Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby ryugasen » 06 Dec 2017, 21:43

albahr wrote:
ryugasen wrote:I've run into a problem that I think has to do with the new character models. When I try to equip armor or boots or capes on my characters, they 'disappear' i.e. the portrait doesn't change and instead I get this blue square with a red cross appearing in the top right corner.
I've tried to do the same - everything works for me (although some of the armour looks funny).
Here, I recorded what happens (4 second video):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhqmzhhckg9yu ... 7.mp4?dl=0

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 06 Dec 2017, 23:03

Looks like the "texture not found" texture, so whatever it's trying to access with that operation isn't returning a defined graphic.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 06 Dec 2017, 23:46

Actually, a thought stroke me. About "unfitting" classes such as vampire paladin. With Necromancer/Vampire crowd being quite the friendly lot in MM8, I wonder if it's really not possibly to justify. A Vampire is a state of being, no? Someone had a bad luck and got bitten. Must it mean they are not into fighting evil? I could easily imagine a heroic Vampire trying to even rid the world of his own kind to prevent others from getting the curse.

I mean, the sob story just writes itself :)

Basically, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to simply allow all races to be all classes? For diversity in character creation and to make it easier to reuse more ready MM8 assets :)

As long as one assumes that a race does not define the character and their personality, a troll might strive to become a wizard and a vampire can accept their holy duty to cleanse the world of evil.
Last edited by Echo on 06 Dec 2017, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 07 Dec 2017, 07:45

Link for latest patch updated - fix for recent troubles (Zombies in Dejya, mm6 sprites, voices, arena, cleric promo; not mm6 fountains and not items-multiplying during party creation).
Phobos wrote:Arena spawned round, floating cactuses that had no name and caused the game to crash upon right-clicking :D My characters were level 14 and I had the Lord difficulty.
Ha ha, sounds horrid. Sadly, it won't (i hope) happen again.
albahr wrote:- I can't evolve my priest into Priest of Light. I've cleansed the altar and it changed it's texture. Then I got back to Rachel (or whatever her name is) and she did not accept is as finished. So I got back to Evenmorn just to see the altar dirty again (but nothing happend when I tried to click it). Is there anything I'm missing?
Try to speak with her again after latest patch.
ryugasen wrote:Here, I recorded what happens (4 second video):
Thanks for video. How did you get that cloak? Party creation, shop, treasure chest? It was not supposed to be accessible (it does not fit mm8 dolls and was not repainted). Does all boots/hats behave like this? Maybe something went wrong, try to apply latest patch, if it won't help, then, if possible, download icons.lod from main files, replace current and delete "patch.icons.lod" from "Data" folder. New paperdolls should not affect item icons anyhow, i'll look into it a bit later.
Echo wrote:Actually, a thought stroke me. About "unfitting" classes such as vampire paladin.
I'll write detailed response later today, thanks for suggestions.

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 07 Dec 2017, 08:08

[quote="Rodril"]Thanks for video. How did you get that cloak? Party creation, shop, treasure chest? It was not supposed to be accessible (it does not fit mm8 dolls and was not repainted). Does all boots/hats behave like this? Maybe something went wrong, try to apply latest patch, if it won't help, then, if possible, download icons.lod from main files, replace current and delete "patch.icons.lod" from "Data" folder. New paperdolls should not affect item icons anyhow, i'll look into it a bit later.
[quote]

I got it from the new worlds computing dungeon. You are right, the problem is in items from MM6. I only tried a golden chainmail, steel boots, cloak and belt all native from MM6. I got them from the new world computing dungeon; I usually start off my game by going there through the portal in new sorpigal->dragonsand to make the starting dungeons a bit easier. There are 'Desks' and other things to interact with that gives these armor pieces. I guess, I'll just sell these then. Thanks for your reply and all the amazing work! I'll keep you updated about other things I encounter

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 07 Dec 2017, 11:15

I've started to play mm678 (04.12.2017 patch) a few days ago on Antagarich. Here are some minor flaws, that I encountered:
- can't use lute (right click on portrait) to play a sound (not relevant)
- guilds' memberships are not noted in awards section at character screen
- when you enter mage guild which you are not member of, game plays text 'welcome to the xx guild' instead of 'members only'
- Hairbaugh after revealing that he is a traitor, changes name to gamegurl
- stone skin pedestial in harmondale shows correct animation but gives shield spell
- shield pedestial in tularean forest gives prot. magic spell but prot. of earth pedestial is working ok
- elven defenders in Avlee does not attack wyverns
- bounty hunting revards are not noted anywhere (especially in awards section on the character screen)
- characters that join my party usually have messed up items in inventory (actual placement in inventory is different than graphical representation which result is that items are overlaping each other or over the inventory screen, and the sometimes disappear)

Anyway - good job and well done :) I will post more if I find something.

PS. is it possible to rename spellsbooks/spellscrolls from mm6 to match actual mm8 spell system?

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 07 Dec 2017, 13:40

nortonex wrote:- Hairbaugh after revealing that he is a traitor, changes name to gamegurl
??? :rofl:

I suppose there's something to it. You meet a "hot girl" in a game and then the disguise falls off and it's a beardy dude in his underwear eating fastfoods somewhere in his basement.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 07 Dec 2017, 17:16

Lovely, another update!

"Visit the altar of the sun" Great Druid quest does not disappear from the log upon completion.

There seems to be a weird issue about enchanting weapons with Fire Aura. I can only enchant Blood Daggers when they are in the left hand, not right, and Elven Long Spears are very resistant to enchanting. If I take them off my character's hands, I can usually enchant them, but it does not seem to work every time. I'm baffled!

The Arena works great now!

This Dimension Door spell is awesome! It's fantastic being able to travel like this. Just one small thing: Jadame and Antagarich are slightly misspelled :)

Jadame's black potion quests only accept Jadamean ingredients.
Last edited by Phobos on 07 Dec 2017, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 07 Dec 2017, 18:13

So I'm having a question, if I started in Enroth, is it ok to go ahead and do MM6 promotion quests? Or should I be careful and pick them from the right continent?

One other thing I'm noticing is that savescumming outside shops no longer works. It looks like shop stock is determined when you enter the map not when you enter the shop the first time for the week. This makes hunting for spell books really annoying.
Also, I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but regeneration seems to be nerfed (at least compared to MM7). I'm not sure if that is intentional or not.
Last edited by ryugasen on 07 Dec 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 07 Dec 2017, 19:04

ryugasen wrote:So I'm having a question, if I started in Enroth, is it ok to go ahead and do MM6 promotion quests? Or should I be careful and pick them from the right continent?

One other thing I'm noticing is that savescumming outside shops no longer works. It looks like shop stock is determined when you enter the map not when you enter the shop the first time for the week. This makes hunting for spell books really annoying.
Also, I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but regeneration seems to be nerfed (at least compared to MM7). I'm not sure if that is intentional or not.
Enroth promotes to the same classes as Light-side Antagarich.

I guess save-scumming depends on the shop? It worked for me with all the magic guilds I tried.

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 07 Dec 2017, 20:06

Ok, I'll plan accordingly then. I'll take light promotions for cleric but I'll save dark promotion for my 3 sorcerers. Which means I must rush and go to Erathia/Jadame.

I've been trying it on the magic guilds in enroth and it doesn't work. I don't really try it with other shops as I rarely buy from shops.

Two more things I ran into:
1) Some enemies are friendly for some reason. So far, the captain/lieutenants in silver helm outpost and the warlocks in Gharik's forge have been friendly, making both locations much much easier.
2) Requirements for becoming magic master in enroth are still not identical to the two other games. It's weird having to go to level 12 just to become a master.

Ironfist95
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironfist95 » 07 Dec 2017, 20:13

I have a question. Can you switch monsters from one continent to another by editing mapstats.txt? Could I, let's say, put MM7 titans to Daggerwound instead of pirates?

Edit: Ok, did some testing, yes you can. I can already tell MM7 titans are quite a bit larger than MM6 titans. I'm going to have some fun putting different monsters next to each other. :D
Last edited by Ironfist95 on 07 Dec 2017, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 07 Dec 2017, 22:22

ryugasen wrote: 2) Requirements for becoming magic master in enroth are still not identical to the two other games. It's weird having to go to level 12 just to become a master.
The descriptions claim that you need 12, but you only need 7. I've tried this myself.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 08 Dec 2017, 02:11

Few fixes: magic pedestals; reagents checks for "black potion" quests; sudden friendly monsters in dungeons and their relations; misspells. Thanks.
nortonex wrote:I've started to play mm678 (04.12.2017 patch) a few days ago on Antagarich. Here are some minor flaws, that I encountered:
Guild's memebership listed in auotonotes - miscellaneous section. Did not touch musical instruments and mercenary inventories for now.
ryugasen wrote:One other thing I'm noticing is that savescumming outside shops no longer works.
Spellshops are a bit diffrent: assortments still generated when you enter shop, but generation goes for all other kinds of guilds with same quality of spellbooks (i.e. when you entering any paramount guild, assortment will be generated for all paramount guilds, not just one you've entered now).
ryugasen wrote:I'll save dark promotion for my 3 sorcerers
Sorcerers can be freely promoted to wizards at Enroth. Wizards are elighible for both third level counterparts (lich - Shadowspire and The Pit, Archmage - Celeste), same as all other second level promotions.
Echo wrote:Actually, a thought stroke me. About "unfitting" classes such as vampire paladin.
It is possible and does not require any high efforts, all settings stored in "Character selection.txt" table in "..Data\Tables" folder, so it is mostly personal question. I'm afraid to add such wide options because game does not provide any instruments to work with backstory of players (we have biography for each character but that's it). Though vampire-paladin can exist in theory (i'd call it exception rather than norm), in current state noone will react to such gimmick. When you'll enter Castle Ironfist, Nicolay won't hide behind throne because of your outfit, peasants of Harmondale won't grab forks and torchs to cleanse their lands from that "Lord", despite his enlightened thoughts. These are relation conflicts which i expect to endure during gameplay as vampire-paladin, but nothing of it will happen, just because these texts have not been written and screenplays were not directed, what, personaly for me will lead to feel of world's emptyness, that why i'd like to expand continent's rosters by default characters. Only minotaurs are in all rosters due to their high presence in Heroes of Might and Magic (as dungeon lords in homm III).

Lucius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lucius » 08 Dec 2017, 14:21

Looks like Enchant Item does not work on mm6/mm7 items (Tested MM7 Platinum Ping, MM6 Gothic Amulet, MM6 Cavalier Gauntlets)
Spell GM10 Water fails, item not broken

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 08 Dec 2017, 19:28

Two more issues:
1) I can't open the doors in the superior temple of baa, even though my dark elf has master perception. Currently, I can't proceed further into the story.
2) Fly spell behaves weirdly in the Eel infested waters map. You can only go up very slightly above ground level. Also, a lot of magic shops (not guilds) still sell MM6 spellbooks randomly.
Last edited by ryugasen on 08 Dec 2017, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 09 Dec 2017, 04:18

Patch link is updated. Item enchantment and mercenary inventories improved. Fixed doors in Temple of Baa, try it again (it did check only skill of first player before). Eel Infested Water should allow to fly now.

DariusArgent
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DariusArgent » 09 Dec 2017, 09:41

Hi!

First I just want to say that this is an amazing thing that you have done! I applaud you!

Now for some issues: In Snergle's Iron Mines when you free Ghim Hammond he says he gives you a key for the chambers in Snergle's Caverns but he doesn't. I'll post once again if I find some other issues.

Thanks for everything you've done!

Ironfist95
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironfist95 » 09 Dec 2017, 11:11

Are enemy hit points supposed to grow with character level? Because now that I am level 150 everything has 500+ hit points, Supreme Titans have 5000+. Is this a feature you built in to make the second continent you visit more of a challenge (when you have already leveled quite a bit) ?

Lucius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lucius » 09 Dec 2017, 18:12

Couple of minor bugs:
Blade of Mercy can be used by any class (supposed to be Necromancer/Lich only)
Crown of Final Dominion is not shown on character
Statistic shows only total number of Arcomage wins (but should include specific tavern names)
Edit: Can report to Dread Pirate Stanley without quest item
Last edited by Lucius on 09 Dec 2017, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”