Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 16.03.2019]

Unread postby Rodril » 20 Mar 2019, 18:37

Kaikhorus wrote:I've been having some trouble getting into Stone City. After loading the map it gives a view down the hall then crashes when any input is given. I downloaded the main files a month ago and was patching them up when I hit the issue a week or so back (don't have that save anymore). I saw there was a new script to try and that hasn't done it for me either, so I downloaded everything from scratch today (from MEGA) and got to that point with a M&M6 group and still have the crash. Here is my save: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6yk4jrv ... e.zip/file
I can not reproduce this issue for now, tried it on win 10 and two different configurations of win 7. Have tried compatibility modes? Also try to install latest MMPatch, tell me if anything will help.
Vinevi wrote:By the way that UI preset from 7 (Game.LoadUI(2)) has altered positions for UI elements while there's no explanation on how it works, would really like to know more about that.
There's file "Additional UI.txt" in "...Data\Tables" folder, it describe properties of each new UI, new lines can be added, it allows to alter positions of selring and hostile indicator. All coordinates for UI elemnts are hardcoded i don't see convenient way to alter them for now, same with transparency: engine uses two different methods for displaying icon with/without transparent background, it is not just flag in icon's settings.
Last edited by Rodril on 20 Mar 2019, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Trollet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trollet » 20 Mar 2019, 19:13

It may or may not have been reported before. Anyway here it is:
I have not set foot in Jadame yet but I have got a shield called "Eclipse". It has value 0 and is marked as a Quest Item. Not sure how I got it (random loot or from a chest). I am sure I got in the MM7 part of the game anyway...

Martin

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 21 Mar 2019, 05:43

Trollet wrote:It may or may not have been reported before. Anyway here it is:
I have not set foot in Jadame yet but I have got a shield called "Eclipse". It has value 0 and is marked as a Quest Item. Not sure how I got it (random loot or from a chest). I am sure I got in the MM7 part of the game anyway...

Martin
Sounds like an original game bug, Eclipse was part of the randomly placed relic pool in addition to its static spawn in the Necromancer's Guild. Pretty weird, considering there was no such problem with the prize for Arcomage Championship or the Vault of Time uniques. But yeah, you probably do realize by now that in the merge the uniques are not separated by continent.

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 21 Mar 2019, 18:00

I keep seeing MM6 style UI, any chance the files to it can be added to the first page or is it not officially released yet?

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 21 Mar 2019, 19:18

Jaojin wrote:Got a few bug fixes for you
1. The texture for the 'temple door', specifically in Emerald Isle, seems to be off-center... as if the doors were flipped (L and R) causing the unseen grey border of the texture to be the center.
2. Serendine's Preservation (MM8 Artifact Leather Armor) is listed as type: Leather Armor, rather than type: Artifact (most notable when looting it).
3. Ullyses (MM7 Artifact Bow) does not use the ice bolt animation for it's projectiles as it originally did in MM7.
4. Hobgoblin Guards in Northwest Moulder/Deyja hostile again. I believe that Greyface's patch fixed that issue, something else broke?

Questionable
5. Ghost ring has some interesting effects not in the original game and not listed anywhere I can find. It provides twice the effect "of Spirit Magic" (meaning it doubles your spirit magic rather than giving you a 50% bonus) and it provides constant Preservation (which feels like it is intended). Not a bad change (especially the preservation effect) but the double spirit magic may be a touch too much.

Love the mod! It has been a breath of fresh air. Keep up the fantastic work!
Phobos wrote:That's the case for all MM8 artifacts and relics. They are categorised according to their item class in the original MM8 and it wasn't changed for the merge. Perhaps it should be changed for the sake of cohesion?
1-4 added to the Bug Tracker. 5 has been discussed here before.
Trollet wrote:It may or may not have been reported before. Anyway here it is:

Martin
Xfing wrote: Sounds like an original game bug, Eclipse was part of the randomly placed relic pool in addition to its static spawn in the Necromancer's Guild. Pretty weird, considering there was no such problem with the prize for Arcomage Championship or the Vault of Time uniques. But yeah, you probably do realize by now that in the merge the uniques are not separated by continent.
Even vanilla bugs should be fixed, especially since this is a quest item! Added to the Bug Tracker.

@NewPeople - Welcome all new Merge fans! You are way too many for me to be welcoming you individually! :applause: :tongue: :hug:
Last edited by Templayer on 21 Mar 2019, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Kaikhorus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaikhorus » 22 Mar 2019, 09:53

Rodril wrote: I can not reproduce this issue for now, tried it on win 10 and two different configurations of win 7. Have tried compatibility modes? Also try to install latest MMPatch, tell me if anything will help.
Yes, I've tried changing compatibility modes and the new patch. It's really strange, a few places have been crashing on and off for that save now. I installed the mod on my laptop today (Windows 10, Intel i8250U, running on the intel GPU) and ran the same save file and no crashes in any places I tried, including stone city. I think my desktop (Windows 10, Ryzen 1600 with a 980ti) PC might just be not happy with M&M at the moment, I might even try a normal M&M 7/8 run at some point and see what happens.
DaveHer wrote: The dgVoodoo does not work unless you launch the game with the setup that comes with MM8.
Definitely had it running correctly, never would have thought I'd see M&M running at 3840x2160 :)
Last edited by Kaikhorus on 22 Mar 2019, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 22 Mar 2019, 10:46

Kaikhorus wrote:
Rodril wrote: I can not reproduce this issue for now, tried it on win 10 and two different configurations of win 7. Have tried compatibility modes? Also try to install latest MMPatch, tell me if anything will help.
Yes, I've tried changing compatibility modes and the new patch. It's really strange, a few places have been crashing on and off for that save now. I installed the mod on my laptop today (Windows 10, Intel i8250U, running on the intel GPU) and ran the same save file and no crashes in any places I tried, including stone city. I think my desktop (Windows 10, Ryzen 1600 with a 980ti) PC might just be not happy with M&M at the moment, I might even try a normal M&M 7/8 run at some point and see what happens.
DaveHer wrote: The dgVoodoo does not work unless you launch the game with the setup that comes with MM8.
Definitely had it running correctly, never would have thought I'd see M&M running at 3840x2160 :)
Like I said before I had the same problem (crashing when going into some of the places) but when I started using dgVoodoo that fixed ever thing. At the dgVoodoo web site they have some recommended settings for dgVoodoo which I use. That might help.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 22 Mar 2019, 15:47

Installed the new update and got this error:
c:\Games\mm678\Scripts\Structs\RemoveItemsLimits.lua:1643: Wrong item index (1406 in 'Armors' at 37) in 'Complex item pictures.txt'.
(Last time I updated the Merge was on September 22)
[edit] Solved: I had old items.txt in DataFiles.
Last edited by GrayFace on 22 Mar 2019, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 22 Mar 2019, 17:04

GrayFace wrote:Installed the new update and got this error:
c:\Games\mm678\Scripts\Structs\RemoveItemsLimits.lua:1643: Wrong item index (1406 in 'Armors' at 37) in 'Complex item pictures.txt'.
Sounds like what I had. A complete reinstall did the trick for me.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Mar 2019, 17:43

GrayFace wrote:Installed the new update and got this error:
Did you use the zip packaged by Rodril, or did you let DropBox generate a zip file?

As Rodril has tested, for some people when DropBox generates the zip file, it modifies the files that it can open as a text (a non-lossy compression), breaking scripts. We tried using various extractors (default Windows zip file implementation included), and the file checked was different from the source each time. Quite the bullcrap.

The weird thing is that it happens only for some people (dropbox generating a faulty zip file), there were 4 people, me included.

Anyway, the solution is to download the full Merge in a zip packaged by Rodril himself. No issue there. :)
Kaikhorus wrote:
Did you check Windows' event viewer for details of the crash? You could copy paste those here in a code block, GrayFace has essentially reverse engineered the game at this point, so even memory offsets at which the fault occurred could be useful to him!

Also Nvidia and AMD's drivers can for example force games to use a higher anti-aliasing and such, check your settings that you are using "let the application decide" and such, because for such an old game, that could cause issues.

I presume this is always a hard crash, so no debug console pops out to tell you what has happened.

Also does it happen in Windowed?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 22 Mar 2019, 19:46

Oops. Had items.txt in DataFiles for some reason.
Templayer wrote:As Rodril has tested, for some people when DropBox generates the zip file, it modifies the files that it can open as a text (a non-lossy compression), breaking scripts. We tried using various extractors (default Windows zip file implementation included), and the file checked was different from the source each time. Quite the bullcrap.

The weird thing is that it happens only for some people (dropbox generating a faulty zip file), there were 4 people, me included.
Changes line endings I guess? That must be why Rodril now distributes the Merge in an archive.
Are you on Linux/Mac?
Templayer wrote: I presume this is always a hard crash, so no debug console pops out to tell you what has happened.
ErrorLog.txt in game folder in this case.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 22 Mar 2019, 20:54

Testing!

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Mar 2019, 21:37

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:As Rodril has tested, for some people when DropBox generates the zip file, it modifies the files that it can open as a text (a non-lossy compression), breaking scripts. We tried using various extractors (default Windows zip file implementation included), and the file checked was different from the source each time. Quite the bullcrap.

Changes line endings I guess? That must be why Rodril now distributes the Merge in an archive.
Are you on Linux/Mac?
Yeap, line endings were screwed up if I remember correctly! Wait, maybe not, cannot remember.

And nope, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

My first guess was the browser, since I am in a minority on that ( Firefox! ), but a guy with Chrome had the same problem, and I've tried Slimjet to no avail, so... I have no idea why DopeBox screws with some of us like this.

By the way, what are your plans for a Mac version? (the Merge is fully playable on Linux, there is a tutorial on the tracker for that)
We should get this thing to as many people as we can! :)
Actually I wondered how to get the Merge project to people that would want to play it, but do not know about it, most people are using your patches nowadays... perhaps you could advertise projects such as the Merge at your website once they become fully playable? We are not going to pay you, of course, because we are goits! :P
But we do love you and all the work you have done for us. :hug:

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 22 Mar 2019, 21:41

Vinevi wrote:Image
Testing!
Please keep the square design! It was great! Make circles an option! :P

Mozaki
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mozaki » 23 Mar 2019, 03:48

Templayer wrote:
Templayer wrote: By the way, what are your plans for a Mac version? (the Merge is fully playable on Linux, there is a tutorial on the tracker for that)
We should get this thing to as many people as we can! :)
Actually I wondered how to get the Merge project to people that would want to play it, but do not know about it, most people are using your patches nowadays... perhaps you could advertise projects such as the Merge at your website once they become fully playable? We are not going to pay you, of course, because we are goits! :P
But we do love you and all the work you have done for us. :hug:
It's true that we love you Grayface!! :-D :tsup: :hug:

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Mar 2019, 04:06

I like circles much more. Speaking of love, what I'm doing now will remove limitations for MM6 and MM7 interfaces. As a byproduct :)
Templayer wrote: By the way, what are your plans for a Mac version? (the Merge is fully playable on Linux, there is a tutorial on the tracker for that)
Wine is multi-platform. I guess things should be fine on Mac.
Templayer wrote:perhaps you could advertise projects such as the Merge at your website once they become fully playable? We are not going to pay you, of course, because we are goits! :P
Been doing it: https://grayface.github.io/mm/#Links
Last edited by GrayFace on 23 Mar 2019, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 23 Mar 2019, 18:03

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:perhaps you could advertise projects such as the Merge at your website once they become fully playable? We are not going to pay you, of course, because we are goits! :P
Been doing it: https://grayface.github.io/mm/#Links
Rock on! :applause: :tsup:

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 24.03.2019]

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Mar 2019, 12:11

Hello, patch link have been updated.
MMPatch 2.2 now included in game files; game interface now can be switched via video controls menu; few minor bugs (marked on tracker).
Last edited by Rodril on 24 Mar 2019, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 24 Mar 2019, 12:52

Rodril has fixed these bugs and they were removed from the Bug Tracker:

Code: Select all

reported by: Yaknchuk » Oct 18 2018, 14:38
Cauldrons in Enroth Temple of Baa in Castle Ironfist sometimes fail to give the +2 bonus to resistance and all cauldrons that give resistance to fire seem to fail in giving the +2 bonus.

Reported by: Anerag » Mar 3 2019, 11:10 when using the february 19th version
Hireling walking around - I once found a peasent which had the same portrait, name and profession as one of my hirelings. Interestingly enough, instead of being able to hire said peasent, I was given the option to dismiss them. Doing so would make the hireling disappear from the party.

Reported by: Piottor » Mar 8 2019, 2:03
Probably a bug: Every single chest inside of Castle Kriegspiere contained atleast one or more of special items, relic or artifact. There was Staff of Elements, Ethrics Staff, Elfbane (I doubt this should be in random loot at all as its Acromage MM7 reward), Harecks Leather, Staff of the Swamp, Berserkers Belt and more...around 10 "special" items were found in chests inside of this dungeon. Even if this easily could be featured as some sort of "reward" for one of endgame dungeons, I highly doubt so many special items should be included in one dungeon, on top of that as easy as Kriegspiere.
Templayer: I found basically nothing of value in those chests in vanilla MM6, I played through Kriegspire's Castle yesterday. So that is definitely a bug.

Reported by: Piottor » Mar 9 2019, 17:00
Mentioning Snergle, his axe (that you get as a special reward from quest that cannot be sold) doesnt fit the paper dolls, I used it today as "backup" weapon when my High Priests weapon got damaged and poor Champion that has repair was dead…

Reported by: Jesse Noland » Mar 13 2019, 15:06 PDT
-    Castle Harmondale’s entrance image when you’re just entering it after winning doesn’t show the dilapidated version, it immediatly shows the version that plays when it’s ‘fixed.’

Reported by: Piottor » Mar 13 2019, 21:42
- Other thing was that dragon on Emerald Isle didnt have loot aside from gold...I remember spending countless minutes at start of every MM7 gameplay getting an artifact or relic from this dragon via save/load...sometimes even two (we all know the loot body glitch :) )
- In castle Harmondale I got so much loot from goblins (random armors, weapons, amulets and rings) , rats (rings) and bats (rings) that it aint even funny...check out the images provided in a link ( https://imgur.com/a/yc0rUWh ), all these items you see on the images are looted from corpses and trash heaps only, no items except for alchemy reagents and gold were looted from castle chests...I think this should get adressed as it gives extreme advantage when your starting continent is Antagarich :)
Edit: Im sorry for rather bad quality of photos, they were done by phone as I dont know if GoG even has some screenshot mechanic/system...tried many keys but neither really saved a screenshot anywhere :D

Reported by: justl » Mar 15 2019, 18:03
When i started out in Enroth and had a person to resuce (like the child in New Sorpigal, or the Gal from the Thieves Guild@Iron Fist) with me, i realised they were taking money from every stash inside a robbed chest

Rodril: children won't take monry anymore, rest professions are still in review.

Reported by: justl » Mar 16 2019, 9:46
- Noticed another thing on the new go: at the New Sorpigal temple where you can learn Merchant/Unarmed/Dodging, you can also learn Meditation - but only after you leave and reenter the temple, it isnt shown before - it doesnt matter if the char hasnt learned unarmed/dodging (no 3rd skill is showing up after those two when you learn merchandise).
- in new sorpigal i had a queen cobra as bountyhunt -> it appeared _in the water_ near the obelisk island there.

Reported by: Jaojin » Mar 20 2019, 1:46
The texture for the 'temple door', specifically in Emerald Isle, seems to be off-center... as if the doors were flipped (L and R) causing the unseen grey border of the texture to be the center.

Reported by: Trollet » Mar 20 2019, 19:13
Xfing: Sounds like an original game bug, Eclipse was part of the randomly placed relic pool in addition to its static spawn in the Necromancer's Guild. Pretty weird, considering there was no such problem with the prize for Arcomage Championship or the Vault of Time uniques. But yeah, you probably do realize by now that in the merge the uniques are not separated by continent.
Templayer: Even vanilla bugs should be fixed, especially since this is a quest item!

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Mar 2019, 17:11

I think I'll actually turn off the selectable inventory grids now, they're not really that needed since we can now have continent-dependent interfaces. I'm assuming the Light/Dark interfaces are just a matter of time at this point too? :D

Return to “Might and Magic”