Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Marko90
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Marko90 » 16 Oct 2018, 03:13

Hey guys, found a problem. I've finished the main storyline for MM6 and MM8, and decided to do MM7 last. I've got the wetsuits and can't put them on even after removing everything from character/inventory. I'm no programmer, but could the issue lie in the fact that none of my characters were created in Antagarich (MM7)? All starting charcters were MM6 and some picked up in MM8.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 16 Oct 2018, 06:55

It should be enough to have the wetsuits in their inventory if they can't wear them. Did you try that?

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 16 Oct 2018, 08:15

Rodril.
You can write the class icons in front of the character Creation. For example, for the Minotaur class, you can use an icon with an axe.
https://yadi.sk/d/zd0zCxPcX4AHCQ

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 16 Oct 2018, 08:17

I used the GrayFace code examples. Some stones in MM8 will be caches (as in Diablo II). Put the script in the Global folder.

Code: Select all

local SpriteEvents = 20000
local TXT = LocalizeAll{
	StoneHint = "Stone",
}

local function Stone(EvtId)
	local i = EvtId - SpriteEvents
	local v = Stones[i]
	local u
	if v > 0 then
		u = Game.Rand() % 3
			if u == 1 or u == 2 then
			evt.PlaySound{Id = 16, X = 0, Y = 0}
			evt.GiveItem {Strength = 2, Type = const.ItemType.Any_, Id = 0}
			Game.ShowStatusText("Cache!")
			Map.Sprites[i].DecName = "rock50"  -- alternatively, for the same effect:  evt.SetSprite(i, false)
		else
		evt.PlaySound{Id = 16, X = 0, Y = 0}
		Game.ShowStatusText("Nothing.")
		Map.Sprites[i].DecName = "rock50"  -- alternatively, for the same effect:  evt.SetSprite(i, false)
		end
		Stones[i] = 0
	end
end

local function InitStone(i, a)
	a.Event = SpriteEvents + i
	evt.map[SpriteEvents + i] = Stone
	evt.hint[SpriteEvents + i] = TXT.StoneHint
	Stones[i] = Stones[i] or math.random(1, 7)
end

function events.LoadMap()
	Stones = mapvars.Stones or {}
	mapvars.Stones = Stones
	for i, a in Map.Sprites do
		if a.DecName and a.DecName == "rock03" then
			InitStone(i, a)
		end
	end
end

fr3aksh0w
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

debug console when starting game

Unread postby fr3aksh0w » 16 Oct 2018, 08:56

Hi,
I'm dying to try out the merge but I can't seem to launch the game. I get the debug console with following information:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...estroyer\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable "TakeItemFromParty" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSNoGlobals.lua:602: in function 'dofile'
Scripts\Core\main.lua:484: in main chunk

arguments of 'dofile':
fname = "C:\\GOG Games\\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua"

local variables of 'dofile':
f = nil
err = "...estroyer\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable \"TakeItemFromParty\" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration"

upvalues of 'dofile':
loadfile = (function: 0x003d56d0)
error = (function: builtin#19)

I know nothing of code, so I'm lost :/
Any Ideas?

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 16 Oct 2018, 09:43

Any intent to normalize the Reagent drops from monster kills between the continents? For example, have Dragon's Eye have a chance to pop from the corpse of any dying Dragon in M&M 6/7/8? Or Vial of Troll's Blood drop from Trolls in M&M 7/8. Vial of Devil Ichor from Kreegans (Devils) in M&M 6/7. Gog's Blood from Gogs in M&M 7/8. Etc.
Btw, does the "Tier" of the monster matter for the drop chance? For example, does a Unicorn Herd Leader have a higher chance to drop a Unicorn Horn than a Unicorn Foal does?
Also, would it be possible to add a small chance (3-5%?) for a Philosopher's Stone to drop from the corpse of high level spell casters, such as Liches (M&M 6/7), Master Necromancers (M&M 8) or Regnan Archmages (M&M 8), maybe even Titans (M&M 6/7)? It's ridiculously hard getting Philosopher's Stones normally without save scumming T6 corpse loot.
I've read a couple old loot guides for M&M 8, and for some odd reason, they keep saying that Earth Elementals and Boulders are supposed to have Ore as well as Gems for loot. Would be kind of cool if the highest tier of Earth Elementals (Earth Elemental in M&M 6/7), Greater Earth Elemental (M&M 8) could have Stalt Ore for loot as well.
Last edited by Daedros on 16 Oct 2018, 09:55, edited 3 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 Oct 2018, 13:26

^ I agree with everything above. Great points, Daedros! Reagents should be droppable by all relevant monsters. As for ore from earth elementals, I've never found it in MM8, ever, so it's probably unfinished code. I'd propose giving Iron, Siertal and Phylt to low tier EE's (the ones from MM7), while Kergar, Erudine and Stalt could go to MM8 elementals. Stalt could only drop from Greater ones with a really low chance for example.Of course the end phase of the games' integration would be the intermingling of assets (like in the Runaway Chaos mission), so lesser elementals could also be found in MM8's planes in certain numbers. As could many other monsters in appropriate locations in games they didn't appear in. But that's something to be discussed thoroughly.

I'd also like to reiterate my proposal to address the MM6 gemstones - these are only available from crystals in Snergle's lair and Gharik's forge and the like if I recall - they could be added to random loot in addition to that, though their values would have to be scaled down to match the gemstones from MM8.

Also, daily wonky MM6-7 sword sprite reminder! Please get those fixed!
Last edited by Xfing on 19 Oct 2018, 07:39, edited 2 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Re: debug console when starting game

Unread postby Templayer » 16 Oct 2018, 15:57

fr3aksh0w wrote:Hi,
I'm dying to try out the merge but I can't seem to launch the game. I get the debug console with following information:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Code: Select all

...estroyer\Scripts\Structs\After\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable "TakeItemFromParty" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	Scripts/Core/RSNoGlobals.lua:602: in function 'dofile'
	Scripts\Core\main.lua:484: in main chunk

arguments of 'dofile':
	fname = "C:\\GOG Games\\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua"

local variables of 'dofile':
	f = nil
	err = "...estroyer\\Scripts\\Structs\\After\\LocalizationAndQuests.lua:564: use of unknown global variable \"TakeItemFromParty\" after _KNOWNGLOBALS_F declaration"

upvalues of 'dofile':
	loadfile = (function: 0x003d56d0)
	error = (function: builtin#19)

I know nothing of code, so I'm lost :/
Any Ideas?
Added to bug tracker (for now)
Daedros wrote:Any intent to normalize the Reagent drops from monster kills between the continents? For example, have Dragon's Eye have a chance to pop from the corpse of any dying Dragon in M&M 6/7/8? Or Vial of Troll's Blood drop from Trolls in M&M 7/8. Vial of Devil Ichor from Kreegans (Devils) in M&M 6/7. Gog's Blood from Gogs in M&M 7/8. Etc.
Btw, does the "Tier" of the monster matter for the drop chance? For example, does a Unicorn Herd Leader have a higher chance to drop a Unicorn Horn than a Unicorn Foal does?
Also, would it be possible to add a small chance (3-5%?) for a Philosopher's Stone to drop from the corpse of high level spell casters, such as Liches (M&M 6/7), Master Necromancers (M&M 8) or Regnan Archmages (M&M 8), maybe even Titans (M&M 6/7)? It's ridiculously hard getting Philosopher's Stones normally without save scumming T6 corpse loot.
I've read a couple old loot guides for M&M 8, and for some odd reason, they keep saying that Earth Elementals and Boulders are supposed to have Ore as well as Gems for loot. Would be kind of cool if the highest tier of Earth Elementals (Earth Elemental in M&M 6/7), Greater Earth Elemental (M&M 8) could have Stalt Ore for loot as well.
Added to Suggestions on the Task Tracker, together with Xfings comment on it.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Skjurru
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skjurru » 16 Oct 2018, 21:23

Idea on dragons, expanding on the dragon suggestions in the google doc:

What if instead of simply choosing your dragon's color, you get different promotions for the two existing colors? Red becomes black, green becomes gold – like in HoMM3. Both red and green start out with a fire ranged attack, and after promotion add the second element of dark (for black dragons) or light (for gold dragons), so the attack becomes dual-element, like the dark elves' Darkfire Bolt. Their fireball-like 'spell' changes accordingly.

Blue dragons (which exist in MM, but don't exist in HoMM) are a bit more difficult to tie in, but they could be promoted to, say, azure dragons (which exist in HoMM, but don't exist in MM). Their attack could change from cold to acid (though both are water element), and add the armor-breaking property like GM Axe.

Plus an alternative promotion path could be added for all three colors, to turn them into bone dragons/dracoliches – perhaps accomplished with the same quest as the lich promotion for necromancers and wizards, or maybe a separate one. These lose the default ranged attack and the fireball and wing buffet 'spells' (it's hard to fan up a wind gust with bone wings), but gain dark magic up to expert or master. I'm not terribly certain about this last part, though.

This will of course still require recoloring, but that should not be terribly hard to do. The bone dragon face and paper doll, though...
Last edited by Skjurru on 16 Oct 2018, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 17 Oct 2018, 04:01

Yandex translator:

game music is only looped in 8 parts? or can be force be much more widespread in other ?

PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=1

the following parameters are set. or, loopcount must be set to greater than 1

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 17 Oct 2018, 15:57

Skjurru wrote:Idea on dragons, expanding on the dragon suggestions in the google doc:

What if instead of simply choosing your dragon's color, you get different promotions for the two existing colors? Red becomes black, green becomes gold – like in HoMM3. Both red and green start out with a fire ranged attack, and after promotion add the second element of dark (for black dragons) or light (for gold dragons), so the attack becomes dual-element, like the dark elves' Darkfire Bolt. Their fireball-like 'spell' changes accordingly.

Blue dragons (which exist in MM, but don't exist in HoMM) are a bit more difficult to tie in, but they could be promoted to, say, azure dragons (which exist in HoMM, but don't exist in MM). Their attack could change from cold to acid (though both are water element), and add the armor-breaking property like GM Axe.

Plus an alternative promotion path could be added for all three colors, to turn them into bone dragons/dracoliches – perhaps accomplished with the same quest as the lich promotion for necromancers and wizards, or maybe a separate one. These lose the default ranged attack and the fireball and wing buffet 'spells' (it's hard to fan up a wind gust with bone wings), but gain dark magic up to expert or master. I'm not terribly certain about this last part, though.

This will of course still require recoloring, but that should not be terribly hard to do. The bone dragon face and paper doll, though...
I'm against that. HoMM is a spinoff series, and the creatures transforming upon upgrade never made sense to me, and as far as non-humans go, it was also never explained (or mentioned) lore-wise. Sure, you can train a pikeman to become a halberdier, and replace his pike with a halberd, but the dragons changing colors? Also in HoMM2 green became red and red became black (the "Mountains" faction of the Warlocks), so there is also that disrepancy. Dracoliches can currently be created technically (promoting a character that is race - dragon and class - necromancer, for example), but the result will be a transmutation into a humanoid skeleton.

Also according to this: http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstro ... colic.html Dracoliches actually regain their Breath Weapon upon the transformation from a proto-dracolich into a full fledged dracolich. I know it isn't the MM lore, but the MM lore deeply uses DnD stuff and such, so might as well use the water from the same well.

Also HoMM1 has a purple dragon. Yes, a purple dragon. It's hilariously fat as well! :D

It would be nice if each colour had a different element to the breath weapon, though. And upon promotion to Great Wyrm an additional one could be attained. After nerfing the vanilla breath weapon, that is!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Oct 2018, 21:48

Templayer wrote:I'm against that. HoMM is a spinoff series, and the creatures transforming upon upgrade never made sense to me, and as far as non-humans go, it was also never explained (or mentioned) lore-wise. Sure, you can train a pikeman to become a halberdier, and replace his pike with a halberd, but the dragons changing colors
I always thought of the dragon thing as an alliance being made with them, and they send you a stronger dragon instead of the weaker one upon a sufficient treasure donation. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 18 Oct 2018, 13:35

There's a problem in gem collection main quest. I thought i gathered them all, but Verdant think i didn't. Tell me, please, what I did wrong?

Yaknchuk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yaknchuk » 18 Oct 2018, 14:38

First of all, Thanks Rodril, Grayface and everyone who has helped in making this possible!! I am a huge fan of the M&M series.
I really want to help this project and the only way I know how to help ATM is to give feedback on game play. So I fired up a new game in Enroth and here is what I've found so far:
Enroth = MM6 Antagarich = MM7 Jadame = MM8
1. Alchemy doesn’t exist in Enroth and the Potion Settings.txt “Required mastery” makes it impossible to create anything other than basic potions on Enroth. Alchemy is also attainable as a skill on Enroth and should be removed as there are no alchemy trainers on Enroth. But…without getting the alchemy skill you cannot mix potions at all.
2. Cauldrons in Enroth Temple of Baa in Castle Ironfist sometimes fail to give the +2 bonus to resistance and all cauldrons that give resistance to fire seem to fail in giving the +2 bonus.
3. Not all the classes are represented in the class skills.txt file. BattleMage, HighPriest and there should be 2 WarriorMage’s. 1 from Enroth, The last Archer promotion and 1 from Antagarich the first archer promotion. That being said, I think there should be a Class Skills.txt for all 3 continents. Ie…..Class Skills6.txt, Class Skills7.txt, Class Skills8.txt Would make things easy to change but I also don’t know how easy that would be to do or if it’s even possible?
4. Black potions in Enroth give +50 to a stat, Vanilla Enroth was:
Essence of Accuracy +15 Accuracy, -5 Luck permanently
Essence of Endurance +15 Endurance, -1 all other permanently
Essence of Intellect +15 Intellect, -5 Might permanently
Essence of Luck +15 Luck, -5 Accuracy permanently
Essence of Might +15 Might, -5 Intellect permanently
Essence of Personality +15 Personality, -5 Speed permanently
Essence of Speed +15 Speed, -5 Personality permanently
Looks like all potions are based off of Jadame.
5. Enroth, Bounty hunts can spawn in New Sorpigal while party is at level 1 and checks the bounty hunting quest. This really sucks when it turns out to be a very high level creature and you no longer have access to town. Don’t ever recall checking the bounty and having it spawned in town when you leave the building, But I like the idea of the bounty spawning somewhere on the map you are in.
6. Missing spells: Ring of Fire……Golden Touch….. Would like to see all spells implemented. Ring of Fire was an important spell in Enroth, But then so was Golden Touch.
7. Enroth, New Sorpigal well that adds +2 luck is… well only works sometimes even though the characters luck is <= 14 and the well has not been used before. Sometimes it just says “refreshing” and gives no bonus. Same thing happens with the luck well on Antagarich, Emerald Island. I Just don’t know what triggers the well to stop working?
8. Enroth, Teacher auto notes does not show anything. Guessing that the info just needs to be added to the “Teacher autonotes.txt” file.
9. Enroth, History tab shows Day of the Destroyer(Jadame) story line.
10. This isn’t a glitch but plz have story line items(Scrolls ect…) removed from your inventory when they are no longer needed for quests. I always had an inventory full of useless quest items at the end of Enroth.

I will continue to post my findings as long as someone is willing to listen! ;)
Plz keep this project going! This is the coolest thing I have found on the internet in a long time! CHEERS!

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 18 Oct 2018, 14:46

Yandex translation:

don't forget that merge is based on the mechanics of the 8 part. and means some things in 6 and 7 parts of will changed in accordance with these mechanics.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 18 Oct 2018, 16:06

Yaknchuk wrote:First of all, Thanks Rodril, Grayface and everyone who has helped in making this possible!! I am a huge fan of the M&M series.
I really want to help this project and the only way I know how to help ATM is to give feedback on game play. So I fired up a new game in Enroth and here is what I've found so far:
Enroth = MM6 Antagarich = MM7 Jadame = MM8
1. Alchemy doesn’t exist in Enroth and the Potion Settings.txt “Required mastery” makes it impossible to create anything other than basic potions on Enroth. Alchemy is also attainable as a skill on Enroth and should be removed as there are no alchemy trainers on Enroth. But…without getting the alchemy skill you cannot mix potions at all.
2. Cauldrons in Enroth Temple of Baa in Castle Ironfist sometimes fail to give the +2 bonus to resistance and all cauldrons that give resistance to fire seem to fail in giving the +2 bonus.
3. Not all the classes are represented in the class skills.txt file. BattleMage, HighPriest and there should be 2 WarriorMage’s. 1 from Enroth, The last Archer promotion and 1 from Antagarich the first archer promotion. That being said, I think there should be a Class Skills.txt for all 3 continents. Ie…..Class Skills6.txt, Class Skills7.txt, Class Skills8.txt Would make things easy to change but I also don’t know how easy that would be to do or if it’s even possible?
4. Black potions in Enroth give +50 to a stat, Vanilla Enroth was:
Essence of Accuracy +15 Accuracy, -5 Luck permanently
Essence of Endurance +15 Endurance, -1 all other permanently
Essence of Intellect +15 Intellect, -5 Might permanently
Essence of Luck +15 Luck, -5 Accuracy permanently
Essence of Might +15 Might, -5 Intellect permanently
Essence of Personality +15 Personality, -5 Speed permanently
Essence of Speed +15 Speed, -5 Personality permanently
Looks like all potions are based off of Jadame.
5. Enroth, Bounty hunts can spawn in New Sorpigal while party is at level 1 and checks the bounty hunting quest. This really sucks when it turns out to be a very high level creature and you no longer have access to town. Don’t ever recall checking the bounty and having it spawned in town when you leave the building, But I like the idea of the bounty spawning somewhere on the map you are in.
6. Missing spells: Ring of Fire……Golden Touch….. Would like to see all spells implemented. Ring of Fire was an important spell in Enroth, But then so was Golden Touch.
7. Enroth, New Sorpigal well that adds +2 luck is… well only works sometimes even though the characters luck is <= 14 and the well has not been used before. Sometimes it just says “refreshing” and gives no bonus. Same thing happens with the luck well on Antagarich, Emerald Island. I Just don’t know what triggers the well to stop working?
8. Enroth, Teacher auto notes does not show anything. Guessing that the info just needs to be added to the “Teacher autonotes.txt” file.
9. Enroth, History tab shows Day of the Destroyer(Jadame) story line.
10. This isn’t a glitch but plz have story line items(Scrolls ect…) removed from your inventory when they are no longer needed for quests. I always had an inventory full of useless quest items at the end of Enroth.

I will continue to post my findings as long as someone is willing to listen! ;)
Plz keep this project going! This is the coolest thing I have found on the internet in a long time! CHEERS!
I will have to add some of these things into the bug tracker, but almost half of the things seems to be not understanding how things work. For example - classes from different games with the same name were combined. There will be no "two warrior mages" classes.
From what I know the bounty monster should spawn either on the map, or inside a dungeon in the map. It spawning in the town seems like a glitch to me.
Also finally someone that agrees with me on the Ring of Fire and Golden Touch spells. The tracker includes a whole list of all the spells from MM6 and MM7 that are not in MM8 (and thus not in the merge). There is a surprising amount of them.
I remember wondering about the luck wells in the vanilla too, so I think that is the way they are supposed to be.

Yaknchuk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yaknchuk » 18 Oct 2018, 21:59

Templayer wrote:
Yaknchuk wrote:
I will have to add some of these things into the bug tracker, but almost half of the things seems to be not understanding how things work. For example - classes from different games with the same name were combined. There will be no "two warrior mages" classes.
I agree that I misunderstood how things work. I was assuming that if I was playing on Enroth I would be playing by MM6 rules.
and that
The combining classes would work if they were the same promotion level. but the WarriorMage from Enroth is the third promotion and the WarriorMage from Antagarich is the second promotion. So when the Archer becomes a WarriorMage in Antagarich they receives no new HP/SP according to Class extra.txt the WarriorMage is based off the second promotion and without a BattleMage Promotion The Archer in Enroth Recieves nothing for their first promotion and only 2nd promotion level bonus on their third promotion. This also leaves you with the same for Class skills.
Unless I am missing something? :D

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 19 Oct 2018, 06:59

I redrawn the armor from the MM7.
Last edited by kristal on 19 Oct 2018, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 19 Oct 2018, 07:27

Yaknchuk wrote:
Templayer wrote:
Yaknchuk wrote:
I agree that I misunderstood how things work. I was assuming that if I was playing on Enroth I would be playing by MM6 rules.
and that
The combining classes would work if they were the same promotion level. but the WarriorMage from Enroth is the third promotion and the WarriorMage from Antagarich is the second promotion. So when the Archer becomes a WarriorMage in Antagarich they receives no new HP/SP according to Class extra.txt the WarriorMage is based off the second promotion and without a BattleMage Promotion The Archer in Enroth Recieves nothing for their first promotion and only 2nd promotion level bonus on their third promotion. This also leaves you with the same for Class skills.
Unless I am missing something? :D
No, it's just that on Enroth you now have Archer > Warrior Mage > Master Archer rather than Archer > Battle Mage > Warrior Mage. There is no overlap and the regular promotion scheme is preserved. I agree regarding alchemy - somehow despite its difficulty and super rudimentary potion mixing system, MM6 didn't require alchemy to beat. But I think adding at the very least expert and master teachers (to home NPCs who mention alchemy, preferably) would be desirable. MM6's alchemy system won't be missed, but everyone should be given an equal footing. As for the spells, I personally don't feel those are necessary, as mm7's overhaul made the spell system better in pretty much every way, but hey - I wouldn't protest if some of those spells appeared exclusively as scrolls I guess.
kristal wrote:I redrawn the armor from the MM7.
Hey, these look really good! Fantastic work! If you choose to keep it up, make sure you coordinate with Grayface regarding the Royal Leather, as he's already done Hareck's. Then again, maybe it wouldn't hurt if they didn't look identical? Dunno. Anyway, great work here!
Last edited by Xfing on 19 Oct 2018, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 19 Oct 2018, 11:47

So, don't anybody know about gem collection quest? I'm stucked.

Return to “Might and Magic”