Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Meldragora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Meldragora » 16 Feb 2018, 04:47

I meant to mention this earlier, but life gets in the way sometimes.
I discovered a crash shortly into the game, while attempting to enter the water guild in harmondale after starting a game in antagarich. I was easily able to recreate this every time. Hopefully, there's something that can be done to fix this, as I (along with probably the entirety of users on this forum) love the idea of this mod and want it to be amazing. I'll check if there's anything on my end that may be causing this as well.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 16 Feb 2018, 20:00

Meldragora wrote:I meant to mention this earlier, but life gets in the way sometimes.
I discovered a crash shortly into the game, while attempting to enter the water guild in harmondale after starting a game in antagarich. I was easily able to recreate this every time. Hopefully, there's something that can be done to fix this, as I (along with probably the entirety of users on this forum) love the idea of this mod and want it to be amazing. I'll check if there's anything on my end that may be causing this as well.
That's odd! I've been able to use the guild just fine. Was it before or after buying the membership?

Meldragora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Meldragora » 16 Feb 2018, 20:28

Phobos wrote:
Meldragora wrote:I meant to mention this earlier, but life gets in the way sometimes.
That's odd! I've been able to use the guild just fine. Was it before or after buying the membership?
hmm you bring up a good point. I didn't get water guild membership before this. I'll try the earth guild to see if that crashes as well, and I'll make a new game to test the other guilds on EI. hopefully that's the problem, but if it is it's still a pretty annoying bug, which wouldn't make the game unplayable but is frustrating af if you don't know about it.
Last edited by Meldragora on 16 Feb 2018, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 17 Feb 2018, 17:46

Goblins are here! :D
This was harder then i expected))) Their faces were difficult separable from the background :D so I had to did it manually every of 56 portraits of each character// I'll never forget this :D :D
Anyway, here they are))
:down:
DOWNLOAD
Last edited by Jamesx on 17 Feb 2018, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Iban
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Iban » 17 Feb 2018, 18:32

Iban wrote:I can't open the game. Every time I try, it crashes/window opens with:
"Reinstall Necessary: Might and Magic VIII is having trouble loading files. Please re-install to fix this problem."
Rodril wrote:Can you start game without any mods? Can you start it with just Grayface's patch? And with patch and MMExtension? Please, try to redo all these steps and find, where issue starts. Be sure to install MMExtension and patch from .rar archives linked in first post and apply merged game files only after it.
Hey Rodril,
Thank you for your help. I re-installed the newest GOG version of MM8, used the patch, Extension and Editor and now it works!

I can play the game, but there are a lot of bugs. For example this appears:

And a lot of graphics are not being displayed properly:

If it helps, I can send you some of the files.

Thank you! Very grateful for this excellent modifications!
Last edited by Iban on 17 Feb 2018, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 18 Feb 2018, 14:25

Jamesx wrote:Goblins are here! :D
This was harder then i expected))) Their faces were difficult separable from the background :D so I had to did it manually every of 56 portraits of each character// I'll never forget this :D :D
Anyway, here they are))
DOWNLOAD
Jamesx, you have my congratulations! Your works are very nice. ;)
Last edited by J. M. Sower on 18 Feb 2018, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 18 Feb 2018, 14:44

J. M. Sower wrote:Jamesx, you have my congratulations! Your works are very nice. ;)
Thank you very much! It's good to hear that from you, because it is your amazing elves are inspired me on this)) :)

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 18 Feb 2018, 15:55

hi,

found a minor inconvienience: started the game on mm6, but already got the "found the missing contestants on emerald island" reward. shouldnt be that way i think :D

also a thought about classes:

in mm6,7 there are several classes that dont exist in mm8 - meaning like skill axe can neither be bought in mm6, nor can they be mastered by any paladin/archer-type on mm6 - one class that can do axes on mm8 is minotaur - is there a fix to this problem or do we stick to the mm8-class/race modell for that?

thx,
justl
Last edited by justl on 18 Feb 2018, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

rugharcz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rugharcz » 18 Feb 2018, 18:23

Hi I have played most of MM8 and now i traveled in MM7 region and when entering shops and houses i encountered this error. Do you have some idea how to resolve it?
https://imgur.com/a/3aKwo
Last edited by rugharcz on 18 Feb 2018, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 19 Feb 2018, 19:42

3 Elves was updated.
I cleaned backgrounds on portraits of two females and one male, and did a new dolls for males!

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by Jamesx on 19 Feb 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 19 Feb 2018, 23:20

Patch link have been updated: fixed some items amd arcomage rewards multiplifications; "Of Regeneration" works fine now; Sniper's promotion fixed - talk with Snick again to get quest; Cutscenes about dragon hunters/dragons in MM8 now should work fine; Unarmed and Dodging masters now spell correct texts; cauldrons fixed; I can not reproduce issue with crashes in guilds, but i've changed something, what could cause that, tell me if it helped. Amazing Jamesx' character conversions are implemented in game, we have Goblin race now, but i have not reviewed artifacts yet, so restrictions may not fit item's descriptions. Bow and Disarm skills issues stays for now.
Anubis wrote:The artifact, Hades, has negative HP regeneration on it. To counter this effect, one would usually wear a HP regeneration item on it, cancelling the negative HP regeneration. Your character, with both items equipped, would then have no regeneration at all. In this mod, this no longer applies. Even with Hades equipped and another HP regeneration item, Hades still saps your HP.
What regeneration bonus does your item have? Some of them were broken.
Iban wrote: I can play the game, but there are a lot of bugs. For example this appears:
Are you sure, you have applied Game files after patch and extension? Try to reapply gamefiles, some of them might be corrupted, total size is about 1.6 gb. Apply latest patch on top of it.
justl wrote:found a minor inconvienience: started the game on mm6, but already got the "found the missing contestants on emerald island" reward. shouldnt be that way i think :D
also a thought about classes:
in mm6,7 there are several classes that dont exist in mm8 - meaning like skill axe can neither be bought in mm6, nor can they be mastered by any paladin/archer-type on mm6 - one class that can do axes on mm8 is minotaur - is there a fix to this problem or do we stick to the mm8-class/race modell for that?
Ouch. I'll look into awards, definetly it should not happen. I did not inspect skills in depth, but we can tweak "Class skills.txt" to allow other classes to learn axe as well. Current system uses mm7 class/race approach: Race define starting stats, class can be changed, minotaur, for example, can be also knight, cleric or druid. I don't play too much at the moment, so don't know which class should be awarded with grandmastery of axe skill, if you have suggestions based on game experience, share it please.
rugharcz wrote:Hi I have played most of MM8 and now i traveled in MM7 region and when entering shops and houses i encountered this error. Do you have some idea how to resolve it?
Check "Mightdod.lod" archive in "Anims" folder, it's size should be about 250mb, .smk files stored there. MMArchive allow to inspect these archives: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi3ya4vjpzbwd ... e.rar?dl=0 . If reported *.smk file is in archive, but error persist, try to redownload "Mightdod.lod" and "HouseMovies.txt" from game files and replace current.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 20 Feb 2018, 20:38

Rodril wrote: Ouch. I'll look into awards, definetly it should not happen. I did not inspect skills in depth, but we can tweak "Class skills.txt" to allow other classes to learn axe as well. Current system uses mm7 class/race approach: Race define starting stats, class can be changed, minotaur, for example, can be also knight, cleric or druid. I don't play too much at the moment, so don't know which class should be awarded with grandmastery of axe skill, if you have suggestions based on game experience, share it please.
well i had this in mind:
when i first played mm6 and mm7 came out i played them separatly. one day i got the idea to tweak a little bit around, so that the party from mm6 travelled to mm7 (well, via character editor only :devious: ) - same configuration of course (paladin, archer, priest, mage were always my fav choice)
of course they lost all their equipment due to a magic storm or such ... else it wouldve been ridiculusly (<- not sure about the spelling here :D ) easy.
4 humans from mm6 became a goblin, an elven, a dwarf and a human - most times optimized for the relics/artifacts which could be worn race-specific only :creative: )
when it came to the skills/spells i did the following -> they kept their skills/spells on the level they had in mm6, but couldnt advance them any further when not allowed in mm7 - new mm7 skills (id monster, alchemy, unarmed, etc. ... you get what i mean) where treated as intended in mm7.

tomorrow, in my next post (thx for reading so far ;) ) i will try to show which class in mm6/mm7/mm8 are about the same and should as such get the learnable skills.

justl

ps: this is only the explanation what i did tweak ... tomorrows post is the relevant one :)
Last edited by justl on 20 Feb 2018, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 20 Feb 2018, 21:13

Wearing both Hades and Ethereal Ring of Life (+10 HP and Regenerate HP over time) -- Hades still continues to sap your life points over time. Intended?
This never used to be the case in MM6 vanilla - Wearing any item of HP Regeneration along with Hades would effectively cancel both the positive/negative regeneration, giving you no regeneration whatsoever.

Other bugs:

- At the circus: If you have your clovers/lodestones/feathers on party members 2/3/4/5, the Circus Master will not take these items away from you when trading in for pyramids -- thus -- you can spam 'Prizes' and get an infinite amount of golden pyramids. (Haven't tested with kegs). However, if these clovers/lodestones/feathers are on party member #1, then the Circus Master will correctly take your clovers/feathers/lodestones away in exchange for a golden pyramid.

- When trading pyramids at the tents in Dragonsand, any pyramids on party member #5 will not be recognized and the game will state you have no pyramids left to trade.

- "Solve the secret to the entrance of the Faerie Mound in Avlee and speak to the Faerie King" -- Completed this quest but it doesn't get removed from current quests.

- Temple of the Moon (in Free Haven) -- Touching all the altars - the fifth party member does not receive any bonuses.

- Hermes' Sandals: Does not display properly on the paperdoll.

- All artifacts/relics of "Good" and "Evil" were restricted to one who had chosen the light path or dark path, respectively. This is no longer the case. Intended?

- The Wishing Well in Land of the Giants (Eeofol): Every time you click that well, it's supposed to take 5000 gold, similar to the well in Kriegspire. I tested the well with 5000 gold and over -- wishes were granted with no gold loss. I tested with 4999 gold and the well took the gold (Which it shouldn't have, because you must have 5000 or more to make a wish). I then tested the well with 0 gold and 1 gold and the well no longer worked.

- Suggestion: Have the Ghost Ring text say it gives a Preservation Buff as well as that Dark Magic amplification, such as..."of Preservation, of Dark Magic, of Spirit Magic"
Last edited by Anubis on 20 Feb 2018, 22:21, edited 3 times in total.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 20 Feb 2018, 21:46

Found a funny bug with Lucky hat - when equipped it becomes a boot :D
(UPD: only on female character)

Rodril, tell me please, is there any way to to remove restrictions from the artifacts that can be used only specific character race? I tried to search in txt tables, but I couldn't find anything(
Last edited by Jamesx on 20 Feb 2018, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 21 Feb 2018, 20:43

as promised, here is my oppinion which class represents the others best in the other games (sorry couldnt format it better, tabs and space wont work):

mm6 mm7 mm8
archer archer dark elf
druid druid vampire
mage sorcerer lich (bad side)
cleric cleric cleric (good side)
paladin paladin minotaur
knight knight knight
archer/knight thief troll
paladin/cleric monk minotaur/cleric
archer/druid ranger dark elf/vampire
dragon (only mm8 and not very specific on what they can/cant)

as you say its mm7 based, maybe the skills should be based on that -> https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/mm7/Ausbildung.shtml (google translate https://translate.google.at/translate?s ... t=&act=url )
Last edited by justl on 21 Feb 2018, 20:52, edited 5 times in total.

Iban
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Iban » 22 Feb 2018, 19:26

Rodril wrote:Are you sure, you have applied Game files after patch and extension? Try to reapply gamefiles, some of them might be corrupted, total size is about 1.6 gb. Apply latest patch on top of it.
It's working now! I downloaded again because my total files size wasn't 1.6 gb.

Startet a new game in Enroth.. incredible! Thank you :)

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 23 Feb 2018, 12:27

Patch link is updated - recent bugfixes.
Haha, I think that "boothead" bug shall stay in game. Character with "this" will be able to enter somekind of secret level by using sneaky launchpad at Castle Ironfist (fixed).
Jamesx wrote:Rodril, tell me please, is there any way to to remove restrictions from the artifacts that can be used only specific character race? I tried to search in txt tables, but I couldn't find anything(
Yes, if you need it only for tests, press ctrl+f1 to open debug console, type following code and press ctrl+enter to execute it. All restrictions except skill-ones will be removed (minotaurs even will wear boots):

Code: Select all

function events.CanWearItem(t)
	t.Available = true
end
If you want to modify something, inspect ExtraArtifacts.lua in scripts folder. These condition are not stored in tables, all of them in the code.
Anubis wrote:- All artifacts/relics of "Good" and "Evil" were restricted to one who had chosen the light path or dark path, respectively. This is no longer the case. Intended?
Yes, i have not decided yet how to define player being good or bad, except mm7 story choises, which i don't think are very good, when player act at three continents.
Anubis wrote:- "Solve the secret to the entrance of the Faerie Mound in Avlee and speak to the Faerie King" -- Completed this quest but it doesn't get removed from current quests.
Fixed, speak again with ranger promoter to remove quest.
Hermes sandlas does not have graphics adapted to fit mm8 paperdols yet, rest is fixed, thanks.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 23 Feb 2018, 16:25

Rodril wrote:Patch link is updated - recent bugfixes.
Haha, I think that "boothead" bug shall stay in game. Character with "this" will be able to enter somekind of secret level by using sneaky launchpad at Castle Ironfist (fixed).
Jamesx wrote:Rodril, tell me please, is there any way to to remove restrictions from the artifacts that can be used only specific character race? I tried to search in txt tables, but I couldn't find anything(
Yes, if you need it only for tests, press ctrl+f1 to open debug console, type following code and press ctrl+enter to execute it. All restrictions except skill-ones will be removed (minotaurs even will wear boots):

Code: Select all

function events.CanWearItem(t)
	t.Available = true
end
If you want to modify something, inspect ExtraArtifacts.lua in scripts folder. These condition are not stored in tables, all of them in the code.
:D a few pages ago there was a suggestion to make special version of the mod with all bugs like this))))) It would be funny :D

I just wanted to remove all race/class restrictions from artifacts because I love to play with mm6/mm7 races and classes, so any restrictions like this does not make any sense for me. I'm annoyed by the moments when noone in my party can use any artifact))
Thank you so much! I deleted some artifacts items from ExtraArtifacts.lua and it seems it worked))))) :-D

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 23 Feb 2018, 16:47

@Jamesx are you planning any more portraits/paper dolls for the game? What you've done already is just great.
@Rodril are you planning anything except bug fixes right now?

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 23 Feb 2018, 19:44

another inconvinience:
in the freehaven sewers you can find red potions in the "main" room (where the gas clouds are) - sadly they are the mm6 ones.
same goes with the yellow potions which you find in the one underground passage near the end (near where the prince of thieves is, when you have the quest)

Return to “Might and Magic”