Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby kristal » 08 Feb 2018, 18:58

I redrew the panel of magic. The torch and the eyes of a wizard is not perfect and without animation. Also changed the icon of food and gold, gold from ММ6. https://yadi.sk/d/VPTdVEOI3RkMx8
Last edited by kristal on 08 Feb 2018, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Valis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Valis » 09 Feb 2018, 11:59

Just reinstalled The MM series for a playthrough only to find this... Guess my plan changed slightly, also a side thought. For MM8 there was a series of save "mods" on Ravenshore's site that added extra recruitables and/or starting from level 0, it'd be interesting to see those implemented in some way. Just a little nod back to the communities past really.

EDIT: Just tried one of the non-inn hirelings with a full party on Dagger Wound Island, rather then turn up at the inn she disappeared. Think the same thing happened with the troll as well.
Last edited by Valis on 09 Feb 2018, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 09 Feb 2018, 18:56

I've noticed that the Cauldrons which should give elemental resistances only make the message "+2 Fire/Water/etc Resistance Permanently" to show up but otherwise they have no effect.

Also one of the new implemented paperdolls from MM7 (this guy: https://i.imgur.com/0GvBe2J.jpg) has no face animation for Drunk state. Don't know if it's true for the other new guys.

Thank you very much, everyone, for your great work!

P.S.: I would surely appreciate if someone could share with me a piece of script for potions and for over time effects, please. I want to try to tweak a little bit good ol' potion system.
Last edited by Waffel on 10 Feb 2018, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 09 Feb 2018, 23:25

Valis wrote:EDIT: Just tried one of the non-inn hirelings with a full party on Dagger Wound Island, rather then turn up at the inn she disappeared. Think the same thing happened with the troll as well.
Yes, I had problems with new hirelings too! If I try to join someone when my squad is full , they doesn't appears in the inn at all. They just disappearing. Maybe it should be like that. Whats the point to make the inn full of this characters?))) :D

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 10 Feb 2018, 08:44

Jamesx wrote:
Valis wrote:EDIT: Just tried one of the non-inn hirelings with a full party on Dagger Wound Island, rather then turn up at the inn she disappeared. Think the same thing happened with the troll as well.
Yes, I had problems with new hirelings too! If I try to join someone when my squad is full , they doesn't appears in the inn at all. They just disappearing. Maybe it should be like that. Whats the point to make the inn full of this characters?))) :D
So what if you dismiss one of your current characters and hire then the new one. When the new one will be dismissed, will he/she appear in Tavern or also disappear?

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 10 Feb 2018, 09:14

equs wrote:So what if you dismiss one of your current characters and hire then the new one. When the new one will be dismissed, will he/she appear in Tavern or also disappear?
He appears in that tavern only if you dismissed him in Jadame! If it happens at Enroth or Antagrich, he is just disappearing. Looks like the taverns at this continents works not properly. Maybe thats why it was always empty inside

UPD/ I guess I was wrong)) I checked this and I found that joined hirelings appears in the Taverns of the continent where they were dismissed. So there is a problem with only those hirelings which was not joined to the squad.
Last edited by Jamesx on 10 Feb 2018, 12:58, edited 6 times in total.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 10 Feb 2018, 19:17

The last pack of ported mm6 characters is done!
All this guys are based on cliric body pc07.
Also, I put the missing npc portraits of girlb and girld from previous pack in the _upd folder inside this archive

:down:
DOWNLOAD

Perhaps I will make a small update of first mm6 males pack in near future))

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 10 Feb 2018, 20:37

Patch link have been updated. Hirelings will refuse to join, if your party is full; resistances of Priests fixed, these 5 points goes to trolls, as it should have to be; missing dark elf is back in selection roster and Shrine of Gods bonus now gives additional resistances; amazing Jamesx' MM6 portraits have been added into game; jump height won't increase over time (i love these funny issues, and feel sad about fixing them; floating cactuses in arena are out of competition though). I did not check cauldrons in temple of Baa, bow skill, and i could not reproduce issue with circus for now, i'll try to find it's reasons and fix them in next update, thanks.
Iban wrote:I can't open the game. Every time I try, it crashes/window opens with:
"Reinstall Necessary: Might and Magic VIII is having trouble loading files. Please re-install to fix this problem."
Can you start game without any mods? Can you start it with just Grayface's patch? And with patch and MMExtension? Please, try to redo all these steps and find, where issue starts. Be sure to install MMExtension and patch from .rar archives linked in first post and apply merged game files only after it.
justl wrote:since the elfes are already implemented as paperdolls, my question is, if there are the other races from mm7 (dwarves, goblins) going to be implemented too?
Goblins require just portraits repainting, but same won't be enough for dwarves any way. Though mm7 armors fit mm7 portraits, paperdolls in mm8 are simplified comparing to mm7/6: most of armors in mm8 are single pictures, while mm7/6 armors had sleeve, shoulder and left hand for two handed weapon parts. In short words, mm7 paperdols can not behave same as in mm7, so overhaul of pictures would be required. Adjusting dwarf to minotaur's doll, but with human's head and legs seems easier, but again, some armors with pants will require erasing lower parts.
kristal wrote:I redrew the panel of magic. The torch and the eyes of a wizard is not perfect and without animation. Also changed the icon of food and gold, gold from ММ6.
I like standart MM8 interface, it is thin and allow to display game in most of screen, don't know if it should be changed.
Waffel wrote: I would surely appreciate if someone could share with me a piece of script for potions and for over time effects, please. I want to try to tweak a little bit good ol' potion system.
There is complete explanation in video at 5:51 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0
As for over time effects: there are two kinds of of buffs implemented in game by default: party buffs and player buffs, these are described in reference manual: https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... .PartyBuff
I've used this example as base for spellbuffs in ExtraArtifacts.lua:

Code: Select all

local Buff = Party[0].SpellBuffs[const.PlayerBuff.WaterBreathing]
Buff.ExpireTime = Game.Time + const.Hour
Buff.Power = 2
Buff.Skill = 7
Buff.OverlayId = 0
Put this code into potion function as described in video and it will give water breathing buff for a hour, sure, you can bind time to power of potion.
But list of available default buffs is pretty short. For custom over time effects you have to setup your own timer, i think it should look like that:

Code: Select all

local PotionTimers = {}
evt.PotionEffects[X] = function(IsDrunk, Target, Power)

local Time = Power * const.Minute + Game.Time
   local TKey = Time .. Target.Name -- make diffrent keys, so potion will affect diffrent players.

PotionTimers[TKey] =  function() -- put function in table to be able to remove it after
      if Game.Time > Time then
         RemoveTimer(PotionTimers[TKey])
         PotionTimers[TKey] = nil
      else
         *write effect here*
      end
   end

Timer(PotionTimers[TKey], const.Minute*2, true) 

end
Last edited by Rodril on 10 Feb 2018, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 10 Feb 2018, 20:50

Great work. Rodril! Time to play some more :)

The circus thing happened in Bootleg Bay as I was approaching a blue tent in January. It doesn't crash every time, sometimes it will let me click the door of the tent. However, clicking often results in a crash too.

Oh, a new problem has arisen! Suddenly, the party's "current resistances" have been set to zero. The base values are displayed correctly on the right side, and item bonuses are applied, but other than that, the value is 0. I wonder what's causing this? Air resistances seem to be unaffected: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ucdhi ... IeNP5Wex91

In another save file, a Champion in slot 1, an Archmage in slot 4 and a Lich in slot 5 got 65 000 temporary Fire resistance on top of getting their other resistances zeroed. Champions in slots 2 and 3 just got 0 resistances.
Last edited by Phobos on 10 Feb 2018, 21:03, edited 4 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 11 Feb 2018, 01:47

Ouch. Resistances should be fixed now, reapply last update.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 11 Feb 2018, 08:23

Wow, so quick! Now the resistances work nicely again! Thank you :D

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 11 Feb 2018, 11:19

Here is a small update of my first mm6 male pack
There are new bodyes for maleb and malec in better quality.

And most important thing
Unfortunately I forgot to include the edited backdol file in my packs((( Original mm6 backdol has another size and most likely it displays incorrectly.
You can find the correct backdol picture in this update
DOWNLOAD

For now I think the work on porting mm6 characters is done)) :)

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 11 Feb 2018, 14:58

@Rodril, @Jamesx, thank you so much! :D

I've already had experimented with potions and made a black potion for solo character play that adds skillpoints and which is made of two Pure Strength etc. black potions. But until now I had a little knowledge of how to make a timer. It's great to learn something new! :tsup:
Last edited by Waffel on 11 Feb 2018, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 11 Feb 2018, 16:41

I just noticed that the Arcomage wins are calculated strangely. For example, instead of Dagger Wound giving the normal 600 gold, it seems to give 600 per character. This results in way too much money for full parties :)

I think the same is true for apples from trees; they give 5 food instead of 1.

'Of Regeneration' doesn't regenerate any HP. It should be 1 per 5 minutes. 'Of Plenty' seems to regenerate HP correctly.

Starting Snick's Sniper quest doesn't give you the quest log text nor does he give you the instructions. Clicking on the quest again gives the dialogue that indicates the quest is incomplete. The Perfect Bow isn't appearing, so the quest cannot be completed. :S

Disarm skill doesn't stack quite properly with Fleetfingers. Because it's an artifact, the bonus (+8) is supposed to be applied on top of the highest bonus from any item: ring, amulet, gauntlet, belt, cloak or helmet. I got to compare rings and cloaks, and rings don't work correctly (only the highest bonus is counted without stacking, so a ring of 14 and Fleetfingers just gave +14. For some reason, the stacking worked correctly when the bonus came from a cloak: A Cloak of Disarming (+12) and Fleetfingers resulted in a +20 bonus to Disarm Trap for me.

When you take the dragon egg to Quixote, the dragon execution video isn't playing.

The Unarmed Master instructor (or was it dodging?) on Evenmorn Island has the wrong dialogue. It sounds like he's a troll from Ironsand about to join the party :-D
Last edited by Phobos on 12 Feb 2018, 21:47, edited 5 times in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 13 Feb 2018, 17:48

@Jamesx
Wonderful job! Thanks for chipping in!

@Rodril
You should make 2 versions of the mod. The clean one, and the one filled with all those funny issues :D Jumping over the Arena cacti so high you gonna crash.

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 13 Feb 2018, 18:42

Echo wrote:@Jamesx
Wonderful job! Thanks for chipping in!
Thank you!) At first I ported only one of my favorite characters for myself. But then I thought why not to port all of them)) Well, for now it turned out that I'm more interested in porting characters than playing the game itself :D
By the way mm7 characters are coming very soon :)

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 14 Feb 2018, 01:19

I feel you. At some point the game becomes nothing but a polygon for testing own modifications and creations :D

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 14 Feb 2018, 20:59

Here is a pack of some mm7 characters
There are 5 complete new ports and 2 updates of existing ports in this pack.
Girl pc6 have a portrait without background now and Male pc06 got a new doll in mm7 style (the are from the right on the screenshot).
Character portraits_upd.txt is mostly for Rodril to make his work some easier. There are no voices ID applied yet
DOWNLOAD

Jamesx
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jamesx » 15 Feb 2018, 07:01

Sorry, please delete this post
Last edited by Jamesx on 15 Feb 2018, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 16 Feb 2018, 00:11

The artifact, Hades, has negative HP regeneration on it. To counter this effect, one would usually wear a HP regeneration item on it, cancelling the negative HP regeneration. Your character, with both items equipped, would then have no regeneration at all. In this mod, this no longer applies. Even with Hades equipped and another HP regeneration item, Hades still saps your HP.

When consuming apples, your food counter goes up by 5 even though it says you've gained 1 food.
Last edited by Anubis on 16 Feb 2018, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”