Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby kristal » 25 Nov 2018, 17:49

Rodril wrote:Hello, patch link have been updated. Only minors this time.

@Kristal
I've added new chainmails, but i can not add new leathers, they definetely need any kind of pants or skirt, otherwise it does not look like it provide any defence. Look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbmdp68rgtnno ... r.png?dl=0
Didn't notice. Can add trousers from MM8. I have already mentioned, armor is not perfect, maybe someone knows better than photoshop.
How can I change the schedule of ships and stables. Changed Transport Locations files.txt and Transport Index.txt, but still doesn't work.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 25 Nov 2018, 19:15

Xfing wrote:The Fine Chain Mail (MM7) coordinates for the male paperdoll are wrong. Also, you could just use Grayface's sprite that he made for the Elven Chain Mail (Arcomage reward) if you'd like - Grayface's repaints are spot-on in general.
Added to the bug tracker. Also we agreed on differentiating artefacts from normals if they have the same sprite (i.e. MM6 artefact armours were modified to look differently from their base non-artefact versions by GrayFace) - maybe something like that should be done here too?
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

StoneM
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby StoneM » 25 Nov 2018, 20:45

Rodril wrote:Hello, patch link have been updated. Only minors this time.

@StoneM
Check your data folder for files named "LocalizeTables.*.txt", remove them.
Thank you! That helped!

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 26 Nov 2018, 16:20

Yandex translator: Is it possible to somehow use the console to move to different stages of the quest Verdant? Need to edit the localization.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 26 Nov 2018, 17:20

alexseevdenis wrote:Yandex translator: Is it possible to somehow use the console to move to different stages of the quest Verdant? Need to edit the localization.
Yes it is.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Nov 2018, 05:44

Three days without a post? Is something wrong with Celestial Heavens? :D

Vetrinus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vetrinus » 30 Nov 2018, 06:26

Templayer wrote:Three days without a post? Is something wrong with Celestial Heavens? :D
Have no fear, Nitpick Man is here!
Can we tinker with the opening hours of MM6, or is this too much of a change? MM7 and MM8 both conform to the 6am-6pm/vice versa opening times, but MM6 is all over the place, 8am-4pm, 10pm-2am, 6am-6pm...

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 30 Nov 2018, 06:56

Vetrinus wrote:
Templayer wrote:Three days without a post? Is something wrong with Celestial Heavens? :D
Have no fear, Nitpick Man is here!
Can we tinker with the opening hours of MM6, or is this too much of a change? MM7 and MM8 both conform to the 6am-6pm/vice versa opening times, but MM6 is all over the place, 8am-4pm, 10pm-2am, 6am-6pm...
I was about to suggest a similar thing, but in the opposite direction. Regarding skill tutor fees. MM8 was super simplified with pretty much everything costing 1k/4k/8k, 500/2,5k/8k, 2k/5k/8k or whatever, while in MM6 the fees were super variable depending on the skill's usefulness. Also, MM8 cheapened the Light/Dark tutory fees, while in MM7 they were, deservedly, of the highest price category. I don't think it would hurt to make these more expensive on Jadame too, even though these schools of magic are arguably more easily available there than they are on Antagarich.

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 30 Nov 2018, 10:36

Yandex translator. The latest version of the translation. Russian version of the video, Arcomage, fresh text edits and bug fixes, correction in the voice acting, as well as Russified some scripts and tables, the replacement will be accurate. How about we change the copyright ?

https://yadi.sk/d/Rx4KoP3zfT76nQ

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 30 Nov 2018, 16:53

Hello.
alexseevdenis wrote:Is it possible to somehow use the console to move to different stages of the quest Verdant? Need to edit the localization.
Yes, but it is not very straight-forward. Better inspect reference manual (https://grayface.github.io/mm/ext/ref/) and use debug console to gather quest objectives instantly.
alexseevdenis wrote:Yandex translator. The latest version of the translation. Russian version of the video, Arcomage, fresh text edits and bug fixes, correction in the voice acting, as well as Russified some scripts and tables, the replacement will be accurate. How about we change the copyright ?
https://yadi.sk/d/Rx4KoP3zfT76nQ
I'll add your link in first post, because i can not fit video archive into dropbox. Also, please, remove "2DEvents.txt" from "01 LocRU.EnglishT.lod", use "LocalizeTables.RU_2DEvents.txt" to localize it's text fields.
What copyrights do you want to change? Copyright texts are stored in "Credits.txt" and "Global.txt" at index 157 in "EnglishT.lod".
kristal wrote:How can I change the schedule of ships and stables. Changed Transport Locations files.txt and Transport Index.txt, but still doesn't work.
Use "House rules.txt" instead of "Transport index.txt".

@Daedros, names of map files are stored in "MapStats.txt" in EnglishT.lod.
Vetrinus wrote:Can we tinker with the opening hours of MM6, or is this too much of a change? MM7 and MM8 both conform to the 6am-6pm/vice versa opening times, but MM6 is all over the place, 8am-4pm, 10pm-2am, 6am-6pm...
It is possible by editing "2DEvents.txt", but i'd like to keep it in original way.

I've got this image today: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b90bj4ybrtm27 ... 1.png?dl=0
Hope, you recognized Verdant. It is not that epic and clean as title screens of original games, still i have little temptation to use it.
Draft could look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh6a6ocp172ps ... 2.bmp?dl=0
What do you think about it?

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 30 Nov 2018, 18:02

Rodril wrote:....https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh6a6ocp172ps ... 2.bmp?dl=0
nice !
Last edited by alexseevdenis on 30 Nov 2018, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 30 Nov 2018, 18:54

Rodril wrote: I've got this image today: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b90bj4ybrtm27 ... 1.png?dl=0
Hope, you recognized Verdant. It is not that epic and clean as title screens of original games, still i have little temptation to use it.
Draft could look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh6a6ocp172ps ... 2.bmp?dl=0
I was little worried that it wouldn't look right in the actual menu from looking at the first picture,
but my worries were lifted upon seeing the second picture. It looks awesome as a custom menu image!

However the title there is just "Might and Magic". Seems wrong to me.
I'm still standing on my belief that with the Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen we were given a naming convention for combined games in the MM series - those two became the World of Xeen when combined!

Since the name of the planet is Enroth (i.e. the same as one of the continents on it), by using the same naming convention, it should be Might and Magic: The World of Enroth.

@all
When suggesting things like opening hours changes, please suggest those into the Suggestion tracker as well. I'm too lazy to collect these if those are extremely minor nitpicks. :D I'm OK with having them in the tracker though.
Last edited by Templayer on 30 Nov 2018, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 30 Nov 2018, 23:00

Looks real good!

I'm also in favor of calling it "World of Enroth" or something.

But that, along with the Verdant graphic makes me crave more post-game content. I mean the Breach quest is quite amazing and rewarding alright, but one can't help but wonder about more. Like Vori. It probably wouldn't hurt to create Vori, especially since the IP is dead anyway, so there's very little likelihood of the lore being overwritten anytime soon.

And if you still worry about that, you could for example make a "vori wilds" region or something like that, that only has enemies and none of the civilization (no Snow Elves or Frost Giants) etc. Frankly, it's a huge shame Vori never got made in any form in a mainline MM game, another thing we just have to live with :(

Ofc Vori is just a suggestion, but if someone came up with a nice and rewarding further quest for the endgame, preferably combining the games' assets just like the Breach does, we'd all be super stoked I'm sure.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 01 Dec 2018, 08:46

Xfing wrote:Looks real good!

I'm also in favor of calling it "World of Enroth" or something.

But that, along with the Verdant graphic makes me crave more post-game content. I mean the Breach quest is quite amazing and rewarding alright, but one can't help but wonder about more. Like Vori. It probably wouldn't hurt to create Vori, especially since the IP is dead anyway, so there's very little likelihood of the lore being overwritten anytime soon.

And if you still worry about that, you could for example make a "vori wilds" region or something like that, that only has enemies and none of the civilization (no Snow Elves or Frost Giants) etc. Frankly, it's a huge shame Vori never got made in any form in a mainline MM game, another thing we just have to live with :(

Ofc Vori is just a suggestion, but if someone came up with a nice and rewarding further quest for the endgame, preferably combining the games' assets just like the Breach does, we'd all be super stoked I'm sure.
VORI! :yes: :tsup:

And by combining the games' assets (the snow effect from MM6 and using a different hue for some MM7 and 8 assets!) that would be somewhat easy! And awesome!
But we don't necessarily need another big quest line - a combination of smaller ones would be nice too.

Would it be possible to make a rain effect, since I presume the MM6 snow effect works in the Merge? It would be cool to have rainy days in some regions.
Original devs probably did think about that, but were like "remember how much work implementing that snow effect was? Screw that." :D

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 01 Dec 2018, 14:06

Patch link have been updated.
Dwarves are in game now, you can start as dwarf at any continent, hire dwaf peasants in Stone City (Antagarich), or meet random dwarf mercenaries in training hall. Dwarf use same helmets as human male, same belts and cloaks as trolls, armors and boots same as trolls but scaled down to 85%.
Main menu now have custom picture.
Arch druid and warlock promotion quests will be accessible despite choosen path, dragon hatcling will be able to behave as party memeber.
Templayer wrote:Since the name of the planet is Enroth (i.e. the same as one of the continents on it), by using the same naming convention, it should be Might and Magic: The World of Enroth.
I agree. Rain effect is in game as well.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 01 Dec 2018, 17:45

Templayer wrote: And by combining the games' assets (the snow effect from MM6 and using a different hue for some MM7 and 8 assets!) that would be somewhat easy! And awesome!
Breach already does that and more. The central structure contains brick and wood and various decoration texture types from MM6, 7 and 8 right next to each other, combining to create some of the best-looking and varied areas ever done in this engine.
Would it be possible to make a rain effect, since I presume the MM6 snow effect works in the Merge? It would be cool to have rainy days in some regions.
Original devs probably did think about that, but were like "remember how much work implementing that snow effect was? Screw that." :D
There is rain in the game already. It also starts occasionally just like snow. Ravenshore is a good area for that, I've found the rain comes and goes occasionally. You'd probably have to be pretty lucky to encounter it, but it's there alright.

What troubles me though is that the new random weather system gets in the way of the permanent snow in the Frozen Highlands - it's no longer there, replaced by the intermittent, random snow mechanic, so the quest kinda doesn't make sense. This should be taken a look at I think

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 01 Dec 2018, 17:51

Rodril wrote: Arch druid and warlock promotion quests will be accessible despite choosen path
What motivated this particular decision? Probably the dragon hatchling, but that's still a little bit lore-breaking IMO, as Anthony Green the Arch Druid was quite averse to the notion of associating with Dark Path types.

An alternate solution could be that only Light pathers can become Arch Druids on Antagarich (Enroth is a different story obviously), but Tor Anwyn offers a "honorary warlock" promotion to them, telling them that while he can't make them a real Warlock, he can create the familiar. Or something. Because otherwise it's a little bit messy from a lore standpoint. Probably not worth all the hassle, since there's plenty enough of recruitable dragons anyway.

Oh, and BTW: this one should be super simple to do by now - what about wetsuit repaints, so that their original functionality is restored? Dragons and Minos could be made an exception, and so they wouldn't be able to be taken down to the Lincoln (in MM8 sometimes you also need to temporarily dismiss at least one of your party members, so it's all good I think).
Last edited by Xfing on 01 Dec 2018, 18:17, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 01 Dec 2018, 20:31

Rodril wrote:
Templayer wrote:Since the name of the planet is Enroth (i.e. the same as one of the continents on it), by using the same naming convention, it should be Might and Magic: The World of Enroth.
I agree.
YES! MY PURPOSE IS FINISHED! I HAVE CONTRIBUTED THE IN-GAME NAME OF THIS PROJECT! I can now die a happy man. :-D :D :hug:
Rodril wrote: Rain effect is in game as well.
Wh... wait... what?
Xfing wrote: There is rain in the game already. It also starts occasionally just like snow. Ravenshore is a good area for that, I've found the rain comes and goes occasionally. You'd probably have to be pretty lucky to encounter it, but it's there alright.

What troubles me though is that the new random weather system gets in the way of the permanent snow in the Frozen Highlands - it's no longer there, replaced by the intermittent, random snow mechanic, so the quest kinda doesn't make sense. This should be taken a look at I think
I have played through MM8 SO MANY TIMES. I have never, ever, even ONCE seen rain. WTF! Can somebody give me a picture? How does it look like?!?

Also this kinda proves that the weather needs a bit of an overhaul.

For snow - snow constantly until the Winter Curse is abated, then snow occasionally.

For rain - make it rain in accordance to the biomes. Make it rain a lot in Mire of the Damned and Tatalia (and the Ravage Roaming until the gate is destroyed / Dagger Wound after the vulcanoes stop), medium rains in locations like Toluean forest (I know I probably botched the name of that up) and Ironfist, rarely in some lighter areas, never in dry areas. I would like to see rain one day.

Probably make an occurrence table for rain - depending on the amount of foliage, temperature and dryness.

Also exceptionally dry regions (like deserts) could have a repainted rain or snow - sandstorms (well, I have never seen rain, so I do not know how it would look when repainted). Same thing as above. That would be awesome!

Vetrinus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vetrinus » 02 Dec 2018, 06:17

Templayer wrote: @all
When suggesting things like opening hours changes, please suggest those into the Suggestion tracker as well. I'm too lazy to collect these if those are extremely minor nitpicks. :D I'm OK with having them in the tracker though.
My opening hours suggestion is so tiny and trivial that I don't think it's even worth keeping track of. :P

However, a not-so-trivial thing I wanna point out is this: Now that we have a beautiful new main menu screen with the new title implemented, the new game title should be reflected everywhere else. That would be the in-game menu screen, the load/save menus, the controls menu and the character creation screen.
Last edited by Vetrinus on 02 Dec 2018, 06:33, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 02 Dec 2018, 08:40

Vetrinus wrote: My opening hours suggestion is so tiny and trivial that I don't think it's even worth keeping track of. :P
My stance on them is mixed. Having a lot of different opening hours is great from an immersion standpoint, but I hate it from a gameplay standpoint
(it makes you spent more time buying and selling, because you sometimes have to wait until another day, etc.)

Keeping it as it is would be good enough, since you can have both the immersion and "everything is open now so I don't have to go spend a night now because something is closed" when continent hopping.

Return to “Might and Magic”