Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby Rodril » 23 Dec 2017, 21:47

Patch link updated. Original sp regen repaired, few fixes in mm6 and mm7 maps and transitions, resistances of mm6 monsters have been changed. I've reproduced UI issue by immediate interrupting rest, but could not figure out how to fix it for now, waiting one-two seconds before interrupt should prevent it.
Phobos wrote:I found dialogues and topics in NPCTopic and NPCText, so is it enough to edit just those?
Yes, it is enough, correct class names would be more convenient, i'll fix them in next patch.
Vinevi wrote:Rodril, do you plan on allowing games to be played as stand-alone but on MM8 engine? (Without merging) Would be neat, much easier to patch and mod in future, I guess.
No, i don't. On one hand - less assets in each game, on other - there will be four forks, i won't handle it.
Vinevi wrote:Also sky looks kind of strange, did they use different approach in 6 and 7? Loved how it looked there, especially in software mode, but now it looks much different.
I think approach is almost same, but textures are diffrent. MM7 colors were strongly greyed out in engine, so original skies in mm8 looks toxic-blue. Sky sets defined in Weather.lua at lines 84-86 (just names of sky textures).
Last edited by Rodril on 23 Dec 2017, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 23 Dec 2017, 22:19

- two quests which I finished haven't been removed from current quest list: 'find Blazen Stormlance' and 'Calm the trees'
- I can't finish 'kill all dragon hunters' because when I visit Jerin Flame-Eye I don't get any conversation options

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Dec 2017, 05:13

nortonex wrote:- I can't finish 'kill all dragon hunters' because when I visit Jerin Flame-Eye I don't get any conversation options
Have you allied with Charles Quixot (Alliance quest)? Topic won't appear anymore if you did. Reapply latest update, rest two quest notes should disappear next time you'll speak with givers.

Renekton
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Renekton » 24 Dec 2017, 10:51

Could u please help me? With this mode game runs only in Software 3d otherwise textures of landscapes are white in mm6 and 7. Are there any way to fix it and run game in Hardware 3d?

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 24 Dec 2017, 14:23

Have noticed that Ghost ring gives +37 Spirit Magic only until level 20. Then it's just [your Spirit Magic skill level] + 1 bonus or so. Makes sense as a balance keeper. Whoops! It's +42 after getting Spirit Magic up to level 8 and degraded to +40 at level 10. Quite useful when even a peasant now has about 60 Armor Class.

ADD: Also I've faced the fact that the idea with boosting character spellpower isn't so good after all. The monsters get those boosts too. For example, I've boosted every attacking spell two times from the base value and got blown out by a bunch of Magogs with their fireballs (1-6 per point became 1-12 per point). Only the tough black knight and the same as tough monk have survived at about a third of their 850 HP. I don't have to mention what it would be like in the Pit, should I walk the Path of Light. Those Dragon Breaths are annihilating if not in my hands.

On the other hand, 60-120 damage Lightning of my Wizard feels comfortable and in place since there's not a single foe with less than 100 HP. Mana regen 4 SP per tick is fine and allows to throw in some destruction. Mass Distortion in Earth Magic should save the game.
Last edited by Waffel on 24 Dec 2017, 21:35, edited 3 times in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 24 Dec 2017, 23:16

The money I have stored in the bank (300.000 gold) is gone. don't know why....

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 25 Dec 2017, 01:24

@equs
Did Ravenshore get raided by the pirates by chance?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 25 Dec 2017, 04:16

Renekton wrote:Could u please help me? With this mode game runs only in Software 3d otherwise textures of landscapes are white in mm6 and 7. Are there any way to fix it and run game in Hardware 3d?
Send me screenshot, please. Have you installed patch, MMExtension and assets in correct order? Do you use GoG version or local? As test: there are few "bitmaps.lod" files in the data folder, try to rename "bitmaps.lod" into "mm8.bitmaps.lod" and "mm6.bitmaps.lod" into "bitmaps.lod", start game at Enroth, will textures appear?
Waffel wrote: It's +42 after getting Spirit Magic up to level 8 and degraded to +40 at level 10.
I screwed up there. Apply today's patch, rings won't behave like that anymore. As for one-shots, is that too suddenly? I thought, these tricky moves will force party to finally use paralyzis, controll undead and dread hand spells, to break power of priority target.
equs wrote:The money I have stored in the bank (300.000 gold) is gone. don't know why....
Did you accept Malwick's wand at Emerald Island? Failing his quest leads to invasion to Harmondale and loosing all bank gold. Same with Ravenshore, when regnans landing there.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 25 Dec 2017, 08:22

Echo wrote:@equs
Did Ravenshore get raided by the pirates by chance?
Yes they did, I never have stored money in the bank, so didn't noticed, that gold was missing. Thanks for the reply.

Renekton
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Renekton » 25 Dec 2017, 18:38

Rodril wrote:
Renekton wrote:Could u please help me? With this mode game runs only in Software 3d otherwise textures of landscapes are white in mm6 and 7. Are there any way to fix it and run game in Hardware 3d?
Send me screenshot, please. Have you installed patch, MMExtension and assets in correct order? Do you use GoG version or local? As test: there are few "bitmaps.lod" files in the data folder, try to rename "bitmaps.lod" into "mm8.bitmaps.lod" and "mm6.bitmaps.lod" into "bitmaps.lod", start game at Enroth, will textures appear?
Waffel wrote: It's +42 after getting Spirit Magic up to level 8 and degraded to +40 at level 10.
I screwed up there. Apply today's patch, rings won't behave like that anymore. As for one-shots, is that too suddenly? I thought, these tricky moves will force party to finally use paralyzis, controll undead and dread hand spells, to break power of priority target.
equs wrote:The money I have stored in the bank (300.000 gold) is gone. don't know why....
Did you accept Malwick's wand at Emerald Island? Failing his quest leads to invasion to Harmondale and loosing all bank gold. Same with Ravenshore, when regnans landing there.
I tried to rename files but nothing changes. Here is screenshot. Only mm8 locations look correctly. https://pastenow.ru/d54500702541b16cfa724dc07cc9a483

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 25 Dec 2017, 18:39

Rodril wrote:I screwed up there. Apply today's patch, rings won't behave like that anymore. As for one-shots, is that too suddenly? I thought, these tricky moves will force party to finally use paralyzis, controll undead and dread hand spells, to break power of priority target.
No, it's awesome! Now it's a challenge for real. The game adapts to the power of the party. It's pretty fair when there's a force that can make your super-duper-power-ranger-knights stumble once in a while. And now those Slow, Shrinking Ray, Turn Undead and so on and so forth spells will be put into use.

Thank you so much, Rodril! I'll keep an eye on things that may need fixing.

By the way, I've noticed that in English version (at least) the pain shouts are rarely to be heard. It's nothing but sometimes I just see characters catching blows and grimacing silently. Sometimes in a heat of a fight it's crucial to hear that someone's been hurt. Though the armor clings when being hit, and if HP is low the character says the specific voiceline. I miss those "Ah, just a scratch!" voicelines. If there's any way to make them live again, please, do it. Thank you for your work!

Also I would like to say HUGE THANKS to everyone else in here for helping Master Rodril making MM678 great again!

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 25 Dec 2017, 23:31

Waffel wrote:
Rodril wrote:I screwed up there. Apply today's patch, rings won't behave like that anymore. As for one-shots, is that too suddenly? I thought, these tricky moves will force party to finally use paralyzis, controll undead and dread hand spells, to break power of priority target.
No, it's awesome! Now it's a challenge for real. The game adapts to the power of the party. It's pretty fair when there's a force that can make your super-duper-power-ranger-knights stumble once in a while. And now those Slow, Shrinking Ray, Turn Undead and so on and so forth spells will be put into use.
So the strength of the monsters is always in relation to the level of the Characters? Or is it only in other on other continents working like this and not on the one you start on? And how is this effect working, when you took a high level character, with one with a low level?

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 26 Dec 2017, 02:55

Waffel wrote:
Rodril wrote:
Also I would like to say HUGE THANKS to everyone else in here for helping Master Rodril making MM678 great again!
It's really nice to see another person so excited about this project :) On the behalf of a player who doesn't have time to test things, but will want to play them things in the future, I thank you for your contributions and enthusiasm too! :oex:

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 26 Dec 2017, 08:13

1) I can't find the spell book fly. Even on regna.

2) noticed that I can travel to any continent by town portal but to random regions, when using this spell near the stone circle in murmured woods.
Last edited by equs on 26 Dec 2017, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Dec 2017, 10:04

equs wrote:1) I can't find the spell book fly. Even on regna.

2) noticed that I can travel to any continent by town portal but to random regions, when using this spell near the stone circle in murmured woods.
1) I don't remember seeing it in Regna either, but it can be found in Free Haven and Celeste. Free Haven is probably the easiest place to get Fly.

2) That's intentional. Town Portal acts as the spell Dimension Door in special locations, of which this is one.
Last edited by Phobos on 26 Dec 2017, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Waffel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Waffel » 26 Dec 2017, 11:08

I've found a few of them in the Paramount Air Guild at Celeste. Never have seen it anywhere else for now.
equs wrote: So the strength of the monsters is always in relation to the level of the Characters? Or is it only in other on other continents working like this and not on the one you start on? And how is this effect working, when you took a high level character, with one with a low level?
One thing that I can tell for sure is that the monsters become stronger throughout all three continents. I've started at Antagarich. First significant changes began when my party has reached about level 25. Enemies got spells, more armor class, more damage by hand and more resistances, I suppose (but I'm not sure about the latter). Then I've got three of five party mates the top promotion and the average level of the party has become 42.

Then dropped by in the Temple of Snake at Jadame and saw there former "low level" snakes with 150 HP at least and a huge amount of damage (like 2d38+39), all of them using Lightning, Ice Bolt and some other spell of such kind. They've been a little threat to my party due to the masteries in elemental magic and rather high armor class, but they could do some harm if left unchecked for too long.

For how does the change of the crew members affect the power of monsters I cannot tell. Maybe it's based upon the main character in the left position. And maybe on the average level of the party. Will try to find this out.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 26 Dec 2017, 12:48

Phobos wrote:

1) I don't remember seeing it in Regna either, but it can be found in Free Haven and Celeste. Free Haven is probably the easiest place to get Fly.

2) That's intentional. Town Portal acts as the spell Dimension Door in special locations, of which this is one.
And dimension door is a spell to learn? I found books for learning it, but what kind of magic is it? Can't remember it in the original game. Thank you for your help. Will try to find it in free heaven.
Last edited by equs on 26 Dec 2017, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 26 Dec 2017, 13:31

equs wrote: And dimension door is a spell to learn? I found books for learning it, but what kind of magic is it? Can't remember it in the original game. Thank you for your help. Will try to find it in free heaven.
No, it works like a scroll, you can't learn it. It's been added by Rodril to make continent travels easier.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Dec 2017, 14:33

I'm still playing this, can't get enough of it!

The pilgrimage of Might worked perfectly but Intellect one on Misty Islands didn't. It just says 'You pray at the shrine' even though I talked to the seer before going. Haven't tested the others yet.

The 'Let them pass' sound when you enter a Lord's castle in Enroth is cut off slightly prematurely and there is a brief moment of graphical menu 'glitch' for the lack of a better word.

There were some MM6 potions in Free Haven sewer grates, unusable.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 26 Dec 2017, 20:28

Hi,
i started out in mm6 with a created party.
whenever i got hit by a spell from goblins or travelmages a debug window opens.
is that normal?

best regards
justl
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...- Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:36: attempt to index field 'Player' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
...- Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

arguments of 'v':
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0e558cf8)

local variables of 'v':
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "attempt to index field 'Player' (a nil value)"

upvalues of 'v':
CustomSpellBonuses = (table: 0x0c9b29c0)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Last edited by justl on 26 Dec 2017, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”