Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Calenmir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 24.03.2019]

Unread postby Calenmir » 24 Mar 2019, 20:13

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this.

I'm really enjoying playing Might and Magic 6 but just realized that my casters (High Priest and Master Wizard) cannot learn GM Dark and Light. Made a quick search in the thread and saw that it can be changed by editing Class Skills.txt. I edited the file as you guys have mentioned but I cannot see the changes on the game unfortunately. Is there any other thing I need to do? Or do I need to start a new game again to see the changes?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 25 Mar 2019, 02:16

Calenmir wrote:Thank you so much for all the work you put into this.

I'm really enjoying playing Might and Magic 6 but just realized that my casters (High Priest and Master Wizard) cannot learn GM Dark and Light. Made a quick search in the thread and saw that it can be changed by editing Class Skills.txt. I edited the file as you guys have mentioned but I cannot see the changes on the game unfortunately. Is there any other thing I need to do? Or do I need to start a new game again to see the changes?
You need to put a Capital "G" on all the skills you want to train to GM. When you go to a trainer he/she will train you to GM. Did you use the Class Skills in Tables folder?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Mar 2019, 09:16

Calenmir wrote:Thank you so much for all the work you put into this.

Bit OP if you ask me, but yeah, you can do it if you want to :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 25 Mar 2019, 16:50

Xfing wrote:Damn, I got so fixated on the alternative inventory grid colors independent of complete interfaces that I probably won't be happy unless we have them :D
*They get added*
Xfing wrote:I think I'll actually turn off the selectable inventory grids now, they're not really that needed since we can now have continent-dependent interfaces. I'm assuming the Light/Dark interfaces are just a matter of time at this point too? :D
:baby:
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Calenmir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Calenmir » 25 Mar 2019, 17:00

DaveHer wrote: You need to put a Capital "G" on all the skills you want to train to GM. When you go to a trainer he/she will train you to GM. Did you use the Class Skills in Tables folder?
I have done that exactly entered capital G instead of M on Dark and Light skills. Still Dark magic trainer says you cannot learn that level of skill.
Xfing wrote:Bit OP if you ask me, but yeah, you can do it if you want to :D
Original Might and Magic 6 allowed Wizards and Priests to do that actually. That's why I always use two casters, If I knew this I would've picked other classes probably.

Calenmir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Calenmir » 25 Mar 2019, 17:11

Calenmir wrote:
DaveHer wrote: You need to put a Capital "G" on all the skills you want to train to GM. When you go to a trainer he/she will train you to GM. Did you use the Class Skills in Tables folder?
I have done that exactly entered capital G instead of M on Dark and Light skills. Still Dark magic trainer says you cannot learn that level of skill.
Original Might and Magic 6 allowed Wizards and Priests to do that actually. That's why I always use two casters, If I knew this I would've picked other classes probably.
Ok just realized my mistake. It seems I changed the file in the folder I originally extracted mod files. Did the change on the actual data folder and It worked. Thanks for questioning me DaveHer, thats how I took a better look :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Mar 2019, 18:49

Templayer wrote:
Xfing wrote:Damn, I got so fixated on the alternative inventory grid colors independent of complete interfaces that I probably won't be happy unless we have them :D
*They get added*
Xfing wrote:I think I'll actually turn off the selectable inventory grids now, they're not really that needed since we can now have continent-dependent interfaces. I'm assuming the Light/Dark interfaces are just a matter of time at this point too? :D
:baby:
That's called live-proofing >_>

Some ideas look better on paper than when tested. What's so surprising?
Last edited by Xfing on 25 Mar 2019, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 25 Mar 2019, 20:16

Calenmir wrote:
Actually no, original Might and Magic 6 allowed wizards and priests to go only to master, because grandmaster doesn't exist in vanilla MM6.
I'm going to make the very same change as you did for my playthrough, though.
Last edited by Templayer on 25 Mar 2019, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 25 Mar 2019, 21:41

Calenmir wrote:
Calenmir wrote:
Ok just realized my mistake. It seems I changed the file in the folder I originally extracted mod files. Did the change on the actual data folder and It worked. Thanks for questioning me DaveHer, thats how I took a better look :D
Glad to have been of help. :yes:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 26 Mar 2019, 06:37

A person called "Andrew Ohana" suggested for one section of the repaints to be renamed from "Troll Paperdoll" to "Trolls Paperdoll".
I refused that, because of obvious reasons, as it would be incorrect as far as English goes.

Also that suggestion was made for the index of contents at the start of the Tracker. Please do not modify things there, as the index of contents is automatically generated.
Last edited by Templayer on 26 Mar 2019, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jessen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jessen » 26 Mar 2019, 08:56

Glad to see at least one of the issues I brought up (Castle Harmondale entrance image thing) got a good fix. There 'is' another, though I think it might be harder to deal with. If you have a certain number of weapon and magic skills, theres a point where some magic skills get pushed off the screen in favor of the weapon skills.

Part of me has also been tempted to maybe try and organize something for a djinn race (because i don't know why they didn't at the time, since djinns such as genies and efreets were part of the heroes games), but i'm not really artistic so i wouldn't really be able to do the art.
Last edited by Jessen on 26 Mar 2019, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 26 Mar 2019, 16:25

Jessen wrote:Glad to see at least one of the issues I brought up (Castle Harmondale entrance image thing) got a good fix. There 'is' another, though I think it might be harder to deal with. If you have a certain number of weapon and magic skills, theres a point where some magic skills get pushed off the screen in favor of the weapon skills.

Part of me has also been tempted to maybe try and organize something for a djinn race (because i don't know why they didn't at the time, since djinns such as genies and efreets were part of the heroes games), but i'm not really artistic so i wouldn't really be able to do the art.
For which race/class combo does that occur?

I mean it happened to me too, however that was due to me cheating all the skills for each character in order to test the equipment sprites on paperdolls....

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 26 Mar 2019, 19:55

Hi,
maybe something could be taken into consideration for Bug section.

In the frozen highland@mm6 the game tends to crash when the following circumstances are active:
- "End the Winter" quest is not completed (it should be snowing all time)
- "Show weather effects" in the Controls is active
This could lead to a situation where it should be snowing, but it is either raining or not snowing/raining ("clear sky").
The game then goes like "MM6 has encountered an internal error and must close. An auto save will take place."
I think the error message is like the one in this picture some pages into this forum:

Well ... autosave won't take place, and you will lose progress.
Either the weather effects from the controls are disabled in this map, until the quest is complete - or (simpler way, but still buggy) you turn it of manually.

thx
justl
Last edited by justl on 26 Mar 2019, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 26 Mar 2019, 20:51

I asked this question four pages ago. How do you go to the Breach? I have the rod from V. I must have missed something. Are there clues?

Jessen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jessen » 26 Mar 2019, 20:59

Templayer wrote:For which race/class combo does that occur?

I mean it happened to me too, however that was due to me cheating all the skills for each character in order to test the equipment sprites on paperdolls....
it doesn't really happen to any natural race/class combo, but its kind of a problem in itself still, because any race/class that has a bunch of weapon skills and a bunch of magic skills will have the chance of those magic skills being off the screen. And I like to give most of my characters magic skills with most weapon skills i like, so it tends to shove them off the screen. Like if you get a race that does have a bit of all magic, and the class is like, sorcerer, you'd be risking not being able to pump skill points into those skills.
Last edited by Jessen on 26 Mar 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Jessen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jessen » 27 Mar 2019, 03:32

Jessen wrote:
Templayer wrote:For which race/class combo does that occur?

it doesn't really happen to any natural race/class combo, but its kind of a problem in itself still, because any race/class that has a bunch of weapon skills and a bunch of magic skills will have the chance of those magic skills being off the screen. And I like to give most of my characters magic skills with most weapon skills i like, so it tends to shove them off the screen. Like if you get a race that does have a bit of all magic, and the class is like, sorcerer, you'd be risking not being able to pump skill points into those skills.

It does sort of limit just how much freedom we can get in setting up stats for specific races and classes. If I were actually going to try and make genie and efreet races/classes i'd have to try and keep them 'under' a certain number of weapons.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 27 Mar 2019, 12:04

DaveHer wrote:I asked this question four pages ago. How do you go to the Breach? I have the rod from V. I must have missed something. Are there clues?
Verdant should have tell you to cast town portal on the ruins of Escaton's Crystal.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 27 Mar 2019, 17:29

justl wrote:Hi,

In the frozen highland@mm6 the game tends to crash when the following circumstances are active:
This could lead to a situation where it should be snowing, but it is either raining or not snowing/raining ("clear sky").
The game then goes like "MM6 has encountered an internal error and must close. An auto save will take place."
I think the error message is like the one in this picture some pages into this forum:

Either the weather effects from the controls are disabled in this map, until the quest is complete - or (simpler way, but still buggy) you turn it of manually.

thx
justl
Added to the Bug Tracker.

Also added the skill list overflow to the Bug Tracker.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 27 Mar 2019, 22:22

Rodril wrote:
DaveHer wrote:I asked this question four pages ago. How do you go to the Breach? I have the rod from V. I must have missed something. Are there clues?
Verdant should have tell you to cast town portal on the ruins of Escaton's Crystal.
Thanks. It's my fault. There was a lot of dialogue (from Verdant) and a lot of it seemed to be uninformative. So I just read through it quickly. :)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 28 Mar 2019, 06:08

justl wrote:Hi,

thx
justl
self reply:
even when i have put the option weather effects out manually, the snow stops falling about after being 5 minutes in that map and i still get that error message then
please rate that bug from medium to high
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Return to “Might and Magic”