Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 22.09.2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 19 2018, 13:20

Maslyonok wrote:So, don't anybody know about gem collection quest? I'm stucked.


I did do that quest and provided you have every single gemstone from MM8 you should be fine. Verdant takes them from you one by one actually, so you should see a measure of progress at all times.

Yaknchuk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 4
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Yaknchuk » Oct 19 2018, 13:45

Xfing wrote:
Yaknchuk wrote:
Templayer wrote:I will have to add some of these things into the bug tracker, but almost half of the things seems to be not understanding how things work. For example - classes from different games with the same name were combined. There will be no "two warrior mages" classes.


I agree that I misunderstood how things work. I was assuming that if I was playing on Enroth I would be playing by MM6 rules.
and that
The combining classes would work if they were the same promotion level. but the WarriorMage from Enroth is the third promotion and the WarriorMage from Antagarich is the second promotion. So when the Archer becomes a WarriorMage in Antagarich they receives no new HP/SP according to Class extra.txt the WarriorMage is based off the second promotion and without a BattleMage Promotion The Archer in Enroth Recieves nothing for their first promotion and only 2nd promotion level bonus on their third promotion. This also leaves you with the same for Class skills.
Unless I am missing something? :D


No, it's just that on Enroth you now have Archer > Warrior Mage > Master Archer rather than Archer > Battle Mage > Warrior Mage. There is no overlap and the regular promotion scheme is preserved. I agree regarding alchemy - somehow despite its difficulty and super rudimentary potion mixing system, MM6 didn't require alchemy to beat. But I think adding at the very least expert and master teachers (to home NPCs who mention alchemy, preferably) would be desirable. MM6's alchemy system won't be missed, but everyone should be given an equal footing. As for the spells, I personally don't feel those are necessary, as mm7's overhaul made the spell system better in pretty much every way, but hey - I wouldn't protest if some of those spells appeared exclusively as scrolls I guess.


Thx Xfing for clearing up how the merged classes work!
As for the alchemy skill on Enroth. The best way IMO is exactly that, add the trainers to Enroth. There would still be the issue of not being able to make black potions until you go to Antagarich or Jadame, But that isn't that big of a deal.
Love the idea of the unused spells on scrolls just for the nostalgia, as some spells just wouldn't really be useable as scrolls like Golden Touch.
:tsup:

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 19 2018, 15:26

kristal wrote:I redrawn the armor from the MM7.
https://yadi.sk/d/zd0zCxPcX4AHCQ


That is some fantastic work! But I have bad eye sight, :tired: could you add the name of the paperdoll in the naming scheme? There are four paperdolls (five, but Dragons are out for this) - Male, Female, Troll and Minotaur.
Is the last one per armor an inventory graphic? If that is the case, either Troll or Minotaur paperdoll image is missing.

I'm going to add them to the PAINT TRACKER as soon as you provide the info.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Maslyonok
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Maslyonok » Oct 19 2018, 15:37

Xfing wrote:
Maslyonok wrote:So, don't anybody know about gem collection quest? I'm stucked.


I did do that quest and provided you have every single gemstone from MM8 you should be fine. Verdant takes them from you one by one actually, so you should see a measure of progress at all times.


That is how she answer:
Image
I think it is a bug, didn't it?

User avatar
kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 44
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Location: Russian

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby kristal » Oct 19 2018, 15:40

Xfing wrote:
kristal wrote:I redrawn the armor from the MM7.
https://yadi.sk/d/zd0zCxPcX4AHCQ

Hey, these look really good! Fantastic work! If you choose to keep it up, make sure you coordinate with Grayface regarding the Royal Leather, as he's already done Hareck's. Then again, maybe it wouldn't hurt if they didn't look identical? Dunno. Anyway, great work here!


Thanks! The armor isn't perfect, but I want to redraw the rest of the armor soon. GrayFace knows about my work.

Templayer wrote:
kristal wrote:I redrawn the armor from the MM7.
https://yadi.sk/d/zd0zCxPcX4AHCQ


That is some fantastic work! But I have bad eye sight, :tired: could you add the name of the paperdoll in the naming scheme? There are four paperdolls (five, but Dragons are out for this) - Male, Female, Troll and Minotaur.
Is the last one per armor an inventory graphic? If that is the case, either Troll or Minotaur paperdoll image is missing.

I'm going to add them to the PAINT TRACKER as soon as you provide the info.


I drew all the armor options (some need to be duplicated or a bit to draw). If Rodril doesn't add armor to MM Merge, then I'll upload the rest of the files, TXT.

Sorry about my English.

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 19 2018, 16:17

kristal wrote:
Templayer wrote:That is some fantastic work! But I have bad eye sight, :tired: could you add the name of the paperdoll in the naming scheme? There are four paperdolls (five, but Dragons are out for this) - Male, Female, Troll and Minotaur.
Is the last one per armor an inventory graphic? If that is the case, either Troll or Minotaur paperdoll image is missing.

I'm going to add them to the PAINT TRACKER as soon as you provide the info.


I drew all the armor options (some need to be duplicated or a bit to draw). If Rodril doesn't add armor to MM Merge, then I'll upload the rest of the files, TXT.

Sorry about my English.


Added to the paint tracker. Could you please check if I didn't screw something up? The link is in my signature.
Also giving me the graphics for armours that GrayFace made that are not in the tracker (all the variations of them, that is) would be great if you could. :(
Or anybody. :(
Last edited by Templayer on Oct 19 2018, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 19 2018, 16:30

I believe based on what I've seen that Rodril would be quite happy to add armors to the merge. He created the first tracker list of armors that need to be repainted, after all.

Man, can't wait for those dress-up possibilities :D

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 19 2018, 16:43

Xfing wrote:I believe based on what I've seen that Rodril would be quite happy to add armors to the merge. He created the first tracker list of armors that need to be repainted, after all.

Man, can't wait for those dress-up possibilities :D


He did? Where?
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 19 2018, 16:51

Templayer wrote:
Xfing wrote:I believe based on what I've seen that Rodril would be quite happy to add armors to the merge. He created the first tracker list of armors that need to be repainted, after all.

Man, can't wait for those dress-up possibilities :D


He did? Where?


Why look at the original post, there's a file listing the assets that need to be added.

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 19 2018, 17:58

Xfing wrote:
Templayer wrote:
Xfing wrote:I believe based on what I've seen that Rodril would be quite happy to add armors to the merge. He created the first tracker list of armors that need to be repainted, after all.

Man, can't wait for those dress-up possibilities :D


He did? Where?


Why look at the original post, there's a file listing the assets that need to be added.


Oh, you mean that text one. Yeah, I guess.
Mine does show the love of the community for the merge and the outstanding amount of work they put into the mod as well (GrayFace, Kristal,...)

EDIT: The tracker now has authors on the paints. ^__^

Image
Last edited by Templayer on Oct 19 2018, 18:22, edited 3 times in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

jmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Dec 2010

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby jmaster » Oct 19 2018, 19:48

Maslyonok wrote:That is how she answer:
Image
I think it is a bug, didn't it?


If you use any localization - try temporary delete its files. I played with russian files and had just the same bug. When I removed lods Verdant began to accept gems :)

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 19 2018, 22:28

I've played a bit today, and I've got some little things to report:

- The Smuggler's Cove is always hostile after respawning, even after you ally with the Wererats
- Ogres from MM8 scale up way too fast in terms of hp. Ogre Brawlers in my game have over 2000 hp now (party's close to level 200), while normally they have 67, while most monsters initially more powerful haven't scaled up this drastically. I believe a more reasonable scaling is called for when it comes to Ogres.
- Could you check if the Gemstone Ring (MM8) has a separate sprite not used in the game code? In the released MM8 the Gemstone Ring has the same sprite as the next one in line, the Amethyst Ring.

Other than that, I've been collecting items from all the games, and I'll prepare a list of values suggested for the merge soon. This will include shields, helms, hats, crowns, boots, gauntlets, cloaks, belts, amulets and rings. Quite a bit of work, especially finding all the items, but I spent quite a few hours today doing it and I'm only missing a few rings and an amulet right now. I should be able to prepare a suggested order of quality list tomorrow.

That said - repainting belts and cloaks specifically should be super easy to do. The Cloak of Baa from MM6 is in the game and it's got a usable (albeit unaltered) sprite, and it appears that all that needs to be done is altering the shoulder section. The rest of the cloaks should be quite similar in that regard. And belts should be very easy to do for obvious reasons. Can't say the same for boots, unfortunately :(
Last edited by Xfing on Oct 19 2018, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Maslyonok
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 81
Joined: 18 Oct 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Maslyonok » Oct 20 2018, 6:34

jmaster wrote:If you use any localization - try temporary delete its files. I played with russian files and had just the same bug. When I removed lods Verdant began to accept gems :)

It worked! Thanks a lot

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 20 2018, 8:26

Xfing wrote:I've played a bit today, and I've got some little things to report:

- The Smuggler's Cove is always hostile after respawning, even after you ally with the Wererats
- Ogres from MM8 scale up way too fast in terms of hp. Ogre Brawlers in my game have over 2000 hp now (party's close to level 200), while normally they have 67, while most monsters initially more powerful haven't scaled up this drastically. I believe a more reasonable scaling is called for when it comes to Ogres.
- Could you check if the Gemstone Ring (MM8) has a separate sprite not used in the game code? In the released MM8 the Gemstone Ring has the same sprite as the next one in line, the Amethyst Ring.

Other than that, I've been collecting items from all the games, and I'll prepare a list of values suggested for the merge soon. This will include shields, helms, hats, crowns, boots, gauntlets, cloaks, belts, amulets and rings. Quite a bit of work, especially finding all the items, but I spent quite a few hours today doing it and I'm only missing a few rings and an amulet right now. I should be able to prepare a suggested order of quality list tomorrow.

That said - repainting belts and cloaks specifically should be super easy to do. The Cloak of Baa from MM6 is in the game and it's got a usable (albeit unaltered) sprite, and it appears that all that needs to be done is altering the shoulder section. The rest of the cloaks should be quite similar in that regard. And belts should be very easy to do for obvious reasons. Can't say the same for boots, unfortunately :(

Added stuff to the bug tracker. And yeah, Cloaks and belts will be easy to repaint. If somebody wants to start repainting and doesn't know where, that would be a good place.
Once you are done with the values, could I add those tables into the tracker? With your signature, of course. :)

Another thing that is missing is a detailed documentation of what the mod does. Might be useful for people that didn't read this 1000+ post thread. :P
Something to denote how deep the mod goes.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 20 2018, 12:24

Working on it now!

New suggestions and ideas:
- Only Stalt-laced ore should have a chance of producing items that will be exclusively treasure level 6 when crafting at a craftsman - this goes for weapons, armor and apparel. At the same time of course, it shouldn't produce any artifacts or relics (obviously!) I wonder if that can be coded?
- Every character could have a customizable character menu (or at least the inventory grid). There's MM6's brown/orange, MM7's ligh blue and dark red and MM8's plain gray - it would be cool to have all of them as possible choices. It being editable from the menu for the whole party would already be cool, but per-character personalization options would be even cooler.
- Enchant Item should be able to enchant lowest quality items too at higher skill levels (how far down one can go in terms of quality should be dictated by skill points, with like, 20 skill points being able to enchant the **** items). Of course the available enchantments for low-quality items would be sharply limited, for example weapons would only get "Of Sparks" instead of "Of Thunderbolts", when there are 1-25 ranges of enchantments, lowest tier items can only get up to +5 etc. I wonder if coding something like this is possible.
Last edited by Xfing on Oct 20 2018, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 20 2018, 17:33

Xfing wrote:Working on it now!

New suggestions and ideas:
- Only Stalt-laced ore should have a chance of producing items that will be exclusively treasure level 6 when crafting at a craftsman - this goes for weapons, armor and apparel. At the same time of course, it shouldn't produce any artifacts or relics (obviously!) I wonder if that can be coded?
- Every character could have a customizable character menu (or at least the inventory grid). There's MM6's brown/orange, MM7's ligh blue and dark red and MM8's plain gray - it would be cool to have all of them as possible choices. It being editable from the menu for the whole party would already be cool, but per-character personalization options would be even cooler.


Both added to the SUGGESTIONS TRACKER.
Last edited by Templayer on Oct 20 2018, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

dominatorek1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 13
Joined: 30 Sep 2018

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby dominatorek1 » Oct 20 2018, 17:38

How to set exp for all party beacuse i dont know how yet.

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 20 2018, 20:15

@Templayer, I added yet another thing after editing that post, if you would be so kind to add that too :D

Regarding MM6 cloaks - based on the Cloak of Baa it looks like they actually won't require repainting for the Male, Mino and Troll portraits, only perhaps for women. What I thought to be shoulders placed too high, are actually supposed to be collar bands. My bad :D That means the cloaks are pretty much good to go in their current form and just need to be positioned properly. MM7's might require some slight repainting, as those are the ones that actually have proper shoulder sections.

Ok, so now on to the main thing: After a whole day of painstaking work, I've created the file with suggested tiering of all remaining items.

Rodril, could you sticky this, along with my previous 2 files for weapons and body armor in the original post or something? That way people would be able to give feedback. The file's here, and I'm quite proud of my work, enjoy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kqbl6zhnxb3x ... .docx?dl=0

Pasting the remaining ones for your convenience:

Body armor:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smrpujkjatc0t ... .docx?dl=0

Weapons:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylji9feq4lmzz ... .docx?dl=0

Also, pasting an image demonstrating the changes that have been made to the swords that I've been so annoying about recently. The ones on the left in each pair are the original versions, and the ones on the right are the altered versions. I'm still curious who's responsible or where those came from, maybe now someone will be able to explain :D

Image

PS: Are there now 5 Blaster Rifles in the Control Center? I think it has been mentioned that 5 are required due to MM8's party size, rather than the 4 that MM6 provides. Also, while I'm super keen on including everything from all 3 games as much as possible, I'd actually be in favor of replacing those with the skin from MM7 - they are functionaly identical after all, while MM6's blasters look a bit grotesque and archaic, not to mention they take an assload of room :D
Last edited by Xfing on Oct 20 2018, 21:59, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
Templayer
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 977
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Templayer » Oct 21 2018, 8:20

Xfing wrote:@Templayer, I added yet another thing after editing that post, if you would be so kind to add that too :D

Added to the suggestions tracker.

Xfing wrote:PS: Are there now 5 Blaster Rifles in the Control Center? I think it has been mentioned that 5 are required due to MM8's party size, rather than the 4 that MM6 provides. Also, while I'm super keen on including everything from all 3 games as much as possible, I'd actually be in favor of replacing those with the skin from MM7 - they are functionaly identical after all, while MM6's blasters look a bit grotesque and archaic, not to mention they take an assload of room :D

Why don't you subtier them too? Since the MM6 ones look more archaic, make them weaker and the MM7 ones stronger. :P
I'm absolutely against removing unique graphics. Especially since I like both of them. :(
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Bug Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

My youtube retro channel: www.youtube.com/Templayer

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 753
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Xfing » Oct 21 2018, 8:29

Templayer wrote:Why don't you subtier them too? Since the MM6 ones look more archaic, make them weaker and the MM7 ones stronger. :P
I'm absolutely against removing unique graphics. Especially since I like both of them. :(


That was my first thought. MM6's blasters could be weaker, as they're over 1000 years old if not more, while those from the Lincoln were in much better repair and overall looked newer. Making MM6's blasters 3d5+6 and 5d5+10 or something wouldn't be such a bad way to differentiate them.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests