge with the tools mentioned above and tried, with those tools, to put Echo's mod into the merge. Did not work. One of the problems is the bitmaps have to have a matching pal file. The pal in echo's mod have the same name as the ones in the merge but belong to a different object. Causing funny looking Sprites. I have no idea how to correct that and Echo forgot how he did his mod. :(
You have to rename Echo's palettes, so they won't match with palettes of the merge, put them into bitmaps.lod, then put textures into bitmaps.lod and sprites into sprites.lod, then open "SFT.txt" from "...Data\Tables" folder and correct "palette id" column for each sprite you've changed.
I assume that the 3 digit number in the name of the palettes (pal712.act) is the id for the id numbers in the SFT.txt file. Is this correct? If I change the name of the palette pal712 to pal7120 do I need to change all of the 712 ids to 7120 in SFT.txt file? Any suggestions as to how to speed this up a little? Echo’s mod has 329 palettes. Thanks for your reply. :tsup:

Belcanzor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 06.04.2019]

Unread postby Belcanzor » 07 Apr 2019, 18:05

Thanks for your answers DaveHer and Templayer. Very complete.
I m impressed even more for the amount of work here.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Apr 2019, 01:27

Rodril wrote:
Didn't they say "this item is beyond my knowledge"? I remember they did so in MM7.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Apr 2019, 07:36

GrayFace wrote:
Rodril wrote:
Didn't they say "this item is beyond my knowledge"? I remember they did so in MM7.
As I have replied:
Templayer wrote:
Rodril wrote:
Yeah? But what you have just described is exactly what they do! They say the item is not broken! How do they know that it isn't broken, if "shopkeepers should not be that straight minded to tell exact condition of item, if they can not understand what item is"?

Alternative solution then: "This item is beyond my meager knowledge". There is actually a string like that used in the game already.

And it IS a bug. A shop keeper telling you an item isn't broken when it is? Yeah, tooootally intended! :tongue:

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 08 Apr 2019, 08:07

Bug from Vanilla MM7 found. I can't get the wetsuits needed to go to the Lincoln. I opened the chest prematurely in Celeste because I forgot about the bug from the vanilla version. Is there a way to add the wetsuits? I'm doing a second playthrough currently to see if they will spawn correctly.

Also I started my second playthrough in MM8, will that cause any problems? Running 3 dragons with a Dark Elf and a Priest of the Sun (I like feeling uber-powered :D). I've been searching through all the posts here, but there is literally over 100 pages to search.

One last note, I've really enjoyed the mod so far Rodril. I"ve already put in over 100 hours myself. Some of my favorite childhood games all in one game has been a dream come true. Plus the ability to change how and where I start has been fantastic. Do you have any more plans for this mod? Any new additions, new quest line? I have yet to actually finish all three of the games and reach the final end cause, again, I'm stuck with the wetsuits.

***EDIT*** After digging through even more posts, it looks like I'm using an old patch, I will update my game and see if I can get the wetsuits to populate. Umm, if someone has the item code to add the wetsuits that would be amazing though!!! (Not asking for cheats like that one kid)
Last edited by Roticet on 08 Apr 2019, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Apr 2019, 11:09

Roticet wrote:Bug from Vanilla MM7 found. I can't get the wetsuits needed to go to the Lincoln. I opened the chest prematurely in Celeste because I forgot about the bug from the vanilla version. Is there a way to add the wetsuits? I'm doing a second playthrough currently to see if they will spawn correctly.

Also I started my second playthrough in MM8, will that cause any problems? Running 3 dragons with a Dark Elf and a Priest of the Sun (I like feeling uber-powered :D). I've been searching through all the posts here, but there is literally over 100 pages to search.

One last note, I've really enjoyed the mod so far Rodril. I"ve already put in over 100 hours myself. Some of my favorite childhood games all in one game has been a dream come true. Plus the ability to change how and where I start has been fantastic. Do you have any more plans for this mod? Any new additions, new quest line? I have yet to actually finish all three of the games and reach the final end cause, again, I'm stuck with the wetsuits.
1. You can just spawn them with the console instead of playing the game again. I will add that to the bug tracker, though.

2. Why should that be a problem? I do not understand. By the way you can get an Character Creation Unlocker on the tracker to be able to have full freedom in choosing race and class on any continent. You can either jump the continents during your time on a continent, or finish one and then go to another. (with the same party, of course)

3. There is an additional questline with new locations, also people have suggested additional features and some of them have been implemented (racial skills and such) - check the Tracker.

Roticet
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Roticet » 08 Apr 2019, 13:15

Holy crap Templayer, thanks for quick response. And how does one actually use the command console in MMM? I've only really done that stuff for the Elder Scrolls games. Do I need to get the MM[editors] I keep seeing being mentioned?

For 2: I should have been more clear, what I meant was I was wondering if me starting on MM8 continent and going through all of MM8 first before traveling to MM7 would make a difference on the wet suits spawning. But again, could be an old patch I'm running, and worst case scenario I use that code to add the wet suits and complete the game.

***Note*** The wet suit bug, to be a little more specific for the notes sake at least, is that if you open the chests in Celeste (so this is for the light side specifically, I don't know if it works this way on the Dark side) before you get the quest to get the wet suits, it won't spawn the wet suits. I have even waited the full 2 year time frame for the respawn clock to hit and still never did it.
Last edited by Roticet on 08 Apr 2019, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 08 Apr 2019, 15:14

Roticet wrote:Holy crap Templayer, thanks for quick response. And how does one actually use the command console in MMM? I've only really done that stuff for the Elder Scrolls games. Do I need to get the MM[editors] I keep seeing being mentioned?

For 2: I should have been more clear, what I meant was I was wondering if me starting on MM8 continent and going through all of MM8 first before traveling to MM7 would make a difference on the wet suits spawning. But again, could be an old patch I'm running, and worst case scenario I use that code to add the wet suits and complete the game.

***Note*** The wet suit bug, to be a little more specific for the notes sake at least, is that if you open the chests in Celeste (so this is for the light side specifically, I don't know if it works this way on the Dark side) before you get the quest to get the wet suits, it won't spawn the wet suits. I have even waited the full 2 year time frame for the respawn clock to hit and still never did it.
If you have the Merge installed, then you have both the Extension and the Editor, since these are prerequisites for the Merge to work.

To open the console, just do CTRL+F1 when in-game. After you write down your command or code block, press Ctrl+Enter to execute the code in-game. Press ESC to return to the game (and see the changes).
For example - I made a for each loop that goes for each party member, giving each party member a GM skill for every skill in the game (I was testing armour repaints with that).

Here are the tutorials:
https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/ref/

I do not currently have the time to write down how to spawn wet suits, but it is no biggie for Rodril - it is pretty much a single line, but you have to know the index value of the wet suit, which I do not know. It is probably somewhere in some table or something like that.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 09 Apr 2019, 05:49

Roticet wrote:***EDIT*** After digging through even more posts, it looks like I'm using an old patch, I will update my game and see if I can get the wetsuits to populate. Umm, if someone has the item code to add the wetsuits that would be amazing though!!! (Not asking for cheats like that one kid)
Hello. I have not encountered this bug during my playthroughs, strange. Will check it, thanks.
To get wetsuits through console, do following:
1. Open debug console with ctrl+f1.
2. Type: evt[0].Add{"Inventory", 1406}
3. Press ctrl+enter to execute it.
As for plans, i don't like to speak about it, but maybe i'll add short questline in next month.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Apr 2019, 09:11

Rodril wrote:
Roticet wrote:***EDIT*** After digging through even more posts, it looks like I'm using an old patch, I will update my game and see if I can get the wetsuits to populate. Umm, if someone has the item code to add the wetsuits that would be amazing though!!! (Not asking for cheats like that one kid)
Hello. I have not encountered this bug during my playthroughs, strange. Will check it, thanks.
To get wetsuits through console, do following:
1. Open debug console with ctrl+f1.
2. Type: evt[0].Add{"Inventory", 1406}
3. Press ctrl+enter to execute it.
As for plans, i don't like to speak about it, but maybe i'll add short questline in next month.
B̷y̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷w̷a̷y̷,̷ ̷w̷h̷e̷r̷e̷ ̷a̷r̷e̷ ̷w̷e̷ ̷s̷u̷p̷p̷o̷s̷e̷d̷ ̷t̷o̷ ̷f̷i̷n̷d̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷t̷a̷b̷l̷e̷ ̷w̷i̷t̷h̷ ̷i̷t̷e̷m̷ ̷i̷n̷d̷e̷x̷e̷s̷?̷ ̷I̷'̷v̷e̷ ̷c̷h̷e̷c̷k̷e̷d̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷s̷c̷r̷i̷p̷t̷ ̷f̷o̷l̷d̷e̷r̷s̷ ̷a̷n̷d̷ ̷c̷o̷u̷l̷d̷n̷'̷t̷ ̷f̷i̷n̷d̷ ̷i̷t̷ ̷(̷I̷ ̷d̷i̷d̷ ̷j̷u̷s̷t̷ ̷t̷a̷k̷e̷ ̷a̷ ̷b̷r̷i̷e̷f̷ ̷l̷o̷o̷k̷,̷ ̷h̷o̷w̷e̷v̷e̷r̷)̷.̷
̷B̷e̷c̷a̷u̷s̷e̷ ̷w̷h̷e̷n̷ ̷s̷o̷m̷e̷o̷n̷e̷ ̷a̷s̷k̷s̷,̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷s̷ ̷i̷s̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷m̷a̷i̷n̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷p̷r̷e̷v̷e̷n̷t̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷m̷e̷ ̷f̷r̷o̷m̷ ̷h̷e̷l̷p̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷m̷ ̷r̷i̷g̷h̷t̷ ̷a̷w̷a̷y̷.̷
̷
̷U̷n̷l̷e̷s̷s̷ ̷I̷ ̷h̷a̷v̷e̷ ̷o̷v̷e̷r̷l̷o̷o̷k̷e̷d̷ ̷s̷o̷m̷e̷t̷h̷i̷n̷g̷,̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷n̷ ̷i̷t̷ ̷w̷o̷u̷l̷d̷ ̷b̷e̷ ̷n̷i̷c̷e̷ ̷i̷f̷ ̷a̷m̷o̷n̷g̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷f̷i̷l̷e̷s̷ ̷g̷e̷n̷e̷r̷a̷t̷e̷d̷ ̷w̷h̷e̷n̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷g̷a̷m̷e̷ ̷i̷s̷ ̷f̷i̷r̷s̷t̷ ̷r̷u̷n̷ ̷a̷ ̷f̷i̷l̷e̷ ̷w̷i̷t̷h̷ ̷a̷l̷l̷ ̷s̷u̷c̷h̷ ̷i̷n̷d̷e̷x̷e̷s̷ ̷w̷o̷u̷l̷d̷ ̷b̷e̷ ̷g̷e̷n̷e̷r̷a̷t̷e̷d̷.̷ ̷I̷t̷e̷m̷ ̷i̷n̷d̷e̷x̷e̷s̷,̷ ̷s̷k̷i̷l̷l̷s̷ ̷(̷i̷f̷ ̷t̷h̷o̷s̷e̷ ̷h̷a̷v̷e̷ ̷i̷n̷d̷e̷x̷e̷s̷)̷,̷ ̷r̷a̷c̷e̷s̷,̷ ̷.̷.̷.̷ ̷t̷o̷g̷e̷t̷h̷e̷r̷ ̷w̷i̷t̷h̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷i̷r̷ ̷n̷a̷m̷e̷ ̷s̷t̷r̷i̷n̷g̷s̷,̷ ̷s̷o̷ ̷t̷h̷a̷t̷ ̷w̷e̷ ̷w̷o̷u̷l̷d̷ ̷h̷a̷v̷e̷ ̷a̷ ̷l̷i̷s̷t̷ ̷w̷h̷e̷r̷e̷ ̷a̷t̷ ̷i̷n̷d̷e̷x̷ ̷1̷4̷0̷6̷ ̷f̷o̷r̷ ̷i̷t̷e̷m̷s̷ ̷w̷o̷u̷l̷d̷ ̷b̷e̷ ̷W̷e̷t̷ ̷S̷u̷i̷t̷.̷ ̷S̷o̷m̷e̷t̷h̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷l̷i̷k̷e̷ ̷I̷n̷d̷e̷x̷L̷i̷s̷t̷.̷t̷x̷t̷ ̷f̷o̷r̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷i̷n̷d̷e̷x̷e̷s̷.̷

EDIT: Nevermind, it's in ObjList.txt ! I'm blind! Well, next time I will be able to help with item spawning right away instead of delegating to Rodril!

EDIT2: Wait, no, it isn't, first glimpse technique has failed me! Where the heck is the list of all items with all indexes? :wall: :-D :D

And perhaps an DebugVariablesLog.log file for the variables (quest variables, map variables), which would be generated when a specific function is called and would output all the quest and map-specific variables into that log file, for easier debugging. Or something like that would be nice. You know, in case you ever get ran over by a car. :D
Last edited by Templayer on 09 Apr 2019, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.

Ronin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ronin » 09 Apr 2019, 12:37

Hello to all!

Dragon Tower doesn’t work in Free Haven region in MM6.
All other towers work fine.
Is this a bug?

Thanks!

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 09 Apr 2019, 12:48

Jesse Noland is working on an replacement for MM8CHE!

Also he suggested it in the tracker, but he put it into the Tutorials section, so I had to move it to the Optional Modifications section.

Here it is:
Cheat Engine / Character Editor (replacement for MM8CHE)
Cheat Engine Table: Being worked on by Jesse Noland (Jessen). Currently has most of the features you would find in the mm8che editor, with a few additional features, but is not fully de-bugged yet. It can also be used to put objects in the ‘mouse’ to place in inventory, or onto characters. If there were any other features to look for, please mention them. These may be cheats, but they can also be more refined testing tools too.

Also I have finally finished the Racial Skills modification that replaces Racial Classes.
So that if for example you now have a Vampire Cleric, you will get up to GM in Vampire Abilities in addition to Clerical skills. And regen, and meditation.
The racial classes were not removed, just rendered useless. Also please BE SURE to read the README file if you are going to use them!

From the Tracker:
Direct Download:
http://www.templayer.cz/storage/MMMerge ... player).7z
Ulož.to download:
https://www.ulozto.net/!t4jThOwAss7e/mm ... mplayer-7z

Ronin wrote:Hello to all!

Dragon Tower doesn’t work in Free Haven region in MM6.
All other towers work fine.
Is this a bug?

Thanks!
Probably. Added to the Bug Tracker.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 09 Apr 2019, 15:40

Rodril wrote:Hello, patch link have been updated. Game now use new approach to show weather effects, visualy nothing had changed, but bugs caused by it should disappear now. Fixed couple of minor bugs (marked on tracker). Thank you.
justl wrote:my actual question should have been ... why is there nothing else in the chests except this?
These items used in "Saving Goobers" quest given by Verdant, i'll check why other items are not present.
hi,
is there a list/amount of what is needed to savekeep for "saving the goobers" somewhere?
i dont wanna spam my inventory full with things needed much later :)
if someone knows, pls pm me

thx,
justl
Last edited by justl on 09 Apr 2019, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 10 Apr 2019, 05:27

Templayer wrote:Where the heck is the list of all items with all indexes?
In ITEMS.txt from EnglishT.lod, you can open it with GrayFace's MMArchive. Same with other variables, most of them in text files there.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 10 Apr 2019, 15:51

Cheat Engine / Character Editor (replacement for MM8CHE)
By: Jesse Noland
Cheat Engine Table: Being worked on by Jesse Noland (Jessen). Currently has most of the features you would find in the mm8che editor, with a few additional features, but is not fully de-bugged yet. It can also be used to put objects in the ‘mouse’ to place in inventory, or onto characters. If there were any other features to look for, please mention them. These may be cheats, but they can also be more refined testing tools too.

Here's a link, there is a download link in this topic:
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9058

Some Hotkeys of note:
Control + W: Will turn on all the utility group spells such as Wizard Eye, Fly, Torch Light ect.
Control + Q: Will render your invisible with the Invisibility spell
These two will crash if your first party member is dead or unconscious so bear that in mind.
Control + A: Win the match of Arcomage you’re playing.
The rest is pretty self explanatory. The item in mouse option.controls what kind of item is in the mouse when you’re holding it there. Same with potions only a smaller amount of data to use to determine strength.
Rodril wrote:
Templayer wrote:Where the heck is the list of all items with all indexes?
In ITEMS.txt from EnglishT.lod, you can open it with GrayFace's MMArchive. Same with other variables, most of them in text files there.
Thanks. Crud.
I'm running multiple PCs with shared infrastructure, so opening a file is easy, but this way I would have to get MMArchive on each PC / system.
Or I can just extract it and hope it won't ever change again. :D :D :D
Last edited by Templayer on 10 Apr 2019, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jessen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jessen » 11 Apr 2019, 02:58

Templayer wrote:Cheat Engine / Character Editor (replacement for MM8CHE)
By: Jesse Noland
Hope this helps you guys out. You don't even have to technically save a game and open the save itself to use any of this, and you can just directly test items. Good for debugging and such.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 11 Apr 2019, 07:16

Hi Guys, I have played the merge mod in the early stages of development and loved it. Thank you rodril for your absolutely amazing work.
I just wanted to propose a small idea for immersion in might and magic. If you get the blaster pistols and they gonna break, you can simply go to any weapon shop and repair them.... So that means any smith is able to repair extraterrestrial high tech weapons...???? If your charakters are able to repair these weapons on an advanced item repair levels it's okay. They were teached to handle those weapons and are able to fix them, but no smith should be able to do it. I would suggest that repairing of blaster weapons in a shop should be only possible in celeste or the pit. But thats just my own opinion, maybe someone will agree.
Last edited by equs on 11 Apr 2019, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”