Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby ryugasen » 16 Dec 2017, 07:56

The result for the first command was 349. So I didn't remove any files from the data folder. When executing the second command, I get this:
---- Log File Output: ------------------------------------------------------------

Destroyer's Riddles. Riddle One: ""Prison."" Riddle Two: ? Riddle Three: ?

Prison + ? + ?

>

Velihras
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velihras » 16 Dec 2017, 08:30

Awesome project, thank you!

I've got stuck in Erathia after starting in Enroth. The main story hasn't progressed and I'm not supposed to be in Harmondale yet - no butler, Castle door closed, no Markham at his manson etc.

I've also got some questions regarding classes: I realize MM6 didn't have grandmaster but since this is based on MM8 I should be able to make my knight grandmaster in armsmaster/sword etc even though it's initial shown as red (not possible) in character ability menu? I didn't get to test it sadly for I got stuck in Erathia before finishing the second promotion in Enroth. Also is it possible to do the second promotion in Erathia after you got your first in Enroth (for example Priests)?
Last edited by Velihras on 16 Dec 2017, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 16 Dec 2017, 10:37

Velihras wrote:I've got stuck in Erathia after starting in Enroth. The main story hasn't progressed and I'm not supposed to be in Harmondale yet - no butler, Castle door closed, no Markham at his manson etc.
You can travel to Emerald Island via ship from Steadwick.
Velihras wrote: I've also got some questions regarding classes: I realize MM6 didn't have grandmaster but since this is based on MM8 I should be able to make my knight grandmaster in armsmaster/sword etc even though it's initial shown as red (not possible) in character ability menu? [...] Also is it possible to do the second promotion in Erathia after you got your first in Enroth (for example Priests)?
You can get your second promotion in both Enroth and Antagarich I believe. Also I think that you can obtain grandmastery in sword even though it shows in red.
Last edited by albahr on 16 Dec 2017, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Velihras
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velihras » 16 Dec 2017, 11:08

Awesome, thank you. So the journey continues :D

Another question: I feel like the Regeneration spell doesn't really heal as much as he should?! Could be just me but at body master with 10 points it heals for like 3-4 HP per tick that also seem to take longer than I remember.
Last edited by Velihras on 16 Dec 2017, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 16 Dec 2017, 12:42

About Overdune's quest, how do I hire him without having to dismiss a party member? My party started out on Enroth and they're all created by me (no hirelings), so when I dismiss any of them they disappear forever.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 16 Dec 2017, 14:23

ryugasen wrote:The result for the first command was 349. So I didn't remove any files from the data folder. When executing the second command, I get this:
These are lines from original MM's Autonote.txt, only guess how game can use it is if it stored in some excess archive in data folder, this is what you should have there: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrsnc67ieph3j ... n.png?dl=0 , do you have anything else? Try to put it out of data folder if so.
ryugasen wrote:About Overdune's quest, how do I hire him without having to dismiss a party member? My party started out on Enroth and they're all created by me (no hirelings), so when I dismiss any of them they disappear forever.
Reapply latest patch (or just NPCMercenaries.lua script), your followers will get thier flags even if they have been created when this issue was not fixed. They should appear in Adventurer's Inn of your current continent (Inns splitted between continents, so you won't meet them in another).
Velihras wrote:Another question: I feel like the Regeneration spell doesn't really heal as much as he should?! Could be just me but at body master with 10 points it heals for like 3-4 HP per tick that also seem to take longer than I remember.
It is less efficient in mm8: 1hp per tick on basic level of master, each next level gives +1 and increases duration of spell.

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 16 Dec 2017, 14:46

Thanks, the Overdune quest is now no longer an issue. As for the original problem, I removed two bulky files from the data folder (d3dbitmap.hwl and d3dsprites.hwl) as well as a folder called "EnglishT.lod Backup" that only contained one file (Monsters.txt). However the issue still persists.
Edit: Since I have the MMarchive program, I went ahead and checked all the archives in the folder and made sure there is no other autonotes.txt anywhere else in the data folder
Last edited by ryugasen on 16 Dec 2017, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 16 Dec 2017, 19:35

I have found another small issues
- when you leave Erathia by foot and go to Harmondale, game spawns party in the wrong place (on the hill near the house of judge)
- resplendent chain mall (+26 armor) lacks graphics when weared

And a small question - is it possible to make stealing skill work?
Last edited by nortonex on 16 Dec 2017, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 16 Dec 2017, 20:11

Prince Nicolai won't disappear from my party upon resting, so I'm stuck with the quest Entertain Nicolai.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 16 Dec 2017, 22:13

Nicolai's quest and some traveling issues fixed in todays patch, thanks (Nicolai should disappear in one hour of gametime after next game launch).
ryugasen wrote:Since I have the MMarchive program, I went ahead and checked all the archives in the folder and made sure there is no other autonotes.txt anywhere else in the data folder
I'm out of ideas what happening there, but original autonotes.txt can not appear form nowhere. Could you went through all your mm8 instances and put this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdkqmf43adg7u ... e.txt?dl=0 into each EnglishT.lod archive? Just as test, file which was there before will be stored inside backup.EnglishT folders.
nortonex wrote:- resplendent chain mall (+26 armor) lacks graphics when weared
Where have you got this chain mail? It should not appear in game as long as it is not repainted to fit mm8 dolls.
nortonex wrote:And a small question - is it possible to make stealing skill work?
It won't happen soon because of huge simplification of reputation system in mm8, stealing won't be punished anyhow in current state.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 17 Dec 2017, 08:43

Rodril wrote:
Where have you got this chain mail? It should not appear in game as long as it is not repainted to fit mm8 dolls.
It's hard to say because I can't remember. Three most probable locations are (these are my last visited locations):
- Mercenary Guild in Tatalia (in dead body or chest)
- Wromthrax Cave (in dead body)
- Castle Gryphonheart (in dead body or chest)

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 17 Dec 2017, 09:50

nortonex wrote:
Rodril wrote:
It's hard to say because I can't remember. Three most probable locations are (these are my last visited locations):
- Mercenary Guild in Tatalia (in dead body or chest)
- Wromthrax Cave (in dead body)
- Castle Gryphonheart (in dead body or chest)
I know there is a fixed guaranteed spawn of the MM7 resplendent chain mail on the gorund in the island west of Avlee with the Body magic grandmaster.

As for my issue, I went and readded the file to all the EnglishT.lod archives manually. The backup didn't appear in the same place though because reading and writing in program files folder requires admin permission. Instead it appeared in another address "C:\Users\(My User Name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic VIII Ultimate\Data\EnglishT.lod Backup". I checked this address folder and searched the whole hard drive for any other .lod files anywhere else. I even completely removed the original MM8 data folder and put it in an external storage. None of these solved the issue. Starting a new game still has the same issue. I don't really mind it since it is just an annoyance and not gamebreaking in any way; its just a matter of principle at this point.
Last edited by ryugasen on 17 Dec 2017, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 17 Dec 2017, 10:26

^There's also an Officer's Leather on that island. It lacks a paper-doll model, too.
- Should I be able to promote Wizard to Liches in Jadame? I brought Vetrinus the book, which he accepted, and when I brought the Jars to Lathean in hopes of getting promoted, he just keeps saying that I need one for each Necromancer in the party. Is Vetrinus the only one who promotes Wizards too; should I have had the jars at the same time?
- When I promoted Wizards to Liches in the Pit, only the first character got 20 elemental resistances; the others still have 0. They are immune to Mind and Body, though, and their voices changed appropriately. Also another error: the Wizard who is currently selected (and holding a jar) when the promotion happens will remain unpromoted unless it is the first character.
Last edited by Phobos on 17 Dec 2017, 13:41, edited 3 times in total.

DariusArgent
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DariusArgent » 17 Dec 2017, 12:06

Hi, I just found another bug.

In Enroth I killed the dragon and took his claw but I can't give it to Wilburt in Castle Ironfist, the quest discussion for Hero quest is invisible.
Last edited by DariusArgent on 17 Dec 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Dec 2017, 14:35

Rodril wrote:It won't happen soon because of huge simplification of reputation system in mm8, stealing won't be punished anyhow in current state.
Not that the MM7 implementation of stealing made it actually useful except to get a cube . . .
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

jmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jmaster » 17 Dec 2017, 20:37

Is there any way to get into Freehaven severs? Seems that houses with path down are not working for me...

Lord Stormgard took the keys so the second promotion quest cannot be finished. I created another keys via debug, but it need to be fixed in game
Last edited by jmaster on 17 Dec 2017, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 17 Dec 2017, 21:10

Phobos wrote:- Should I be able to promote Wizard to Liches in Jadame?
Lich's issue is fixed, reapply latest update. Yes, but first you have to join the guild (Lathean's topic) wizrads will be promoted to necromancers.
DariusArgent wrote:In Enroth I killed the dragon and took his claw but I can't give it to Wilburt in Castle Ironfist, the quest discussion for Hero quest is invisible.
Fixed, execute this evt.SetNPCTopic{789, 3, 1328} in debug console to get topic back (ctrl+f1 to open, ctrl+enter to execute).
jmaster wrote:Is there any way to get into Freehaven severs? Seems that houses with path down are not working for me...
Reapply russian localization, should fix the issue.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 17 Dec 2017, 21:28

I love how efficient you are with developing this, keep up the fantastic work!

Hmm, there seems to be something off about Ghost Ring. At level 10 Spirit Magic, it gives a bonus of +13.

Shadow's Mask has the right graphic but its coordinates are wrong on the paper-doll; it appears in the top-left corner.

Ninja quest doesn't disappear from the log upon completion.
Last edited by Phobos on 17 Dec 2017, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 17 Dec 2017, 21:29

Okay, this might be a strange idea, but it just struck me as I misread something in a post... Would it be at all possible (in a mod, perhaps, or something) to grow the promotion quests to have additional steps to utilize all continent promotion quests and extend the progression? So that the longer game had some more character-building. Each promotion could then unlock less skill-levels, and perhaps the final one could lead to unlocking more than was originally possible for the given class?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 17 Dec 2017, 22:19

Echo wrote:Okay, this might be a strange idea, but it just struck me as I misread something in a post... Would it be at all possible (in a mod, perhaps, or something) to grow the promotion quests to have additional steps to utilize all continent promotion quests and extend the progression? So that the longer game had some more character-building. Each promotion could then unlock less skill-levels, and perhaps the final one could lead to unlocking more than was originally possible for the given class?
Oh... this idea is really interesting. That way all the continents would provide worthwhile promotions, and there would be a greater sense of progression! My first instinct would be to give Druids GM magic because let's face it, they really suck compared to Liches (who even get GM Alchemy in MM8), and Clerics are much better healers than Druids. A fourth (even fifth?!) promotion would unlock fantastic possibilities. With monsters growing in strength, I don't think this would be overpowered either.

Return to “Might and Magic”