Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Roor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Roor » 23 Feb 2018, 20:00

Hi everybody, I just created my account on CelestialHeavens just because I LOVE this project.
I've been following it since it was posted a few months ago, and I still love it!
No one doubsts that bugs will be cleaned as time passes and Rodril keeps up with his great job.

I have some experience modifying old games (I used to do it professionally) to run in newer platforms, and such.
Rodril, please let me know if there any specific with which I might be of help in this regard!

I even keep a working build of your work to share with my old pals with whom I used to play MM3:Islands of Terra!
(let me know if a link to that is of some use)

Again. Congratulations!
It's the best value Might&Magic since "Worlds of"!

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 23 Feb 2018, 20:43

albahr wrote:@Jamesx are you planning any more portraits/paper dolls for the game? What you've done already is just great.
@Rodril are you planning anything except bug fixes right now?
For now there are only dwarves left and I doesn't know how to port them without redrawing all armor in game. Even if we try to base them on minotaur body we have to redraw armor peices. Besides, I see that munotures are too heavy to become a dwarves. So I can only try to use their faces and make a human height doll for them
I tried to port some relic armor and cloaks but result is.... well not good :D I have no any drawing skills for that, but I'll try again :D
At this time I trying to create a new portrait for male character from other game. it looks like it should be a separate mod because it doesn't have any connection with original mm games.
For now I have problems with color/shading on face, but I'll post here a link if i succeed))

Azon_PL
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Azon_PL » 23 Feb 2018, 22:12

Jamesx wrote:
albahr wrote:@Jamesx are you planning any more portraits/paper dolls for the game? What you've done already is just great.
@Rodril are you planning anything except bug fixes right now?
For now there are only dwarves left and I doesn't know how to port them without redrawing all armor in game. Even if we try to base them on minotaur body we have to redraw armor peices. Besides, I see that munotures are too heavy to become a dwarves.
What is wrong with buffy dwarf?
(don't stare on his hairy chest)

Anyway, leather minotaur armour for paperdolls have animal legs - I think it don't really fit dwarf physiology.
Some editing for light aromur would be nesesery.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 24 Feb 2018, 08:43

But you know guys, you can add new doll with completely new coordinates? Maybe it would be good to make some 3D model and edit it in 2D. I think it would be good to make pose like for Trolls but with smaller body. For example here you have my Gnome for my modification (work in progress):
Last edited by J. M. Sower on 24 Feb 2018, 08:48, edited 3 times in total.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 24 Feb 2018, 08:51

J. M. Sower wrote:But you know guys, you can add new doll with completely new coordinates? Maybe it would be good to make some 3D model and edit it in 2D. I think it would be good to make pose like for Trolls but with smaller body. For example here you have my Gnome for my modification (work in progress):
By the way - is there any progress that you'd like to share with us? I'm looking closely to your mod hoping for it to get released someday :D

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 24 Feb 2018, 14:51

Azon_PL
Not bad)) But you should to remake all boots for this doll too))))
J. M. Sower wrote:But you know guys, you can add new doll with completely new coordinates? Maybe it would be good to make some 3D model and edit it in 2D. I think it would be good to make pose like for Trolls but with smaller body. For example here you have my Gnome for my modification (work in progress):
Wow! It's amazing))) :-D Looks great!
I used 3d models for 2 ported mm6/7 males. Maybe it's good idea to port our dwarves in the same way))
Last edited by Jamesx on 24 Feb 2018, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 24 Feb 2018, 16:36

another bug in mm6:

in free haven there are 2 exits (per foot) to the frozen highlands:
- one on the northeast leading to the priest castle (where you get the priest quests)
- one on the north (middle) leading to the bowmaster castle

no matter which exit you enter, you always end up at one path leading to the bowmaster

justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 25 Feb 2018, 15:10

and another one:

in mm6, when you wanna id monster gerrard blackames in the silverguards castle, the game crashes.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Feb 2018, 09:17

A fine-tuning idea: some asymmetries remain in the skill table due to differences between the classes of MM8 and their previous counterparts, so maybe they should be addressed? I wrote them down and changed them in my game. Here's the file, if you're interested: https://ufile.io/pav30

Knight:
- Knight gets only Expert Leather, the rest of the promotions get Master (gave Knights Master)
- Knight doesn't get Unarmed or Dodging, the rest of the promotions get Expert (gave Expert to Knights)

Priest:
- PoL gets Expert Staff, the rest of the priests only get Basic (changed to Basic)
- PoL gets Master Merchant, PoD gets Grandmaster (changed to Master)
- PoD gets Expert Bow, the rest of the priests only get Basic (changed to Basic)
- Progress with Learning skill is unusual compared to other classes: Master Learning is accessible only after 2nd promotion (allowed Master at start)

For the Sorcerer, there are some skill differences that are debatable: Archmages might be better at identifying than liches, but letting them have GM ID Monster makes Vampires and Rangers much less unique. Maybe GM ID Monster should be restricted to them? Master ID Item at level 10 already lets you identify relics, so GM level doesn't really matter in that skill. It does make sense for Liches to be able to regenerate, but they probably don't need GM Learning and Alchemy over the Archmages: those are huge advantages, and it makes sense for Alchemy to be Druid exclusive. Here's what I did, but feel free to disagree:
- Allowed Expert Perception for Necromancers and Liches (the others get it too and it's needed for Superior Temple of Baa)
- Allowed Expert Repair Item for Necromancers and Liches (the sorcerer gets it, so it makes sense for the promotions to have it too)
- Took away Disarm Trap from Necromancers and Liches to match the other promotions
- Reduced Necromancers and Liches' Merchant Expert to Basic to match the other promotions
- Reduced Liches' Learning and Alchemy to Master
- Reduced Archmages' ID Item and ID Monster to Master

Also another point: I can't seem to find any place to learn Unarmed and Dodging, other than character creation. They used to be available in MM7 Temples.

Bounty hunts in Harmondale, Erathia, and Tularean Forest seem to provide 5 times the money they should have, so bounty hunt rewards might have the same calculation error as ArcoMage wins used to have. Also, the counter for bounty hunt rewards doesn't appear if you win an Antagarich hunt, maybe it should?

A funny feature of the original game seems to have gone: when you used to rest in Wromthrax's Cave, a Green Dragon would always ambush you as long as Wromthrax was alive :D Also, there is no text for entering the Cave. It used to say something about peppermint.

The Tatalia Armor Shop on the little island seems to have its special and normal selections inverted (normal items are way better than the special ones).

Keep up the good work! :D
Last edited by Phobos on 27 Feb 2018, 10:29, edited 5 times in total.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 26 Feb 2018, 17:26

:tsup:
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 26 Feb 2018, 21:03

albahr wrote:
By the way - is there any progress that you'd like to share with us? I'm looking closely to your mod hoping for it to get released someday :D
The progress is slow but occasionally I am still working. Last time I worked on new interface elements.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 28 Feb 2018, 02:39

No credit for completing Bartholomew Hume's final monk quest.
The obelisk chest opens closer to 12:15 am instead of 12:00. No big deal but the impatient may miss it.
Cannot learn unarmed or dodge from temples.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 02 Mar 2018, 01:25

[Edit]

I see Unarmed & Dodging can be learned at "Blade's End". The temples no longer teach it.
Last edited by Anubis on 02 Mar 2018, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 03 Mar 2018, 06:00

Hi everyone, I created this account, to say thank you to the modder and the contributors for this wonderful mod! Beautiful work, and a real new feel to the old adventures for me.

I have a question with regards to the ctrl+f1 debug mode. I would like to change everyones age, to age 18... if this would be at all possible? I have absolutely zero idea how to do so however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Milky1988 on 03 Mar 2018, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 03 Mar 2018, 15:58

hi,
i just found out that minotaurs/elven people can be selected in all 3 games, but vampires/trolls/dark elves only in mm8 and goblins only in mm7.
my question: why not all races also in all games?
justl

edit: @rodril, if you want, i pm you the char selection, which i talked about on page 19.
Last edited by justl on 04 Mar 2018, 16:52, edited 3 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 04 Mar 2018, 17:34

Patch link have been updated, some recent tweaks, plus MouseLook workaround for win10, inspect point five in "known bugs/issues" section in first post.
justl wrote:in mm6, when you wanna id monster gerrard blackames in the silverguards castle, the game crashes.
This was fixed before, issue may stay in old savegames, but will disappear after next map refill.
MM6 map transitions fixed.
Phobos wrote:A fine-tuning idea: some asymmetries remain in the skill table due to differences between the classes of MM8 and their previous counterparts, so maybe they should be addressed? I wrote them down and changed them in my game. Here's the file, if you're interested: https://ufile.io/pav30
Thanks, I've copied cleric's and knight's changes, sorcerer's line is a bit different.
Anubis wrote:No credit for completing Bartholomew Hume's final monk quest.
You've meant award note? Probably I've disabled it or moved to autonotes. Unarmed and dodging now available in Temples.
Milky1988 wrote:I have a question with regards to the ctrl+f1 debug mode. I would like to change everyones age, to age 18... if this would be at all possible? I have absolutely zero idea how to do so however. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, use "BirthDate" property
Party[*0-4 - id of party member*].BirthYear = Game.Year - 18
justl wrote:i just found out that minotaurs/elven people can be selected in all 3 games, but vampires/trolls/dark elves only in mm8 and goblins only in mm7.my question: why not all races also in all games?
After new races have been added, personally for me selection roster started to seem too big, so I've restricted races and some portraits to their original locations. Feel free to tweak "Character selection.txt" to change restrictions, all required data stored in this table, no special coding needed.
I think, classes are already matched in way you described before, or i have not understood your point.
albahr wrote:@Rodril are you planning anything except bug fixes right now?
Unfortunately, i have a lot of work right now, i have few steps to finish cross continent quest but right now i'm stuck, what have to be done now is creating two microdungeons for story purposes, and inventing collision-detection system for MoveModel function (outdoor maps does not support 3d animations by default, so any elevators or doors were not supposed to be possible there, this is fixed, but still, original system of collision detection are not good enough for elevators, sometimes party just falls through it. @Roor, if you have time to look over it, would be great).
Last edited by Rodril on 04 Mar 2018, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Roor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Roor » 05 Mar 2018, 00:49

Rodril wrote:Unfortunately, i have a lot of work right now, i have few steps to finish cross continent quest but right now i'm stuck, what have to be done now is creating two microdungeons for story purposes, and inventing collision-detection system for MoveModel function (outdoor maps does not support 3d animations by default, so any elevators or doors were not supposed to be possible there, this is fixed, but still, original system of collision detection are not good enough for elevators, sometimes party just falls through it. @Roor, if you have time to look over it, would be great).
If you have at hand some save-game near a "problematic" elevator, or what you have noticed so far, that would be of much help.

I've spent this last weekend working on integrating LUA and migrating MMExtenstion into https://github.com/pskelton/world-of-might-and-magic, to see if I'm able to run your wonderful project with that engine in the near future... So I'm already familiar with the collision detection system in MM7/8 :tsup:

MM Engine was not prepared for "real" mobile objects in the map, and it's clear why elevators fail that way... but I"m sure there are many "tricks" we can try to fix this with minimun effort.

I'm swamped in work for this week too, but I promise to dedicate hard-time into this next weekend.
Last edited by Roor on 05 Mar 2018, 00:50, edited 2 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 05 Mar 2018, 17:12

Rodril wrote:
justl wrote:i just found out that minotaurs/elven people can be selected in all 3 games, but vampires/trolls/dark elves only in mm8 and goblins only in mm7.my question: why not all races also in all games?
After new races have been added, personally for me selection roster started to seem too big, so I've restricted races and some portraits to their original locations. Feel free to tweak "Character selection.txt" to change restrictions, all required data stored in this table, no special coding needed.
i already tried to tweak it, but i never seem to get goblins as a race in enroth, but dragons always pop up.
am i right with the following presumption of that file:
human=1, vampire=2, ...goblin=8? or are the beginning with 0 (human=0, vampire=1,...)

justl

edit: found out, that they are in the portrait exception.
Last edited by justl on 06 Mar 2018, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 06 Mar 2018, 12:30

Thank you very much for the reply!

In the game, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but my dragon's damage is not displayed correctly on the stat screen, the damage id something like 7-11, even though I have 12 points in Dragon Ability and he does around 80 damage to enemies. The armor class isn't displaying correctly either, considering the points I've put in to Dragon Ability. Not sure if its actually like this, or a bug perhaps?

After taking the ship from Jadame (midway through completing the elemental planes quests) to Erathia, I can't enter Castle Harmondale as the doors are locked. Am I supposed to do something to trigger the main quest or..? Should I be on the starting island for the scavenger hunt quest..??
[(EDIT) I've just read that you can take a ship from Steadwick to Emerald Island. Wonderful!]

Something that I would love to be implemented into this mod;
I would love it if the 'on hit' weapon elemental damage animations from might and magic 6 were left into this mod... I loved that element of mm6!
Also, I've always imagined having an "energy damage" element applied into the game, with the special animations used from the blaster weapons... I wonder if this would be at all possible..? The Gold Dragons breath attack is so impressive that I've long wished the same element could be applied to my own weapons! =)

Thank you very much for this fantastic mod!
Last edited by Milky1988 on 10 Mar 2018, 03:06, edited 15 times in total.

Kane176
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kane176 » 07 Mar 2018, 12:11

Rodril wrote: Localization:
This is english version based on GOG releases. I did external database to not get confused with all game files, i think, i can use it to automatically replace current files with other localization, send me your *.lod archives from game folder, so i can try to do it.

Can you Please Translate to German? Here are all the .lod
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjzpuQXABPYojW2xNfoJIg3psF6B
Last edited by Kane176 on 09 Mar 2018, 17:15, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”