Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
philosoraptor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby philosoraptor » 15 Aug 2018, 03:40

So, I just installed this and it seems to be working okay for the most part, except that the sound is crackly and sometimes things play twice in rapid succession. This was true both before and after installing the HD mod - that neither helped nor made it worse. I'm pretty sure I wasn't having this issue before installing the mod, though I can't be 100% sure as it's been a long time since my previous attempt at playing MM8. Any idea what might be causing that?
Last edited by philosoraptor on 15 Aug 2018, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

majaczek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby majaczek » 15 Aug 2018, 14:33

@phil
you need to install the HD *AND* configure it
HD thing from DG-Voodoo should work for many games but require config per game. hopefully I explained it well

@All
where to find philo stones? I have 5 from clanker's lab but I need 5 more for Verdant
Last edited by majaczek on 15 Aug 2018, 16:05, edited 2 times in total.

Mortis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mortis » 15 Aug 2018, 20:41

majaczek wrote:@phil
you need to install the HD *AND* configure it
HD thing from DG-Voodoo should work for many games but require config per game. hopefully I explained it well

@All
where to find philo stones? I have 5 from clanker's lab but I need 5 more for Verdant
Zabijaj smoki i tytanów. Kamienie można znaleźć w ich zwłokach

giant008
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby giant008 » 16 Aug 2018, 21:39

Hi Guys,

Is there any way (script) to change the magic properties of the items? I found the stditems.txt and specitems.txt in the EnglishT.lod but is there any way to edit those bonus values?

Thanx a lot.

Mortis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mortis » 17 Aug 2018, 08:51

giant008 wrote:Hi Guys,

Is there any way (script) to change the magic properties of the items? I found the stditems.txt and specitems.txt in the EnglishT.lod but is there any way to edit those bonus values?

Thanx a lot.
You should be more specific what kind of bonus you are talking about. Using stditems and specitems you can do two things- set the chance of being found/looted with specific kind of items and change bonus range from stditems. For example, six level items(the highiest ones) have range from 12 to 25. This means that you can find them with 12 bonus to for example alchemy, or 25 bonus. If you set min and max value to 25 you will find items always with 25 bonus( 12 bonus to unarmed, dodging and armaster skills because they are exceptions). Changing value to 30 will increase max bonus to 30.
If you want to change bonus values from specitems.txt, for example make inferno bonus from 3-18 fire damage to let say 10-30, you need to work with mmextension console using scripts from grayface site. I can't be helpfull with this matter, because i tried on my own and it didnt work. For sure, i do something wrong. Ask Rodril or Grayface for help. Maybe lightbringer23 can also help you
Last edited by Mortis on 17 Aug 2018, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 17 Aug 2018, 21:10

How to add a new race? I changed the files Class Starting Stats.txt and Character selection.txt, but it is not working.
Last edited by kristal on 18 Aug 2018, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 20 Aug 2018, 00:17

Mortis wrote:

Thanx a lot.
You should be more specific what kind of bonus you are talking about. Using stditems and specitems you can do two things- set the chance of being found/looted with specific kind of items and change bonus range from stditems. For example, six level items(the highiest ones) have range from 12 to 25. This means that you can find them with 12 bonus to for example alchemy, or 25 bonus. If you set min and max value to 25 you will find items always with 25 bonus( 12 bonus to unarmed, dodging and armaster skills because they are exceptions). Changing value to 30 will increase max bonus to 30.
If you want to change bonus values from specitems.txt, for example make inferno bonus from 3-18 fire damage to let say 10-30, you need to work with mmextension console using scripts from grayface site. I can't be helpfull with this matter, because i tried on my own and it didnt work. For sure, i do something wrong. Ask Rodril or Grayface for help. Maybe lightbringer23 can also help you
Best look toward Rodril or Grayface. I just took a look, and the only thing that I saw involved ExtraArtifacts.lua. You can edit that script to change the effects of the Artifacts in the game, but not normal enchantments. I'm sure there's a way to change standard bonuses like Inferno, but I don't know what it is. Mortis is quite right about changing the range available for the other types of enchantments. I did it for my game.
Last edited by lightbringer23 on 20 Aug 2018, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

Mortis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mortis » 20 Aug 2018, 21:29

lightbringer23 wrote:
Mortis wrote:

Thanx a lot.
Best look toward Rodril or Grayface. I just took a look, and the only thing that I saw involved ExtraArtifacts.lua. You can edit that script to change the effects of the Artifacts in the game, but not normal enchantments. I'm sure there's a way to change standard bonuses like Inferno, but I don't know what it is. Mortis is quite right about changing the range available for the other types of enchantments. I did it for my game.
Can you give me an example how and what did you change by editing ExtraArtifacts.lua? Did you use TXedit or different program?

giant008
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby giant008 » 21 Aug 2018, 05:09

Mortis wrote:

Thanx a lot.

I would like to change e.g. the "of Doom" property (+1 to Seven Stats, HP, SP, Armor, Resistances) - I would like to change it to +5 or +10, because that +1 is not very usefull in the endgame...Also, I would like to change the "of The Eclipse" property (+10 Spell points and Regenerate Spell points over time) to +30 SP - to be more usefull towards endgame...

Also, I found this script among the examples in the manual how to change the following:

Q: Is there a way to change values of enchantments? For example, to make Of the Gods one give say +30 stats instead of +10?
A:
function events.CalcStatBonusByItems(t)
if t.Stat >= const.Stats.Might and t.Stat <= const.Stats.Luck then
for it in t.Player:EnumActiveItems() do
if it.Bonus2 == 2 then
t.Result = t.Result + 20
end
end
end
end

One more question to this - how can I change the item description? After applying this script the item description still says: +10 to all attributes, despite it really increases +30...

According to this, I believe there is a script, how to change any other item enchantment...

So, if someone has the knowledge, please share... :)

Thank you very much.

FfuzzyLogik
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FfuzzyLogik » 21 Aug 2018, 07:47

One quick note in case anyone else has this issue.

In New Sorpigal, I wasn't initially able to get the Cobra Eggs buyer to buy my Cobra Eggs. I discovered this was because I stored them in the 5th character's inventory. I suspect there's something hardcoded, as there was no 5th character in vanilla MM6. I moved them to the 1st character's inventory and everything proceeded as normal. Just a head's up for adventuring in Enroth (and possibly Antagarich). The "glitch" may appear elsewhere in the game, too.
I tryed to mod MM6 but haven't finished. When I opened some things in, it was coded "if on player one you see this item, delete it and add XXX" but for sure it was coded for player 1,2,3,4 but not 5. So you'll have the same thing for all quests in MM6, it will normally not search on player 5 if there is some item stored.

I agree with the person who asks to add NPC, in MM6-7 they were very intresting and of use. I think its nice but all up to you. I can understand you won't have ability to fly or townsportal at start but it can be just deleted the "overpowered" NPC maybe ?

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 22 Aug 2018, 03:40

@Rodril
I ran into an issue in the Dark Dwarf Compound. The Metal Rod didn't appear for me, though I had the quest. In a previous game, I've had it appear. The chest where I expected it to appear was very full, so it may have fallen victim to the "too full chests" issue. I have Grayface's chest fix deployed, but I don't know if there's an odd interaction with it and the Metal Rod. Unfortunately, I don't have a good save before I first entered the Compound, or I'd just reload and try the dungeon again.

In any case, is there a workaround to obtain the rod? Whether it's respawning the dungeon or adding the item via console, I just need to know what to do.

giant008
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby giant008 » 22 Aug 2018, 08:25

lightbringer23 wrote:@Rodril
I ran into an issue in the Dark Dwarf Compound. The Metal Rod didn't appear for me, though I had the quest. In a previous game, I've had it appear. The chest where I expected it to appear was very full, so it may have fallen victim to the "too full chests" issue. I have Grayface's chest fix deployed, but I don't know if there's an odd interaction with it and the Metal Rod. Unfortunately, I don't have a good save before I first entered the Compound, or I'd just reload and try the dungeon again.

In any case, is there a workaround to obtain the rod? Whether it's respawning the dungeon or adding the item via console, I just need to know what to do.

Hi,

open up the console by pressing Ctrl+F1, then type "evt.GiveItem {1,0,663}" then execute the command by pressing Ctrl+Enter...

Enjoy! :)

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 24 Aug 2018, 04:05

@giant008
Worked like a charm. Thanks :)

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 25 Aug 2018, 08:20

First, where's the Adventurer's Inn in Enroth (M&M6)? Second, some quests are still getting stuck in the quest log, even after completion. Such as the "Deliver Ingredients for Black Potion" quests (M&M8), the quest to visit Niles Stantley in Tatalia (M&M 7), as well as the quest to Deface the altar in the Monolith west of Silver Cove (M&M6). I've hired a Stonecutter and Carpenter NPC, and yet Lord Anthony Stone won't recognize that i have them (M&M6). I received the quest to place the statues in Sweetwater, Kriegspire, Dragonsand, Mire of the Damned, and Bootleg Bay from Twilen in Blackshire (M&M6), yet he seems to have not given me the actual statues...

Also, when fighting Dark Dwarves and Boulders in the Druid Circle (M&M8), i'm getting this debug console error message popping up...
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...ht and Magic 8\Scripts\General\AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua:609: array index (68) out of bounds [0, 54]

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
...ht and Magic 8\Scripts\General\AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua:609: in function <...ht and Magic 8\Scripts\General\AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua:607>
[C]: in function 'pcall'
Scripts/Core/Common.lua:102: in function 'pcall2'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1653: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1650>

arguments of '...ht and Magic 8\Scripts\General\AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua:609':
d = (table: 0x0a21e5d8)

local variables of '...ht and Magic 8\Scripts\General\AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua:609':
(*temporary) = (table: 0x14cdde08)
(*temporary) = 68
(*temporary) = (function: 0x14cde3f0)
(*temporary) = (function: 0x05c134c8)
(*temporary) = 1.7412741017369e-278

upvalues of '...ht and Magic 8\Scripts\General\AdaptiveMonstersStats.lua:609':
ReadyMons = (table: 0x18885188)
ceil = (function: builtin#39)
MonBolStep = (table: 0x188851b0)
----------------------------------------------------------------
>
Last edited by Daedros on 25 Aug 2018, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 25 Aug 2018, 09:15

I'm Russian, so I'll use a translator:

1. Adventurer's Inn
2. Stonecutter and Carpenter must be brought to Church in free haven/
3. Statues are in a chest next to the house.
Last edited by alexseevdenis on 25 Aug 2018, 09:19, edited 3 times in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 25 Aug 2018, 10:04

Thanks. Read my quest log again, and realized i had to take them to Temple Stone in Free Haven, lol.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 26 Aug 2018, 09:17

Six years ago I made a account here and last time I logged in was three years ago. Took me quite a while to find out my password, just so I could thank you for doing this. This is a humongous amount of work. I cannot almost believe someone did this. You probably spent more time doing this than Limbic (the company that did mobile games originally...) on MM10.

I agree on the merge - it should be a merge that can THEN serve as a base for mods and ... perhaps a real MM9 and a real MM10. (adding Orcs, Genies and whatnot)

I read all the 39 pages. Took me about 10 hours. I have a few notes there and there. Let me go through it.

1. Documentation - some people keep asking the same questions over and over. How are you not insane from it at this point I do not know. You have a lot of patience, I guess. :D
2. Bug tracker - some bugs were reported up to FIVE times in this thread before getting solved. Also people keep reporting bugs that have already been reported. IF there was a bug tracker where we could easily see what has been reported already, those would be mitigated, and also much easier for you to manage without losing track on some things.
3. MM8 was quite unfinished (not as much as MM9, which has sketcharts for paperdolls, no alchemy and was released essentially in an alpha version, as said by one of the devs. Not beta, alpha!), so some things should be taken with a grain of salt - the "class/race" system of MM8 for example. They wanted all the classes from the previous game to return (druid circle, hint hint), but with additional races, that this time also affected skills (the abilities and such). But they ran out of time so they had to mash everything they had into one pile of crud. That's how that came to be. So we should be able to make for example a minotaur druid if we wish, because THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL DEV INTENTION. (for other people that do not know - in MM8 it works actually technically the same as in MM7 - if you choose a Minotaur, then the race will be Minotaur and the class will be minotaur. With the MM8CHE editor in vanilla you can modify those seperately. So you can make a Dragon Necromancer, a Dark Elf Priest, or anything like that)
4. Bolstering should take the first continent into account by default as well, since quite a few people are interested in doing the start location of one continent - proceed to the start location of the next continent and doing that one, and so forth.
5. Painting an Antagarich dragon for a paperdoll would be great. And not that difficult since he cannot graphically equip anything. We have a green and a red dragon, a black one would be great. You know, for that thing with the hatching in MM7. (was it black? I don't remember)
6. Also some guy said something about adding Genies from some other mod and was shutdown due to it not being lore enough friendly and this being a base mod - I have an argument against that. Genies play a most prominent role in Antagarich. There are as unit in pretty much every original Heroes game, and even as actual heroes (YOG! and quite a few other genie heroes for the Bracadian nation). Just a counter-opinion, since you used that same argument for ... I think it was Minotaurs in Enroth? I dunno.
7. Was the Zombie "race" (race by a technicality) also repainted into MM8? Where is that awesome guy who made most of these conversions! I loved having a permanent zombie party member just for giggles in MM7. :D

Since I am not going to play it any time soon (I'm currently playing normal MM6 for an LP, and I will proceed to do MM7 Good, MM8 Hardcore (no dragons, no tree that gives unlimited white potions thus giving you unlimited money, not picking up any additional party member until I'm LVL5,...), then the MM6 Chaos Conspiracy and MM7 Evil ... doing this will take me at least like ten years given my current time table) I can wait for a fully debugged version (a really polished one) and I have some questions:
1. Can race be chosen independently in the character creation portion? Because if you read the point 3. of the previous section, you will know that the devs originally wanted it to be, but didn't have the time. Also an all out UNLOCK button so that you can have any race / class combo on any continent. Including Skeletons and Zombies. (the Zombie race only exists in MM7)

*opens up his massive text file for the series with MMMerge* my party: a Minotaur Archer, an Enrothian Human Thief, a Goblin Druid, a Vampire Cleric (Priest of Twilight? YAY!) and a Troll Sorcerer. Please if it isn't there already - made it so that I don't have to fiddle with files in order to create this party on character selection screen. I love having options. Even though I will fiddle with them anyway to modify existing classes to my liking (archer class becomes a Templar class, Thief becomes a Pirate line, Druid becomes a Shaman, Cleric stays but is later renamed to Priest of Twilight as the last promotion, and the Sorcerer becoming Spellsword with all the classes having substractions to some skills and additions to others. And adding "racial skills" where needed (vam. abil. and regeneration) Just for my LP though.)

I have been playing Might and Magic games for the past TWENTY YEARS (!!) and I love weird or silly combinations. (looks at a Druid with a two-handed sword that doesn't use transformations in my Diablo 2 LP :D )

For the name of the mod - I know your stand on this, that until it is finished it should stay at merge, but what about Might and Magic Merge: The World of Enroth? Since you already have that naming convention for the same thing with the Clouds of Xeen and Dark Side of Xeen = The World of Xeen. It just makes sense and anybody that knows the series will know what it is about from the name if you were to select that convention.

That is it for now, I will write more as I remember. :D
Last edited by Templayer on 26 Aug 2018, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Aug 2018, 11:45

Still playing! This merge is so enjoyable. A couple of minor things I noticed:

1) When going between Thunderfist Mountain and Nighon Tunnels (both ways), there is a Placeholder Text. It should say 'Do you wish to leave <location>?'.

2) When I light the signal fires, the goblin that appears is called Zog (should be Grognard).

3) The Regnan Fighting Knife and the Mage Dagger have the same damage 2d2 + 6 but a different price. Maybe change the other one?

4) Getting shot by MM7 Medusa sometimes triggers the debug console. It talks about MonBolStep or something. The debug console appeared at the Arena when I was fighting Manticores and Minicores too. Actually, Archers are triggering it too. It seems to happen with enemies that shoot arrows. Interaction with the Shield spell might cause this?

5) Fire Aura and Enchant Item are working much better now, but there is some weirdness involved still. I think the Fire Aura and Enchant Item incidents are due to some weird inventory bug, which occurs at least in Barrow Downs, maybe other places too. Character 1 seems to work fine but the rest of them are suffering from this issue. I'm trying to enchant Priestly Staff and Warhammer in one save file and three weapons in another. Whether the enchantment succeeds seems to depend on the position of the character, on whether the inventory is full, on the hand holding the weapon, and there seems to be some sort of autosave memory involved. The best chances of success are when the inventory is empty. I tried to get to the bottom of this, and these are my weird findings:

In one save in Barrow Downs, I'm testing by reloading an autosave just inside Stone City and using Fire Aura. When I exit SC, the following things occur:
- Warhammer cannot be enchanted in character 4's hand when there is anything in her inventory (she is the blonde MM8 priest). Sometimes it works if there is 1 item in the inventory, sometimes with 2, and even the position of these items seems to affect whether it works or not. It's really unpredictable, but it seems that if it worked in a certain position, it will work again if I reload the autosave and don't change anything. If I move anything around, even if I end up with the exact same position where it worked before, it might fail when I reload the autosave.
- Priestly Staff cannot be enchanted in the hand of my position 5 character (the black lady from MM7), but if I remove a potion bottle from the first position of column two, the staff takes the spell when held by her. If I try removing the same potion bottle later, it might not work if the spell failed on the previous reload. If I try giving the priestly staff to a Monk in position 2 (Blazen Stormlance's model), the staff accepts the spell without any problem. I tried adding things to his inventory, but they seem to have no effect.
- The spell works perfectly inside Stone City.
- Bows work anywhere.

With another party, I'm reloading an autosave on the border of Bracada and Barrow Downs and casting Enchant Item or Fire Aura in Barrow Downs while making some changes. I've found the following:
- Power Staff cannot be enchanted in the hand of character 2 (Nathaniel Roberts's model) but accepts the spell when placed in any character's inventory, including his. The other characters can't use Staves so I can't test it in their hand. The spell works just fine in Bracada.
- Twilight Kris cannot be enchanted when it's in anybody's right hand except character number 1. It works in anyone's left hand. Sometimes it makes the swoosh sound (for example when my female Lich is in position 5, holding it in her right hand), but the spell won't be cast. If I put her in position 4 by removing someone before her, the 'failing sound' happens. If she is in position 3, the spell makes the swoosh sound but fails.
- If Twilight Kris is in character 4's inventory (the brown-haired MM7 lady who Ribannah likes), the spell will usually fail. The same is true if she is moved to positions 2 or 3. However, if I successfully cast it in the blonde MM8 priest's inventory (position 3), then reload the autosave and put it in the MM7 lady's inventory, it works that time... And it seems to always work in my female Lich's inventory (she is in position 5 but the item can be enchanted when she is in other positions too). I wonder if it's important that the MM7 lady has the same inventory background as the MM8 Priest?
- Exquisite Long Dagger seems to be suffering from the same problems as Twilight Kris: it doesn't accept the spell in the right hand but does in the left. This leads me to believe that it's the right hand of characters 2-5 that is problematic, not the weapon itself... However, I can't explain why Blazen likes to have his held Staff enchanted but Nathaniel doesn't... :D Maybe the item type is important too.
- Supreme Flail cannot be enchanted in the hand of my character number 3, who is the blonde MM8 priestess model. It doesn't take the spell in 3's inventory either, but if put into anyone else's inventory, the spell usually works. There seems to be a connection between character 3 and 4's inventories here in that if it fails in one it will fail in the other one. If I remove character number 2 (Nathaniel's model) and the MM8 priest takes his position, it won't work there either. It makes me think that her character model and the MM7 lady are more prone to this than the other ones?
- Again, the spell works just fine if I'm in Bracada.
- Bows work anywhere.

- I don't know if this is related, but the game crashed 5-10 times in Barrow Downs when I tried to click these suspicious weapons in these characters' inventories to move them around.

What is this madness? :D It seems that some locations trigger a phenomenon where the right-hand weapons cannot be enchanted, and sometimes it prevents enchantment in the inventory space too. Some character models might be affected more than others? Maybe the character position isn't important if it's not 1?

Could this be because Barrow Downs is a Dimension Door destination? ...edit: No, because it fails on Regnan Cutlass in Red Dwarf Mines :wall:

6) MM7 Scrolls of Sacrifice are appearing (it was replaced with Dark Grasp).

7) All the enemies in Deyja are friendly (Harpies and Zombies that is).

8) A minor text error: When somebody offers to join you, they say 'Hello I'm X the well-known Y and i looking for...' - should be 'I'm looking for'

This enchantment thing isn't a game-breaking bug by any means because it only affects some areas, but I'm interested to find out what's causing it. I'm still enjoying the game very much, must be my nth party already :D I love the variety added by the new item stats and models. Keep up the good work, Rodril!
Last edited by Phobos on 28 Aug 2018, 18:16, edited 9 times in total.

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 26 Aug 2018, 18:27

Also there was a talk in this thread about making a class that could be promoted to any other class, with the person not being sure about the naming for it, suggesting maybe "recruit". I would suggest Peasant, given the lore stuffs. :)
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

theseraph1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby theseraph1 » 28 Aug 2018, 01:28

well this certainly looks interesting, big fan of all three. can you freely travel from continent to continent? or is it a "beat one, then move onto the next" type situation?

Return to “Might and Magic”