Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Rodril » 27 Dec 2017, 07:02

Full assortment of spellbooks temporary moved from Regna to Alvar. (Finally i've noticed, that though Regna spellshop exist in tables, it is not accessible in game...)
justl wrote:is that normal?
No, reapply latest update, issue should disappear.
Phobos wrote:There were some MM6 potions in Free Haven sewer grates, unusable.
Bottles and piligrimage corrected, reapply latest update.
Renekton wrote:I tried to rename files but nothing changes. Here is screenshot. Only mm8 locations look correctly. https://pastenow.ru/d54500702541b16cfa724dc07cc9a483
I could not reproduce this issue anyhow. Thing is, missing textures should have been displayed as "pending" texture (cyan square with red cross in middle), according to the screenshot, it looks like game does not draw them at all. Maybe it is some kind of incompatibility with current hardware acceleration. I can suggest to try dgVoodoo as workaround (it replaces default method), link is in first post in the "Tips" section.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 27 Dec 2017, 10:44

this one?
Update 24.12.2017, use it if you've downloaded main files before: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6bsucr1m5ck ... uQOfa?dl=0

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 27 Dec 2017, 11:20

justl wrote:Hi,
i started out in mm6 with a created party.
whenever i got hit by a spell from goblins or travelmages a debug window opens.
is that normal?
A friend of mine had a similar issue, but it wasn't related to this mod. In fact it was just patched MM6. The lua error was happening in the Abandoned Temple, right in the beginning of the game. We didn't manage to find a solution, but reinstalling and reapplying the patches again helped.
Last edited by Vinevi on 27 Dec 2017, 11:22, edited 3 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 27 Dec 2017, 13:03

Vinevi wrote:
justl wrote:Hi,
i started out in mm6 with a created party.
whenever i got hit by a spell from goblins or travelmages a debug window opens.
is that normal?
A friend of mine had a similar issue, but it wasn't related to this mod. In fact it was just patched MM6. The lua error was happening in the Abandoned Temple, right in the beginning of the game. We didn't manage to find a solution, but reinstalling and reapplying the patches again helped.
i didnt reinstall/reapply patches, i simply tried that 24.12. link again -> error gone.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 27 Dec 2017, 16:15

What do I have to do to make the ambassadors come to harmondale and ask me to support the erathian people or elves? Fort harmondale is restored by the dwarfs (but not completely).
Last edited by equs on 27 Dec 2017, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 27 Dec 2017, 16:42

The MM6 world has some other text inaccuracies besides the archer and priest promotions now that the worlds have been unified, mainly regarding skills.
- some skill tutors show an inaccurate price in the descriptions but actually seem to take the same amount of money as they take in Jadame (like the ones claiming dark, spirit, sword and light master to be free, also expert dark and light are said to cost 2000 in Antagarich and Enroth although they cost 1000 in Jadame)
- some say you need to be promoted to a certain class (Master Sword, Air, Sprit and Plate off the top of my head), although they can be learned regardless of promotion
- some tutors talk about the wrong stat values (like Repair Mastery says it need Accuracy 30 but it can be learned regardless of accuracy; of Enroth skills, only Learning, Merchant and Body Building require a certain stat of 50)
- some describe the wrong skill level requirement for the Master level (12 for most magic skills, Leather Master says you need 10 skill points and Spirit, Light, Dark, Air and Plate Masters don't talk about any skill level requirement at all, but you always need Expert 7 for Master)
- now that the Diplomacy teachers teach Alchemy, there is a wrong reference to the Master Diplomacy teacher by the Expert teachers

I took the time to change all the skill descriptions (almost all of them in Enroth) to match what the teachers actually require and corrected the Diplomacy reference. Here's the NPCText file, if you're interested in implementing these text changes to your mod: https://ufile.io/xipu7

I guess another option would be to change the actual requirements if you want to do that, but this seems much easier to me and requires no scripts :D

I also changed Stromgard's and Stone's dialogues in the above file and NPCTopics to match the classes' current names. Here's the NPCTopic, if you're interested in implementing it: https://ufile.io/dt88n

- Supreme Plate (the Knight armor) doesn't reduce recovery time even though it says 'Swift'.
- Melody Silver disappears from the party only if you talk to Humphrey twice.
- The Circus Master doesn't count points from Lodestones, Harpy Feathers and Four-Leaf Clovers so you can't win Prizes.
- The Shrine of Magic (December) adds Fire Resistance, which is a bit odd. Maybe it could add Spirit or Body Resistance and be called something appropriate?
- The Shrines of Air, Water and Earth have the wrong map texts when you interact with them talking about their MM6 names of Electricity, Cold and Poison. Maybe those should be changed to AWE?
- The well in the town of Blackshire that diseases your characters says that it adds +5 magic resistance, but it adds Fire Resistance.
- 'Of the Unicorn' enchantment seems to regenerate more mana than I expected. In one hour, it gives +40. I'm pretty sure mana regeneration is supposed to be 1 SP every 5 minutes.
- Travel from Emerald Island to Harmondale used to be two weeks, now it's immediate. Even the spells I had on persisted after the trip.
- I can't identify Tularean Forest Peasant with an Expert ID Monster (Rank 4) and a bonus of +3. Maybe something wrong with their settings?
- Training a Master Archer and Hero costs 50 % less than training a Champion, it seems. I wonder if this is due to them being a 3rd promotion or because they are non-mm8 classes?
- Ghost Ring increases Elemental magic skills by +5 as well as giving the substantial spirit bonus, was this intended?
- Touching a magic pedestal seems to remove invisibility (I touched a Heroism pedestal in Nighon).
- If you kill Wromthrax before talking to Charles Quixote, he won't recognize you've done the deed.
Last edited by Phobos on 28 Dec 2017, 13:28, edited 19 times in total.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 28 Dec 2017, 08:16

Another small list:
- when you enter shoals, game places you in the middle of the map
- it souldn't be possible to cast spells on shoals
- I don't know if it is intentional - I visited Enroth for the first time (after beating mm7 and mm8) and I was immediately able to cast town portal to every town
- harpies in Frozen Highlands seem to attack always person from first slot (even when he/she is dead - they took down my knight's hp to -6157 / 1435 )
- after lightning up one of the braziers in Abandoned Temple debug console shows up with text as below:

Code: Select all

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\GlobalEventsNewHandler.lua:138: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'pairs'
	...Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\GlobalEventsNewHandler.lua:138: in function 'LightSrcOn'
	...Magic 8\Scripts\Structs\After\GlobalEventsNewHandler.lua:156: in function 'v'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'LightSrcOn':
	SpriteId = 2
	Var = 1

upvalues of 'LightSrcOn':
	LightSrcsOn = (table: 0x03294168)
	FindLightSrc = (function: 0x0320b820)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
Small questions:
- is it possible to match amount of wetsuits with size of the party? (need to dismiss 5'th character)
- could these crappy MM6 ships be replaced with 3d models from mm7/8?
Last edited by nortonex on 28 Dec 2017, 14:08, edited 4 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 28 Dec 2017, 17:44

Phobos wrote:Here's the NPCText file, if you're interested in implementing these text changes to your mod.
Thanks a lot, I've added texts into current update.
Phobos wrote:- If you kill Wromthrax before talking to Charles Quixote, he won't recognize you've done the deed.
Bring Quixote to the Wromthrax's cave. He have to check it.
equs wrote:What do I have to do to make the ambassadors come to harmondale and ask me to support the erathian people or elves? Fort harmondale is restored by the dwarfs (but not completely).
Haven't they appeared inside main hall of the castle?
nortonex wrote:- could these crappy MM6 ships be replaced with 3d models from mm7/8?
Yes, it is possible via MMEditor, but i would keep original ships for now.

I have not resolved issues with peasants of Pierpont, invisibility removal by pedestals and inaccuracies of descriptions in mm6, rest should be fixed in today's update.

dungeonlord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dungeonlord » 29 Dec 2017, 15:10

Bring Sulman's letter to Regent Wilbur Humphrey at Castle Ironfist

Unfortunately I lost this letter. The seer do not want to give it back to me as lost item.
I clicked on the I lost it text but nothing happened. :(
Last edited by dungeonlord on 29 Dec 2017, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 29 Dec 2017, 15:50

Yeah, the Seer isn't very good at returning lost items. I lost the Devil Plans, and the Seer didn't give them back.

kai
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kai » 29 Dec 2017, 16:31

Quick bug report:
"Of Plenty" enchantment doesnt seems to work , does not regenerate SP or HP .
Amazing Work!

Renekton
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Renekton » 29 Dec 2017, 17:36

Rodril wrote:Full assortment of spellbooks temporary moved from Regna to Alvar. (Finally i've noticed, that though Regna spellshop exist in tables, it is not accessible in game...)
justl wrote:is that normal?
No, reapply latest update, issue should disappear.
Phobos wrote:There were some MM6 potions in Free Haven sewer grates, unusable.
Bottles and piligrimage corrected, reapply latest update.
Renekton wrote:I tried to rename files but nothing changes. Here is screenshot. Only mm8 locations look correctly. https://pastenow.ru/d54500702541b16cfa724dc07cc9a483
I could not reproduce this issue anyhow. Thing is, missing textures should have been displayed as "pending" texture (cyan square with red cross in middle), according to the screenshot, it looks like game does not draw them at all. Maybe it is some kind of incompatibility with current hardware acceleration. I can suggest to try dgVoodoo as workaround (it replaces default method), link is in first post in the "Tips" section.
I tried to play with dgVoodoo and without it. I also reinstalled game like 3-4 times and installed ur patches in different consequences and nothing helped. I wanna play this patch so hard :( I dont know what else i could try not to play in 16bit

nixodrius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nixodrius » 29 Dec 2017, 22:58

You made a lot of people create their accounts on the forum (including me), so you can count it as an success. While I only started playing it, I really, really enjoy it (I haven't even renewed my WoW subscription because, I have to play this!). While I do not have any bug reports yet, I am really curious why you have included minotaurs and dark elves for Enroth. Yeah I understand, diversity etc, but taking into account how people of Enroth percieve Minotaurs (Heeeelllllo Kriegspire) wouldn't be a little awkward to add them? Elves on the other hand seems so rare that it would probably blow New Sorpigal citizens minds to encounter one. Wouldn't it be better to restrict Enroth to humans only like in original mm6 (with inclusion of some new classes like Ranger or Thieves which are already present as NPCs). Just small opinion do not bother, keep your great work, and looking forward for new updates.
Last edited by nixodrius on 29 Dec 2017, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 30 Dec 2017, 07:56

What if the travel between games was somehow connected to the sci-fi element of the series? Like some portals by ancients or any other means of transportation instead of just "traveling". That would make it much more cooler in my opinion and is probably not that hard to implement. Then we make all the "main" questlines of the games to be side quests and create a new big questline which is about traveling between all these 3 worlds with some goal in mind.
I mean right now it seems like we are traveling in time when we move between the continents and adding some sci-fi into it seems to make sense.
Also is there possibility to make custom UI schemes? Not everyone likes the way it is in MM8. I mean not a custom layout (that would be probably way too much), just a theme, composed of elements from the previous games.
Last edited by Vinevi on 30 Dec 2017, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

dungeonlord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dungeonlord » 30 Dec 2017, 12:15

There is one problem with this mod.

I cannot stop playing.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 31 Dec 2017, 15:42

is there any reason why the music is not playing? i can hear sounds but the music wont start.

and i also cant get the game to run in windowed mode (even when i put it like that in the config programm)

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 31 Dec 2017, 18:20

justl,
https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... Patch-v2.0
How to use MP3 Music:
Create "Music" folder in the game directory and place there files from "2.mp3" to "16.mp3" corresponding to CD tracks. Set "PlayMP3" to 1. Unlike CD music, MP3 music volume is affected by Sound volume you set in Settings menu, so it's a good idea to keep it at maximum.
For windowed mode all games require 16 bit color depth, but patch should switch it automatically on the go. If nothing works you might try to use dxWnd to hook it and make windowed. Did you try to switch to software mode using game's launcher? Do you use dgVoodoo?

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 31 Dec 2017, 19:02

Vinevi wrote:justl,
https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... Patch-v2.0
How to use MP3 Music:
Create "Music" folder in the game directory and place there files from "2.mp3" to "16.mp3" corresponding to CD tracks. Set "PlayMP3" to 1. Unlike CD music, MP3 music volume is affected by Sound volume you set in Settings menu, so it's a good idea to keep it at maximum.
For windowed mode all games require 16 bit color depth, but patch should switch it automatically on the go. If nothing works you might try to use dxWnd to hook it and make windowed. Did you try to switch to software mode using game's launcher? Do you use dgVoodoo?
I had already converted the M&M8 music files to MP3 and the merge game files simply added the MP3's for 6 & 7 to the batch (bless the merge creator for being so thoughtful!). Yes these do respond to volume, but my problem is I would like to hear the music but it is way too loud, even at the lowest setting--so I often just turn it off. Also, I am using Nahimic 2.24 (latest version) and I may try muting that to see if it helps--that could be the problem (which didn't occur to me of course except as I am writing this...;))

DGVoodoo automatically converts 16-bits to 32-bit output on the fly, and that hasn't been a problem for me in Windows10x64, version 1709, build 17063. The instructions for doing that in this forum seem to work fine. Can't get the Mouselook option to work, however, because I can't seem to figure the correct 4:3 resolution for my 2560x1440 screen--game displays fine @ 2560x1440 (aspect correct or not) full screen, and I have use of the mouse (have to coax it a bit...;)), but no Mouselook. All of the Windowed display modes keep throwing back an error--can't support the pixel display--and the colors are all jumbled. But as I say, full screen works fine.

edit: Nevermind--Mouselook works perfectly with the merged game in full-screen mode @ 2560x1440. Dummy here, that's me, was trying to use the wrong Mouselook button--gaaaa...;)
Last edited by waltc on 31 Dec 2017, 19:22, edited 2 times in total.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 31 Dec 2017, 19:14

Renekton wrote: I tried to play with dgVoodoo and without it. I also reinstalled game like 3-4 times and installed ur patches in different consequences and nothing helped. I wanna play this patch so hard :( I dont know what else i could try not to play in 16bit
Have you been running it from M&M8setup.exe? I noticed early on that simply trying to run the game from m&m8.exe would *not* work with the DGVoodoo setup...;) Could be that is your problem--hope so, anyway, because that is easy enough to remedy.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 31 Dec 2017, 19:16

"Lost it" topic repaired in today's update (though, in old savegames it will work only for items you'll get after applying this patch).
dungeonlord wrote:Unfortunately I lost this letter. The seer do not want to give it back to me as lost item.
Open debug console (ctrl+f1), type vars.LostItems[2125] = 3 , press ctrl+enter to execute it. Speak with Seer again to get letter back.
Phobos wrote:I lost the Devil Plans, and the Seer didn't give them back.
Same here, execute vars.LostItems[2126] = 3 . New games will work as intended.
justl wrote:is there any reason why the music is not playing? i can hear sounds but the music wont start.
and i also cant get the game to run in windowed mode (even when i put it like that in the config programm)
I've added tips into first post: use "f4" button to switch windowed and fullscreen modes. And change line "PlayMP3=0" to "PlayMP3=1" in mm8.ini file inside root folder.
Renekton wrote:I dont know what else i could try not to play in 16bit
There are few things to try, but it is strange.
1. Rename games.lod into mm8.games.lod and mm6.games.lod to games.lod like with bitmaps.lod before.
2. Start game at Enroth.
3. Press alt+f1 to launch editor.
4. Find "Internal map" button, press it and choose "oute3.odm" map from list - open it.
5. Select any polygon and click "Texture" button, will they be displayed correctly in menu? (Use "caps lock" to switch mouse look mode)
nixodrius wrote:Wouldn't it be better to restrict Enroth to humans only like in original mm6.
There are too few human portraits to give good choice. Elves and minotaurs, though being rare, presented in homm II and homm III stories. Current list of portraits is reasonable but, in my opinion, stays balanced in terms of sense and variety.
Vinevi wrote:What if the travel between games was somehow connected to the sci-fi element of the series?
I would like to make that connections, but even storytellers of original games did not risk to put high amount of sci-fi lore into after-mm5 games. I think, science and "ancients" were key point of mm's mystery, unacceptable to make just side story about them, also I don't have any ideas for that kinds of storylines and "big" story sounds more like additional mod, rather than portion of daily patches.
Recently i've got script for connection quest, which i like very much despite sci-fi have not been involved. Delivering of patches have been slowed down because quest's implementing taking some time. Grayface's editor and scripts gives possibility to realise almost everything in mm engine, only problem is lack of detailed documentation and tutorials, i would make seria of videos with step by step explanation of using it during each step of editing (like item-editing video in first post), but free time really matters here.

Return to “Might and Magic”