Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 03.03.2019]

Unread postby Templayer » 03 Mar 2019, 21:39

Rodril wrote:I've uploaded zip file, try it, please. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjvbmtu1oa84v ... d.zip?dl=0
IT LAUNCHED! IT'S CREATING FILES NOW! :-D

*sheds a tear of joy*

I think it is time to drop dropbox. :yes:

Try MEGA instead. 50 GB for a free account, and even if I use it only once per year, nothing gets deleted, etc. :hug:
And it doesn't rape files like dropbox clearly did, as you have originally suspected back when the patch came out and it caused havoc. :tsdown:

EDIT: I just finally got in-game! Emerald Island is so beautiful! :oex:
Last edited by Templayer on 03 Mar 2019, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

fireprince96
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fireprince96 » 04 Mar 2019, 03:30

@Templayer that's awesome! I used the zip file but when I would get into the games it was missing all the textures. did you just extract the file into the game file and run it? I been working this issue with rodril we were able to fix the debug console problems but this is what I would get in my games the movement worked fine and there was no lag.

https://imgur.com/a/0fzRIjX

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 04 Mar 2019, 07:49

@fireprince96
Check sizes of your files please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqgni70oanech ... r.png?dl=0
Admit, icons.lod should be over 100mb. Tell me if you'll find differences or not.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 10:15

fireprince96 wrote:@Templayer that's awesome! I used the zip file but when I would get into the games it was missing all the textures. did you just extract the file into the game file and run it? I been working this issue with rodril we were able to fix the debug console problems but this is what I would get in my games the movement worked fine and there was no lag.

https://imgur.com/a/0fzRIjX
Holy sh*t, those pictures... you could start a post-apolacalyptic mod with those! :D :D :D

I just installed the GOG version, and then extracted Rodril's zip file into the installation folder, rewritting existing files. Then I ran MM8.exe

I do not know the details of your communication with Rodril, but for the base - Don't use Windows 10 (because it is garbage), turn UAC off if higher than Windows XP, do not install into a folder that contains "program files" in it's path in any shape or form, do not install into a system-based folder (i.e. Documents, Desktop,...), kill your antivirus when installing and running the game (especially if you have a crappy antivirus like Avast...).

fireprince96
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fireprince96 » 04 Mar 2019, 13:55

@rodril
I might have had multiple copies of the files that I clicked to over right the previous files cause I got everything I am going to try a fresh installation.
Last edited by fireprince96 on 04 Mar 2019, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

fireprince96
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fireprince96 » 04 Mar 2019, 14:25

I don't understand what the problem could be is my mm8 file not able to be inside my user game file? I got all the files from the zip folder replaced it with my previous files, and I ran the game without UAC, and ran the game in windows xp, 98, 95, I gone all the way up to 7 and the textures are still not fixed.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 14:29

So, I have added the fixed Apollo normal female paperdoll repaint to the Paint Tracker.

Also I have added the Sun Cloak, Moon Cloak, and Vampire Cloak repaints to the Bug Tracker for each paperdoll.

Seems like the Normal Male Paperdoll for the Moon Cloak is broken. BUG. Added to the Bug Tracker.

Finally I can close the tab from a page in this thread where Rodril told me the IDs of those items months ago. :D :D :D

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 14:34

fireprince96 wrote:I don't understand what the problem could be is my mm8 file not able to be inside my user game file? I got all the files from the zip folder replaced it with my previous files, and I ran the game without UAC, and ran the game in windows xp, 98, 95, I gone all the way up to 7 and the textures are still not fixed.
"is my mm8 file" " inside my user game file" you mean folder?
"I got all the files from the zip folder replaced it with my previous files" - I hope you meant it the other way around. Your are supposed to replace the normal base vanilla game's files with the modded ones, not the other way around! Wait, I wonder what would happen if someone took Rodril's files as a base and then put the vanilla game's files into it! That would be bad... probably even had missing stuff.

"and ran the game in windows xp, 98, 95, I gone all the way up to 7" - How? I hope you don't mean the Compatibility mode, because that is not running it in those systems.

fireprince96
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fireprince96 » 04 Mar 2019, 14:42

yeah I put the mm8 file inside the user game file, I replaced the vanilla game files with the modded ones, and I have been running the game in windows 98/ windows me. Do I have all the files that I need? I went over that list rodril posted and I have all the that was in that list so I ain't sure what the problem could be.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 15:31

fireprince96 wrote:yeah I put the mm8 file inside the user game file, I replaced the vanilla game files with the modded ones, and I have been running the game in windows 98/ windows me. Do I have all the files that I need? I went over that list rodril posted and I have all the that was in that list so I ain't sure what the problem could be.
"yeah I put the mm8 file inside the user game file" - Do you mean folders? Your sentences make no sense - you are either not that good at English, or computers. Just trying to help you. I do not know what an "user game file" is! You mean the non-modded game / the folder you have installed the GOG version into?
Do you really have a computer running Windows 98 / ME or a multi-boot? Or through virtualization? don't really believe you at the moment. Please elaborate on how that was done.

" I went over that list rodril posted and I have all the that was in that list so I ain't sure what the problem could be." - Now there is basically no list.

Here is how to install it now:
1. Install the GOG version into a folder. Do not install it into Program Files or a system-created folder (i.e. do not install it into Documents, or into Desktop, ...)
2. Extract the contents of the following file into the folder mentioned in 1. If it prompts for overwriting, you are doing it correctly. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjvbmtu1oa84v ... d.zip?dl=0
3. Run MM8.exe as an administrator.
Last edited by Templayer on 04 Mar 2019, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.

fireprince96
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fireprince96 » 04 Mar 2019, 16:04

I'm trying to explain it as thoroughly as possible I have a windows 7 computer and am running the program in windows 98/ me compatibility I have put the GOG version into my D drive since I have no idea where else to put it in my C drive, I have put the patch into the GOG version folder and installed it into the folder, then I got the zip file you linked for me and replaced that with all vanilla files, I run the game takes 15 minutes the first time runs and no textures. I'm sorry I have explained as best I could this is my first time putting mods into a file so I don't know how the whole process works.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 04 Mar 2019, 16:59

Sent PM.
I don't know what causes that problem: installation error or hardware issues.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 17:36

fireprince96 wrote:I'm trying to explain it as thoroughly as possible I have a windows 7 computer and am running the program in windows 98/ me compatibility I have put the GOG version into my D drive since I have no idea where else to put it in my C drive, I have put the patch into the GOG version folder and installed it into the folder, then I got the zip file you linked for me and replaced that with all vanilla files, I run the game takes 15 minutes the first time runs and no textures. I'm sorry I have explained as best I could this is my first time putting mods into a file so I don't know how the whole process works.
You shouldn't need to apply the patch. It is already inside the file I sent you. Just install the GOG game into a folder and then use an archiving program (like WinRar or 7zip) to get the fileS (i.e. no "file") from the file I sent you a link to, and put those files into the GOG installation directory, rewriting existing.

Running a program in the Windows 98 compatibility mode is NOT the same as running it in Windows 98.
To be frank, running programs in the compatibility mode tends to be useless. It's more or less a cheap gimmick Microsoft made, that confuses non-tech-savvy people into thinking it can do more than it actually can. (much like Windows 10, but that is offtopic)

"then I got the zip file you linked for me and replaced that with all vanilla files" - Wait, once again you are telling us that you have replaced files in the zip file with the vanilla files. That makes no sense. You should do it the other way around, i.e. replace the vanilla (vanilla means non-modded, original files!) files with the files from the zip file (for the mod).

"I'm sorry I have explained as best I could this is my first time putting mods into a file so I don't know how the whole process works." -> "putting mods into a file" -> at this point I am almost sure it is a human-made error. Bzeep, blip blip.

Worst case scenario - send us the folder you are running the game from. And we will find out...

@Rodril
What would happen if you were to rewrite your files with the vanilla version ones? :D
Or putting everything into a zip file and then trying to run it with Windows' zip implementation? (if that is even possible)
I'm pretty sure it is something quite stupid.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 04 Mar 2019, 17:43

Templayer wrote:Running a program in the Windows 98 compatibility mode is NOT the same as running it in Windows 98.
Somehow MM8 shows twice more FPS with win 98 compatiblity than without.
Templayer wrote:@Rodril
What would happen if you were to rewrite your files with the vanilla version ones? :D
Or putting everything into a zip file and then trying to run it with Windows' zip implementation? (if that is even possible)
In first case game will show a lot of debug console pop ups and won't work further than main menu, in second case - i did not try, but
Templayer wrote:I'm pretty sure it is something quite stupid.
Yes.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 18:00

Rodril wrote:
Templayer wrote:Running a program in the Windows 98 compatibility mode is NOT the same as running it in Windows 98.
Somehow MM8 shows twice more FPS with win 98 compatiblity than without.
I didn't say it doesn't have its merits, I'm mainly saying that it should NOT be confused with actually running it with Windows 98. Those are two very different actions.
And as proven a post before, some people mistake these two things. Some newer Windows in better editions have actual virtualization in place of the compatibility mode, but it goes to 7 or Vista only I think.

I have an ACTUAL PC with Windows 98 (and through KernelEx I can even go to Youtube's homepage! xD ), a 6-year old laptop with Windows XP, and my main gaming desktop with dual booted Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate (8-core 4GHz per core CPU, where 1 thread = 1 core, GTX Titan X 12 GB GPU, both systems on an SSD drive, ...) with the main purpose of being able to run all good games from the ancient times up to the newest ones.

As far as framerate goes, I'm running MM6-8 at 60 FPS already without a compatibility mode (in Windows XP) while recording. Unless you have less than 60 FPS, doubling it might not even be needed, since from my knowledge NPC / monster animations in MM6 have 24 frames only. :) It is possible that the additional frames you are getting are the mouse movement ones! :D :D :D (so fluid! :D ).
Can't really check, since my screen is only 60 Hz. The next candidate for an upgrade, I say. :)

Trollet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Trollet » 04 Mar 2019, 18:40

Hi

First of all I would like to say, that what you have done here is like a dream come true! Very good indeed. :tsup: I stumbled on this when I decided to replay MM6 after some 15 years not playing it.

Well now I am in the mood for some Armageddon spell casting with my party but I can't find any spell book with it.... I have only played the MM6 part of the merge. Is it removed from MM6? Actually I have not seen Souldrinker either in MM6... And I have really tried to spam save/reload. Sometimes the spell books change and sometime they don't.

So is the spell (Armageddon) in the MM6 part of the game? Or do I have to get to the Pit in MM7? Which I don't remember how to get into....

Martin

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 04 Mar 2019, 20:14

Trollet wrote:So is the spell (Armageddon) in the MM6 part of the game? Or do I have to get to the Pit in MM7? Which I don't remember how to get into....
I can't speak for The Pit, since I seem to have corrupted my save as I was starting Antagarich, but I am confident I found Armageddon laying about in MM6, fairly late in proceedings. I was clearing out Dragonsands (because I could) and it was among the loot from all the dagrons there.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 04 Mar 2019, 20:22

Trollet wrote:Hi

First of all I would like to say, that what you have done here is like a dream come true! Very good indeed. :tsup: I stumbled on this when I decided to replay MM6 after some 15 years not playing it.

Well now I am in the mood for some Armageddon spell casting with my party but I can't find any spell book with it.... I have only played the MM6 part of the merge. Is it removed from MM6? Actually I have not seen Souldrinker either in MM6... And I have really tried to spam save/reload. Sometimes the spell books change and sometime they don't.

So is the spell (Armageddon) in the MM6 part of the game? Or do I have to get to the Pit in MM7? Which I don't remember how to get into....

Martin
I know that some spells (I know about Fly for sure) are harder to get now than they were previously.

Now that I think of it, it was weird that you could find a world destroying spell like Armageddon on a shelf in some shop. :D :D

The only spells that were actually removed are those that are in MM6 and MM7, but are not in MM8. Like Sacrifice which sacrificed an NPC follower in MM7.

Checkout our Tracker for stuffs. It is in my signature.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 05 Mar 2019, 13:44

Klasiant made a bug report straight on the Bug Tracker!

Reported by: Klasiant 14:18 05.03.2019
A chest by the obilisk in Erathia spawned three artifacts (Igraine, Elven Chainmail and Splitter) for my low-level (level 10) party. Seems a bit earlier than intended.

I approve! :)

Klasiant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Klasiant » 05 Mar 2019, 15:15

Templayer wrote:Klasiant made a bug report straight on the Bug Tracker!
I don't think I can help out in any other capacity on this project, so I'll just keep plugging along.

Do you happen to have any insight into how perception works, Templayer? I've usually kept it to one character, and found moderate amounts of extra loot when picking up corpses, but now I'm running a silly party where so far all my dudes have expert perception (since not one of us can disarm an actual trap) and I've seen an insane increase in the amount of random crap I find from corpses. My best guess is that the bonuses from different characters is stacking for some reason, but I don't know for sure.

Return to “Might and Magic”